ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Odds that CJ shoots 43% from 3 and averages 14ppg somewhere else next year?
Yeah, Northern Kentucky.

I was all for getting CJ and still like the kid, but we should have gotten Adam Kunkel a few years ago from Belmont. Then we would have never needed CJ in the first place. Kunkel went on to be very solid at Xavier and hit a huge 3 to advance them in this year's tourney.

-not gonna trash the kid...wish it'd gone better.

^we have plenty of evidence that his playing experience at UK is similar to other recent UK players. The fish rots from the head atkot.
Good point. The blame should fall on this coaching staff for botching the talent evaluation on yet another in a failed line of transfers.

-not gonna trash the kid...wish it'd gone better.

^we have plenty of evidence that his playing experience at UK is similar to other recent UK players. The fish rots from the head atkot.
I disagree in this particular instance. CJ was given every opportunity to play and shine here. He couldn't hit wide open 3s, which is what he was brought here to do. He had the green light. Cal has plenty to be blamed for, but i'm not going to blame him for a guy missing wide open shots. There comes a time when a player needs to step up and make plays. CJ was unable to do so consistently enough for us.

Good point. The blame should fall on this coaching staff for botching the talent evaluation on yet another in a failed line of transfers.
That's a bit much.

Successful recent transfers
Travis
Sestina
Mintz
Grady
Oscar
Toppin
Reeves
Partially Wheeler

Failed transfers
Sarr
Partially Wheeler
CJ

CJ Fredrick joins the Oh Yeah He Played Here team of

CJ Fredrick
Nate Sestina
Isaiah Jackson
Sasha Killeya Jones
Charles Matthews
You could argue Matthews wasn't utilized properly and Jackson?! He was good for us and if we don't remember him it's because we don't remember hardly anyone who only played here for a year since the Fox/Monk/Bam class or so.

Reactions: Col. Angus
Again, we get shooters in the offseason from the portal and by the time they're on campus they simply can't perform. You could argue that perhaps the stage at UK is too big for some of these guys (CJ certainly could fit this mold) but it's not hard to look at how guys have performed elsewhere compared to at UK and come to the conclusion that Cal does something to these guys. The nagging injuries we suffer every year also play a huge role.

Look at what guys like Quickley, Maxey, Herro et al. are doing in the NBA that they weren't doing here and you'll begin to understand where the issue lies. Cal going on the Mt. Rushmore of doing less with more alongside Dean and K.

Imagine what Izzo would have done with the talent we've had in the past 14 years. Or Brad Stevens. It's nutty.

Last edited:
I'd argue that you're too harsh in who's a failure because your hatred for Cal clouds your judgement. Sestina was exactly what we needed him to be, a solid frontcourt player off the bench who could knock down an open 3. He did that, and he was improving. In his last 7 games, he had two games with 11 points and another game with 9. He also went 10 of 18 from 3 in that stretch.

As for Wheeler, I'm giving him a partial because he led the assists for a team that was a two seed in the tournament. I gave him a partial failure because of this year. My evaluations are much more fair and logical than yours.

I get it. You hate Cal so everything is his fault, but that was a lazy take. And that's disappointing because you usually provide quality content. I mean, if I judged you as a poster like you judged our transfers, then you'd be a failure, because your last post was shit.

During the SECOND overtime of the Michigan State game, a game that proved to be important for seeding in addition to a national prime time showcase, we had Lance Ware and Savhir Wheeler playing a two man game while Damion Collins was at the elbow on the same side. Antonio Reeves, who was an upperclassman that ended up being our best shooter and leading scorer was on the bench having played less than 15 minutes.

Hard to imagine a coach running that offensive scheme and philosophy seems to continually and consistently have “shooters” not shoot well when they come here. Anyone have any ideas what could be going wrong?

And even Lamb/Monk/Aa Harrison exhibit a pattern we want more from our guards. Tune out Cal's bullshit and just go play. I think the disturbing thing is that Cal says one thing in interviews (I want the guy to shoot it if he's open, otherwise I'm pulling him) then you can clearly see him yelling at our shooters to drive the ball or he'll talk about needing to get to the line more in post game or shame someone for shooting too many 3's (Monk vs UNC).

That, coupled with the insistence on pulling guys for mundane shit that everyone else on the team does (missed a rebound, had a turnover, etc.) after actually hitting shots and cooling them off, would easily lead to shooters having issues playing here. Oh, and they actually have to play. How long did we let Reeves rot on the bench before realizing he was our best offensive player? How long did we experiment with Kahlil Whitney while Johnny Juzang sat on the bench? IQ watched Greene play for how long before becoming an impact player?

FuPyFL0XwAMabsU

"...I hope everyone knows that I've given my heart and soul to you and I'm proud that I'll always get to be a Wildcat."

Leonardo Dicaprio Reaction GIF by Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

I don't hate Cal, I appreciate him breathing life back into the program after BCG. But based on the last 4 years, I'd prefer he adjust his coaching philosophy and tighten up his scouting or graciously move on.

Also, you may want to clean his taint stains off your nose.
I agree about coaching philosophy and scouting. But we were talking about the quality of his transfers. In that instance, he's done well.

And the only taint stains I have on my nose are from the lady who cooked you breakfast growing up.

Re: taint

One of the side effects for that Jardiance drug they're advertising the hell out of is a severe infection of the perineum that can be fatal. Seems like cutting out the frappes and taking a walk would be preferential to your taint rotting out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT