ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cal hates Kentucky fans so much that he’s decided to show us what happens when he actually tries to coach his team just to prove us wrong.

Reactions: Col. Angus
* That loss was 100% a result from our dumbass gameplan. We shot 50% from the field and only had 6 turnovers. It is almost impossible to lose with those stats... unless your primary offensive weapon is midrange jumpers and you play matador defense.

With Toppin and then Wallace out, it was the perfect opportunity to play Livingston at the 4 for 35 minutes and ride or die with Fredrick and Reeves as our wings but NOPE! Gotta make Collins' dreams come true!

Flat Earth Fatipari. SCH.

* DoneDeal, can you get baked and make a video of Kentucky basketball "highlights" from the COVID year to now? By "highlights" I mean something similar to Sharpe clanking dunks in orange shorts while Calipari overlaughs about pretending to almost fall off ENG's hoverboard?

TIA!

* I hope Rupp is a ghost town the rest of the year. It sucks for the players but the BBN has to demonstrate this is unacceptable and the only way is for Cal to scream GOOOOOOOOO! to an empty house night after night.

* At least Barnes will pray for us after committing dry anal rape on Saturday. He's like Vince Champ that way.

Dallas and Miami Vice are neck and neck for best TV theme song. I give the slight edge to MV.

CBS Sports Spectacular snip of Fire on High (the goat)
Theme from S.W.A.T.
Sanford and Son

Those are the best TV themes and it isn't close.

Oscar playing 40 minutes (more than once this season) coming off a knee procedure in October is not “players first.” Making him guard man to man with limited lateral movement is either blind incompetence or cruelly intentional. Is Tony Barbee’s corpse not around to teach a 2-3 zone?

Shit, there I go again. While I’m at it, I’m worried (but also certain) we have not seen rock bottom yet.

Maybe play zone Defense? Our guys can’t switch, guard straight line drives or play man through screens. Chuck Oscar under the basket and don’t let the other team drag him out to cover.

Speaking of the Heat… these dudes are playing a large percentage of zone defense.

Oscar hates the rest of the team. That’s become very obvious.
Mags said on the postgame show that he isn't sure if Oscar lives in the Lodge with the other guys. If true, I'm not sure if that's weird or not. If I was 23 and had real money in my pocket with a lot financially riding on my improvement, I sure as shit wouldn't live in a dorm either. At the same time, that isn't healthy for the team.

(BTW, it could very well not be true and to be clear, Jones didn't say it was true just that he wasn't sure and he doesn't have the information he used to have.)

I haven't been by there in a couple months but I usually walk by the Lodge during my lunch walk and there was almost always a Porsche with a Congolese flag hanging from the mirror in the parking lot when I walked by.

Granted this is in the middle of the day so he could just be parked there for practice or classes.

-Look, I'm just not hearing any excuses. He's paid 9 f*cking million dollars. So what if Oscar isn't the MKG leader, figure it out. Personnel issues can only be excused so many times before it becomes the manager's issue. I'm just not hearing that bullshit again.

-Last night was definitely weird. I didn't think the crowd was that bad considering where we're at and getting boat raced by one of the worst teams in the SEC. They tried their best to get them to wake up. Minimal booing, when a lot was deserved. Disbelief, apathy, not really angry. Just an odd vibe. Like, "is this really going to happen?" It's been getting lighter and lighter for years. I'd say the rest of the way is going to be a ghost town. I'll probably hit the Kansas game... and that's about it. I'm done spending time, money, and baby sitters on this shit.

-I thought Matt's tone on the post-game summed it up. Great radio during the intro. You just keep hoping for that spark that sets it off and we're transformed back to 2012... but we're all realizing it's not coming. In fact it's getting worse at an alarming rate. It's just hard to accept and a huge bummer because there's no exit ramp.

-You can say it's not just lineups but we win the game if he starts Reeves and Fredrick like a normal f*cking human coach. They accounted for 40% of our points and really only got 28 minutes b/c Wallace was hurt. Reeves has 34 points in his last 40ish minutes. I don't know that we're title competitive but we probably win at least 2 more games.

-Time(and the game) is just passing the guy by and it's hard to watch. Think 10 years ago when this thing was rolling his main adversaries(s/o 2pac) were Izzo, Calhoun, K, Roy, and Pitino. They're all gone or on the doorstep. Izzo really the only one left and he's coming off back to back 13 loss years with a unranked team this season.

-With 3 minutes left we had taken 5 three point attempts.

-We're playing the wrong players together in an antiquated offense. No buy in leaves you with the bullshit D.

Last edited:
The offense sucks, but it is still number 20 in KenPom. The defense is 93. That is horrible and that is the biggest change in Cal's teams over the years. They used to be extremely athletic on the wings and have a shotblocker inside. This team has none of that and the defensive effort is not there either. South Carolina scored only 42 points against UT but scored 71 last night at Rupp.

Question about Cal's contract:

If we're paying him ~ $9 million/year, and another school "only" wants to offer $5-6 million, would we negotiate a buyout to make up the difference? I have no idea how this works in college, and maybe because I don't think there's a precedent for that.

There are lots of examples of coaches having a contract where the buyout ceases to be paid once they get another job, but I'm not aware of a school effectively running a guy off and then splitting his salary.

-Look, I'm just not hearing any excuses. He's paid 9 f*cking million dollars. So what if Oscar isn't the MKG leader, figure it out. Personnel issues can only be excused so many times before it becomes the manager's issue. I'm just not hearing that bullshit again.

You are exactly right. As Julius Campbell said, “Attitude Reflects Leadership.”

It's the old, "if you ran into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into an asshole all day, you're the asshole". The team chemistry/comradery has been a reoccurring theme, regardless of roster in recent years. One constant variable tho.

Oscar calling out his teammates, he stopped short of naming names, doesn’t seem to be the look you want if you’re trying to right a burning dumpster fire of a ship.

Reactions: jayroon
Here’s how I understand the contract. He has about $54mm left. We owe 75% of it which is about $40.5 if we “fire him”. If he takes another job, we owe him nothing.

I don’t think there is a buyout negotiation if he takes another job. I also don’t think cal is going to take another job unless he has more guaranteed $$.

Unfortunately it’s a standoff. We want him to leave. Cal prob (other than the “pr hit”) wants us to fire him.

Last edited:
I think pti was getting at supplementing the hiring school's contract with buyout dollars to make sure he GTFO.

I doubt that would go over well with the natives but with the UK pres, the BOT, and our wacky fun loving AD, anything is possible!
Yea I get it. I just don’t think that will happen. Cal will want the full buyout + the new school money or else he stays and gets the $54mm.

Reactions: SAECATFAN
Some buyout provisions say that the buyout amount is reduced by compensation earned at the employee's next job. Others do not. Cal will get the most money if he gets fired, but then again I seriously doubt he wants to get fired. He could easily pull a Tubby, take another job, and sell it as a move he voluntarily made. IN that scenario, UK could probably negotiate a significantly reduced buyout with him.

If I was the president and I saw the crowd disappearing I’d certainly suggest a 10 year 4M per year buyout for him to leave at seasons end.

Offer the new coach 4-5M per and we are at the same cost to the university, and with a coach that most likely understands basketball.

Reactions: paintrain_cat
He's not going anywhere, short of a decent school making an insane offer, at least not in the next couple years. You better go ahead and accept that. This dude isn't Joe B or Tubby. We're talking a massive ego and crazy stubbornness. We're in for a long ride.

He was reportedly going to take the UCLA job for less.

He doesn't want to be here. That's obvious. I think a nice place to live and a contract worth something like $30m over 6-7 years would get him where he'd need to be and feel okay about walking away, particularly if firing him for ~$40M is seriously on the table.

Here’s how I understand the contract. He has about $54mm left. We owe 75% of it which is about $40.5 if we “fire him”. If he takes another job, we owe him nothing.

I don’t think there is a buyout negotiation if he takes another job. I also don’t think cal is going to take another job unless he has more guaranteed $$.

Unfortunately it’s a standoff. We want him to leave. Cal prob (other than the “pr hit”) wants us to fire him.

Well, sounds pretty simple and relatively cheap. You fire him today, and pay Scott Drew whatever it takes.

Yes, I’m pretty sure Cal’s contract does not have the offsetting provision if he takes another job.

UK’s only leverage is the length the buyout is paid over. I think it’s paid monthly over what remains of the contract length.

So, UK could say, “you can have the $40.5mm over the next 6 years or you can have $20mm now”.

UK could also threaten a “firing with cause” and say they are gonna let the courts decide. Better have everything documented and buckled up if that route is chosen.

Dore95 is right… you hope he takes another job which then leads to a negotiation/settlement. I think unless he gets a godfather offer from another school, he ain’t leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT