ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we are going to 16, WVU and Va tech would be my top 2. Would be ok with Oklahoma and Okla St I guess bc as Chad says Okla St is gonna fight tooth and nail to stay attached to them.

#realtalk- the SEC is in every TV market and the lead conference on the lead network for college football. I get the appeal of adding two big names but a) is it worth the hassle of bringing Texas in, ie what do they bring to the SEC that we don’t already have and b) if it means booting someone to add OkSt it seems like benefits decrease.

Reactions: pretzel__logic
#realtalk- the SEC is in every TV market and the lead conference on the lead network for college football. I get the appeal of adding two big names but a) is it worth the hassle of bringing Texas in, ie what do they bring to the SEC that we don’t already have and b) if it means booting someone to add OkSt it seems like benefits decrease.
I don't get it either other than the SEC simply being proactive and wanting to have their choice in who they invite.

Personally, I'd rather any SEC expansion avoid Texas.

The previous conference realignment was crap from a customer perspective too. Conferences were trying to add participants from outside their current markets to expand the TV money, so we got stuck with Missouri. I don't care about Missouri, don't want to go to Columbia, MO to watch a game, and don't ever come across Missouri fans. They are not a fit in the SEC.

The best "fits" for the SEC would be schools like Clemson and Florida State. They're - you know - actually in the Southeast, and they're large schools that have a similar footprint as the schools already in the SEC. Plus, they're already rivals with teams in the SEC, and the more rivalries within the conference the better. I'm not advocating inviting them in at all, but they should be considered before Texas and Oklahoma.

Texas would not cause any problems in the SEC. They would come in and know their place in the pecking order. There is not a school in college that will come in and run the SEC, Bama has that shit on lock down. Texas is a has been, but they are building a basketball school down there, Beard is legit, but in round ball, we know who run it, and Texas won't change shit. Bama, Florida, Georgia, LSU will let Texas know real quick whats up on Saturday nights, they will be a middle of the conference in football and upper half in basketball.

Last edited:
NC St should be the first school invited if the SEC ever considers expanding again, followed by Virginia Tech. I'm good though with how things are currently.

Reactions: tommyg4uk
First post-Covid plane ride tomorrow. Vacationing in the Pacific Northwest. Oregon will be my 50th state. Crater Lake, Mt. St. Helens, Redwood Forest,, Reno, Bonneville Salt Flats, etc.
Crater Lake is one of my favorite spots. Not easy to get to, but I like it so much I've been several times - well worth it, IMO. And the Oregon Coast doesn't get the attention it deserves, but it's awesome. Tahoe / Reno is very cool as well.

Last edited:
. . . in past years, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina and Kentucky have banded together to agree to vote against any other schools in their respective states from receiving an offer. That kept Georgia Tech, Florida State, Louisville, and Clemson from ever receiving an offer to join the SEC. Since that quad was formed, Texas A&M has now entered the SEC as a new member. In theory, these five schools could join together and bar a school like Texas from receiving an SEC invite.

But does that alliance still exist? And might Georgia, Florida, Kentucky and South Carolina, seeing Texas A&M begin to rise, actually prefer that the Aggies had in-state competition in a football crazy state like Texas? It’s a fantastic question.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/clay-travis-texas-oklahoma-sec

80's post notwithstanding, Texas is all about Texas. While all schools have to be about themselves, they don't strike me as a team player. It benefits them more than SEC. If this is the beginning of a football only mega-conference, outside NCAA jurisdictions, it may make a lot more sense.

Crater Lake is one of my favorite spots. Not easy to get to, but I like it so much I've been several times - well worth it, IMO. And the Oregon Coast doesn't get the attention it deserves, but it's awesome. Tahoe / Reno is very cool as well.
Told my extremely naive wife twice that we are going to the Mustang Ranch:

Her: "Are we staying overnight at the Mustang Ranch?"

Me: "No, not staying there."

Her: "Are we just going to look at the mustangs?"

Me: "Yeah, some people ride, but we're just looking."

NC St should be the first school invited if the SEC ever considers expanding again, followed by Virginia Tech. I'm good though with how things are currently.

That sounds an awful lot like adding Missouri for no particular reason aside from adding Missouri. I can't imagine two more boring programs to add to the conference than those. Congrats.

Texas would not cause any problems in the SEC. They would come in and know their place in the pecking order. There is a school in college that will come in and run the SEC, Bama has that shit on lock down. Texas is a has been, but they are building a basketball school down there, Beard is legit, but in round ball, we know who run it, and Texas won't change shit. Bama, Florida, Georgia, LSU will let Texas know real quick whats up on Saturday nights, they will be a middle of the conference in football and upper half in basketball.
This may be the first time I've read one of your posts and thought you made a good point within the flow of conversation.

Reactions: BigBadBlueDaddy
The Matthew McConaughey promos would be nauseating. I would vote against Texas for that alone. I wouldn't mind Oklahoma/Okie State, tho.

But my first choices would be out of WVU, NC State, Va Tech (boring or not) or (gasp) UNC & Duke. I know that would never happen, but it would add a couple of beatable football teams (UNC would probably be on our level in the SEC) and would make for some hellacious basketball games. I like playing teams I touching hate and both of those would certainly qualify. Plus, their fans think they are so morally and academically superior to the SEC it would knock them down a peg or two as well.

FSU or Clemson would be cool, but there is no way SC or Florida ever let that happen.

Texas would not cause any problems in the SEC. They would come in and know their place in the pecking order.
You are talking about the same people that still openly discuss forming their own country.

I have some friends in Texas...they are great people, fantastic hosts when we go visit...they also think the entire galaxy revolves around that state and modern civilization itself was formed there. The only place they know is that they are the most important everything.

You are talking about the same people that still openly discuss forming their own country.

I have some friends in Texas...they are great people, fantastic hosts when we go visit...they also think the entire galaxy revolves around that state and modern civilization itself was formed there. The only place they know is that they are the most important everything.
Has TAMU been an issue? Last time I checked it was in Texas.

Agree with beagle, I try to go out West at least once every year or two in the summer, if only to drive and explore. Did that a month ago, in fact - flew into SLC, drove all over and flew back out of Reno.

It's just an incredible, wide-open feeling to step off the plane and see just how huge and wide open everything is out there. It's very liberating, and like beagle said, just a different vibe. Cities are more like outposts, with wide open space in between. Beautiful scenery everywhere, incredible mountains all around, and parts of it still kind of feel like the frontier.

In addition to the obvious states that are people's favorites, I really like Oregon (for the coast) and Utah. The Sierras in northeast CA / western NV are also outstanding and unique.

Beagle, it sounds like most of your trip will be south of Crater Lake, but if you have flexibility, I highly recommend the Oregon coast, particularly from Florence north. Haystack Rock. All the way up to Astoria, which is very picturesque. And the bridge that connects Astoria with WA, that's several miles long, is awesome. Then the roads that go along the Columbia River are beautiful.

80's post notwithstanding, Texas is all about Texas. While all schools have to be about themselves, they don't strike me as a team player. It benefits them more than SEC. If this is the beginning of a football only mega-conference, outside NCAA jurisdictions, it may make a lot more sense.
A - f'ing - men.

Also, and I've mentioned this before - I spent two years in Austin. It's a pro football town. The average resident would much rather have the Cowyboys with the SB than the Longhorns win a Natty.

EDIT: WVU shouldn't sniff the SEC.

Wait are you talking about Texas or Louisville

-Give me NC State and Virginia. Just prefer visiting the east coast. Whatever move screws UL I am good with.

-All you rich home owners have made some serious $ the past year. Homes going for 50k over list? At one point is that having a bad realtor that misses the mark that bad?

-Mom found this gem. Anybody remember this Beckett? What an iconic cover. F’n Bengals so bad they even took Bo from us.
3C67A4BA-F519-4304-93D7-3A9BF82E1B1E.jpeg

Last edited:
I run into an abundance of Nittany Lion fans in the DMV and they have to be the East coast equivalent of Longhorn fan.

Boisterous and condescending, yet they don't have any hardware to show for it since Cheers! was a hit show and a hell of a lot more embarrassment on & off the field in recent years.

Oh and their mascot is the lamest attempt at a feral cat, barely nipping out UC's garbage take on a bearcat.

My parents lived in Nittany Lion territory and I asked Dad if he just says "but what about the child molestation" anytime Happy Valley robots start eulogizing Paterno, which apparently still happens a lot. He is a much better diplomat than me and said he usually just allows his eyes to glaze over instead.

Weird, WEIRD fan base.

Honestly can't understand how or why anyone still supports that school. I mean if UK was caught running a child rape program I'm 100% sure I would never want to associate with that institution in any way ever again

-Give me NC State and Virginia. Just prefer visiting the east coast. Whatever move screws UL I am good with.

-All you rich hone owners have made some serious $ the past year. Homes going for 50k over list? At one point is that having a bad realtor that misses the mark that bad?

-Mom found this gem. Anybody remember this Beckett? What an iconic cover. F’n Bengals so bad they even took Bo from us.
3C67A4BA-F519-4304-93D7-3A9BF82E1B1E.jpeg

I'm assuming there was ALOT of pu$$y gotten in that bed, with the Star Wars comforter and all.

WTF does that even mean behave? What the hell are you guys talking about Texas only cares about themselves? Is Texas going to cheat off of Tennessee during finals week? Going to steal Missouri’s lunch at recess? What does any of that even mean? It’s effin Texas. Sign me up for some fun ass road trips to Austin which is an awesome city and loaded with hot chicks

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT