ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are today's kids so casual about going to get their driver's permit/license? I was chomping at the bit to be able to drive, and went and took my written/driver's exams the very first day I could. But I've heard from several friends over the past few years that their kids were pretty blase about it, and were in no hurry to start driving on their own.
Casual about EVERYTHING, not just driver’s permit/license is the attitude of all my younger cousins/nieces/nephews. They don’t give a crap about anything.

Reactions: gobigbluebell
They also don't seem to drink as much. No interest in the calories/getting fat, hangovers, the expense, or being around a bunch of assholes/creeps like chief/UKO in some bar, so they eat edibles, mushrooms, etc., and stick to their tribes. Gross hyperbole here, obviously, but I kind of feel them in this regard.

I think we'll be the last generation(s) to really DRINK like we do, which is probably a positive.

Also it seems that high school kids have no interest in dating. I'm around high school track and cross country where both boys and girls teams are practicing together and none of them have boyfriends/girlfriends.

• Wow
Reactions: blubo
My 19yr old got his license as soon as he could but he is not a car guy at all and couldn't care less what he drives as long as he can get from point A to point B. The more plain the better. It seems most of his friends are this way too which is radically different from me and my friends at that age.

Also, he's training for a 100 miler through the woods so I'm a little scared he will end up as a contrarian with over 30K posts on a message board that won't get married and clears his throat all the time. (@PTI (pti) do you have any recs on a hydration pack for something like this? He's tried 4 or 5 and they all suck according to him.)

-cop pulled me over when I was 15. I didn’t have a ride to a practice over spring break so I hopped in the hoopty, went and picked up my buddy, and went to practice. Was a good practice. So good my buddy and I decided to make a few laps around town. Didn’t end well but could have been worse. Piggy just sent us home and called my dad.

i couldn’t wait to turn 16 to go get my license. Bumming rides from my friends that were a class or two older me wasn’t the move when I was 15. I know of 18-19 year olds who haven’t even attempted to get their license.

Tomorrow is my last day of isolation before re-entering society. Felt good enough to knock out 5 miles in sub 40 this morning. Over the weekend, I was so weak I would get out of breath walking back and forth to pee. An amazing roller coaster ride that I do not want to ever repeat.
I beat legal on a 5 miler!

My daughter just graduated high school, got her permit in February and has no desire to drive. Most of her friends don't even have a permit. My father-in-law has told her he will buy her first car, still not motivated. I've taken her out a couple of times to practice and she's pretty bad but I'm patient and don't yell. I got a new riding mower this Spring and thought I'd let her mow and practice in back yard because it's a large yard, mostly flat and open but that was an even bigger failure. I remember reading about an experiment with spiders that were somehow given LSD and their webspinning became asymmetrical, disjointed. Her mowing was like that, no concept of following lines, zigzags, a strip here a strip there and now she won't do it because I did yell at her.

My dad totaled the family Oldsmobile when he was 14 years old. His parents let him have the car to go out to the farm so he could check the gate. The cops called a tow truck and took him back home. That was it.

My daughter just graduated high school, got her permit in February and has no desire to drive. Most of her friends don't even have a permit. My father-in-law has told her he will buy her first car, still not motivated. I've taken her out a couple of times to practice and she's pretty bad but I'm patient and don't yell. I got a new riding mower this Spring and thought I'd let her mow and practice in back yard because it's a large yard, mostly flat and open but that was an even bigger failure. I remember reading about an experiment with spiders that were somehow given LSD and their webspinning became asymmetrical, disjointed. Her mowing was like that, no concept of following lines, zigzags, a strip here a strip there and now she won't do it because I did yell at her.

The percentage of teens working has gone from around 55% in 2000 to around 33% in 2019 (and I’d imagine has cratered now). Helicopter parents are less likely to want/allow teens to work so there isn’t much reason for lil Macks or Payleigh to drive. If they need to go anywhere, the parents will happily take them.

As a dog-dad, I speak from a position of knowledge.

-my hs freshman daughter has a Saturday retail gig and 2 regular sitting gigs. My eldest has decided part time college student is best for her...so she works 25-30 hrs at a restaurant and does pet/house/lawn* sitting on the side. In this house we like nice stuff...so we work.

*Lotsa folks in the neighborhood that have coin in their landscaping... somebody has to water that stuff when they go on vacation, who knew.

Last edited:
Today you have to have a permit for 6 months, but back then we only needed it for 1 month.

I don’t think I’d have been as in a rush if I had to drive with a parent for 6 months. F that!

Reactions: roguemocha
You’ve had to have a permit for 6 months for at least 20 years because that’s what I had.

I think there are more guidelines and curfews now though.

Reactions: Col. Angus
- I know quite a few over-40s Kyles and Jareds. No Jacksons, though. Glad Jack is back as a bigtime name. Not sure about Henry. It’s ok.

- Lobster roll in the booming Seaport area of Boston for lunch. Man it was good. This area has totally transformed since we were here 5 years ago.

- Watched Ted Lasso on the flight and I absolutely love it. Only 3 eps in but reminds me of a mix between Major League and Parks’n’Rec.

- Wonder if Uncle Max from “Calvin & Hobbes” ever settled down.

- Hit up Radiohead’s “No Surprises” for touchdown this morning. Just an outstanding call if I do say so myself.

- Was a Pepsi pullboy in high school- great job for a teen dude.

I don't know what kind of teenagers you all are around but my daughter has been car shopping since she was 14...now 15 1/2, she is counting the minutes. I'm terrified of her driving and I'm pretty sure the only time I'll see her after she gets her permit is when she needs money or is grounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT