ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeahhhh...dick move on rogues part. 99% of the time, I'm getting a beer, bourbon rocks, or a G&T...but if I'm on vacation and go to a spot with a craft cocktail menu, I'll ask a recommendation.

I mean, you're in Key f***ing West with almost all tourists who want to try something new on vacation.

They aren't asking if they should have surgery or do chemo. Give a drink rec...they'll either order another or get something else next round.

Last edited:
-If you look at a cocktail menu at a bar and ask if a drink is good, your a idiot. Seriously. Yeah we sell stuff people hate, good business and whatnot. And also, how tf do I know if you’ll like it?

-I put my seat back only if the person in front of me does, unless it’s like Wayne said and I’m trying to sleep.
You’re

Every time we go somewhere new my wife picks something out and then asks the waiter if it’s good and never once have they said “nah it’s not very good, I’d get something else.” They just say, “yeah it’s really good.”

Probably because their bosses would be upset if they told a customer something on the menu sucks.

There’s a difference in that and asking for a recommendation.

Reactions: roguemocha
I can’t really tell the difference between Delta, United and American. Delta was the clear leader and the other two just tried to copy them.

I think the plane makes the biggest difference. If you fly out of Louisville on Delta or United, many of your flights will be on Embraer-175’s, which in coach have pretty wide seats and are a 2-2 configuration. 737’s actually have some of the most narrow seats with the 3-3 config, and that’s why I’m not a fan of Southwest.

For international business class, I like United the best. They do this Polaris seating thing where you don’t have anybody sitting next to you. It would suck if you were traveling with your spouse or a friend, but solo it can’t be beat.

I have no idea why airlines stopped providing alcohol because of a few bad actors, but I really think it must just not be profitable for them.

At this over the top resort we’re staying at, I asked the bartender wearing a vest and tie for recommendations of what to try from their exotic cocktail list. We talked it over for a couple minutes and I started with a yuzu old fashioned - some sort of Japanese citrus that was combined with angels envy bourbon that was off the charts fantastic. My second cocktail had a rum based liquor I’ve never heard of infused with GD foie gras and had this ginger honey foam thing going that was ridiculous. We needed to leave for dinner after these so I thanked the bartender for taking the time and gave him a very generous tip for helping me out with recs. Seemed to be a win win for everyone involved.

- Have flown Allegiant 5 times during the pandemic, no issues at all. Adult beverages are usually handed out for free or 2-1 if they bother to charge.

Southwest and American treated the cabin like children. Flight to PHX last month we reach 10k and the male flight person spends the next five minutes lecturing us on how to properly order without removing our masks…

“…now we have Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite and water. Give us a ‘1’ for Coke, ‘2’ for Diet, ‘3’ for Sprite and ‘4’ for water. Please do not remove your mask to make your request, hold up a finger or just point.

Probably scripted by the same folks who thought $.16 hot dog takes were a good idea.

- Guess rogue hasn’t watched the Elisabeth Shue classic ‘Cocktail’ where an undersized, down-on-his luck night school attendee takes apprenticeship with an Obi Wan like mixologist and goes from zero to hero as soon as he finds a personality with the clientele.

- Those spicy True Pilsners at the track never disappoint.

- Could use another good rain Monday evening around 6 pm to keep my yard alive, put a stop to what will be 4 days of fireworks and nicely wrap up the holiday weekend. Whatcha say, Mother Nature?

- Rebuilding my back deck with Trex and realizing with the stock inconsistencies I should have done this a year ago.

- Barry Bonds Schwarber’s injury has put an end to an uncanny long ball streak. Hell of sugar rush he and the team were on - but now they need to sell off and rebuild. Thanks for keeping it interesting through the 4th.

- Tried some of that Keto cereal that masquerades as Fruity Pebbles and spent half the day clearing out cap space. No clue what it’s made of it why anyone would be foolish enough to go back for seconds. [insert Dumb&Dumber scene]

- New Harry’s / Malones is indeed impressive. As extensive a bourbon list as any spot in town.

- Corn on the cob in the husk is a 4th grilling necessity.

Last edited:
Rogue, let’s say I see a few beers on a menu I don’t recognize. If I ask you which one you like best, isn’t that a reasonable question?

Yes, which one is my preference is fine. Asking what’s the best beer is stupid. If there was a “best” beer that everyone loved we would just carry that. Asking me which is my favorite to make is dumb, I make them all. I like to make bud bottles. I refer people to mojitos mostly. No bartender is sitting around slugging Bahama Mamas or rum runners after work.

I drink tequila shots with an orange slice and sip on a beer in between.

All the fats drinking coladas with 50 grams of sugar per drink can get pumped. There’s a reason why you’re hard to look at.

I drink the same no matter where I am. I don’t do the give me something that’s Costa Rica-ish if I go there. Don’t need a menu. I know what I like. And I get that people from Des Moines are on vacation and want something different but the menu says all the ingredients. How would I possibly know if you’ll like it?

Last edited:
Showered with my dog last night. He hates that but once he’s in, he just chills and let’s me wash him. When I let him out you’d think he was given the golden ticket to Willy Wonkas Chocolate Factory.

I love bartending, just hate complicated indecisive people that take ten minutes to order a drink. It’s just a drink, it’s not your last drink ever.

I enjoy the hell out of a pina colada when I get to the beach typically the first thing I order. Definitely not something I want to drink all night though, one is usually enough to get my vibe set.

95% of what I drink is beer or bourbon. I'll slip in a few vodka tonics over the summer months to replace the brown water. A glass of red with a steak or pasta dinner is good too.

- Have flown Allegiant 5 times during the pandemic, no issues at all. Adult beverages are usually handed out for free or 2-1 if they bother to charge.

Southwest and American treated the cabin like children. Flight to PHX last month we reach 10k and the male flight person spends the next five minutes lecturing us on how to properly order without removing our masks…

“…now we have Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite and water. Give us a ‘1’ for Coke, ‘2’ for Diet, ‘3’ for Sprite and ‘4’ for water. Please do not remove your mask to make your request, hold up a finger or just point.

Probably scripted by the same folks who thought $.16 hot dog takes were a good idea.

- Guess rogue hasn’t watched the Elisabeth Shue classic ‘Cocktail’ where an undersized, down-on-his luck night school attendee takes apprenticeship with an Obi Wan like mixologist and goes from zero to hero as soon as he finds a personality with the clientele.

- Those spicy True Pilsners at the track never disappoint.

- Could use another good rain Monday evening around 6 pm to keep my yard alive, put a stop to what will be 4 days of fireworks and nicely wrap up the holiday weekend. Whatcha say, Mother Nature?

- Rebuilding my back deck with Trex and realizing with the stock inconsistencies I should have done this a year ago.

- Barry Bonds Schwarber’s injury has put an end to an uncanny long ball streak. Hell of sugar rush he and the team were on - but now they need to sell off and rebuild. Thanks for keeping it interesting through the 4th.

- Tried some of that Keto cereal that masquerades as Fruity Pebbles and spent half the day clearing out cap space. No clue what it’s made of it why anyone would be foolish enough to go back for seconds. [insert Dumb&Dumber scene]

- New Harry’s / Malones is indeed impressive. As extensive a bourbon list as any spot in town.

- Corn on the cob in the husk is a 4th grilling necessity.

Swear to God I hadn’t read this post referencing Cocktail before my above post. We’re on it today, bro.

I love bartending, just hate complicated indecisive people that take ten minutes to order a drink. It’s just a drink, it’s not your last drink ever.

I get it - my hipster best friend and his even more hipster wife used to annoy the hell out of me back in the early-10s craft beer craze by tying up busy bartenders in OTR quizzing them about everything on tap. If it’s slow, fine. When the bar is bustling, pick a beer and take a chance.

In my high school drama class, we had to do a monologue. I went Flanigan's "I am the world's last barman poet". Crowd went apeshit! The teacher wasn't crazy about the orgasm line, especially considering it was a Catholic high school, but she couldn't deny the spirit and bravado in my delivery. I can still crush it to this day.

Took our three year old to the Reds game last night. Per her recap this morning (after sleeping until 10):

-She likes when “Joey gets hits”
-The best part was the “park” (slides behind first base)
-The other best part was “the wave”
-The ice cream and pizza tasted good
-She wants to go back to the “baseball game” to “eat pizza and play” again

I guess it was a pretty good start to the weekend for her.

I get it - my hipster best friend and his even more hipster wife used to annoy the hell out of me back in the early-10s craft beer craze by tying up busy bartenders in OTR quizzing them about everything on tap. If it’s slow, fine. When the bar is bustling, pick a beer and take a chance.
Exactly. We don’t really care that much. Just want to get you a drink and move to the next person so everyone has a drink in hand. It’s a bar not a century cat quiz. Order a drink, don’t hold everyone else up and enjoy. 😊

There’s a big difference between “what’s a good recommendation for a frozen cocktail” and the bartender saying “f you buddy, make a selection” AND hipster who wants 3-4 “tastings” and wants the full history of how the brew was crafted.

Hopefully whoever you got the product from explained the Trex Basics and Enhanced products that currently run the same price as a deck board.

Also because Trex has been an issue for about 6 months now I’d think they should have checked stock or availability as we all buy it from US Lumber over off Durrett Lane.

It’s absolutely the best upgrade to a house a homeowner can make. Looks great, no maintenance, and is now “affordable”.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
First off, no one drinks gimlets 1985. Secondly, it’s not that, it’s people taking ten minutes after waving you down to get a drink. I just walk away and come back. “What frozen drink would I like?” How the f**k could I possibly know what you’ll like? Thirdly, frozen drinks are disgusting and nothing but sugar for the fats. The machine is gross even though we clean it every night. Like I said fountain drinks, drafts and frozees are all gross and you’re basically drinking sludge. I know @anthonys735 will drink them til he dies but it’s gross. Give me a shot of tequila with an orange and anything but bud light and I’m good.

Back when I tended bar answering a “what would you suggest” question literally was the best thing I could ask for next to popping a top or pouring a draft beer.

I made good margaritas on the rocks, bloody mary’s, or a sex on the beach. Anything else I’ll promise to make strong so if it sucks it will at least get the job done. Oh, I suck at anything frozen.

It was a great way to control what I was making to what I actually wanted to make. During a busy time it was perfect.

I can’t even imagine going to the Keys and popping that question, and the bartender being a douchebag about it.

I do not get all the uproar? I usually tip very well when I get a smart ass. I mean it is called "The service industry" for a reason. I usually ask with both food and drinks WHEN I WANT AN OPINION on something interesting on the menu. "Be honest, what do you think of the "insert food or drink" ? Have you had it ? It is not about having the same taste, it is about dialogue (DiaRogue in this case) with your server and having them recommend something you have not tried before. They WORK there, should know about everything they serve.

I do not fly often, but when I do, I usually go with Wheels UP. Have never been disappointed with them, and if you very rarely fly, it is worth the extra coin to be comfy for the trip. My general rule to live by is Do not skimp on these things ; toilet paper, lawyers, tires, and airplane flights. My life is kind of important to me, so the better I can increase my odds of survival, the better off I feel.

Took our three year old to the Reds game last night. Per her recap this morning (after sleeping until 10):

-She likes when “Joey gets hits”
-The best part was the “park” (slides behind first base)
-The other best part was “the wave”
-The ice cream and pizza tasted good
-She wants to go back to the “baseball game” to “eat pizza and play” again

I guess it was a pretty good start to the weekend for her.

Nice. Did anyone hit the Tundra 650' from home plate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT