ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damn, that’s awesome. You can tell Chin and O respect what this program is historically, and I trust those two guys will do whatever it takes to get us back.

John...idk, but if his assistants are going bonkers, it’s gonna pretty hard for him to play he “aw shucks I don’t care about winning” bs.

Also, so proud of Mitch. He damn near looked black in that clip. Glory days are coming back, boys.

AND LORD HELP THE SEC AND ALL ITS CHILDREN IF OUR BASKETBALL TEAM RETURNS TO ITS RIGHTFUL THRONE AND COACH MARK STOOPS FS AROUND AND WINS THE EAST. Lot of teams won’t be able to deal
with life if that happens. It’s gonna happen. It just means more.

A juiced horse probably isn’t that big of a deal until one of them has their heart explode turning for home. I’d hate for one of our small Hispanic friends to get trampled to death live on TVG during a 5K claimer at Turfway.

Reactions: roguemocha
I guess that I am a pussy pacifist but since moving out to the country in Woodford I've become fond of horses. They are very social and make my day seeing them on my morning walks. There is no doubt juicing has killed many like what happened in Santa Anita a few years ago. You have got to protect them or the loons at PETA will have the sport cancelled.

Look, folks… It’s awful and the sport is dominated by super pretentious, rich assholes who want to win and aren’t used to people telling them no.

That’s ok! DAMON THAYER sold us on janky slot machines to prop up this industry and I can’t bet on human beings playing live sports!

Start-of-the-Week Shorts:

- May has been downright Aprilly so far. Come on - gimme the juice.

- The Athletic is certainly worth the subscription BUT it’s national college basketball writers, namely Dana O’Neil and Seth Davis, are shit. There’s a difference between guys I dislike but whose opinions I somewhat respect (Thamel, Forde) and the former. Tucker is outstanding, though.

- Caught the A&E Roddy Piper doc and looking forward to Macho Man. Wrestling is ridiculous and I stopped watching by 8th grade but certainly brings some nostalgia.

- Of all my childhood fast food favorites, the one I haven’t touched in 20 years is the Arby’s roast beef. Just had too many bad ones.

- Wife got legit irate with me when my Mother’s Day Instagram post featured a bad picture of her. I don’t know what the hell she’s talking about- she looked great to mw but a good reminder that bitches be crazy.

- For the first time in my life, I am an SUV Guy. Going to be an adjustment from a guy who preferred a smaller car. My previous was a Honda Fit. But it’s time for a dad car for Dad. Pretty sweet ride, actually- 2021 dark gray Honda Passport EXL.

- My chartered yacht meal choice would be surf’n’turf with a good bread pudding as dessert.

- From all reports, TyTy Washington is a damn stud, continually rising up the rankkngs and a Quick/Knight type lead guard who will do well here, once he commits this week. You wanted shooters- here comes another one.

- 5 of My Favorite Parts of Summer:

* The buzz out in the refreshments area before a big concert at Riverbend, then that moment approximately two hours later when the sunsets mid-show.

* Smell of freshcut grass.

* Walking across the bridge to a Reds game.

* The neon lighting coming from a pool at night.

* A cooler full of icy cold domestos.

Look, folks… It’s awful and the sport is dominated by super pretentious, rich assholes who want to win and aren’t used to people telling them no.

That’s ok! DAMON THAYER sold us on janky slot machines to prop up this industry and I can’t bet on human beings playing live sports!

I for one am here for Damon Thayer replacing Joel Justus as the #1 target on Richie’s list.

• Blew a tire on the interstate on the way to the 'boro this weekend for a dinner with my wife's friends. Was cutting it close already, so I was like the dad from Christmas Story throwing on the spare. "Four minutes. Time me!" It was like I was in the pits at the Indianapolis Speedway in the 500. On time for dinner at the Famous Bistro, which is a solid spot for Western KY. Little upset by the people at dinner including my wife saying, "wow, you know how to change a tire?", but I'll let it go.
  • Getting cautiously optimistic that next year will see us in the NCAA tournament again!
  • UK coach power rankings:
    • Stoops
    • Whoever coaches the volleyball team
    • Rifle coach
    • Track coach
    • Cal
    • Baseball coach
  • Ready for some good weather as well, but it's been nice to get a few more sweater / sweatshirt days.

I get your desire for all gambling to be legalized. I, like most on here agree with you.

SB120 did a few things when it passed though. Kentucky before the "slots" were in play, was losing big name horses to races in other states for larger purses. It was having a very negative effect on the local equine industry which is a staple to our state and creates a tremendous amount of tax revenue not only from breeding, but trickling down to businesses that support the equine industry like mine. We saw several horse farms move operations to other states and those farms were replaced by folks in the sport horse industry which does create revenue, but it's nothing compared to the racehorse industry.

Kentucky horse racing needs the slots to obtain higher dollar purses to be competitive with other states that are much more kind to folks in the equine industry with tax advantages they don't receive in Kentucky. Many may not know this, but local horse racing was in downward spiral before the "slots" came into play.

Furthermore, as someone who actually is in the race horse industry, for every rich, pretentious owner you say there is, there's even more hard working, not super rich horse owners, breeders, and trainers, who do their job because of their love of horses, love of this industry, and it's what their family has done for generations. These guys aren't flying in private jets, or treating people or their animals unkind. They are salt of the earth, hard working people who rely on the horse industry to feed their families and their employee's families. In my 25 years of being a partner to so many race horse owners, the reality is I've met very few folks who I wouldn't consider nice or pretentious. Wealthy? sure, but not what you're saying.

I'd give Kentucky horse racing a break and just focus on getting gambling legalized as a whole. Constantly shitting on arguably one of our states most important industries that supports so many people and businesses that aren't even horse owners just isn't a good look.

I think Richie's well-founded frustration is that the horse racing industry ATE first for some reason while other sectors of our society (i.e. education) are dying on the vine. Because, after all, it's THE EXACT SAME GAMBOL SIN FFS. Oh, sorry, not the blessed perimutuel kind, but whatever.

So, yea, until Thayer and his cronies apply the same gusto to help more than the Central Kentucky horse folks whose personal approval he desperately seeks, F outta my face with that bullshit.

I don't think anyone really cares about any of that. They just want to bet the money line at home without going through Barbados.
I get it, and I agree. There is just more to SB120 than "propping up" the industry. That industry does more for the state than I think most realize.

Until we can get some folks in office that can figure out how to legalize all gambling, and I hope marijuana, we are where we are, slowly falling behind the rest of the country that's figured it out.

I figured Baffert was loading the horses up with equipoise or something but betamethasone? I'm going entirely off googling, but it's just a corticosteroid (a la cortisone). I am not a vet and know almost nothing about horse physiology, but is that really that dangerous and/or performance enhancing for the animal?

I, too, hope that Kentucky can legalize sports gambling and marijuana sales and give the rights to do so to a select powerful few so that they make monopoly profits. We’ll be so much better off that way.

I get your desire for all gambling to be legalized. I, like most on here agree with you.

SB120 did a few things when it passed though. Kentucky before the "slots" were in play, was losing big name horses to races in other states for larger purses. It was having a very negative effect on the local equine industry which is a staple to our state and creates a tremendous amount of tax revenue not only from breeding, but trickling down to businesses that support the equine industry like mine. We saw several horse farms move operations to other states and those farms were replaced by folks in the sport horse industry which does create revenue, but it's nothing compared to the racehorse industry.

Kentucky horse racing needs the slots to obtain higher dollar purses to be competitive with other states that are much more kind to folks in the equine industry with tax advantages they don't receive in Kentucky. Many may not know this, but local horse racing was in downward spiral before the "slots" came into play.

Furthermore, as someone who actually is in the race horse industry, for every rich, pretentious owner you say there is, there's even more hard working, not super rich horse owners, breeders, and trainers, who do their job because of their love of horses, love of this industry, and it's what their family has done for generations. These guys aren't flying in private jets, or treating people or their animals unkind. They are salt of the earth, hard working people who rely on the horse industry to feed their families and their employee's families. In my 25 years of being a partner to so many race horse owners, the reality is I've met very few folks who I wouldn't consider nice or pretentious. Wealthy? sure, but not what you're saying.

I'd give Kentucky horse racing a break and just focus on getting gambling legalized as a whole. Constantly shitting on arguably one of our states most important industries that supports so many people and businesses that aren't even horse owners just isn't a good look.
That is a great summation of the rhetoric pitched by the equine lobbyists.

If it has to be subsidized that heavily, it's not a good venture anymore. Also, it's not like Churchill and Keeneland are hurting for money. Sales alone generate more tax revenue than the races, and it's not likely that Keeneland or Fasig-Tipton are going to relocate those businesses.

The vast majority of equine operations in this state aren't producing race horses either. Paying higher purses is nothing more than a straw man to get more money to the jet setting crowd.

Last edited:
-re: education spending: Kentucky spends roughly the same or more per kid (roughly 14k per annum)...as every 1st world country. Per OCED: Austria, Norway and Luxembourg spend more.

^funding ain't the problem, folks. If education is dying on the vine it isn't from a lack of spending.
Education in this state places the teachers union above the children. Until that changes we will continue our decline.

I figured Baffert was loading the horses up with equipoise or something but betamethasone? I'm going entirely off googling, but it's just a corticosteroid (a la cortisone). I am not a vet and know almost nothing about horse physiology, but is that really that dangerous and/or performance enhancing for the animal?
Don't most of those mask the real stuff?

Nice little mother's day feast:

-roasted blue point oysters.
-lobster tail.
-steamed mussels and clams w/ leek,shallot,garlic,crushed red pepper, tarragon,dill,tomato with sav Blanc and Pernod as the steaming liquid...bread.

^super easy and inexpensive (exception of lobster). I'ma riff on that mussel/clam dish all summer.

-prefer raw oysters...but don't own a shucking knife. That's gonna be remedied very soon.

-I personally can't wait for Kentucky to step out of the shadows of Alabama, Mississippi and West Virginia. Any decade now.

-Don't really care if people take PEDs or other drugs because they have the capacity to make the decision and should be able to understand the consequences. Shoving stimulants, steroids and who knows what else into an animal is f*cked up and cruel. Not surprised most of the NLC is on board with it as their morals are poor to begin with. They'll change their stance when Milano finds out about this.

-Met a lurker on Friday at the local Catholic School fundraiser and booze fest. "I don't really read anymore, I just casually checked it, I started lurking because blahblahblah." Meanwhile he knows all our names and relevant online personalities, etc. K, bud. I've heard this a dozen times from lukers I meet in the wild. Stop being a bitch and contribute.

-Speaking of the fundraiser, good lord. I woke up Saturday with that awful gasoline pure alcohol flavor in my mouth and was questioning if I should be driving to work. Like one of those still drunk because I went to bed at 4am after 10 jagerbombs. Didn't start drinking until nearly 8p. Nothing out of the ordinary, couple glasses of wine and couple bourbs. The kind of night were I may need a shower and cup of coffee to get going but by no means still feeling drunk at 10a. Only outlier was a marg mixed up by one of the other guys. It had to be the culprit, I never mix well with tequila anyway. Didn't even have a big glass but I felt 10x worse than after Derby. Odd.

-Tee Ball team is rocking. Won 4 of 5. Ready to keep streaking just in time for Playoffs. Those early season JVC style loses are still going to hurt our seeding.

-Kent Mercker was related to one of my friends growing up. Loved that dude.

-BBdk is right. The mask opinion is flipping quickly and we're getting back to them being more awkward than accepted. Good. The mandates were ridiculous theater anyway.

Fine, Huber. I’m glad DAMON THAYER can suck off the tit off the Central Kentucky horse players and get all of the perks that come along with that while Indiana, and Tennessee rake in BILLIONS creating HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS in tax revenue for their respective states from sports gambling. Not to mention those states are much better fiscal status than Kentucky pre sports gambling. It’s a backwards ass mentality and touch that country bumpkin for not being honest while our Commonwealth suffers and we enjoy a lesser quality of life.

If only Kentucky could figure out how to incorporate sprots gambling and intoxicating substances into its culture and history.

Oh well. While you all figure it out in Frankfort, I’ll be over here on TVG with my traditional Monday afternoon Ol’ Fo’.

* I'm old enough to remember when the tide tried to turn in favor of wearing TWO masks.

* Top 5 posters who were most likely to wack it to Here I Go Again (Whitesnake) over the weekend...

1> drxman
2> KingLlama
3> VernHatton
4> BBdK (he's surely never seen the video before, but this is kind of a law of averages situation)
5> cawood

* More on the Kentucky Derby winner...

"So now even our Kentucky Derby winner, Medina Spirit, is a junky. This is emblematic of what is happening to our Country. The whole world is laughing at us as we go to hell on our Borders, our fake Presidential Election, and everywhere else!!"

- The Onion (maybe)

* BREAKING NEWS: lass and I are starting business #2, with our first event scheduled for July 4th weekend. We'll be organizing, timing, and promoting running events. We've both been so involved in (mostly volunteering) for these things in the past that we marcus welby launch our own venture and get paid accordingly. So if you're ever in the area and looking for a good 5k-100 miler, hit me at www.lazyhoundracing.com (site to launch this week).

* Labor shortage:

What a weird world we're living in. One local favorite bar pays for health insurance, and is starting cooks out at $20/hour. Fast food joints are now up to $11 or more. I've got multiple restaurant clients paying hosts/hostesses at $15/hour plus tips.

Meanwhile, there was also a protest last weekend over raising the minimum wage. Lol. Raise it yourself -- just walk across the street to a different job.

* Tip of the cap to you mothers out there. Social media stirred up some good feelings yesterday.....

- all the lady friends my age with kiddos
- all the friends my age who have lost theirs

* McDonald's coffee really slaps (if that term is still relevant).

* Watched Elon Musk's opener on SNL. Man, that dude is so f'ing awkward it was hard as hell to watch. He may be a revolutionary genius that's changing the world, but he's also incredibly weird.

* I don't really feel comfortable making any decisions unless the government tells me it's okay first.

* "This place is on steroids." -- Chin

It was having a very negative effect on the local equine industry which is a staple to our state and creates a tremendous amount of tax revenue not only from breeding, but trickling down to businesses that support the equine industry like mine.

80% of the tax from the breeding fees already goes back to the horse industry.

Reactions: 80 Proof
Getting take-out/going through drive-thrus is worse right now than it was at the peak of COVID. I think people have collectively decided they don't want to work in restaurants anymore. There are like 15 restaurants around Tates Creek Center and every single one of them had "Now Hiring" signs out this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT