ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Of all the random things that I missed sharing with my father during this past year, Derby Week without him is going to be harder than I imagined. We had a solid relationship and would talk at least once a week, often times more during basketball season. But when Derby rolled around, we would speak everyday - talking horses and betting strategies - leading up to Derby Day. Saturday is going to be bittersweet.

- Not only is the rogue v. catfan rivalry the war GYERO didn't want, it's also the one it didn't need.

- Top 5 nastiest ways to describe vomiting:
5. Hurl
4. Yack
3. Ralph
2. Spew
1. Up-chuck

- Pre-draw Derby selections:
Rock Your World: Visually impressive colt with visually impressive wins. Still lots of questions surrounding him (only one dirt race), but the talent sure seems to be there.
Known Agenda: Numbers suggest he's improving and should have enough stamina to be in the mix when they turn for home. Training well. Big chance.
Mandaloun: Training very well. Reports say he was training great leading up to the La. Derby as well, but he laid an egg in that one. I'm prepared to toss that race and put him in some exotics. Unless he becomes the "wiseguy" horse (and some are saying he might), I'd expect no shorter than 20-1 so he'll be a decent price.
O Besos: Sneaky good fractional times and he'll be running late. Pace scenario might not suit him with Caddo River being out. He's training extremely well according to clockers.

Going to try and beat Essential Quality. I think the Bluegrass effort took a lot out of him and Highly Motivated. Can't bet them all and this may be the year where the favorite doesn't fire. I say this knowing full well that Rock Your World or Hotrod Charlie may wind up being the post time favorite.

I probably won't play these horses, but they worry me: Hotrod Charlie (winner potential, but you can't bet them all.) King Fury (training like a monster, but I can't). Midnight Bourbon (training well, but I don't think he's good enough to win; may throw a light bet on him just because of the name)

I'm intrigued by Sahvir Wheeler as our PG next year. He led the SEC in assists and was fourth nationally. He had 8 games with double digit assists. He also scored over 20 thrice along with a 19 pt game and an 18 pt game twice. His high was 27 at Florida vs Tre Mann towards the end of the season. The next game he put a triple double on LSU, the first in Georgia history.

He told Jeff Goodman he wants to play for a school that can reach a Final 4. If Mintz departs and we don't get TyTy, I would be happy with a Wheeler/Fredrick combo to wrap things up. I can easily see Wheeler dicing through the lane with any combo of Grady/Allen/Fredrick spotting up along the arc and our array of bigs positioning for a dish around the rim.

- Wheeler isn’t even on my list. I think we’re reaching out to everyone, but believe the PG options will be:

TyTy
Carr
Zeg
Pippen
Someone who hasn’t entered the portal yet

- I ain’t afraid to drink a Bumbleberry or Key Lime Ale in the spring/summer.

- Taking my father-in-law to Belterra to make some bets Saturday morning then watching it at their new place, spending the night with wife and baby.

- Favorite women’s sport to watch:

1. Tennis
2. Soccer
3. Figure skating
4. Volleyball
5. Hoops

- I don’t know how some of you have the capacity to be fluent in 100 different sports. I can barely keep up with my loser Reds and shithead Bengals.

- Speaking of which, mini bros night on Thursday to catch the first round. Hoping for Pitts but would be fine with Chase.

- Who is this J. Kyle Mann Simmons hired on The Ringer? Kentucky fan. Does NBA stuff.

Mann is cool, does a lot of video breakdown type stuff, but doesn't go crazy with it - one of the better NBA follows.

Is Pippen a serious option? If so, my ranking of that list:

Pippen (worship dude's game)
TyTy

Carr
Zeg

*be happy with any of them.

One more shooter (Mintz, CJ) + one true/creating point guard are the final 2 ingredients.

I really liked Harmon from Oklahoma before he bounced to Oregon.

I also think Adam Miller can play some point. Really liked him watching Illinois last year.

The Twilight Zone might be the most hit or miss show in the history of television. The greats are amazing but the misses are unwatchable.

Just finished up watching the entire series with neighbor and you couldn’t be accurate. Even some of the ones I enjoyed weren’t all great, but watchable. The bad ones, though, shewee were they bad.

I really liked Harmon from Oklahoma before he bounced to Oregon.

I also think Adam Miller can play some point. Really liked him watching Illinois last year.

Love Miller, but we don’t need anymore “can play some point” guys. That’s what Mintz/Askew were, and as it stands, Hickman is the only one penciled in right now as a true PG next season.

Would be a great pickup, just not at the expense of what we truly need. Assuming we add/return 2 more guards, one of them needs to be a GD point guard.

Jmo.

Last edited:
Not sure how you rank watching women's basketball above watching women's golf, but that's a pretty egregious mistake. There are few things on earth worse than watching women's basketball. Preemptively get pumped, Chad.

I can barely watch men golf. I know that’s sac religious to many but just not a sport I much enjoy. And to be clear, I don’t actively watch any female sports without some specific reason- UK playing for a volleyball championship, the Olympics, the World Cup, etc.

Love Miller, but we don’t need anymore “can play some point” guys. That’s what Mintz/Askew were, and as it stands, Hickman is the only one penciled in right now as a true PG next season.

Would be a great pickup, just not at the expense of what we truly need. Assuming we add/return 2 more guards, one of them needs to be a GD point guard.

Jmo.

We need playmakers period - guys who can create shots for themselves and others. But I agree.

Reactions: B.B.d.K.
Women's Billiards

21115764-7162-4370-9620-8106b6cb017d-jeanette_young.JPG

Not sure how you rank watching women's basketball above watching women's golf, but that's a pretty egregious mistake. There are few things on earth worse than watching women's basketball. Preemptively get pumped, Chad.
No offense but have you ever tried to sit down and actually watch golf on TV? I don’t think you have. It’s brutal.

Meh, I prefer some women sports to men. US Soccer, gymnastics, volleyball, to name a few. Basketball just isn't one of them. That's not sexist at all, it's just the truth. The product on the court is awful.

Reactions: cole854
Womens soccer is almost worse than women’s basketball.

womens vb and tennis are the only translatable sports to watch.

swimming obvs.

Reactions: WayneDougan
Is our women’s soccer team good, or are we just the most progressive when it comes to women’s sports?

No women’s sport is better than the male version unless you are watching for the ass.

With level headed wcc on this one. Unless I have specific reason to tune in I have no interest in seeing the unathletic / lite (free) version of the competition. I’d rather watch little league tbh

Last edited:
Reactions: RunninRichie
— got the grandkid signed up for summer gymnastics in the class she wanted
—did Dad’s shot
—housecall done, clock fixed
—picked up grandkid from school
—dropped of said kid at horse riding lessons & check for said lessons
—mowed yard. Vertical stripes
—started dandelion salve concoction

Just another manic Monday

Edit: I also ate a big ass bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream

Last edited:
- Of all the random things that I missed sharing with my father during this past year, Derby Week without him is going to be harder than I imagined. We had a solid relationship and would talk at least once a week, often times more during basketball season. But when Derby rolled around, we would speak everyday - talking horses and betting strategies - leading up to Derby Day. Saturday is going to be bittersweet.

- Not only is the rogue v. catfan rivalry the war GYERO didn't want, it's also the one it didn't need.

- Top 5 nastiest ways to describe vomiting:
5. Hurl
4. Yack
3. Ralph
2. Spew
1. Up-chuck

- Pre-draw Derby selections:
Rock Your World: Visually impressive colt with visually impressive wins. Still lots of questions surrounding him (only one dirt race), but the talent sure seems to be there.
Known Agenda: Numbers suggest he's improving and should have enough stamina to be in the mix when they turn for home. Training well. Big chance.
Mandaloun: Training very well. Reports say he was training great leading up to the La. Derby as well, but he laid an egg in that one. I'm prepared to toss that race and put him in some exotics. Unless he becomes the "wiseguy" horse (and some are saying he might), I'd expect no shorter than 20-1 so he'll be a decent price.
O Besos: Sneaky good fractional times and he'll be running late. Pace scenario might not suit him with Caddo River being out. He's training extremely well according to clockers.

Going to try and beat Essential Quality. I think the Bluegrass effort took a lot out of him and Highly Motivated. Can't bet them all and this may be the year where the favorite doesn't fire. I say this knowing full well that Rock Your World or Hotrod Charlie may wind up being the post time favorite.

I probably won't play these horses, but they worry me: Hotrod Charlie (winner potential, but you can't bet them all.) King Fury (training like a monster, but I can't). Midnight Bourbon (training well, but I don't think he's good enough to win; may throw a light bet on him just because of the name)

This is a nice synopsis and all, but seriously dude, why didn’t you include the most important facts about the Derby field; like what colors are the jockeys’ uniforms and which horse does (celebrity name here) like the best? Everyone knows you just pick the horse with the name you like best, or the one that has your lucky number. Jeeze, what an amateur!

—signed: 90% of the people who used to be lined up at my window on any big race day—

* Looking like a nice Derby weekend for me. Middle daughter is having a belated graduation ceremony for her MBA graduation at Vanderbilt on Sunday.

Going down Thursday, and I am helping her host a brunch on Friday for friends coming in for the graduation.

Saturday, watching races, making mint juleps and betting online.

Oldest daughter is coming and bringing my 6 month old granddaughter that I have only seen once. I am beyond excited to get to be with her in person instead of trying to connect with her on FT.

I really think a graduation ceremony for grad school a year later is pretty silly, but my daughter is happy to reconnect with a lot of friends she made, and I am certainly going to benefit, so yeah, I’m there!

* The Nevers on HBO is (so far) a lot of fun. I hope it stays that way.
Mare of East Town, also on HBO, is intense and pulled me in from the start. Highly recommend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT