ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
He had done a few good sketches but so far we hadn’t seen that special kind of face that I felt we would need for the lead drawing. It was a face I’d seen a thousand times at every Derby I’d ever been to. I saw it, in my head, as the mask of the whiskey gentry — a pretentious mix of booze, failed dreams and a terminal identity crisis; the inevitable result of too much inbreeding in a closed and ignorant culture. One of the key genetic rules in breeding dogs, horses or any other kind of thoroughbred is that close inbreeding tends to magnify the weak points in a bloodline as well as the strong points. In horse breeding, for instance, there is a definite risk in breeding two fast horses who are both a little crazy. The offspring will likely be very fast and also very crazy. So the trick in breeding thoroughbreds is to retain the good traits and filter out the bad. But the breeding of humans is not so wisely supervised, particularly in a narrow Southern society where the closest kind of inbreeding is not only stylish and acceptable, but far more convenient — to the parents — than setting their offspring free to find their own mates, for their own reasons and their own ways.

If chocolate was so great it wouldn’t be handed out for FREE at hotels. You don’t see them giving out free peanut butter, you know, a real treat.

I love the turn down service at Wynn as there is a chocolate truffle waiting on me.....not a spoonful of Jif.

Reactions: Zissou87
-Ran the miniMarathon yesterday. My first outdoor run was November 12 for 3.3 miles. Yesterday I went 13.1 in 2 hours and 13 minutes for a pace of 10:13. I was sitting on 10:03 pace until I had to climb the ramp up to the walking bridge on the Indiana side. That was the only spot in the race that I couldn't run.

-The good. Despite most of the race being in Indiana it was a nice scenic run. Lucky for me I ran on Sunday and had really good weather.

-The bad: not really the race people's fault but having to climb a 30 degree ramp for a quarter mile in the last mile of the race was tough. The finish line was also uphill.

-The ugly: stupid cyclists were riding up and down the same space as the runners. They couldn't stay away from a trail for a single weekend. It got a little close when the trail is only like 7 feet wide in spots. Those guys can kiss my ass.

Pretty proud of myself. I will do it again next year and I will get it done in less than 2 hours.

-Ran the miniMarathon yesterday. My first outdoor run was November 12 for 3.3 miles. Yesterday I went 13.1 in 2 hours and 13 minutes for a pace of 10:13. I was sitting on 10:03 pace until I had to climb the ramp up to the walking bridge on the Indiana side. That was the only spot in the race that I couldn't run.

-The good. Despite most of the race being in Indiana it was a nice scenic run. Lucky for me I ran on Sunday and had really good weather.

-The bad: not really the race people's fault but having to climb a 30 degree ramp for a quarter mile in the last mile of the race was tough. The finish line was also uphill.

-The ugly: stupid cyclists were riding up and down the same space as the runners. They couldn't stay away from a trail for a single weekend. It got a little close when the trail is only like 7 feet wide in spots. Those guys can kiss my ass.

Pretty proud of myself. I will do it again next year and I will get it done in less than 2 hours.

Congrats! The race fever may get you. Predicting you will sign up for another before next year.

Meanwhile, I have my 6th or 7th stress fracture in my foot as of Saturday.

I'm liking Known Agenda along with EQ in some exotics Saturday. HR Charlie changing jocks is a bit of a turnoff.

Reactions: Lexie's Dad
I like chocolate and peanut butter.

Still just in awe of the volleyball team. Best sports I’ve seen all year.

Ready for this spring to happen. Been a brutal work schedule for me this month, planning on breaking in the boat next week.

4 lbs of beef a year? One cheeseburger a month?
Gtfo with that noise.

- Missouri still doesn’t feel like an SEC school.

- The Austin Powers movies hold up. Somehow... they just do.

- The Twilight Zone might be the most hit or miss show in the history of television. The greats are amazing but the misses are unwatchable.

Reactions: pretzel__logic
Made a killer sauce yesterday. Food-milled San Marzano DOP’s, meatballs (ricotta, pignoli, milked white bread), Patsys sausage and a couple pork chops. Masterpiece.

kids gorged. 😍

Reactions: WayneDougan
For a group that taglined "share the road", those chumps sure do love hogging the road.

That's awesome, Bucket. I wanted to run this year but frankly forgot to sign up. Had a friend who did it; she's over 40 and averaged a 7:13 minute mile. I can't comprehend how to do that.

Reactions: buckethead1978
- Missouri still doesn’t feel like an SEC school.
I know they get us easy wins, but I think the SEC should kick out Vandy and Mizzou. Nothing personal with Mizzou, it's just that the school isn't South or East. Regarding Vandy, eff them. I always had a soft spot for the school as my dad went there (he's a UK fan, however), but no more. Not having a proper AD is just Mickey Mouse shit. Moreover, they've decided they want to be ultra woke in everything they do, rather than being the U Chicago of the South plus Sports which would absolutely dominate. Kick them out. Make them more of a Sewanee.

Derby week.

-I've been hogging the virtual pavement most of this year. Only 2 good outdoor rides.

-All American weekend. (2) 6 year old birthday parties. UK Baseball game. Tee Ball Friday/Sunday. Family Dinner while watching the Cats secure a Natty. Great fun by all.

-Submitted a formal request to the league for birth certificate review and post game drug testing after playing the 1927 Yankees yesterday. Result pending. We play them again and I'll be implementing a heavy shift. Fairly certain I recognized Victor Conte as one of their assistants.

-Derby prep starts tomorrow. Need to get a few reps in before the big show. Strategies and such are a bit off since I haven't horsey gamboled in a few months.

-The Clarke stuff is still hard to process. Hopefully he'll get "drafted" by the Celtics.

-Disney crushed both Wanda and FWS. Really enjoyed both. Loki is going to be the best though. Caint wait.

-Lol at the Ricky Gervais Oscars opening. That guy is amazing. Hadn't seen it in about a year and it was making the rounds again last night. The reactions were just priceless.

-When we were kids we had The Floodwall. Basically just a ditch leading out of the subdivision to a drainage area and a field that was most likely too contaminated from Rubbertown/ Mill Creek drainage to actually build on. It was glorious and mysterious. Also, mostly strictly outlawed by our parents, which made it even better. Featured a shitty disgusting creek, a small tunnel, killer ATV/dirt bike, BMX trails, skate board half pipe, and of course Devil's Hill. Devil's Hill allegedly had a secret hole around the top that a kid, from the other side of the flood wall, fell in and was never ever found. Another kid, also from the other side of the flood wall, died trying to free hand down devils hill on a bike. Frequent devil worship groups held ouija seances in the tunnel, or on special occasions, on top of Devil's Hill. Basically, anytime you entered The Floodwall you were risking death in an extreme fashion.

Still just in awe of the volleyball team. Best sports I’ve seen all year.

ee9a0020fd0c4e3fb4d75f8a515d6797-ee9a0020fd0c4e3fb4d75f8a515d6797-0.jpg

hidekimatsuyama-690176-640x360.jpg

A-little-Magic-4.jpg

....among others.

• Haha
Reactions: 80 Proof
I said what I said.

Did enjoy Tom taking #7.

The Masters was boring.

That was a good game between the Zags and Baylor, but eff them both.

Cats.

Tom and Hideki are the 2 best sports stories of the year, and will likely hold up.

Good for the girls, but that died off w/ the quickness on local social media. Volleyball probably won't be mentioned again the rest of the year. May as well have been curling.

Huge win for the VolleyCats. Texas knocked off #1 overall seed Wisconsin, but the #2 overall was too much. What was really cool, UK's first two opponents, UK's one loss was more than both teams combined. WKU and UNLV came into their match vs. UK undefeated.

UFC card for once was a good one top to bottom (Thanks Sportsurge.net / Streameast for the uninterrupted pirating of the PPV) . It was a night for brutal leg injuries. Anthony Smith crushed Jimmy Crute's knee, but that injury Weidman suffered was Joe Theismann level bad. Crute tried to continue against Smith, but he didn't have a leg to stand on with his argument he was "ok", good move by the ref to call it and not let him go back out. Thug Rose dropped the Chinese girl with a devastating kick, little Sweet Chin Music, Shawn Michaels would be in awe.

Grilling / Miller Lite drinking / Talladega / tunes out on the deck yesterday was not as good as being in Key West, but damn fine day to sit back, relax, and spend a peaceful, quite day, just me and my best friend, my 78 pound Rhodesian Ridgeback / Mastiff mix.

Congratulations!

Think about running Loving the Hills next February. As a friend told me - it builds character.

UKO is definitely right that the win hasn’t turned millions of Kentuckians from across the Commonwealth into lifelong diehard volleyball fanatics who live and die with every single serve so honestly the last week wasn’t even fun and nobody enjoyed it so shut up and quit having fun in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT