ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
The crash video shows he was flying through the intersection and hit the wall so hard it knocked the left front tire off the wheel. Gone in a millisecond. Just tragic.
Yeah, that was "whatever speed he was driving to 0" immediately.

My uncle/godfather passed away yesterday. He built Shilito Park Apartments in Lexington. Pretty He took me under his wing when I made shitty grades one semester. With one year of hard labor working at Mt.Zion Apartments in Florence. He taught me what the real world was all about.

So many good things to say about him. Probably similar to things you would say about your cool family member. We all have those few family members that has our back no matter what. When one passes away it really sucks selfishly.

Sucks about TC. Not going to beat up BJW over something none of us wanted to happen. Well, I didn't read a lot of the replies to him declaring but unless you wished him dead, I think it's fair to recognize there is a stark difference between someone taking bball talents elsewhere and your hurt feels over that compared them dying tragically in a car. Just hope those nearest him fully heal from what I'm sure will be a long and arduous road to mental recovery. Hope TC rest peacefully.

- My long, solo work trip drives are podcasts and guessing demographics of the person I'm 100% certain is texting and driving. Gal a couple weeks ago passed me on the left with her phone literally held in front of her face, catches the shoulder, swerves back into my lane, overcorrects back to the shoulder and somehow didn't flip or cause a multi-car pile up.

Out around town, I see more kids t/d. On the interstate, it's adults. This isn't something that is popular with just kids and they're most likely picking some of this behavior up from riding around with their Karen or Dan parent doing the same thing.

What has America really done to curb this? We started buying more trucks and SUVs. Which, rack B-rax on that - if people are going to continue to be careless and not GAF about anyone else while driving than best arm yourself with a bigger chassis/engine/ride height.

Would also vote for any legislation that makes it legal to take someone's phone from them at a traffic light after they just missed the cycle and beat them in the head with it until the next green light.

I am pretty terrible at math and also never had much for the hard sciences, so I had a retired cop explain to me like I was 5 how to calculate feet per second. So, if you are traveling 60 mph and look at your cell phone for 4 seconds, you missed roughly 352 feet of roadway, etc. I remember standing on the street corner where we were doing accident reconstruction and feeling like a complete dipshit for ever looking at my phone while driving. Even knowing that, it's hard to put the damn thing away--especially on the interstate, which is an order of magnitude more stupid given higher speeds. It took seeing a lot of nasty car accident photos (and getting rear-ended myself) to get me to slow the eff down.

Not a clue on how to fix that with the greater population. All I can do is set my stupid phone aside and stay as alert as I can, I guess. I do not envy parents trying to hammer this home with their kids. And if you're giving them a beater car, make sure it's a "modern" beater with a crumple zone. Please.

@_Chase_ --all the best to your BIL. My mom just got through a melanoma scare and now has a 8mm scar on her neck as a war wound. Lymphoma was my biggest fear while we were waiting on biopsies.

Reactions: _Chase_
  • Texting and driving has reversed recent trends in increased driver safety. A heavily targeted campaign to reduce this would save thousands of lives per year.
  • I am really nervous about my kids driving, but as a very frequent user of Uber when I was traveling, those effing knuckleheads can't be better than my kids. Those clowns aren't professional drivers and are ALWAYS on their phones.
  • Full autonomous driving is still a long way off. But I think integration traffic signals / auto-breaking when lights are turning red / potential objects are very close to being in all cars.
  • I don't mean to be insensitive, but I didn't get to know Clarke at all. This one feels like when Stewart died. A guy I wanted to get to know and wished he had an opportunity to be a big part of the UK family.

Reactions: Col. Angus
We all deal in our own way.

I had made a post back earlier in the year about TC being like one of Cal's guys who he brings in and puts on the team to help keep the GPA's respectable as TC was the top cheerleader-always smiling, always encouraging and normally the first guy running out to meet the players during timeouts/end of halves/end of games.

My cynicism thought ole TC was living large, cared nothing about Kentucky and knew he was out in a few months and getting his money.

After these heart wrenching stories and tributes, I think I was wrong. He was all in with this team regardless.

Yep, I think I was wrong with that assessment and I am OK with that....

Reactions: roguemocha
With today’s technology it’s really easy to voice text, play music selections, etc. I hook the phone up to Apple/Car Play and never need to look at my phone. As tech savvy as kids are now why more do not do it is beyond me. A few others mentioned it about getting their kid a bigger vehicle like a Yukon, etc. Friend of mine bought his daughter a 2yr old Expedition last year as her first car because he was so afraid of her getting in an accident in a smaller vehicle. Said it was money well spent for the peace of mind that she at least had a better chance if in a wreck.

I would suggest, to any GYERO parents out there that have teenagers that are about to start driving, sit them down and make them watch "From One Second to the Next"

It's a short documentary that Werner Herzog made about that very subject, and it's VERY sobering...
Honestly, as a parent, you could do a lot worse than have Werner Herzog teach them all the basics. Or at least narrate those life lessons.

I made them watch Grizzly Man before we went to Yellowstone, for example. Didn’t lose a single kid to bear attacks.

That’s my attempt at humor today.

I’ve had that late night phone call from a police officer that my child has had a wreck.

My middle daughter (19) my youngest daughter (17) and a friend hydroplaned into an interstate sign, bent it in two and ended up in a ditch full of water. The car, a Honda Civic was totaled, but the only injury to any of them was from broken glass that rained down on them. My 19 year old had some scaring to her retina from the glass. They were incredibly lucky.

That 10 minute drive out to the spot where they had the accident was one of the longest of my life. Everyone was incredibly kind and the EMTs even waded out to the car to get some of the girls’ belongings for them. It was the best possible outcome.

The officer that I talked to told me how impressed he was by how well the Civic held up and protected the girls. He said that in most other smaller sized vehicles, a collision like that would not have had such a good outcome. It was just one guy’s remarks/opinion but it made a big impression on me and we have since. bought 2 more Hondas for the girls, and 19 (now 29) just bought the new CRV hybrid for herself.

Last edited:
If only he didn’t have the worst season in team history...😂

But Cal loves his guys. That part ain’t fake about him.

🏐

Anyone know if raccoons, opossums, etc. eat dog shit?

I went out earlier for pooper scooper duty, and there were only three piles when there should have been maybe a dozen. This has been happening for a while.

Reactions: Kooky Kats
Anyone know if raccoons, opossums, etc. eat dog shit?

I went out earlier for pooper scooper duty, and there were only three piles when there should have been maybe a dozen. This has been happening for a while.
Possums will. Dogs will too. I've never heard of a coon doing that.

In a somewhat related note... I stepped out on the back deck after the kids were in bed to grab a breath of fresh air and startled a coon in my yard. He hopped the fence into my neighbor's yard, climbed up on his roof, then sat on the ridge and watched me. Strange little creatures.

Reactions: rudd1 and WynnDuffy
b1a.gif

I’ve observed him closely for twelve years now, Rex, and he’s no shit eater. Thankfully - how shameful it would be to have a shit eating dog.

I’m deferring to 80’s vast critter knowledge and going with the (o)possum. Vile and noxious creatures. Their tails are creepy as hell.

• Sad
Reactions: Rex Kwon Do
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT