ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Completely different type basket case” :joy::joy:

First time for everything.

Puig was fun this season, and served his purpose. But he’s an unrestricted free agent, and only getting older. He was nice to have around but his presence isn’t a huge loss.

Reactions: jayroon
You guys are probably right. I mean Bauer got ran from AZ as a mental midget, and until Franconia saved his career he was nothing in Cleveland either.

But, a playoff contender trying to make a run just moved a “starter” for an “okay” outfielder.

Congrats on the trade.

KSR gripe: whenever Matt “reads a tweet” that is painfully obviously just a made up lead-in for something he wants to talk about.
Someone tweets in “Matt, I saw you this weekend walking down the road and it looked like you were thinking about the new Tyler Childers album, what do you think?” :rolleyes:

I like when Matt pretends to forget people’s names or says someone's name wrong on purpose.

“Puig was fun this season, and served his purpose. But he’s an unrestricted free agent, and only getting older. He was nice to have around but his presence isn’t a huge loss.

Guys who go 25/75 .265 w/ his defense are a dime a dozen :rolleyes:

I knew you would lead the pack on the ignorant comments regarding this.

Unless you're 21 years old, hitting .310+ with power, on a sub $2 million/year contract and decent trade bait going forward I have no place for you on my team tbh. Don't see why teams don't just stock up on those type of guys; seems pretty easy

Seems like a win-win-win for all three. Reyes was expendable in a crowded SD outfield, so they flip him for an exciting young prospect. Reds are pushing their chips all in on 2020 and knew Puig would likely not re-sign. Indians get two power bats in one deal, and had pitching to burn. Also frees up cash if they (hopefully) want to try and lock up Lindor.

Also, it does seem like Puig has been around for 15 years, but he's only 28. And his personality masks the fact that he's not quite the slugger many think he is. He's not even the best part of the trade for the Tribe, imo. The Reyes kid already has 27 homers and is only 24 years old. Plus, the earliest he can be a free agent is 2025. They'll plug him in at DH and be set there for a while.

I like it. And Clark, if you use this opportunity to come in and make some wisecrack about the 2016 World Series, I will absolutely call Animal Control on you and Mals. Believe THAT.

Reactions: anthonys735
Guys who go 25/75 .265 w/ his defense are a dime a dozen :rolleyes:

I knew you would lead the pack on the ignorant comments regarding this.

Except he's not hitting .265, he's hitting .252. That's good for 107th-best in MLB. His on-base % is .302, which is 134th-best. His power has been nice, and with 22 home runs this season, that's 36th-best in the bigs. 61 RBI? 39th. .475 slugging % is 72nd. How about runs? He's got 51 of those, which is tied for 92nd best.

He's been a very nice player, but in one of the smallest ballparks in baseball, that type of production isn't irreplaceable.

Remember Ryan Ludwick? He went .275 w/26 homers at 33 years old in 2012. Scott Schebler gave us .233 w/30 bombs 2 years ago. Adam Duvall had back to back seasons of .240 w/30+ home runs. All played similar or (much) better defense.

Puig was nice. It was great to have him for 4 months, but he's just not that great. His OPS+, if you believe that sort of thing, is 96. He's actually slightly below average. I'm sorry if you just don't understand baseball.

Trading Bauer to the Reds is perfect in two ways:

1. He's not going to a contender who the Indians will potentially face in this year's playoffs.
2. I'll get to enjoy the reaction of Reds fans to that whole roller coaster.

Reactions: krazykats
I’m not disagreeing that Puig is replaceable, but the Reds do not currently have a guy ready to plug into RF right now. 2 months left, but if you extend his numbers out Puig was on pace to .265 30 HRs 100RBIs 20 SBs.

He was hitting .220 after May so the average had been going up already.

Hopefully Bauer comes in with a humble attitude, and it’s all worth it in hindsight. But the Reds now have 7 starting pitchers and an outfield of VanMeter, Senzel, Winkler.

The new market inefficiency in baseball to be exploited (a la moneyball 20 years ago) might be teams overvaluing prospects to an irrational degree.

Case in point - there are many “smart” baseball pundits panning this trade because the Reds gave up six years of control of our number one prospect. But guess what - the guy is hitting sub-.250 with no power, and a marginal arm, in the corner outfield, and he’s never played above AA. We flipped him for a proven and effective ML starter whose addition will give us the top rotation in the division, and maybe the NL, next year. That’s a no brainer.

If anyone made a questionable deal here it was San Diego. The OF they sent to Cleveland has already proven himself to be a good power hitter, and they replace him with a scuffling AA player. Not sure what they were going for there.

Castillo
Bauer
Gray
Wood
Roark
Descafini

They will move Roark, Wood, or possibly even Bauer today. Most likely Roark which would leave a pretty nice rotation, especially if Wood stays healthy and gets extended.

Ideally, because of salary you move Gennett and Roark. I just don't see Scooter worth the $$ and about everyone on the team can play 2B. Possibly get a decent prospect to take the place of Trammell.

As it stands right now, the net of everything is we traded Homer and Trammell for Bauer, Wood, & Farmer.

Throwing at a dude is fine, it's how teams police each other. But you hit them in the ass or thigh, not in the head area. That is bush league.

I like the passion Bell has to protect his players but he's getting a rep within the league and umps are just going to toss everytime he steps out of the dugout. Ole boy was fired up last night.

I have never been to Baltimore so my perception of it will probably always be shaped by having watched The Wire.

I'm not a baseball. I just know that I have watched more Reds games this year than I have in the past 30 years...probably combined...and despite being on the wrong side of .500 they were really fun to watch. Guess they couldn't have kept Puig anyway but going to miss him.

According to our business first gov table games, live sports book, poker room + massive increase in state revenue = suicides but lotto, horse gambling, cigarettes, etc. = a vibrant healthy state. What a joke.

For all the terribleness of Ohio (oatsausage, pizza, sports franchises, etc.) it seems Kentucky could learn a thing or two regarding how to elect "normal" human beings to office.

Reactions: Touch_Em_All
[QUOTE="WynnDuffy, post: 8114789, member: 86765"....]whose addition will give us the top rotation in the division, and maybe the NL, next year. [/QUOTE]

LOL...good grief.

Puig may be overrated in terms of normal MLB expectations, but he perfectly rated and suited for a shit franchise like the Reds. Hit a few bombs, flip a few bats, and fight a mfer or two. Keep a guy like that on a roster that can flirt with .500, be the second worst team in the division, and the Reds are golden with the fans.

If he was less than $5M/yr than I'm good with those #'s. But not at what he will be getting this winter.

Reactions: jayroon
I actually think the small market of Cincinnati will be good for Bauer. Similar thing with Matt Harvey. Leave the bright lights of NYC and come to a team in the heartland with sausage festivals and whatnot and it really settles everything down for you.

I actually think the small market of Cincinnati will be good for Bauer. Similar thing with Matt Harvey. Leave the bright lights of NYC and come to a team in the heartland with sausage festivals and whatnot and it really settles everything down for you.

Did you just compare leaving NYC to leaving Cleveland? I mean, it’s a little bigger market than Cincinnati, but come on now..

Been firing up the NES Classic lately and have learned that 42-year-old UCL would absolutely wreck 10-year-old UCL at Tecmo Bowl. I don't know if this is exciting or depressing.

Reactions: roguemocha
Clint Hurdle is a POS. There's no excuse for the way PIT throws at people. It's not even about trying to protect their own players. They deserve far worse than what they got last night.

Hurdle is lucky that someone like Tony LaRussa isn't around anymore. Every Pittsburgh player would be worried about getting hit every at-bat against STL for the rest of the season and beyond. It would've been a matter of when, not if.

I know Reds fans hated him, but he was one tough SOB who refused to tolerate that kind of garbage.

No. Not even close with Matt Harvey.

Harvey was young and rich in NY and got wild. Bauer was ran out of AZ for being spoiled pompas punk, and frankly Cleveland was done with him too until Franconia baby sit his ass into being an all star.

Rumors were swirling this past offseason they wanted Bauer gone, and that was after 12-6 17-8 and 12-6 seasons where he was the damn ace.

Look, I hope he works out because the guy can pitch, but let’s be honest here a 62-44 team pushing for playoffs doesn’t move you if you are that valuable to them. He was their ace and they dropped him like a bad habit.

Sure their haul in this is unreal considering the whole world saw his peak 3 days ago with Franconia takingthe ball as he asked WTF are doing out here. But that’s because the Reds and Padres are severely mismanaged for the most part.

Coming to a loser now, and Bauer is just supposed to straighten up?

My guess is Puig, Trammel (#14 prospect in all of baseball) and one of those arms could have pulled one hell of a haul besides someone coming in as a cancer(although I really Hope I’m wrong)

Also it’s 7 starters:

Bauer
Castillo
Gray
Wood
Mahle
Descalfani
Roark

My political take for the week is just a reminder that you can now purchase either a "Cocaine Mitch" t shirt or a "Moscow Mitch" shirt.

moscowMitchWithHat_red_unisexFrontV3__25323.1564584684.jpg

Cocaine-Mitch-McConnell-T-Shirt.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT