ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
OOOH, Heaven is a Place on Earth...

55437897_10106901639461025_2914326792862957568_n.jpg

From March 26th. The posts after this didn't age well.

Glad you all are enjoying.

Chris experienced a LOT of death around him... which was quite the swerve. I expected an Emery envelope to be sent to the jail and just pop open before it could be searched.

Chris experienced a LOT of death around him... which was quite the swerve. I expected an Emery envelope to be sent to the jail and just pop open before it could be searched.

I've already thought about a sequel where the NCAA investigates and Chris was found to have received impermissible benefits and the whole undefeated season was vacated. That's probably where it was headed. Because staying 4 years while Mama worked at the law firm, even back then, was a red flag let's be real honest. A Marcus Camby type deal most likely.

Reactions: JSRose
-SAE's story is going to be the highlight of the week, even if it's only Monday morning. I'm calling it already. I wrote stuff like that too when I was a kid, though not nearly as eloquently. I even went as far as to make up a college, its basketball roster, schedule, etc. I had a lot of free time and was a weird kid.

-Side question....when you were playing hoops in the driveway, on the nerf in your basement, shooting hoops at the park!, etc., which Kentucky player did you pretend to be? I always found myself being Dirk(until age 10), or Davender(10-13).

-Speaking of former Kentucky players....it was really good to see Daniel Orton back in town and down at the Craft Center over the weekend. The guy thought he was gonna be the man when he signed, only to realize that the Monstars were coming to town. Made some bad moves and left on bad terms. He was a kid. It happens. I wish Cal had been around this weekend, but it sounds like amends have been made.

And again, it only reinforces the fact that nobody else in college basketball does this like Cal. Think Derryck Thornton is gonna pop into Durham to chat it up with K? J.R. Giddens gonna stop by the KU practice facility to sign their wall? The Wear twins enjoying a nice cold Coca-Cola with Roy? Nope nope and nope. But guys who willingly leave the program under Cal...Wiltjer, Lee, Stacey Poole, etc., are welcomed back with open arms. Crazy. And yet another reason why I don't believe a word Kyle Macy is saying about that.

-Random recruits that I really wanted Kentucky to get back in the day: Elliott Perry, Kendrick Warren, Bubba Wilson, Jerod Ward, Jason Kapono.

-Side question....when you were playing hoops in the driveway, on the nerf in your basement, shooting hoops at the park!, etc., which Kentucky player did you pretend to be? I always found myself being Dirk(until age 10), or Davender(10-13).
That question probably does more to reveal a poster's age than about any other. Probably Walker and Davender on the Nerfoop games in the bedroom that led to many a parent yell about banging walls and doors.

And I assume everyone hacked the Nerfoop by placing the back edge behind the door trim so you could play with an open door, sailing through the hall for a dunk with hang time.

-1 for Chris's brother getting killed for a gold chain and not a pair of Jordans.

Other than that, perfection

Consider the era in which the story was penned. Back in the 90's- murder over a gold rope chain-or even a 14k herringbone, was fairly common. And a lot of us middle class parochial schoolers recognized the alarming trend.

Jordan related murders, while likely occurring in that time period- increased exponentially later in our lifetime.

- My best buddy and I made up an entire University’s Football Program. Our fictional University was based in Alaska and we used every direction plus A&M, Tech, State, etc. that we could think of. We created a bizarro college football world.

We got the idea on one boring college football Saturday when every powerhouse was playing a cupcake. *Wouldn’t it be weird if Bethune Cookman was a legit contender and upset Florida State?*

That conversation led to the Northeastern Southwestern Coastal Alaska Tech A&M State University (I may have missed a few other titles). Our colors? Powder blue and pink because we were in a bizarro world, you know. Our mascot? Probably not politically correct today, but we were 12 year old kids and looking for the most opposite thing ever. So the Homo Canines were born.

Our roster was stacked full of Brian Bosworth ripoffs and guys faster than Rocket Ishmael. We made their names from baseball cards and forgotten tv show characters. One pile of cards was first names. The other pile was for last names. I can still remember our Heisman Trophy winning QB, Christian Bartokowitz.

- For basketball, it was a group of buddies just pretending to be the current UK team. We took that much more serious except for our rival team we faced every game, The Terrible Transfers. Those guys transferred after each game and joined whatever team The Cats played next. David Butler was our favorite guy to imitate.

- For baseball, we ran out of Wiffle balls one time. We found an ace bandage and some medical tape. We rolled the bandage up and put the ankle wrapping tape around it. Neighborhood kids joined in the homerun Derby we created and thus, The Ace Bandage League was formed.

- Try ^THAT^ on for weird and bored! We had a made up team/league for every season and sport.

-If it's not one of my favorite golfers I'm happy for a story line; guy comes out of nowhere, revive a lost career, young budding star, hometown hero. At least TOC had a solid Irishman win it on home soil.

-Le Tour on the other hand was insane.

-Looks like we got our little taste of brutal humid summer out of the way and the forecast after today looks amooozing. Let's keep that same forecast through Oct 15th, please.

-At least we weren't wrong judging those douchebags in the picture. Crown royal, hard pose, L Dawgs, and future owners of a knock off Hooters. Assuming they're part owners of a shitty club/bar downtown as well. That my friends is JDub trajectory. #bigtymeyurts #djkdog #elleraiser

-Tried Cooper Craft 100 this weekend, that's a interesting bourbon. Tons of vanilla and sweet flavors, maybe a little too much, but different for sure. Worth a sip.

-Tip to the wise sous vide steak boilers. I drop a couple lumps of butter in each bag then pour that either in mushrooms on the stove or directly on the flame while steaks are on the grill during sear. You're welcome.

-Opted for a Prime Day electric pressure washer with mediocre reviews and $107 off then I'll pay someone to do the heavy lifting on the driveway in the spring.

Reactions: Joey Rupption
My recollection of Brownies is that it’s a casual neighborhood bar. Not a dive at all, but certainly not upscale. Cheap beer and solid bar food at a reasonable price.

You throw some televisions and nice titties into the mix and it’s basically heaven on alcoholic earth as far as I’m concerned.

Reactions: parrott
While you're sitting in your air-conditioned office scrolling through the internet, know that there are heroes out there who have to face unspeakable pressure each and every day.

Don't take your privilege for granted, folks.

My recollection of Brownies is that it’s a casual neighborhood bar. Not a dive at all, but certainly not upscale. Cheap beer and solid bar food at a reasonable price.

You throw some televisions and nice titties into the mix and it’s basically heaven on alcoholic earth as far as I’m concerned.

They moved over to Linn Station Rd off Hurstbourne. Free standing building. Decent patio. Good bar food.

I’ve played football on the field at Nippert Stadium using a Taco Bell bag.

Was Bill Laimbeer when playing hoops outside.

Reactions: rudd1
I may be wrong but this may be beyond even Billy Joe Wildcat.

Man threatens to blow up OKC because the Thunder got rid of Westbrook, Anthony and George.

The caller then made several threatening remarks which appear to be directed at head coach Billy Donovan and Thunder management. The caller said he wants to “kill everybody,” hopes that Russell Westbrook returns to kill everyone in the organization, wants to spit on everyone’s mothers, urinate on their children, “beat the shit out of everybody[’s] kid that work there,” and bomb Oklahoma City if he were ever to visit.

The caller then left another voicemail seven minutes later, at 1:19 a.m., where he acknowledged that what he said was “disrespectful shit,” but he stood by his comments.

[laughing]

Speaking of manslaughter there was a wrestler by that name that came to our local armory on a few occasions. Was terrifying. Those local wrestling events were something growing up.

Reactions: jayroon
I'm a little older so it I was always Kyle Macy, you know shoot a free throw, dribble twice, wipe hands on socks, shoot, treat everybody with a little condescension and let you know I'm a little better than you.

Ireland/Northern Ireland rundown....

- 10 days driving the country gives you a good feel for the attractions/tourist areas that you feel you should hit up as well as a lot of the low key places that locals frequent.

- Driving in Ireland is no joke. Several nervous moments but got out unscathed and without the typical damage charge on the rental car. Old Richmond Road is an interstate compared to most of their roads.

- Royal Portrush was an amazing venue and setting. Everyone was just so proud to host the Open and show off their area. They constantly battle the past and perceptions so it was cool for them to get to stick their chest out a bit. The marshalls, volunteers, fans, etc were beaming.

- Had great weather the majority of time (low to mid 70's and sunshine) and then got a taste for our last few days. Went from a light pullover to full rain gear to a thick jacket with a tobaggan back to the pullover at Portrush.

- The Irish folks we interacted with really remind me a lot of Kentuckians. Proud, exceedingly kind, a little rough around the edges... good, hearty folks.

- Snackdown... outside of Dublin/Belfast/Derry you're eating at local pubs.

- Got to play golf 5 times and it's just a completely different world. So much less stuffy and rigid. They love golf but they don't take it so seriously and worry about every weed/imperfection/etc. I also fell in love with the concept of the 12 hole course. Just about perfect to play in the evenings.

-One of the best weekends of the year, Coach's For Kids out at Mt Brilliant Farm. Not sure if any of you guys are going to join us this year, but the ultimate night for a UK Football fan. All the major bourbon distillers on site serving their brown water, handmade cigars, hanging out with the coaches one on one shooting the ish on everything from recruiting to our poor golf games, great live auction items, and alot of money raised for a great organization. Hoping Coach Brooks makes his return to the event that he helped start over a decade ago which benefits UK Children's Hospital.

-Last t ball allstars tournament for the Huber boys as well this coming weekend then we can enjoy the remaining 2 weeks of summer. after school starts right back into Fall ball. All the ish I gave my friends who wasted summers following their kids around to random baseball fields, I'm now living it. The wife and I are totally over baseball. Not sure when it ever ends.

-While the traditionalists aren't big fans, love the new design of the Corvette!
764A3086-1-640x354.jpg

-Not much worse than going to your barber shop only to find your normal dude is out and a dude whos never chopped your wig seemly has no idea what he's doing.

-Cant believe Rudd's sister in law works for me, for like 2 years and just now making the connection. All the stories I now have to use for bribes and free construction plans.

A smaller course set up of 6 and 6 would probably be an ideal alternative set up when you cant get a full round in. And if we're honest- most of us arent good golfers and a few less holes isnt a bad thing. If those smaller set ups become popular- it should probably be pretty standard to hook up your bluetooth, play ready-golf, and keep your ass moving. Anyone caught looking for balls more than a couple minutes, wearing two gloves, putting on a red mock turtleneck etc... dont even bother.

I play golf about once a year at this point - at a mini-family reunion that’s coming up this weekend. This morning, I got a tee time to get some practice in, and got paired up from GolfNow with a guy that used to cook for John Gotti’s parties and events in the 80’s - awesome guy. I heard amazing stories all round and got to talk a lot about NY and pizza with an absolute expert. It was like the golf gods were thanking me for coming back.

Back at the old office, the ex-coworkers sent me a video on Insta wherein they were all looking at the staffing spreadsheet on the conference room TV. The frame is just my old boss with his laptop and the screen listing employees. Then someone said “Now” and he drop one finger to delete my name from the spreadsheet and they overlaid and atomic bomb animation and said “Goodbye, Joey.”

Off to buy these Chinos.

Reactions: roguemocha
Why are you leaving...you make it sound like the best place ever. Kaish?
Yup, I’m the only guy in the region who can do what they need me to do. I knew it and they knew it after they spent a year looking for somebody to do it.

It was a “Will Wade offer,” and my old job didn’t even really present counter terms it was so beyond. They just said come back whenever - don’t go anywhere else. (I could each their lunch from anywhere in town - but won’t.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT