ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I never shared “Courtship,” the fictional short story I wrote about a young basketball player in Detroit who had to overcome everything to earn a scholarship from Steve Fisher and the Michigan Wolverines. It’s loaded with some pretty offensive stereotypes and storylines that really haven’t aged well tbh.

“Chris Williams was a clean, skinny, 12 year old black kid from Detroit who figured his only way out of the violent atmosphere of his neighborhood was to take his basketball talent that he was gifted with to the top.”

-To be fair, you (we) likely learned about urban black culture from John Singleton movies.

-Got stuck going with my wife to the Mackenzie-Child’s barn sale this week. 24 hours of camping out so she could shop for 90 minutes. Western NY was hen central. She got me back for not buying presents for a few years. Awful.

-Mr Hustle trophy at Metro Parks basketball camp.

67277669_10161965795545006_6268679002450296832_n.jpg

67081296_10161965795500006_7745386057004220416_n.jpg

67190857_10161965795415006_3609990703154724864_n.jpg

67757655_10161965795340006_8773456650477502464_n.jpg

That deserved a transcription.

Mama, I’m going to the park to shoot baskets!, Chris hollered across the corridors of the poor rundown complex in Detroit, Michigan. Chris Williams was a clean, skinny, 12 year old black kid from Detroit who figured his only way out of the violent atmosphere of his neighborhood was to take his basketball talent that he was gifted with to the top.

Chris was 2 years old when his father had gone to the state penitentiary for manslaughter.

To make it worse, when Chris was six, his older and only brother was murdered for a gold chain.

Chris became determined and practiced every minute he had the chance.

By the time Chris was in 8th grade, he was not yet sure where he would go to school. His mother was willing to work overtime at the law firm where she was a secretary to send him to a Catholic high school. Chris preferred a public school because he attended a public school through out his lie. Chris’ mom talked him into attending the catholic school, St. Charles. Chris did not regret it either. His freshman year he started on the varsity team. He averaged 10 points and 6 rebounds a game during his freshman year. He was 6’4” 180 pounds and wasn’t finished growing.

By his Junior year, Chris had professional moves which he learned from playing on the playground his whole life.

Throughout his whole Senior year he was offered scholarships to colleges from all around like Michigan, Kentucky, Louisville, North Carolina, Duke and California. Chris’ mother was deeply ill. However, he did not want to leave her by going to some party school in California or North Carolina. As a result, Chris signed with Steve Fisher and the Michigan Wolverines.

Chris enjoyed his freshman year as a reserve for Ray Jackson, a small forward.

Chris was 6’7”, 230 and was averaging 8.9 points a game and 3 rebounds. His mother was dying of cancer by his Junior year. Chris was starting that year and was the team leading scorer. Michigan visited the “Elite Eight” in the NCAA tournament before falling to Duke.

His senior year the Wolverines were making history. Michigan was undefeated going to the NCAA tournament with the top seed. Chris was averaging 29.5 points a game and 10 rebounds. Michigan was knocking everybody out of their way in the bracket. Michigan demolished Arizona in the Final Four by beating the Wildcats by 15. The Final Four was being held in Orlando. Chris was hundreds of miles away from his sick mother in Detroit. Steve Fisher, Michigan’s head coach, was concerned about Chris since he was only scoring 8 points a game. After a half hour of discussing the situation, Chris finally blurted out that it was his mother. Coach Fisher let him skip practice to rest and clear his mind.

April 4th was the big day, the National Championship. Michigan and Duke would meet again, but this time for the whole ball of string. It was the match up of the year.

At halftime Michigan was up by 7. Chris also heard the news that he, Coach Fisher, and the doctors predicted-his mother passed away of cancer. Chris had scored 0 points in the first half. His father, the one who had been sent to jail for manslaughter 20 years ago was in attendance at the game. Chris mourned his mothers death but used it as an influence to play his best. He scored 21 points in the second half to lift the mighty Wolverines past the forgettable Duke Blue Devils.

As the crowd, announcers, players and coaches celebrated, Chris remembered the kind, caring person who made it all possible, his mother.

- Much respect for Coach Maybrey. Coming to PRP/Fern Creek before Christmas for a little tourney action. I’ll let y’all know the details in case any of y’all want to see my chops up close.

- And I’ll be 43 next Saturday. There has not been any evidence to the contrary in all of my years posting here that I would still run anyone in this thread in pickup ball. Y’all played with a few black folks one time? L-O-L!!!!!!

**** Afro-German Santa and NW50 don’t post here any more. And I could hang with AGS . . . I think.

3 rebounds per game? BOARD IT, CHRIS. BOARD IT FOR MOM.

-Duke's fabled "Forgettables" are definitely one of my all-time favorite non-Kentucky squads.

Reactions: BigBadBlueDaddy
That’s about the most boring interview ever. The only thing missing is the monotone....

“Swing feels good. Course looks good. I. Like. My. Chances.”

There hasn’t been a speck of sunshine in 4 days. 30 mile an hour winds, rain, cold, and generally just nasty.

I get beer and stuff, but why would anyone want to live in Northern Ireland? It’s the middle of July and it’s miserable.

Reactions: Strokin_Bandit
Koepka looks like he wants to beat the shit out of JB. And I don’t blame him one bit. UK boy or not, he has turned into a headcase little bitch.

Bo Martin , Lowry’s caddy looks like he’d be a contender in the “Who would you least like to fight?” thread.

If you look like that, and you’re from Northern Ireland, well, you won’t hear a peep out of me. I’m just going to sit here and keep my F&&&ing mouth shut.

That guy looks like he’s probably killed a man

Oh yea let ya kno someone took my Confederate durag here a week ago and I Kno who it was. Reason I do Kno, is them two people people were the only ones that been here. So just let them Kno, you better return it back. Mom and Dad didn't raise no fools you two. There will be consequences, Promise.

Reactions: Mashburned
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT