ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moon Taxi is the best live act on that lineup as well.

Some NOLA band is opening up 3 nights at at the Gorge, Hurray for the Riff Raff? Probably going to be a hard pass. Last year another NOLA band was out there and they were a blast, Preservation Hall Jazz Band.

Our last day in Hilton Head. Having a blast with the family. Hasn’t been as relaxing as our other beach vacations minus kids but so rewarding.

Of course as I realize we’re leaving tomorrow that annual moment of epiphany hits as to why we don’t eventually move down to this area. Met several folks over the course of the week who made the move albeit most of them are older. My goal is that by the time I’m close to retirement we can purchase a small condo in the Charleston or Hilton Head area and lease it out most of the year and spend the late fall & winter months down here. Nothing fancy but just enough that we can enjoy with family and friends.

These volleys, man. :eyes:

The origins of the 15, 30, and 40 scores are believed to be medieval French. The earliest reference is in a ballad by Charles D'Orleans in 1435 which refers to quarante cinque ("forty-five"), which gave rise to modern 40. In 1522 there is a sentence in Latin "we are winning 30, we are winning 45". The first recorded theories about the origin of 15 were published in 1555 and 1579. However, the origins of this convention remain obscure.[3]

It is sometimes believed that clock faces were used to keep score on court, with a quarter move of the minute hand to indicate a score of 15, 30, and 45. When the hand moved to 60, the game was over. However, in order to ensure that the game could not be won by a one-point difference in players' scores, the idea of "deuce" was introduced. To make the score stay within the "60" ticks on the clock face, the 45 was changed to 40. Therefore, if both players had 40, the first player to score would receive ten, and that would move the clock to 50. If the player scored a second time before the opponent is able to score, they would be awarded another ten and the clock would move to 60. The 60 signifies the end of the game. However, if a player fails to score twice in a row, then the clock would move back to 40 to establish another "deuce".[4][5]

When your wife is a doctor, and when you’ve got a very replaceable bank job, you can live wherever TF you want. Don’t be a pansy. If you want to move, do it.

Easy in theory. I guess it boils down to being close to my mom & dad (who aren’t getting any younger) and friends. Despite me bitching about the weather recently I really do love living in Louisville and the state of Kentucky. Need to get a place down here for later in life.

If I had kids, I’m sure I’d place a huge value in being near family, too. But if anyone I know is longing for a better, happier life elsewhere, I’m going to at least point out how easily most of you could make it happen.

It always sounds good in theory when you're on vacation, and I often times envy those that do from afar -- but when it boils down to it, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be happier moving away from my friends, family, golf buddies, UK Sports...you know, HOME. I'm fairly certain I'd miss the hell out of everything, tbh.

Maybe one day, I suppose.

I’m talking about prime of live here, gang. 60- whenever. Kids will be in college. Some place on the coast where I can get away during the winter. If I break even with the rental income, so be it. It will appreciate in value some.

OR MAYBE COLLEGE TUITION WILL BE A GAZILLION A YEAR BY 2039 AND ILL BE OLD, TIRED AND STILL SCRAPPING ICE OFF MY WINDSHEILD HOPING FOR A COMFORTABLE 5 POINT WIN SUPER TUESDAY SPECIAL BEFORE I GO BACK TO WORK.

-Rich has the plan, your kids time with Grandparents is worth living here and not a coastal town. You can do that when you are young and without strings OR when you retire.

-Weird to start thinking about that stuff but I guess we're not too far off from figuring it out. At least some of you well on the other side of 40. Charleston has my eye the most b/c it's great being near a legit airport and having a city. Downside, I'm not sure it's warm enough in the season's I'd like to spend there and most importantly South Carolinians have an annoying arrogance. It's dancing, not shagging you f*cking dolt. I guess they're much better than what we'd find in f*cking Florida.

-You guys are really missing out on the TDF. Yesterday had a guy taken out by a lawn umbrella at 30 mph and they finished on a 24% gradient gravel road. Peep NBCSports channel in the evening to catch up. Still pretty wide open.

-I feel like the "Anyone live in Covington" thread is not living up to my expectations.

-This match is phenomenal.

One of the best real tennis players is from South Carolina: Camden Riviere.

Camden_Riviere.jpg

...I'll stay in Kentucky

That Spurlock case has a great ID show written all over it. Chick didn't deserve to get offed BUT, if you leave a bar with 3 dudes you don't know then you can't expect a favorable result. And 4 kids by 22, don't think her decision making skills were a strength. Have a feeling kiddo #5 was made that evening.

Then these clowns moving the body to their own house and the pops calling the cops for a smell. Comedy of errors.

It always sounds good in theory when you're on vacation, and I often times envy those that do from afar -- but when it boils down to it, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be happier moving away from my friends, family, golf buddies, UK Sports...you know, HOME. I'm fairly certain I'd miss the hell out of everything, tbh.

Maybe one day, I suppose.

I get it, actually.

Fairdale certainly has that kind of gravitational pull. Or some I’m told.

While proximity to a beach is cool, if you're a professional in your 30s or 40s then Louisville and Lexington are pretty damn nice places to live, really. Sure we don't get high quality entertainment options like major cities and the airport situation can sometimes be a bit of a pain. And there are no cool points to be gotten for living here.

But it is a relaxed, easy place to live if you stick to the suburban parts. Low crime, good cost of living versus reasonable wages, schools are pretty good, traffic ain't that bad comparatively, etc.

It is just hard to beat living in central Kentucky if this is where your family is. There is something to be said for living somewhere that is boring but easy and relaxed.

As someone who has lived all over the Southeast I tend to always gravitate back to Louisville, as I'm in the process of now. It's not my true home and I didn't grow up in KY but a huge portion of my social circle is there which is a high on my list. Knox is aight but it's not my town.

Lived at the beach twice, both times 1 block off the ocean. It's cool and all but if you are employed you don't get to enjoy it as much as you would think. That breeze at night doh:sunglasses:

That Spurlock case has a great ID show written all over it. Chick didn't deserve to get offed BUT, if you leave a bar with 3 dudes you don't know then you can't expect a favorable result. And 4 kids by 22, don't think her decision making skills were a strength. Have a feeling kiddo #5 was made that evening.

The defense should have quite a bit to work with. I'm expecting the story to evolve into she overdosed and they panicked. Drugs are the only reasonable explanation for why she was willing to go all the way to Garrard County in the middle of the night with three guys she'd never met.

And one of those guys is going to roll on the other two for a deal.

Top five Kappa Alpha Order alums:

General George Patton
General George Marshall
J Edgar Hoover
Hal Mumme
Marty Brenneman
WynnDuffy
Jack Mehoff

Reactions: jayroon
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT