ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
We may have been a laughingstock for a majority of his time at UK but *everyone* in the SEC respected the hell out of J-Load.

He was my all-time favorite UK football player, too. #22 was a joy to watch and would always be good to pull off a play that made you shake your head in amazement. Always wish he had more help on the other side of the football (obvs) but that dude was Kentucky Football.

Really bummed out over this one, y'all. Prayers for his family and all impacted by him. Retire his number, Mitch.

RIP, He Ate Me

D-lq3njXYAAfVNM

010929UK-OLEMISSsdp165A.jpg

D-lluc7UYAArQUT

Last edited:
Retire his number, Mitch.

This literally ought to happen as soon as the family wants to do the ceremony. Fly in Mumme and Rich Brooks. (Ron Hudson can continue to go eff himself.) Get Abney in here. Dougie Allen. Artose. The whole gang.

We ought to do this at the first home game this year and take donations for the family at the gate.

Eff Chase Harp. Watched that whole video, knew it was coming, and it still was a gut punch.

Lorenzen deserved better then the defenses we were trotting out those days. Man

Last game as a student at UK. It was mid November and incredibly warm. Had those orange f*ckers beat until we didn’t. Yet again.

Man, what a gut punch this has been as a fan. The Lorenzen years were right at the height of my developing UK fanaticism, my high school years. He is, in many ways, to blame for me being overly optimistic and excited in the moment of games even though my head says "chill out, we're Kentucky." He made special things happen.

I never fully understood the love for The Unforgettables growing up. I knew they were a great team, but so what? They didn't win the championship; how great could they have been? "You had to be there; you had to understand the context; you have to understand the opportunities they passed up to accomplish what they did." In time I've really come to appreciate them, but for years it always seemed overblown, because I didn't get it the same way long-suffering fans did. In many ways Jared embodies the same sentiment for people my age. They didn't win any titles. They didn't break any huge streaks. But he gave hope every game he played, every down he played. He helped us win games we shouldn't have. He helped us scare the crap out of teams we shouldn't have. He was proud to represent Kentucky. He was always confident, but not arrogant. And he was fun as hell to watch. He's one I'll tell my kids about one day, and no matter what I say, or what YouTube clips I dig up, it'll be impossible to really make them grasp just how important and special he was.

It's especially disheartening when, as an outsider looking at him, you knew his weight would be an issue down the road. He could (and probably should) have had weight loss surgery, but turned it down because he didn't want to take any shortcuts; he wanted to earn it. And he was succeeding. It sucks that he didn't get to reap the rewards of that dedication.

This Jared news has hit me much harder than I would have expected. He was a man that made a career of fighting out of tackles and getting away when it made no damned sense that he could, I figured he’d find a way to do it again.

Jared was so special, not only on the field but off of it. His heart was huge and he was so genuine that even the mistakes he made didn’t tarnish who he was but made us embrace him even more. Whether it was throwing an ill advised pick or making a joke that was just a bit off the mark on the radio, the sincerity of the man made up for it. Here stood a real Paul Bunyan that had warts and rather than being ashamed of those imperfections he wanted to show them to you so you could see he was a real person. This show and tell always included self deprecating humor that showed us he was aware of his issues and gave us a glimpse at the battles he fought mentally when he laid down at night.

I’m the same age as Jared, was at UK at the same time, and in a round about way have been around him for nearly 22 years but only recently through a mutual friend got to meet him. We’ve battled a lot of the same demons and I was fortunate enough to get on a first name basis with him in the past year or so. We traded a few messages back and forth about the struggle and how the focus was about family.

And that’s ultimately what chokes me up. He was a Goliath in nearly every sense of the word to the entire world except for two people and to them he was Dad. He was 38 years young and was just figuring life out.

It was a helluva game 22, glad we didn’t miss it.

Addiction is an evil being, no matter what the issue. Whether it is drugs, alcohol, or food, I hate it that he apparently couldn’t overcome it, if for no other reason for his kids. RIP Big Lefty

Last edited:
Reactions: roguemocha
Nothing to add except that he embodied what UK football was all about. Back when we didn't have the same athletes, the same depth, he was out there grinding trying to win games that sometimes just weren't possible, but dammit he was gonna go in hopeful just like we all did as fans, and leave it all out there just like we did too. Getting chased around by four first day draft picks in the backfield, dragging a few of them along for the ride, and then rolling out or flicking the ball ahead to a running back... just improvising and still turning nothing into something. That's Kentucky football in a nutshell, and that's who Lorenzen was.

Drew Franklin tonight said that we were so used to watching him turn a busted play into something positive that even with the news that he was in the hospital fighting for his life, he still expected him to find his way back to make it into something positive. Hurts to know he died in that same struggle, with something very real, trying to grind it out and beat it. His body just ran out of time.

Hank's right, retire the jersey game one or as soon as the family is ready.

Josh Jackson traded to Memphis. I’m a huge Ja Morant fan, and now I will be hoping Jackson turns it around. That dude looked like a monster at KU, what the hell happened to him?

Josh Jackson traded to Memphis. I’m a huge Ja Morant fan, and now I will be hoping Jackson turns it around. That dude looked like a monster at KU, what the hell happened to him?
Well for one he’s batshit crazy and so is his momma. Was recently arrested a couple times most recently for allegedly getting himself and/or his 5 month old daughter high on the wacky tobacky.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ka...12/university-of-kansas/article232264202.html

Good role player. ****in dumb.

Jared was one of us, played like as if a fan got a shot to play... in every game. Wore his heart on his sleeve as a fan until the day he died.

A flawed, beautiful person.

Although I loved Couch, Jared was the show. Fun. Gutsy. Howitzer arm. We were in the stands for brilliant performances and tragic outcomes.

Arkansas
LSU
Florida
Tennessee

Much like his life... brilliance, then brutal crushing ending.

Sucks. This one hurts.

Last edited:
Rack everything.

Jared is pretty much getting the same treatment nationally as when a superstar dies.

Of course, I knew he was that to us, but to see literally every sports person out there across the country chiming in with the same sentiments is really cool.

One of the rare times reading Twitter/Social Media is truly great. RIP

:( Just simply heartbroken. 22 was a legend of Kentucky. Great high school basketball player as well as his football exploits. Got a Super Bowl ring backing up Eli. And he LOVED all things Kentucky Wildcats like no one else.

And the whole weight thing taking him so young hits me extra close. I'm 11 years older, and I've struggled with it my whole life.

Most of all, I hate it for his kids. It's bad enough to lose your Dad, but it's compounded by losing him in a very public way.

RIP J-LO22. Last night I went to the local fireworks show, I had to dust off the #22 jersey and wore it proudly. Ran into a good friend that is a Louisville fan. He hugged me and last night we where all UK fans, but most importantly, a Jared Lorenzen fan. :cry:

Since the trade with the Dodgers when I said it would make this team competitive you and a few others at the time were laughing.

Well, it’s July, they have been without the best hitter from last season and are damn near .500, meanwhile 4 games back in the central where they own the Cubs and seemingly holding their own against the brewers.

And because I’m extra drunk........

Not sure how any Reds fan isn’t happy about this deal. Those prospects were ok, and could easily grow into very solid MLB level talent, but the team in place right now can compete. If the young arms can be average with this type of offense then the Reds have a better shot than people will give them to be in the thick of the postseason.

They owed this to Votto, but they can’t just end up letting these guys walk

“The team in place right now can compete.”

67-95 (.414). -28.5.

[thumb2][thumb2]

That’s where all this started between you and I, and it’s a shame BBdK and Bristol had to step up to take the bet Mr W2 was too scared to take.

Pussy AB

Just several 1st picks and our best prospects. Typical Reds getting raped while having bargaining power.

Puig is perfect for Cincinnati. A player who people think is better than he actually is in a city that people think is better than it actually is. Perfection.

At least Anth has it in him to change his tune and enjoy a decent ball club that has a fighters chance.

Rack everything.

Jared is pretty much getting the same treatment nationally as when a superstar dies.

Of course, I knew he was that to us, but to see literally every sports person out there across the country chiming in with the same sentiments is really cool.

One of the rare times reading Twitter/Social Media is truly great. RIP

Rack.

Dude's passing is currently the lead story on ESPN.com:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...how-jared-lorenzen-inspired-many-including-me

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT