ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jones was huge overall obviously, helped us win a title, did a lot of stuff that didn't show up in the box (although he pretty much stuffed that, too) -- but I feel like people may have a little selective memory with him. I don't recall a whole lot of OMG I LOVE JONES around here.

Reactions: TheShowKiller
Not sure how he does it, but Tucker seems to have a monopoly on getting the inside stuff from the parents of our players & recruits:

’Faly Dante, a 6-foot-11, 250-pound center from the Republic of Mali in West Africa who lives with a host family in Wichita, Kansas, began an official visit to Kentucky on Thursday night. He’s ranked the No. 11 overall prospect in the Class of 2020 by the 247Sports Composite, but he is seriously considering a move to 2019. The Wildcats will try to sell him on that and another move: to Lexington. On the eve of their visit, A.J. Doyle, one of Dante’s guardians here, said the reclassification decision is still up in the air, but he has legitimate interest in UK.

“It’s an extraordinary program,” she said, and lead recruiter Kenny Payne is “an extraordinary coach, very well respected in the world of college basketball. It’s been fun to get to know him a little bit and hear about him as a person and his desire to see young men reach their full potential.”

Payne’s reputation, particularly in developing post players, gives Kentucky a fighting chance against some formidable competition to land Dante. He has already taken official visits to LSU, Oregon and Iowa State. Michigan State is also in the mix, but his guardian said there are no solid plans for any more visits after the trip to Lexington. Most recruiting insiders expect him to pick the Tigers or Ducks, but the Wildcats are making a late push to steal him. There’s little doubt they’re selling Payne’s work with big men such as Anthony Davis, Karl-Anthony Towns, Willie Cauley-Stein and PJ Washington, all NBA lottery picks.

Dante plays on the Nike grassroots circuit with Mokan Elite, Cauley-Stein’s old team, and that bodes well for the Wildcats. Mokan team director Matt Suther can’t stop singing Payne’s praises after watching Cauley-Stein transform from the 47th-ranked high school player to the No. 6 overall pick after three seasons working with UK’s post whisperer.

“We’ve had guys go all over and our experience with Kentucky and Willie was great, and because of it, there’s a trust level there and a relationship there. Kenny did an unbelievable job with Willie, and I believe if Dante goes there, the same thing would happen for him,” Suther said. “Kenny is a different guy. Anything he says, in my experience, you can believe to be true. He’s not one of these guys who is just going to say what people want to hear or overpromise and underdeliver. He’s the opposite: He’s going to underpromise and overdeliver, and because of it, people recognize real from fake and Kenny has built a career on backing up what he says. He has a lot of people who look at him as family and look at him as one of the realest guys in college basketball.”

And here’s what is real about Kentucky’s frontcourt situation: there’s sophomore EJ Montgomery (4.1 points per game last season), junior Nick Richards (3.3 points per game last season), Bucknell graduate transfer Nate Sestina, who wore a protective boot all spring for an undisclosed foot injury and has played only handful of games in his career against high-major competition … and that’s it. That’s the frontcourt as it stands today. Not much in the way of proven production — although Richards and Montgomery are former McDonald’s All-Americans with plenty of potential — and even less in the depth department. So the Wildcats can certainly sell Dante on opportunity and the idea that he might be the missing piece for a national title contender.

But what would he bring to the table? Elite length, for starters. His 7-foot-5 ½-inch wingspan and 9-5 standing reach both would’ve ranked third at this year’s NBA Combine (behind only metric-busting Tacko Fall and Bol Bol). He’ll rebound and protect the rim if nothing else. Dante is averaging 14.5 points, 8.9 rebounds and 2.3 blocks in 13 games on the Nike circuit this spring and summer, shooting 76 percent from the field on mostly point-blank attempts. He hasn’t taken a single 3-pointer.

“He’s kind of an old-school, traditional big,” Suther said. “He’s a very agile, very athletic big who has good instincts and changes direction really good. And he has definitely not seen his best days as a basketball player. He’s only going to continue to grow and improve his skills. We’re talking about a truly awesome kid. We’ve seen a bunch of kids come from overseas in the past 15 years and have to adjust to a different way of life and all the things that go with being in the U.S., and he’s done that maybe the best I’ve ever seen. He’s acclimated really quickly, learned the language, learned the culture. As a result, it’s allowed him to flourish.”

Dante has lived with Doyle and her husband for about four years now, one of several teenagers who’ve come through their home on the way to a better life. Dante is best buds with the Doyles’ 4-month-old son.

“We’re like his American family,” A.J. said. “We have a real heart for helping kids who need chances for new opportunities and we felt like we could use what we’ve been given to open our home and help make that possible. N’Faly is an extraordinary kid and it is such a privilege to have him be part of our family. He’s very bright and very caring and very eager to learn and grow. With his recruitment, we’re just along for the ride to help him ask questions and get the right information. He wants to know more about the program, about the people who make up the program and the school academically as well. He wants to understand what it would be like for him as a student and as an athlete at Kentucky.”

Dante already has some idea, because he’s done his homework. Mokan Elite counts among its alumni more than 60 Division I players and six NBA draft picks, including Cauley-Stein, Trae Young and Michael Porter Jr., so the program educates its players on the process.

“He’s very aware of college basketball and the traditions and the success of Kentucky in particular,” Suther said. “He’s very aware of how special a program that is. I think they’re absolutely a legit contender for him, because I don’t think he is going to make a circus of this and go look at 20 schools. The fact he’s there now and taking the time to make that visit definitely means Kentucky is a contender.”

Evan Daniels, director of recruiting for 247Sports, clearly agrees. He tweeted this Wednesday about Dante: “If he goes to college, the Wildcats would be in great shape.” It wouldn’t be a total stunner if Dante decides to pursue a professional career overseas straight out of high school. Barring that, however, the Cats’ own pipeline to the pros could have major appeal.

“It’s clear Kentucky has a relationship here that they’ve been building for quite some time,” Daniels explained Friday. “I think they’re in there pretty good with him, and there’s not a lot of schools that are. They could use another post player, not only for depth but another guy who can really play, and he can certainly do that. There’s a lot of value there. He’s good enough to play college basketball this season for sure, no question.”

Whether he will play college basketball this season, however, is the question.

“It’s still up in the air,” Suther said. “Any time with a kid who has English as his second language, he’s had to work his butt off academically. That’s not an easy thing to do. So they’re still trying to push through all of those requirements and make sure they make the best decision for him. It’s as much an academic question as it is athletic, because obviously he has the talent to play right now. They have to make sure the I’s are dotted and the T’s are crossed, so it’s all still up in the air because of that.”

Should he move to 2019 and pick Kentucky, the Wildcats would leapfrog Memphis for the No. 1 recruiting class in the country. More importantly, the only remaining concern on an otherwise loaded roster would be addressed. John Calipari’s team would be two-deep at every position. The last time that happened, he almost ran the table.

https://theathletic.com/1053050/201...re-hoping-he-makes-the-move-to-lexington-too/

Jones was huge overall obviously, helped us win a title, did a lot of stuff that didn't show up in the box (although he pretty much stuffed that, too) -- but I feel like people may have a little selective memory with him. I don't recall a whole lot of OMG I LOVE JONES around here.

Sure. And there was def belly aching, esp Midway through that 2011 year. But man, after seeing these guys we've had the last 4 years... Absence def makes the heart grow fonder.

Reactions: B.B.d.K.
Wow, Chad. Not sure where that came from, but here are some summertime randoms for you, birthday boy...

-That stat I've heard is that for every hour you lose/gain when traveling across time zones, it takes that many days to completely get back to normal. Makes sense that today is the first day I feel like I'm back in the saddle. Next vacation is staying in the Eastern Time Zone.

-Something I never quite got the hang of as a kid...breaking in my baseball glove. Other kids and their dads went through processes, either elaborate or simple, to get the thing to their liking. My dad wasn't into sports(still isn't) and probably never governed a glove, so I was basically left to figuring it out for myself. Tried for a few years and then realized that it wasn't worth the trouble, so I just relied on my own hand-eye coordination and superior athleticism instead of glove hacks.

-This is the time of the year when buddies start talking about all the different "summer beers" they enjoy, and I awkwardly try to switch the convo to Disney World or something.

-It was nice when the Indians were the clear bully of their division and winning titles, being mentioned for WS titles(don't even start, Clark), etc., but that window of division dominance is clearly closed. Instead, it's been fun to watch them scrap with four established position players, a bunch of youngsters, and a band-aid for a pitching staff. For that lineup to be eight games over .500 has been impressive. Just snag that wild card, that's all I'm asking.

-I used to watch "90 Day Fiance" until they just started recycling all the same couples over and over, so now all my white trash bandwidth is focused on "Big Brother".

-Kids' track meets>>>>>>kids' swim meets. And it's not even close. Glad they're both over for the season, so I can get back to what I do best in the summer....having a terrible yard and posting long lists of randoms that no one will read all the way through.

-That stat I've heard is that for every hour you lose/gain when traveling across time zones, it takes that many days to completely get back to normal. Makes sense that today is the first day I feel like I'm back in the saddle. Next vacation is staying in the Eastern Time Zone.

Oh good grief Llama- take some melatonin, get a few hours of sleep- wake up and get on with it. You went a few states over, not to Mars.

Little know factoid, Seneca had a PGA event back in the 50's. The Ky Derby Open, Gary Player got his first W there. Billy Casper also grabbed a W there.

latest

Seems to me France has controlled everything but the scoreboard in this match.

Lass is in a group text (including Mrs. Boat) in which they are all collectively losing it over the Vanderpump people being in town. Apparently they filmed at Belle’s on the rooftop last night.

Last edited:
Lass is in a group text (including Mrs. Boat) in which they are all collectively losing their shit over the Vanderpump people being in town. Apparently they filmed at Belle’s on the rooftop last night.

I guess a few of the girls aren’t too hard on the eyes, but we’re not talking early-Instagram Kindly or anything here.

The girls on that show are all way past their prime. Ariana is legit and that’s about it.

I remember UK fans wanting to murder him during and after the IU game.

Reactions: bbonds
Lass is in a group text (including Mrs. Boat) in which they are all collectively losing their shit over the Vanderpump people being in town. Apparently they filmed at Belle’s on the rooftop last night.

I guess a few of the girls aren’t too hard on the eyes, but we’re not talking early-Instagram Kindly or anything here.

Yeah, the wife hates TNL but was tempted to go and gawk. She’s been sending me pics of them at belle’s all day.

I mean, it’s lost on me, but I can appreciate the fandom.

Bout to be off a week and there’s a boat with my name on it. Holla if you down LCK way.

:americanflag:

Reactions: roguemocha
Gotta swim meets (summer) >>> track meets don’t at me, KL.

Pool chairs > bleachers

Beer sales > no beer sales

Reactions: CSC81
I dont like anyone in the moment. It isnt until after I see what they can ultimately do for me that I make up my mind about someone. This isnt limited to athletic teams/players.

Fair
I would say revisionist history after seeing the cast of characters that have lost to Bruce Pearl, Bruce Weber, and Tom Crean that the hatred Jones got was vastly undeserved. All I'm saying. And I'm sure I was guilty of some.

No one got more vitrol in 2011 then Darius in the Ole Miss game that we lost in OT.

Nothing like drawing the Cubs when the Reds need a slump buster.

Christ!

Scooter!!!

God bless america....I’m stuck watching the lass geek over the vanderpump fools. And this, on gay pride weekend/Latino night.

Reactions: CSC81
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT