ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
-I used to feel the same way about getting high before workouts, then I started trying it at home for workouts and liked it after hearing a lot of people talk it up. Now when I go early (before 8am I like to take a couple hits).

-I WATCH Joe Rogan podcast while doing cardio, thank you. Weights, I’m on a Modest Mouse kick right now.

Vecenie on our draft picks next year:

9. Tyrese Maxey

6-3 guard, South Garland High School (Garland, TX). Committed to Kentucky

I’m just a big-time believer in Maxey’s scoring ability and instincts. He’s a terrific shot-creator because of his handle. He sets guys up, then can change direction to get by. He possesses a bevy of counter moves if you try to take something away from him. Technically, he’s very sound. Then as a finisher, Maxey has really developed a high-level floater package in addition to a variety of different flourishes he can use to finish directly at the basket. But for me, the big key is his jumper. I think, in time, Maxey is going to be an absolutely elite level shooter. It has a bit of a low release point, but he has terrific range on it and gets excellent natural extension on his jumper.

It’s worth noting that Maxey is more of a combo guard than a true lead guard. He’s not an amazing distributor. Playing him next to Ashton Hagans next year is going to really help him, as he’ll be allowed free rein to be able to just go get buckets. For Kentucky fans looking for a comparison, he’s something of a cross between Malik Monk and Jamal Murray. He’s not the natural, powerful athlete Monk was, but he has more skill and tricks up his sleeve in the way that Murray did. However, unlike Murray, he’s not necessarily a guy you want running your offense for more than small spurts. In all of his stops on the exhibition circuit, he played more at the 2 than the 1. Still, I expect him to be Kentucky’s leading scorer next year on a team that I think has a chance to win an awful lot of games.

15. Kahlil Whitney

6-7 wing, Roselle Catholic (Roselle, NJ). Committed to Kentucky

Not many guys in this class can boast the terrific frame that Whitney has, with wiry strong length mixed with maintained athleticism and coordination for his 6-7 size. He’s also a terrific athlete with good explosiveness who plays with a motor. But while he does consistently play hard, and that shows up on the defensive end, the big question with Whitney is when the light bulb comes on in terms of the proper type of aggressiveness. Sure, he does need to improve his handle a bit, and I think that sometimes slows him down. And the jump shot, while workable, is still inconsistent. But more than that, I’d like to see Whitney take the game on his shoulders more often at Kentucky next year. With a summer of player development, he has the type of ability to average 15 points and six rebounds as a freshman.

Reactions: jayroon
- Aside from a couple of days, April has flexed its weather muscles all over Kentucky. Which means it will be 50 and raining on Derby Day.

- Speaking of, what's the word out on the backstretch. Doesn't stuff usually fire up this week. Who are the buzz horses? What's the talk? You Louisville peeps need to do your due diligence and let the commoners know.

- I thought everyone quit bragging about smoking weed when they graduated college and developed real responsibilities. Guess not.

- I once ate 25 fried, breaded chicken wings from a Shoney's. It was a dark time.

- It's official. I can't dunk anymore, and I never will again. Not even close. My days of even grabbing the rim are numbered. Made it 41 years. It was a good run.

- Here's a theory (probably wrong) about the state of basketball. We are about one generation removed from it being a glorified club sport on every level. Will happen in high school first (is already occurring many places), including Kentucky. Organizations like the KHSAA and NCAA are up against it.

Call me crazy but I don’t really ever need or even use and straw to drink things. I take a yeti 20oz everywhere and just have that thing filled up. Maybe with a frozen drink or mojito something but I can drink a vodka and water without a straw relatively easily.

That’s being said, paper straws are awful. Metal, bamboo etc FTW.

-FYI, I also love Maxey. Dude is going to be a stud.

-7 Juniors(3 top 30) and 5 Seniors(2 top 30) in SI's top 50 for 2019. Only 1 upperclassman projected anywhere near the the lottery(Rui).

- Speaking of, what's the word out on the backstretch. Doesn't stuff usually fire up this week. Who are the buzz horses? What's the talk? You Louisville peeps need to do your due diligence and let the commoners know.

DERBY
Gun-to-head: Omaha Beach
Other contenders: Game Winner, Roadster, Improbable and Tacitus

Horses to use in exotics: Win, Win, Win, War of Will, Plus Que Parfait and Cutting Humor

OAKS
Bellafina
Other contenders: Champagne Anyone and Jaywalk

Horses to use in exotics: Chocolate Kisses, Cookie Dough, Serengeti Empress and Motion Emotion (who has Mike Smith riding at big price)

Derby Double:
Bellafina, Motion Emotion, Serengeti Empress / Omaha Beach, Game Winner, Win, Win, Win, War of Will

But this prep season has been so wild, I'm still not solid on anything other than all-in on Bellafina for Oaks.

Bet accordingly.

Also: You don't have to take my word for it--and if I'm wrong, so be it--but if there ever was a horse not worthy of the Derby it's Master Fencer.

He's a Japanese-bred horse (first ever to run in the Derby) that could barely compete with weak competition in the Japan Road to the Kentucky Derby. The top 3 horses in that "road" didn't even get nominated. He'll be so over-bet by Japanese money that he will probably be 50-1 when he should be 99/1.

Go ahead and note this post down for @oldtakesexposed

Also: You don't have to take my word for it--and if I'm wrong, so be it--but if there ever was a horse not worthy of the Derby it's Master Fencer.

He's a Japanese-bred horse (first ever to run in the Derby) that could barely compete with weak competition in the Japan Road to the Kentucky Derby. The top 3 horses in that "road" didn't even get nominated. He'll be so over-bet by Japanese money that he will probably be 50-1 when he should be 99/1.

Go ahead and note this post down for @oldtakesexposed

[jots down "Master Fencer" for a crazy-ass exotic].

Reactions: MattsCats
Will do a non studied superfecta, like every year, to try and win some major cash.
#ftwinplaceandshow

kentucky-derby-payouts-2017.jpg

Reactions: rudd1
With the Cubs playing LA, Milwaukee and STL besting each other up and Pittsburgh playing Arizona I really thought the Reds has a shot to get a game or 2 back this week.

Then I saw they play ATL and figured they’d get swept.

Nice to see Puig finally show up.

In my 35 years of living I don’t know if I’ve ever read an article about the outcome of a game. If I give that much of a shit about the game then I just watch it. Otherwise just check the box score and move on. Either way, I don’t want to read one of these self-righteous dorks’ opinion on it.

The fact that sports ADs give free buffets to sportswriters might mean that the ADs just want them to get diabetes and lose their fingers.

Remember that old show The Sports Writers where they just had a handful of guys smoking and drinking in a black room? Think those guys ever worried about a deadline?

Last edited:
Reactions: BigBadBlueDaddy
I wish we had a commemorative photo or piece of art of the press box from the SuperBowl where the Bills field goal went wide or the Mardi Gras Miracle. It would rival the flag raising on Iwo Jima, Washington crossing the Delaware, or the black schoolgirl braving the racists at Little Rock in the pantheon of American heroism.

Sports writers (and most journalists) used to be relatively blue collar tradesmen who apprenticed and worked their way up the ladder and learned the job from seasoned pros.

Now, guys go to college for 6 years and believe their job to be on par with a professional academic.

Dame Lillard is such a baller. From All Star snubs to 1st Team All NBA. That dagger for 50, game, and series was :fire: I mean, that was a regular pull up from a few feet inside half court. :joy:

This next round of games is going to be pretty awesome. The NBA Playoffs are dope, not even the same sport really.

-With apologies to my boy Maxey, Juzang is instantly my favorite player if we get that dude. Pure shooting wings are my basketball nirvana.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT