ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gets said every time this happens, but Depression is no joke man - - you just never know what someone is dealing with inside.

Interesting podcast on suicides. As to how it relates to Bourdain, they have professors talking about the influence effect of others taking their life (e.g., Kate Spade) on increased rates of suicide. Further, they discuss how some suicides are relatively spur-of-the-moment, so not a long-term depression situation, but much more acute. Kind of scary.

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/new-freakonomics-radio-podcast-the-suicide-paradox/

-This place is weird these days.

-Good time to read Kitchen Confidential. Excellent read. On TV Bourdain was pompous but strangely in a way that made you want to have a beer with him. Can't think of anyone else like that. What a cool guy.

-Bring on the damn heat. I love it. Hope the HI gets to like 150.

-Yard is sodded, huge flagstone being laid, fresh mulch. :sunglasses: Nothing in the entire process of the renovation has caused more anxiety than having a mud pit for a yard.

-Richmond Rd is losing it's mind over the Skyline and LaRossas pop ups. Cops every where, cars lined the streets, fats walking in the blistering heat to eat disgusting chili.

Would you rather have people think you died of suicide or find out you died from auto-erotic asphyxiation? Feel like David Carradine should’ve left a note that just says “If you find me dead please tell everyone I killed myself. Also, please pull up my pants. TIA”

Doesn’t it kind of change your afterlife experience? I’m no religious ball, but isn’t suicide a one way ticket to hell?

I mean, autoerotic asphyxiation is more of an accident...oops went a little too far and now I’m dead.

If it makes you feel better Brax the undefeated Angels went down in the championship game last night.

Some of them would be worth lice. AIDS even.

If I'm dead, I don't care what people think of the way I died. Because, you know, I'm dead.

Cant imagine leaving my kids in that situation. I'd have to gut it out until they're grown so they know it wasn't their fault and possibly my wifes.

Millenials man...

Was trying to explain how to do a spinal tap to a student. Showing them what to aim for, said “aim small miss small, like Mel Gibson.”

Blank stare.

You know from the movie the Patriot?

Blank stare.

Alright, just watch and learn.

Millenials man...

Was trying to explain how to do a spinal tap to a student. Showing them what to aim for, said “aim small miss small, like Mel Gibson.”

Blank stare.

You know from the movie the Patriot?

Blank stare.

Alright, just watch and learn.

Your student was 6 when that movie came out.

Never heard of Mel Gibson? Come on.

And the Patriot has been on tv all the time in the last 18 years.

I could pick another movie as a cultural touchstone if they said “aim small miss small” which was the point of the reference.

Anybody?

EvergreenDecentDogfish-size_restricted.gif

Suicide and drug addiction deaths are just absolute mindtouchs for everyone to deal with. Empathetically, you recoil at the darkness that would lead to someone doing that to themselves. That goes triple when it is someone like Bourdain who seemed to be about as level-headed and cool as it gets.

Objectively, what an absolute piece of shit to put his 11 year old daughter through that. Not to mention everyone else.

I think we will all look back in a few decades on giving people whatever drugs we are giving for depression and anxiety with the same sort of horror that we quite rightly regard slavery and the Holocaust.

Reactions: Col. Angus
I would say we would look at it the same way we view lobotomies now, you know, an outdated medical procedure. You lost me on the holocaust comp.

I haven't, nor do I ever plan on seeing, the patriot. Good lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT