ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
going to Seattle on business in 2 weeks
first trip there ever
any advice?

Probably be cold and rainy, but any chance for outdoor stuff? That's my favorite part of Seattle. Fishing, hiking, etc. From a restaurant pov, fresh salmon and a lot of the ethnic places are money.

I"ll have two evenings to check out the city and 1/2 a day at the end to myself - so I can see local stuff but probably nothing "too" outdoors--ish

I never really paid attention to the coastline up there -- it looks like there are all kinds of islands and inlets and it's be an amazing place to hike/camp

Anyone from northern Ky can confirm that Xavier was one of those teams that pushed for a home/home series with UK?
I can't remember the last time we played them.....I've heard at least two people say they think that would be an interesting "Rival" for UK

I don't understand that

Not sure what UK gets from a home and home, given their nature is to go play some arranged tourney, in a dome, for big bucks in a major city. Cincy is so close, if they have a player from there, momma and daddy can drive down. Not a recruiting hot bed. Not a lot of upside to playing this game.

Reactions: CastleRubric
UC used to say the same crap in the 90s. How they were “willing” to do a home and home with UK, it’d be a good rivalry, it made sense, UK wasn’t “willing” to do it, etc.

Tony Yates stall ball game aside there’s no upside to that series whether it’s UC then or XU now. You mean a school is willing to host UK in exchange for a high profile road game?!?!?! No shit?!?!?

You’ll start hearing the same crap from NKU now as well btw. My apologies in advance.

going to Seattle on business in 2 weeks
first trip there ever
any advice?

Little Vietnamese place on Roy Street (a few blocks down from the Space Needle) called Pho Viet Anh. Best Pho I've had.

The EMP/Museum of Pop Culture is also right by the Space Needle. A musicball like you would really dig it. Lots of Hendricks memorabilia and cool exhibits.

Reactions: CastleRubric
The EMP/Museum of Pop Culture is also right by the Space Needle. A musicball like you would really dig it. Lots of Hendricks memorabilia and cool exhibits.

Second for Museum of Pop Culture. Also the Chihuly Garden is very cool. You can do a buy 2 for a discounted price between that and the space needle, which, btw, is something you want to do once. Worth the 45 minutes and $25 or so.

-Was way out in front on "Greatest Showman". Those songs stick with you, man.

-Always assumed that J.J. Redick would be my most hated non-Laettner Dukie ever, but I actually grew to like the guy since he's been in The League. Austin Rivers, though....I've got nothing for that chump.

-Office is technically closed due to weather, but I came in anyway. Amazing how much stuff you can get done when nobody else is around.

-Domers getting Farrell back makes me think they take UL tonight, even without Bonzie. Will still be smarting from that UNC loss, and I'd say the Cards are feeling pretty good about themselves after their recent run. Too good.

-Speaking of UL, Padgett's done a nice enough job that I could see him being in line for a Power 5 position out west after the season's over(assuming UL goes after a bigger name). With a year at UL under his belt, maybe he replaces Ernie Kent(LOL) at Washington State, something along those lines. Having Trent Johnson on the bench has been a huge asset.

Money to be made on KU tonight.
If anyone wants to grab a beer tonight, hit me up, i have some bitcoin to spare.

The Greatest Showman was good but not great like La La Land.

Hit up Tony's for the second time,still the best steak in Lexington.

Cats 73 Cocks 70

Reactions: drxman1
CBB Randos

-I'm higher on Kansas than most, and have been all year, just b/c they have veteran guards & shooters all over the floor. They've now won 7 straight true road games vs. Top 10 teams, which is really an incredible stat, especially in this era of college basketball. They have weaknesses like anyone else, but I like their strengths more than most.

-Gary Trent Jr's jumper is niiiiice.

Midseason Non-UK BBdK Team, just dudes I love: (non Trae Young edition, I obviously worship & he's in his own category)

1st Team:

Donte DeVincenzo (The Big Ragu!)
Trevon Bluiett
Kevin Huerter
Mikal Bridges
DJ Hogg

2nd Team:

Tra Holder
Keenan Evans
Desi Rodriguez
Brady Manek (sweetest release in the country, not bad when you play alongside Trae Young)
Yante Maten

-Lines have been smaller this year than I can ever remember across the country, but particularly with our squad. We were -2 vs Vandy, and are just -2 vs SC tonight, a team that virtually lost everyone. Guess they're right, b/c it seems every game is in the balance late no matter who we play.

-If Vanderbilt is ready to play, he needs to play. It's going to take a good while for him to get in shape and up to speed, I don't think waiting til we're at home (vs Florida, no less) accomplishes anything. Anth keeps harping back to that Cal quote, while ignoring the fact that he's clearly "overruled" it multiple times since. Step up kid, your team needs you.

-How big would a healthy Baker be on this team right now? On one side, Cal never plays the shooters unless he's forced...but he would have been forced this season given how limited we are at guard, and now with Green out. Damn.

-Nice to have the SEC respectable for the first time in forever. Still seeing as many as 8 teams predicted for the dance, and conference is #2 or #3 all year depending on the metric. #coaching

Last edited:
Hendrix grave is in Renton, not a far drive from downtown Seattle. Worth going to see.

I'll second going to the Pop Museum by the Space Needle.

-I don't respect Kansas Basketball. They claim like 6 titles. Bull****ingShit. They have 3 NCAA Titles. Falsifying number of titles is ridiculous and embarrassing.

-No one here has any idea of Vanderbilt's injury or status, Cal has been Billy Gillispie-ish about every injury since he's been here, he recently said he wanted him to start at home game, and literally the next road game everyone freaks out about him not playing. Cal's literally said that exact same shit, "I don't know, I haven't even seen them/doctor/trainer" about every injury including Quade Green the same day. I get why you may be frustrated with Cal's nonsense. If you all want to get all bent out of shape about it, go for it but I can't remember one time that Cal has thrown a guy under the bus, even when he's had some real knuckleheads. Regardless, I think it's really really shitty to criticize or question an 18 year old, who's future earnings depend on his health, regarding an injury. This whole notion he's refusing to play is asinine. Reminder -> Everyone in here ROASTED Coach K for playing Giles last year. Roasted.

I know it's Matt's job to give an opinion but I wish he would've kept this one to himself because our fan base isn't capable of handling responsibly. Not really his fault but people going after this kid can GTFO as far as I'm concerned.

Also, if you've ever had back issues you can't just pop a couple muscle relaxers and play through it. That shit can linger for months. Jesus, dude.

-We're really young, and if you came into this season with high expectations I'm sorry you can't enjoy watching a few of these guys develop.

-Now this is winter weather I can get behind. Substantial snow, easy to shovel, roads clear of dumbasses for the most part, beautiful outside. Still coming down like crazy.

I couldn't care less about Vanderbilt's future, I want to win ballgames. (how Anth reads anyone annoyed with Cal's completely unnecessary flip flopping quotes)

For the most part, nobody has said a word about Vanderbilt all season until Cal started running his mouth lately and making little jabs at him through the media. If you want to be pissy with someone, it should be him - but we know what could never happen.

-What is the best kind of sled these days?

Last edited:
Thanks for the seattle feedback - up until recently all I knew about the place was : rock bands, Fraser crane, space needle, 1984 final Four trauma...and Shawn kemp... And high suicide rates

I"ll have two evenings to check out the city and 1/2 a day at the end to myself - so I can see local stuff but probably nothing "too" outdoors--ish
Just moved back to Colorado after living in Seattle for two years. Awesome city, but believe everything you hear about the weather ---> it's awful. This time of year, expect really short days. It'll be completely dark by 4:00p. Here are a few recs:

Food (Don't eat downtown, take an Uber out to the neighborhoods like Ballard, Fremont, Cap Hill, etc.)
  • Miller's Guild (Downtown) - Steaks and burgers cooked on an open, wood-fire, steel grill.
  • Pintxo (Belltown) - Authentic Spanish tapas (probably was my favorite when I lived there).
  • Bastille (Ballard) - Good French restaurant.
  • Pestil Rock (Ballard) - Thai food from the northern region of the country.
  • Monsoon (Cap Hill) - Vietnamese
  • Westward (North Lake Union) - Waterfront views looking south at the city. Do this if (and it's a big if) it's not raining.
  • Din Tai Fung (U-District) - Soup dumplings and wantons (expect a really long wait since they don't take reservations, but totally worth it)
To-Do
  • Space Needle and EMP (within a couple blocks of each other)
  • Pike Place Market (good for about a 15min walk, then leave)
  • Boeing Museum of Flight (will take up a few hours, but worth it if you're into that kind of thing)
  • WS Ferry from Seattle to Bainbridge Island (iconic trip across Elliott Bay) or Bremerton (you'll pull in right next to Naval Base Kitsap where I believe the USS Stennis is currently docked)

Shew wee three solid days of sled riding for dad and kids. Nice lil hike up to the local park/amphitheater (#smug) and then about 2-3 hours of runs. Some of the big kids had set up the traditional ramp and it was fun watching people wipe out on that. Exhausting though. Kids slept well for sure. Not much more fun than sled riding with your kids like a family of maniacs.

Haven't seen it discussed in here, maybe because it wasn't widely reported, but Jim Gatto's legal team filed a motion to dismiss the wire fraud indictment involving University 6 shortly before Christmas.

Here's an excerpt, which pretty much summarizes their argument:

"Here, the Indictment specifically alleges that the Universities' employees supported Defendants' actions. The fact that the basketball coaches at both Louisville and Miami asked Defendants to provide funds to the families of the prospective recruits negates the Indictment's theory that Defendants agreed to participate in a scheme to defraud those Universities."​

Basically, the Defendant's are arguing the coaches at Louisville and Miami encouraged and helped faciltiate the payments ---> and therefore, cannot possible be "victims" under the wire fraud statute.

"The fact that the coaches asked Defendants to help via means that could, if uncovered, lead to potential negative consequences with the NCAA does not change the fact that, according to the Indictment's own allegations, Defendants sought to help, not harm, Louisville and Miami."
This is the gift that is sure to keep giving...[cheers]

:popcorn:

Last edited:
I mean, that’s not a bad defense. The issue with the case will always be who was defrauded. I think the answer will be that someone in the chain at adidas or the schools lied about the transaction to the source/recipient but in terms of defending the criminal case “look, everyone was in on it” is a good defense.

I mean it kinda screws U6 with the NCAA but the people looking at federal Time don’t care about that.

Best sled is an inner tube.

Hoping to set up the ramp outside of my front door again when I get home. There may be just enough snow I can pile up from other areas to get the job done.

The Cal/Vando situation boils down to this for me: Cal protected Diallo last year when he was going through workouts and prepping for the draft. Cal doesn't *seem* to be as protective of Vanderbilt. Cal is consistent (so far) concerning his guys if he's anything. To see him handle this situation like this is a little unexpected. That's why fans are reacting, I think.

KU can't be trusted. Their backcourt is solid and experienced, but there seems to be some questionable character guy's on that roster. That usually surfaces.

Snow days are ok I guess, but talk about a scheduling cluster . . . it's also hard to refocus the guys at this time of year, especially now that we had settled into a routine.

Xbox is fun. Haven't played in over a decade. "Kids" got one for Christmas. Forgot how much fun Franchise Mode can be in Madden.

Side note: if I can get the Browns to the playoffs as owner/GM in year 2, how hard can that job actually be? I may consult Llama's sports consultant agency to get my foot in the front office door.

Reactions: BigBadBlueDaddy
Someone also needs to teach college basketball coaches how to utilize the 2 for 1. It's asinine how little that is used in cbb.

These kids (mostly) aren't idiots, and it isn't a tough concept. If I can learn it in middle school from Hubie Brown on TNT, I'm pretty sure college basketball players can handle it.

Anyone from northern Ky can confirm that Xavier was one of those teams that pushed for a home/home series with UK?
I can't remember the last time we played them.....I've heard at least two people say they think that would be an interesting "Rival" for UK

I'm sure some fans think it, but I've never gotten the impression anyone thinks UK is, or should be a "rival." The last time the two played was 1968. The last time UK lost in the series was 1941 (and they played a lot, used to be twice a year, per every time we look up stats about playing No. 1 teams... most instances were UK). I think they'd aim at Ohio State first.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they'd love a home-and-home, but considering the current big non-UC ones are Baylor, Colorado and Northern Iowa, I'd say there are pretty realistic expectations about that happening.

I think the primary concerns are not getting screwed over (again) when the Big 10/ Big East thing gets scheduled.

Reactions: Hankshaker
Think they should focus on learning a Final Possession before they get all fancy w/ a 2 for 1. It's simply amazing to watch coaches come out of a timeout and let their team go 1-4, for a fadeaway 25 footer.

If you truly think that play is your best option to score, then why isn't that the system you run the other 39.9 minutes of every game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT