ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bret Bielema went 29-34 (11-29 in the SEC) in 5 years at Arkansas and was fired coming off the field in his final game. Stoops has gone 26-35 (12-28) in 5 years and just received an automatic contract extension and has one of the highest buyouts in college football.

Bielema had a much better starting point so the comparison is not exactly equal, but Barnhart needs his Ned Flanders' balls held to the fire on why exactly he has been bidding against himself with university dollars to keep re-upping Stoops.

I don't blame Stoops for taking free money.

There is certainly a weird disconnect between Stoops and the fanbase given his relative success...and I think it's unfair to completely blame the fans.
You can see the ceiling with him. I think that’s a big problem. In a good year he can get you seven wins, but he has a number of glaring issues that will keep us from getting beyond that. Can’t manage a clock, his sidelines turn into a train wreck at bad moments, thin-skinned, depressingly conservative on defense, undisciplined players, etc. I can’t get over how bad we are defensively after five years, in particular. And it shows no signs of getting better because I think his philosophy is the problem.

You can see the ceiling with him. I think that’s a big problem. In a good year he can get you seven wins, but he has a number of glaring issues that will keep us from getting beyond that. Can’t manage a clock, his sidelines turn into a train wreck at bad moments, thin-skinned, depressingly conservative on defense, undisciplined players, etc. I can’t get over how bad we are defensively after five years, in particular. And it shows no signs of getting better because I think his philosophy is the problem.
Pretty much. The defense is the major red flag. Sans an elite college kicker and cold blooded JC QB transfer the Stoops era could look a lot less passable.

I mean, using a trash can as a weapon in a football game is hilarious on one hand. On the other, it's a pretty blatant sign that not one kid on that team fears any kind of repercussions for bad behavior/play. Probably explains why a lot of our guys regress. They ball out on natural talent (or buying in initially and busting their ass), get a little shine, then rest on 3-4 games of good play and none of the coaches yank their chain and tell them to get back to work

If we had Leach, probably 20 guys are sleeping in an electrical closet through Monday night.

I'm not sure there's a more infuriating player than an unruly, unchecked bitch running their mouth and getting lit up like Jordan Jones today.

Reactions: Hankshaker
* Mitch is much more tolerant of a 27 point loss than he is a bunch of personal fouls.

* Among UK football coaches in the modern era, Stoops is the best recruiting coach we've had and the worst schematic coach we've had. Joker was awful on both fronts, but but he did beat Spurrier with 10% the talent (and Tennessee with a WR playing QB).

* Stoops going up against a Bobby is checkers vs. chess. Same when he squares off against Mullen. Yes, he has a win against each of them, but they are infinitely better football coaches than he is.

* We are 3-10 ATS since beating UofL last year, with one of those 3 wins being the Florida disaster.

I'd been holding out hope that a lot of the idiotic things we've seen from Stoops were signs of a first time head coach learning on the job.

At this point that hope is stupid. It is year five and he is who is, which is depressing because I watch the games and think:

"You know, we could be really good if we cleaned up a bunch of these dumb mistakes. Isn't there a coaching clinic Stoops can go to or something?"

Probably not a good sign when you wonder about what sort of on the job training an SEC football coach needs in order to clean up dumb, unforced errors.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigBadBlueDaddy
I mean, we left two receivers completely uncovered in the same game - something none of us will see again in our lifetimes.

Well we probably also didn't think we'd see:
  • only 7 players on the field
  • one of our guys hit an opposing player with a touching trash can on the sidelines
  • an NFL tight end get a play drawn up for him once every lunar cycle
  • an idiot LBer get three player control penalties in the same game (TWO OF THEM BACK TO BACK) and still get back in the game
  • both the coach and the d-coordinator describe said LBer's behavior as "unacceptable" despite putting the idiot back in the game after those three penalties
  • a head coach of an SEC football team text a beat reporter at 3 am because he was butthurt about a flipping tweet
  • handfuls of possible NFL talent either stagnate or regress the longer they are in the program
  • our anointed starting QB get sucker punched in an EKU dorm for acting like a drunken dickhead and his teammates do absolutely nothing about it
Maybe Stoops is wrong when he says "we just need to get back on the practice field". Maybe he needs to get his act together and learn how to run a disciplined football team on the field and off, control his anger and defensiveness, learn how to be calm, and then get back on the practice field.

Because more practice sure as hell doesn't look like the answer right now.

Year 5, and the offense was ranked 103rd in the country. Nice. The defense, on the other hand, checked in at a smooth 93rd.

Change the game.

An easier decision has arguably never been made than passing on a late December trip to Memphis for the Liberty Bowl.

Jen Palumbo did chastise some young innocent kid for reading at the game ystdy.

2 things...

* I don’t blame the kid one bit. Whatever the kid was reading was probably more entertaining than watching that embarrassment on the field.

* Queen Palumbo Toots can STFU about what other parents decide to do with their kids. She has to be the least self aware hen on twitter and that’s quite the accomplishment.

I get that people are frustrated, but anyone thinking Mitch is going to be the guy that hires a football coach that pushes UK past 7-8 win seasons is fooling them self.

Hell, I’m not sure that guy exists.

I’d also suggest something Richie, stop following Jennifer Touching Palumbo on Twitter. Christ, how bored are you when you choose to follow some vaguely known news chick?

Greg Schiano. Yikes.

An average coach with ties to child molestation isn’t exactly a home run.

Believe Max once said that leaving your hands off of other people's kids is just good policy. I would also suggest not taking photos of other people's kids and shaming them on social media.

What a redneck.
It’s a simple code but it works.

She doubled down and defended taking pictures of other people’s kids when people called her out on it and then eventually deleted it.

The lord giveth, and the lord taketh away.

Tennessee hiring Greg Schiano is quite the answer to our prayers, and puts a little smile on my face today, despite yesterday’s debacle.

Now if Florida could just another awful hire we might be able to lose to them in a heartbreaking fashion as opposed to the ass whippings of yesteryear

Reactions: UK_ENGR1
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT