ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts on Calipari offering Tyler GYERO?

Love it.

He's the kind of kid who, if we found out in 1-2 years that he'd been jonesing for an offer from Cal, we would've riddled GYERO with knocks on Cal for only going after top 10 players who leave after a year, etc., etc.

You gotta have backbone kids and studs. He's the right kind of backbone kid. Plus, he "fits" better than Grimes, in IMO. Quickley's a 1, Keldon Johnson is a 2, and this kid can swing between the 2-3. I never saw Grimes coming here after Quickley committed and we jumped to the top of Johnson's list.

Take.

Haven't been able to find his overall shooting numbers anywhere but his shooting stroke is a thing of beauty. Between him and Jermarrl Barker I'm thinking Cal is tired of not having shooters.

Reactions: Hankshaker
I know I COULD go back and correct the egregious spelling errors
But they more or less indicate where my mind was when I posted

So .... I think there's something honest there

DID NOT realize we have our first basketball game this Friday

My attention will now to turn to Arizona fan and my passive/aggressive/care WAY TOO MUCH about beating them attitude.......

Haven't been able to find his overall shooting numbers anywhere but his shooting stroke is a thing of beauty. Between him and Jermarrl Barker I'm thinking Cal is tired of not having shooters.

39% from downtown on Nike NYBL circuit this summer.

Cal compares him to Booker. I’m thinking more Sheppard, Mills, Wiltjer or Farmer fwiw.

Reactions: BristolCat
Has a little more scrappy gym rat to his game than Booker. A little more cerebral. Not by much though.

Reactions: BKH34
Has a little more scrappy gym rat to his game than Booker. A little more cerebral. Not by much though.
A little more coach on the floor. A little more extension of his coach on the floor. A little better at running routes.

For real, though...doesn't this guy model his game after Booker? That's good enough for me. Those pics of Cal at his house had all of his brothers wearing Suns gear.

And like Max said, even if he never plays, if that still prevents him from going to a place like Iowa State or Oregon or Syracuse or wherever, and invariably facing us in the tournament and scoring 39 points, then I'm all for it.

Lock him down.

Reactions: wcc31
Would be nice to have some chalk on the team for reasons other than boosting the GPA.

WCC, it is ok to compare players based on styles rather than color. And i know you did it on purpose. See some Rex Chapman in his game, well Rex wasn't 100% chalk.

I think Calipari is jonesing to make a white kid a OAD. He thought he had that in Wiltjer, I'd bet. But then molasses happened.

Whatever happened to that Chinese connection Calipari was working when he first arrived? Remember him getting drunk at some Chinese award ceremony or something and Chinese people showing up at Rupp in the beginning.

iu

This dude who's 6-0 on the WS, letting it all ride on each game has been a pretty interesting story to follow. Now up 14 Million on the series -- apparently his only previous bets have been HUGE UFC lays, from which he's also undefeated...

Would assume he's rolling LA tonight?

-Really want to buy the half and hammer kates -3.

-Stranger Things 2 is solid so far. That show somehow works, I enjoy it -- but definitely stop well short of all the nerds who act like it's the greatest show of all time.

-Want that white boy bad. He's got some legit game...looks like someone Villanova would have for 4 years averaging double figures.

39% for a guy with that type of game is solid. Remember when people used to act like JJ Redick wasn't the best shooter b/c there were some guys who had better percentages...completely ignoring the attention he got on defense and the difficulty of a majority of his shots curling off screens & doubles from 25 feet.

-Simmons seems like a lock if he stays healthy obviously, but I layed $10 on my boy Luke and also Lauri Markkanen at +3000 for ROY.

Last edited:

This has to be the most overused horrible take and I don't get it at all. I guess because our players are good at other aspects of the game they aren't shooters? Because they're athletic they aren't shooters? Because you guys are from Kentucky you only think slow white people are shooters? What is it? Malik monk, Jamal Murray, devin booker, Brandon knight, Doron lamb, Kyle wiltjer, the list goes on and on with shooters we have pretty much every single year.

This has to be the most overused horrible take and I don't get it at all. I guess because our players are good at other aspects of the game they aren't shooters? Because they're athletic they aren't shooters? Because you guys are from Kentucky you only think slow white people are shooters? What is it? Malik monk, Jamal Murray, devin booker, Brandon knight, Doron lamb, Kyle wiltjer, the list goes on and on with shooters we have pretty much every single year.

Eh. Not really.

Calipari has traditionally tended to prefer size, athleticism, defense, and ballhandling at the expense of shooting. He also has traditionally not had an extra guard on the bench who's chief job is to come in and shoot.

Doesn't mean he doesn't want shooting or whatever race stuff you are alluding.

It appears that Calipari may be changing priorities more toward shooting, which he would probably do anyway because it is becoming an increasing premium in the NBA.

That is interesting.

Reactions: BristolCat
It's because having one guy on your team every year that can shoot doesn't mean you have shooters. It's because one of his best teams was knocked out of the tournament specifically because they couldn't hit threes.

And because he just took Baker who wasn't as highly rated as the usual Cal target and offered Herro who isn't as highly rated as the usual Cal target, it seems as if Cal recognizes that he needs some snipers as well.

Cal first and foremost likes long athletes and guys who have that dog in them. He prefers that over skill. Doesn’t mean he doesn’t like skill, too.

Reactions: Col. Angus
It's because having one guy on your team every year that can shoot doesn't mean you have shooters. It's because one of his best teams was knocked out of the tournament specifically because they couldn't hit threes.

And because he just took Baker who wasn't as highly rated as the usual Cal target and offered Herro who isn't as highly rated as the usual Cal target, it seems as if Cal recognizes that he needs some snipers as well.

Alright I can buy that, just hear the "we don't have any shooters!!1" thing all the time and think it's old, we have actually had some of the best shooters in the entire programs 100 year plus history under Cal.

I had never heard about this new recruit until yesterday but since we offered I think he’s a perfect fit and exactly what we needed and the other recruit I knew nothing about was a headcase anyway and just wasn’t gonna mesh well with the other guys.

Also, wouldn't be an issue if we weren't so much more athletic than teams the only way they can try to defend us is throw shit ass junk zones and hack the piss out of us.

Shooting wouldn’t seem near the achilles heel if guys like Booker, Murray and Monk didn’t inexplicably go cold in March.

Or if Willis ever hit a big shot in his life.

Not that I’m bitter.

If Willis hits that corner 3 against UNC, it's the dagger. And as he put that shot up, I thought, that's his spot, here's how this KY boy cements his legacy a la Meals / Padgett in 98.

I also thought, I'll happily take my chances with Willis shooting from that spot in that situation. Most of the time, it goes in. I'm good with whatever happens.

(That time, it didn't. And I wasn't).

I'm going to be courtside on Friday. Is there anything any of you want me to say to Cal's fat dumb face?

You need to drop a few Larry Conley-isms in during the broadcast. Maybe something about the Knicks. And call out the fact the pivot foot no longer exists in basketball anymore /GETOFFMYLAWN

I'm going to be courtside on Friday. Is there anything any of you want me to say to Cal's fat dumb face?
tell him- "GOOOOOOO!!!!"

seeing all of these articles that this terrorist took weeks to plan that attack in NYC... look, I dont know how terror plots work but "rent truck, drive into innocent bystanders" just doesnt seem like it should take that long to really iron out the details.

Kind of beginning to think some of these holier than thou Hollywooders, may just be closet creeps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT