ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t want to live in a world where 6 is too old to start playing baseball.

Me either, but these Bullitt County people were coach pitching at 5 when we tried them before.

The strategy was to get them ready faster but if they couldn't hit it after 4 tries then they got the Tee stand.

I was pissed but it's the only place in Mount Washington to play, which makes me wonder if it's that way everywhere. I already had the talk about being behind and how hard we have to work to catch up which was met with "so we can play everyday right?".

So now I'm trying to learn what to expect. I coach or help coach their soccer/basketball teams, and really have no idea where they should be at their ages development wise for baseball.

My 7 year old hasn’t shown any interest in football, because he’s a 7 year old, so I’m guessing that ship has already sailed for my kid. No Friday night lights for me.

Reactions: BigBadBlueDaddy
You guys leave Chad alone. His weekend take on the price of honeycrisp apples was a scorcher.
It was pissing in the wind imo

Yeah, honeycrisp apples are expensive- but you know what? You’re gonna buy them. I’m gonna buy them. We’re all gonna buy them. I meant wtf are you gonna do? Have some gala or jazz apples on a crisp fall afternoon? Big honeycrisp has us all by the short hairs.

Hey guys invest our sports firm, we will "bleed" out all the newspapers while spending your $8M hiring their employees and opening satellite facilities in major metropolitan areas!

I am going to assume that cash doesn't last long. Maybe they get a major investment but I doubt it.

Good article for Mags though. I wonder what the value is on KSR.

I read that article and was shocked by the arrogance of it...I don't care who you are or how smart you believe yourself to be, trying to figure out the future of media is a complete guess. Three years ago the idea that paying for media had any future was absolutely absurd...and now the NY Times, WSJ and Wash Post are having a lot of success doing it...they can thank Trump for that. I don't think the Athletic however will succeed because what they are attempting to do ("high quality" writing on sports) isn't as valued as what those institutions are seeking to do (in-depth high quality journalism on politics, news, world affairs, etc). The market just isn't there on a mass scale.

KSR's value is anyone's guess. We have paid for two very expensive valuations at times where we have considered taking on a partner/investor. They valued us at larger amounts than I would have expected and we have been surprised at their findings. However being valued as something and actually getting it on the free marketplace is a completely different thing. We have had a number of offers to purchase KSR, including one very good one from a high profile national media brand. But I have always shunned it because I value the independence of what we do. We missed the "purchase window" a few years ago when all the sites were being bought and getting lots of money. That market has dried up a bit although another wave is about to come due to scarcity of available brands. We are literally one the last really successful truly independent sites in America. I am proud of that. But it does come with some pitfalls.

KSR makes more money now than it ever has, even though the traffic is down about 10-15% from its peak time three years ago. That is mostly because local brands are now FINALLY realizing that you can get a lot more bang for your buck online than in other media outlets. The "refresh for the news every hour" era is over thanks to Twitter and thats never coming back. What we have found is that our core audience now is the "non-die hard" fan...the folks who once or twice a day go on the internet for UK news and who can get it in one stop at our place. The Diehards obsess over Twitter and (this) message boards but that is a really small percentage of overall UK fans. That "casual" fan has become the core part of the KSR audience.

All of that is why picking the "Future" of sports media (or any media) is insane. For every guess that gets made right (Barstool) there are 50 guesses that are wrong. We just sit back, watch the national wave happen first and then try to apply it locally as best we can. So long as we do that, and I can find a 22 year old Drew Franklin (which I am desperately looking for to set up for the next generation), I think we will be fine. But you really never know...stuff changes quick. The Athletic folks believe they will be the last standing but I think that is unlikely....what is more likely is that they burn through a lot of money and then end up selling to a major outlet at a loss. Being independent is hard and they don't have the core fan base to do it.

I read that article and was shocked by the arrogance of it...I don't care who you are or how smart you believe yourself to be, trying to figure out the future of media is a complete guess. Three years ago the idea that paying for media had any future was absolutely absurd...and now the NY Times, WSJ and Wash Post are having a lot of success doing it...they can thank Trump for that. I don't think the Athletic however will succeed because what they are attempting to do ("high quality" writing on sports) isn't as valued as what those institutions are seeking to do (in-depth high quality journalism on politics, news, world affairs, etc). The market just isn't there on a mass scale.

KSR's value is anyone's guess. We have paid for two very expensive valuations at times where we have considered taking on a partner/investor. They valued us at larger amounts than I would have expected and we have been surprised at their findings. However being valued as something and actually getting it on the free marketplace is a completely different thing. We have had a number of offers to purchase KSR, including one very good one from a high profile national media brand. But I have always shunned it because I value the independence of what we do. We missed the "purchase window" a few years ago when all the sites were being bought and getting lots of money. That market has dried up a bit although another wave is about to come due to scarcity of available brands. We are literally one the last really successful truly independent sites in America. I am proud of that. But it does come with some pitfalls.

KSR makes more money now than it ever has, even though the traffic is down about 10-15% from its peak time three years ago. That is mostly because local brands are now FINALLY realizing that you can get a lot more bang for your buck online than in other media outlets. The "refresh for the news every hour" era is over thanks to Twitter and thats never coming back. What we have found is that our core audience now is the "non-die hard" fan...the folks who once or twice a day go on the internet for UK news and who can get it in one stop at our place. The Diehards obsess over Twitter and (this) message boards but that is a really small percentage of overall UK fans. That "casual" fan has become the core part of the KSR audience.

All of that is why picking the "Future" of sports media (or any media) is insane. For every guess that gets made right (Barstool) there are 50 guesses that are wrong. We just sit back, watch the national wave happen first and then try to apply it locally as best we can. So long as we do that, and I can find a 22 year old Drew Franklin (which I am desperately looking for to set up for the next generation), I think we will be fine. But you really never know...stuff changes quick. The Athletic folks believe they will be the last standing but I think that is unlikely....what is more likely is that they burn through a lot of money and then end up selling to a major outlet at a loss. Being independent is hard and they don't have the core fan base to do it.
So basically Dana O'Neil can ead

Reactions: WayneDougan
I don’t want to live in a world where 6 is too old to start playing baseball.

-Our oldest started playing some wack type of Smart Start basketball at 3 and now at age 5 is getting ready to start his first organized basketball league. No traveling around, but who picks the dates and times for these damn games? 1PM on a Saturday? During Football season? WTF.

-Trolls is a solid flick in my kids constant rotation, but it's no Boss Baby.

-Matt, interesting post about KSR, and surprised numbers are down in wake of all things UK Football, Basketball season starting, and recruiting. Maybe we could stage another Gator breakdown incident to bring up some numbers?

-Drew Franklin likely to be traded for newer, hipper blogger per sources.

-Looking like it's going to be Barbour & Bean Boot weather Saturday. Time to locate the ol sneak in flask to stay warm though the inevitable shit show upon us.

-Dana ONeil. That skank blocked me on Twitter years ago for probably telling her to get back in the kitchen after badmouthing Kentucky yet again and haven't read any of her stuff in years because of it. If your hanging your hat on Dana O'Neil, you haven't made the big time yet.

-Hitting up Keeneland Friday if anyone is interested in splitting a limo bus.

Last edited:
Whatever it is he signed up for, he hasn't posted an out-in-front :nods: CBB take in about 3 years.

That's the real issue.Just glad he's hammering the hard-working for dad for taking his kiddos to an effing concert, though

SAD.

Again- I was drunk and read his post wrong. Imagine Dragons do suck though. Just awful.

It was pissing in the wind imo

Yeah, honeycrisp apples are expensive- but you know what? You’re gonna buy them. I’m gonna buy them. We’re all gonna buy them. I meant wtf are you gonna do? Have some gala or jazz apples on a crisp fall afternoon? Big honeycrisp has us all by the short hairs.

I stopped even trying to point out that they’re $3.99 a lb...on sale! Tried to sneak some Golden Delicious in there once. That was a F’ing debacle.

The whole thing is a racket.

Yeah, but the old Chad would've connected that apple take with something sports- or pop culture-related.

Like "Honeycrisp apples are the MLB closer of the apple family. You always pay too much for them, when there are plenty of other cheaper, albeit less sexy, apples of equal quality."
Can you imagine Aroldis Chapman throwing apples at 103 mph

Reactions: Mashburned
I stopped even trying to point out that they’re $3.99 a lb...on sale! Tried to sneak some Golden Delicious in there once. That was a F’ing debacle.

The whole thing is a racket.
ITS A RACKET BECAUSE IT WORKS

WERE ALL HONEYCRISP MARKS, CHAD

Wonder what the valuation is of honeycrisp apples? May make that $3.99 sale price more enticing tbh

If I was a high priced athlete all I would tweet would be stuff like...

This sucks

Total garbage

I hate this place

Welp they f'd me again

And all those tweets would be about McDonalds. The stupid sports honks would be losing their apples, taking another xanax trying to calm down and figure out wtf I was talking about.

Sweet Tango apple is dangerously delicious. I vote everyone try that. Very juicy with a tangy sourness bite to it.

Reactions: UK_Dallas
- Thanks to Matt, I now have to deal with women trying to talk to me about basketball recruiting. Women, Matt!!!

- If you think I’m going to waste a Saturday coming down to some kid farm has-been tailgate with a bunch of parents yucking it up about how Junior can already read, then you just don’t know me.

- I guess The Athletic missed it five years ago when ESPN tried the SAME GD THING- remember ESPN Dallas, ESPN Boston, etc?

Just another example of Sportswriter thinking a little more highly of himself than fans do. There are very few great sportswriters. Very few.

Favorite thing about Matt Jones is that he exposed that BS profession for what it was.

The new thing is for all these jokers to use the same cliched lingo and speaking styles- they all say the same exact things the same exact ways as Bill Simmons- wonky, aliens, unicorns, “hot take” mock declarations, calling all athletes by their first names like Chris Paul is your cousin, over-reliance on analytics, buckets, etc.

GGP, sportswriters.

WCC's personal hell would be a long weekend of playing ball with the kids, taking the kids out to dinner, and watching Rated G Children's movies with the kids on the couch. That and overpaying for a pound of apples.

Reactions: drxman1
This is what I give away for Halloween. Always a yuge hit. The candy corn on the caramel is what I think brings the family’s back each and every year.

36ccafafbca551a12a56aab2922f5e82-11ef7d5777871b012e6bc817069af2a2.jpg

The arrogance is a bad look, but $60 per year for the content they expect to provide, especially in large markets with multiple pro sports teams and beat writers is cheap. $99 for Rivals per year and similar prices for 247/Scout also. I imagine of few of these reporters shitting on them today over this NYT article will eventually be working for them.

KSR is best as an independent. I get doing the valuations and entertaining offers. But if you ever do sell it, Matt, a corporate entity will ruin the brand. As long as you don't mind that and can laugh all the way to the bank when the price is right, more power to you.

The new Camry is sharp. That said, I'm loving my Taco. Getting some extrees put on next week. #CantWait

Brax kid's fro is my hatboggan right now. Looks like a Puerto Rican kid making diving grabs for the ball.

Miguel's pizza at Natural Bridge last night. Quite solid. Dude working there smelled like he hadn't bathed in days, though. Take a shower, hippie!

Golf Clash is addictive.

Reactions: B Rax
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT