ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luke Winn's pre-preseason CBB rankings.

kentuc_150.png

KENTUCKY WILDCATS

• Key roster additions:Skal Labissiere, Isaiah Briscoe
    • Key departures: Karl-Anthony Towns, Willie Cauley-Stein, Devin Booker, Andrew Harrison, Aaron Harrison, Trey Lyles, Dakari Johnson
    How To Talk Yourself Into Kentucky as The Champ:

Even without Towns and Cauley-Stein, Kentucky is capable of having one of the nation's best defenses. Upping point guard Tyler Ulis' minutes by 9-10 per game is bound to have a positive effect; he's a gnat who'll only get better at on-ball pressure as he adds strength. Wing Alex Poythress, who played just eight games before suffering a season-ending knee injury in December, has offensive limitations but is a high-level defender. When I charted every defensive possession of the Wildcats' first 20 games for an SImagazine project, opponents Poythress was guarding shot a team-low 12.8%. (Not a typo: 12.8%. Poythress just did not give up baskets.)

Kentucky's lack of front-line depth is alarming, but the likely starting 4-5 duo of Marcus Lee and Labissiere—both long-armed, athletic shot-blockers—will provide rim protection as long as they stay out of foul trouble. Historically at Memphis and now Kentucky, when the John Calipari-John Robic coaching duo has a long and defensively engaged roster, it usually results in an elite overall D. If they can mold Ulis, Briscoe and Labissiere into an respectable offensive trio, use Lee as an efficient lob-and-garbage collector and Poythress as an occasional slasher, they'll score enough to be in the thick of the title hunt.

http://opinions.kycourts.net/sc/2013-SC-000681-DG.pdf

Kentucky Supreme Court has decided a fraternity house has the same Fourth Amendment protections as a private residence. I know several of you were Delts and followed this to one degree or another. Here's some excerpts from the linked opinion...

We agree with the instructive decisions presented by the Appellant and
the reasons offered in support thereof. Therefore, we hold that a fraternity
house is a private residence for purposes of Fourth Amendment protections.
We must now determine whether the detectives exceeded the scope of a knock
and talk in the context of a private residence.

They also slapped down the prosecution's 'knock and talk' defense of the search.

Without specific facts reasonably indicating that the residence was open
to the public, it is also generally irrelevant whether the back door was closed,
ajar, or wide open. When the detectives arrived at the house to perform the
knock and talk, they were not greeted by a scene out of the movie Animal
House. To the contrary, they arrived at the residence at 10 p.m. on a
seemingly mundane week night.

As previously discussed, the back
door entrance of the fraternity house contained a doorbell and keypad locking
device, albeit a dysfunctional one. Therefore, the fraternity members—
including Appellant—clearly indicated that the officers were not welcome to
enter at their own discretion. Accordingly, the detectives exceeded the scope of
the knock and talk procedure.

A win for privacy and individual liberty. Anything that makes us less of a police state is probably a good thing.

Reactions: wildcatadam6
im of the opinion that there should be a lot less laws/police. particularly in the case of drugs, police presence doesnt make drugs SAFER, it makes them more dangerous.

illegal = increased risk/reward = more dangerous

cops --> gtfo. jmo.

- Anyone watch that Locke-Mattox doc on SEC Network? I finally caught it last night and it was pretty good. They just framed UK's renaissance in the Pitino years around her. So, you got some good interviews from Pitino, Pelphrey, Tubby and Donovan.

Hard to believe just how many future D1 coaches we had in the program back from 90-92:

Pitino (two titles), Donovan (two titles), Tubby (title), Sendek, Pelphrey, Ford, Woods

What a special time.

- Gotta admit...the NBA Playoffs are awesome. There are just so many interesting teams and stars these days, it seems like. Plus, all the UK connections certainly help. Style of play is tremendous. NBA is putting out a helluva product right now.

- So, I guess it's just assumed Hoiberg will be coaching the Bulls next year. He'll be leaving a terrific squad in Ames.

- What if Calipari adds Swannigan and Murray at the last minute?:eek: I like what we have, but I suppose you could argue both fill "needs"- Swannigan gives us some beef on the frontline and Murray gives us an elite perimeter scorer. Given the choice, I'd much rather have Murray.

I agree with the ruling.

I do have one lawyer question, though. Why is precedent so important with law, considering/assuming often times the precedent that has been previously set is the wrong one?

My employee's husband was going to trade a bike for his buddy's truck. Fast forward to last Sunday, the guy with the truck was heading home from work late at night and ends up hitting a guy walking in the middle of the road. The guy he hit died this morning. Pretty messed up all the way around but she's over here showing me his post on FB and I'm in disbelief. If there is an ongoing investigation, what in the hell would you ever take to social media to talk details and try to clear your name?

Gotta feeling this dude is going to talk his way into a charge instead of keeping his mouth shut and letting his lawyer do his job.
Keep this in GYERO, but people are dumb.

Social media is a pretty useful law enforcement tool. See CoolCat's link re: reasonable expectation of privacy. Putting your mess out there on the internet kinda eliminates your reasonable expectation.

* i cant imagine an nbdl salary + a 10-day contract is worth more than a good deal playing overseas regularly. no way. those nbdl guys dont make squat.

http://www.ridiculousupside.com/201...ague-player-pay-and-standard-league-contracts

* pretty sure im in for the athens trips. probably just go ahead and share a bed with sae, too. its a georgia tradition for us.

* supposed to get a nice little bonus in january. probably gonna buy my aunt (pronouned "on-tee") a condo. /ninja rich

* one of the past criticisms of jordan's legacy was the watered-down nba competition in his era -- which was always a TERRIBLE argument. so, how does that jive with the remaining teams in the nba playoffs right now? you're telling me the only team standing between lebron and the finals is a hobbled wizards team and/or the atlanta hawks?? jesus.

* in the "what could have been" discussion for the day....how about adding andrew wiggins to this cav team?? eek! cleveland deserves this, imo. one of those most pathetic/saddest big cities in america. marching towards a title with thier homegrown star. very cool. definitely pulling like crazy for the warriors, for reasons chase mentioned yesterday, but a cavs win would make an awesome story.

* started a new novel last night. watched the reds game. all indoors. pretty much owned the summer evening.

Books-The-orphan-master.jpg

I agree with the ruling.

I do have one lawyer question, though. Why is precedent so important with law, considering/assuming often times the precedent that has been previously set is the wrong one?
Consistency, stability, etc. If the law is ever-changing, it's kind of hard to call it "law." And precedent is overturned a bit more often than you'd think.

We'll know if the pendulum has headed back our way if we add Sawnnigan and Murray if it hasn't we don't add either an Skal isn't elligible.

All they have to do is start the under 8 large UK flag rotation tradition back the way it used to be and this would all be over with. TS. I've tried telling them, all the way up to Mitch.

Makes sense. So it takes a great case/whatever to overturn a previous precedent/ruling, I guess? Then, I assume that precedent is then changed going forward to the new ruling?

Just curious if it takes a huge or higher-court case to set a precedent, or any little ruling somewhere can affect the entire country/law?

I have no idea. I really haven't been doing much digging on anything UK related or recruiting in months. It just keeps lingering back there in my mind. IIRC, a most of the eligibility issues of recent have flown under the radar until they just pop up.

Glad to see Andrew continues to improve his stock. Kid may well sneak into the back end of the 1st round, but Aaron's a mess. 6'6" 2Gs with average athleticism who hit 30% from three just don't have a market. He should've come back.

5. Andrew Harrison stole the show in the second half of the second 5-on-5 game

Harrison was the best player on the floor in either of the 5-on-5 games today, throwing up a 17-point, five-assist, zero turnover line that was impressive both on a statistical and scouting level. The oft-maligned Kentucky point guard changed speeds and direction really well, getting into the lane basically at will against whoever was guarding him. He also tended to make the right decision every time the ball was in his hands, something that sometimes eluded him in Kentucky's offense and led to calls for Tyler Ulis. The increased space in the professional game seems to have really helped his game. He's helped himself a lot here, and could do even more tomorrow when he is tested athletically and plays again.

Makes sense. So it takes a great case/whatever to overturn a previous precedent/ruling, I guess? Then, I assume that precedent is then changed going forward to the new ruling?

Just curious if it takes a huge or higher-court case to set a precedent, or any little ruling somewhere can affect the entire country/law?
It sort of depends. Amendments to statutory law can cause courts to overturn a previous ruling. Or if a way to analyze a type of case (say, slip-and-fall negligence cases) proves over time to be flat out confusing or burdensome, a court might adopt a new analysis. Or if societal "norms" change (see interracial marriage, civil rights, etc.), you might see the Court change its mind on an equal protection or due process claim.

Who has the right to overturn precedent generally depends on who created it. The U.S. Supreme Court has the say in most of your big constitutional or federal law cases and any lower courts (federal and state) are expected to fall in line with whatever they say. The Kentucky Supreme Court and the Kentucky Court of Appeals can overturn precedent they created, but it won't affect anyone outside of Kentucky. Federal appeals courts control what the federal district courts in their circuit do. State trial courts are pretty much bound by what their various appeals courts say.

And whether new laws/cases apply retroactively or just going forward depends on the case/statute at issue/etc. Honestly, it's hard for attorneys and Judges to sort it out sometimes.

Basically the law is a GD mess, and there's a reason it turns people into alcoholics.

Gotta admit...the NBA Playoffs are awesome. There are just so many interesting teams and stars these days, it seems like. Plus, all the UK connections certainly help. Style of play is tremendous. NBA is putting out a helluva product right now.

Hey man, glad you've finally come around.

It's fannnnnnnnnntastic.

I have no idea. I really haven't been doing much digging on anything UK related or recruiting in months. It just keeps lingering back there in my mind. IIRC, a most of the eligibility issues of recent have flown under the radar until they just pop up.

Skal played for something called Reach for Your Dream Academy so yes he is ineligible probably.

-I certainly marvel at people in medicine (exception being Il Popo), but engineers/architects fascinate me more. I can't get my little business school head around projects like bridges, stadiums, skyscrapers, etc. I suppose the laws of physics serve as some kind of backstop for these folks, but damn, it is impressive what humans are building these days.

-I *try* to get a little more contemporary with my clothing in Vegas, but I've learned that less variance from my normal gear the better out there. Better to be well dressed in one style than poorly dressed in another, I suppose.

-Things may finally be happening for me here at the new firm. Shew... I hate the transition period when you make a move. For about 3 months I was convinced that I had made the biggest mistake of my life and would never make another dollar in this business. #soblessed

-Nam Nam Café Saigon Noodles are dope. Recommended.

-Admittedly I never listened much to BB King, but man, it depresses me to see all of these giants from the 20th century pass.

-Think I can get 4-5 Bloody Mary's down tomorrow on my flight. That's the goal, anyhow.

-I've got the same Stihl weedeater dating back to my lawn service days in the late 90's/early 00's. Runs like a top. I may be letting my grass grow a little longer these days between cuts due to my schedule/child, but when I double-cut and trim my yard is absolutely on point.

-What type of employment can one reasonably expect from their teenage daughter, btw? With a son I'll know what to do, but I really struggle with thinking of entrepreneurial type of work for my little girl when the time is right.

-Widespread Panic and Dave Matthews invoke the strongest memories of my college years, for better or worse.

-A week or two home for summer and the reality soon set in that you wouldn't be back at school until freaking August. Always *kind of* sucked IMO. That was pretty much the only thing that sucked about college summers, I guess. Unless you had a lot of books to read for school.

Everything at Nam Nam is dope. Unfortunately only been there 3-4 times. Just one of those places that escapes me, and when it doesn't, I'm already sitting at Simply Thai or DiOrio's.

-Yeah, definitely kinda weird not having Chad make his usual "this is why the NBA sucks" post in the midst of the playoffs when everyone else is all-in & gushing over the action.

-LOL, sounds pretty simple UCL. o_O I'm just Glad there are Attorneys like yourself, b/c otherwise there'd be no Dateline/48 Hours.

-That's why after the first summer going home, (which was MISERABLE) I stayed in Lex every summer til graduation. I suppose it's different coming home to a bigger/fun place like Louisville, but I'd still have rather stayed/worked/partied in Lexington during my college years.

Teenage young men can obviously cut grass, umpire little league, walk the dogs in the neighborhood, take on labor intensive tasks that others dont want to do, etc... Girls I assume will babysit and lay by the pool at Lakeside.

Nothing quite revolutionized my little lawn care side gig like the backpack blower. Adding 'Leaf Maintenance" to my arsenal gave me a couple more months of tax free income. Simpler times back then.

-LOL, sounds pretty simple UCL. o_O I'm just Glad there are Attorneys like yourself, b/c otherwise there'd be no Dateline/48 Hours.

Federalism makes this shit doubly complicated. There are things federal law controls, and things state law controls, and things federal courts handle, and things state courts handle. I had a class in law school on this particular issue taught by a former clerk to a U.S. Supreme Court Justice. He pretty much acknowledged that it was a mess and no one really has a firm handle on it.

wtf is a pull boy?

Nevada Bob's Golf, Chi Chi's, and US Bank for dad in college.

I know at least 20 people, both past & current, who ran/run lawncare businesses....the best ones make pretty damn good money, and the average ones still do pretty decent given their age/education.

You get aggressive with that, and it can seemingly blow up pretty quick.

* i literally LOL at the goofballs who are rioting across the country demanding mcdonalds/burger king/wendys/indis/whoever pay more than $7/hour minimum wage.

buy a $60 mower on craigs list and go make about 4x that, dummy.

* i find amy schumer hysterical.

* the whole "precedent" thing can kinda be tricky. i mean, at one point, it was illegal for women to vote, and you could literally OWN a black person. so your "precedent" is only valuable to the extent that your laws make f'ing sense.

* warriors-cavs will make an AWESOME finals. best in years.

* the nba deserves 95% of the criticism wcc gives them. the game is really fun right now, but there is a lot of room for improvement.

As a kid, I always *desperately* wanted to go "in the back" (or up top in the front where the wodie offices are in some stores) of a grocery store. Was convinced there was all sorts of fun to be had back there. :oops:

Not as bad as I wanted to go behind the bowling pins, but a close 2nd.

If you weren't lifeguarding summers in high school and college, well, you missed out.

i would much rather be a lifeguard NOW. id get a lot more mileage out of it, to be very frank.

My sister was a lifeguard and server as a teenager. May have done a little babysitting too. Actually saved a kid from drowning when she was about 16. Pulled the kid off the bottom of the pool. I think lifeguard would be the way to go. Teaches responsibility, learn valuable physical skills and get a great tan.

Reactions: BravesRule
I wasn't allowed to work (for a real paycheck) til my Jr. year of college. Mom was adamant about it.

Raised tobacco (to pay for our car insurance), mowed a few lawns, cemetery, etc...but no real jobs.

Spent two summers working for Olan Mills, travelling around to various cheerleading camps, taking individual and group photos. Went to Ohio St., Purdue, Ole Miss, etc.

Didn't make much money but it was the most awesome summer a job a teenager could have, TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT