ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.

That is the hatboggan of the season for me. 17 pitches the last 2 innings and 17 different deliveries.It's like Pena was daring him to get sillier with each pitch. I wish he'd have done one of those Satchel Paige pitches where you do 5 arm circles before throwing.

But don't feel bad about next year; I'm sure Bailey will make you forget all about Cueto.

Reactions: PTI (pti)
Agree that NBA guy is getting there. But that's a bit understandable because most people who ditched the NBA post-Jordan had a good reason to do so....it was unwatchable.

But that sport, at least, has made some changes. Is soccer any different than it was 30 years ago? I don't mean the following, I mean the actual game.

Let's be honest, the problem with all sports fans is people being assholes about fandom. If you aren't just like them, there will be conflict.

Just know your role.

You don't see any other sport whose fans are so sensitive when others don't share their enthusiasm for it. That's what makes Soccer Guy so easy to dislike. And so easy to mock.

Soccer Guy overcompensates because the sport has been an afterthought on a national scale their entire lives. Extra loud, extra knowledgeable, extra pretentious, etc...

They love getting mad over casual fan's lack of IQ. THAT'S NOT A 4-4-2 YOU CAN CLEARLY SEE LUKA MODRIC IS UP HIGHER ON THE FLANK IN AN ATTACKING ROLE WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THIS ISN'T 2013 PREMIER LEAGUE SHIT THIS IS LA LIGA

why does erik korem have our starting qb chugging pints of whole milk? havent we seen this before? didnt really work out well the last time.

Soccer fan also has NFL fan from area with no NFL team syndrome. I like soccer and even chose a team in the EPL to follow. I, however, cannot force myself to get upset when they lose in anyway close to a UK loss (or really at all). Most soccer fans blow the eff up when THEIR WOLVERHAMPTON TEAM gets beat. Same shit when Dolphins fan from Laurel County goes on a rampage when they lose. Just watch it, enjoy the action, and be content that most others DGAF.

I just don't understand manufactured emotions

I don't think it's the sport though I think the nerdy douchebags were just first to the soccer dance and that's who they are; nerdy douchebags.

Soccer's a cool sport. No doubt.

No nerds in baseball, that's for sure. And NFL megafan is turbo cool.

F you, B Rax. We've ripped on NFL Fan plenty through the years. Why am I not surprised you're the poster child for Soccer Fan. Get lost.

Soccer fan also has NFL fan from area with no NFL team syndrome. I like soccer and even chose a team in the EPL to follow. I, however, cannot force myself to get upset when they lose in anyway close to a UK loss (or really at all). Most soccer fans blow the eff up when THEIR WOLVERHAMPTON TEAM gets beat. Same shit when Dolphins fan from Laurel County goes on a rampage when they lose. Just watch it, enjoy the action, and be content that most others DGAF.

I just don't understand manufactured emotions

Agreed. Good post.

Difference is the nerds actually play soccer. They get run from baseball and football with a quickness.

This is such garbage. Sorry.

We've got 4-5 kids playing soccer right now with my son's team who could do whatevertheefftheywanttodo in sports. Any sport. Name the sport. And would be the best kid playing in that particular sport.

Learn modern youth sports and athletes.

So a major airline and the New York Stock Exchange go down to technical issues on the same day?

Clint Dempsey breaking his nose in the world cup and then powering through the rest of the game even though he couldn't breath fully is pretty nerdy IMO.

Only really care about the US National team which is a kin to being a UK football fan. I can't get into teams across the Atlantic because I can't manufacture fandom. Hell I couldn't even seriously put my heart into the Mavs when i lived in Dallas.

You'll know when I'm really mad if I start referring to you as "hoss."

I didn't say all soccer players are nerds, 73. But I can go to any youth soccer field in America and easily pick out "players" who quit baseball and football because they cried on the bench and in the dugout because mommy and daddy made them play. Soccer welcomes them. That's all I'm saying. Youth soccer catches a lot of kids who can't play other sports which demand aggressiveness or hand eye coordination. They'll never be good at soccer either, but they can run around and attempt to kick the ball easier than they can hit or catch a baseball, or if they don't want to get their bells rung in football.

Clint Dempsey breaking his nose in the world cup and then powering through the rest of the game even though he couldn't breath fully is pretty nerdy IMO.

Only really care about the US National team which is a kin to being a UK football fan. I can't get into teams across the Atlantic because I can't manufacture fandom. Hell I couldn't even seriously put my heart into the Mavs when i lived in Dallas.
Again, you miss the point. There are no nerds in any pro sport. I'm talking about youth sports. Many youth soccer players grow up to be soccer fans because they had bad experience in traditional American sports.

I've seen some pretty terrible youth players in baseball basketball and soccer. By the time the kids are 10 years old, the bad kids have already been weeded out of all sports for the most part. There is a drastic dropoff between 7-10.

I've seen some pretty terrible youth players in baseball basketball and soccer. by the time the kids are 10 years old the bad kids have already been weeded out of all sports for the most part
That's my point. They get weeded out of traditional sports, but some gravitate to soccer because you don't have to be a brute or skilled with your hands. Look at billy hamilton. He'll never be able to hit a baseball for shit. If he'd have played soccer and learned foot skills, he could have been world class.

That's my point. They get weeded out of traditional sports, but some gravitate to soccer because you don't have to be a brute or skilled with your hands.
Eh, they get weeded out of soccer, too. At 8 in Lexington, they're already splitting the soccer kids up into "rec" and "SERIOUS GOTDAMN BUSINESS" leagues.

Reactions: funKYcat75
What UCL said. Haven't seen many rec soccer leagues recently. Most of the kids I see are pretty legit.

'73 is right (God help me). There was a kid on my oldest's team this year who has a college athlete for a dad and could play any sport he wanted - and excel at it. But he is 65000allin for soccer. The times are changin.

if americans had even the slightest amount of common sense, they'd steer their kids away from football and into futbol. probably easier said than done, but football is the lowest paid major american sport with the shortest career and the highest likelihood of scrambled brain syndrome.

My starting CF in baseball is also a stud soccer player and one of the top kids in the state in cc. His dad played football at ND.

He is kind of a nerd though...along with my kid. Both excel in the classroom and are weird kids. Though all kids are weird.

Sports I would encourage my kids to participate in:

1. Baseball
2. Golf
3. Tennis

Guitar or piano lessons will also be offered, and of course, they will also be taking martial arts at an early age.

Baseball is the most schedule-unfriendly sport in this town - or at least it is in the league my kids would play in. It's ridiculous. I'd honestly like them to give it a shot, but it's completely unworkable. Games at 4:30 on weekdays? Are you shitting me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT