ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find it amazing how many people are on boats without life jackets... honestly I dont think ive ever worn one in my adult life unless I was skiing. Never even think about it if we are just hanging out.

You're "supposed" to have a life jacket for everyone on board, per coast guard regulations. As the operator of a vessel, you can get fined if you don't have enough. It's a great way for them to just pull you over for any reason.

But yeah, other than little kids or when skiing, you really never see anyone wear them.

Glad that bbdk is full on soccer guy now. Glad to see GYERO slowly but surely adapting to the times.

Reactions: B.B.d.K.
Honestly, I think the crowds at MLS games are a better indication that soccer has "arrived" in this country. If you turn on a game played in Philly, Portland, Seattle, or KC, you'd think it was being held in Europe given how big the crowds are. They are getting massive turnouts in some places for some pretty meh soccer (compared to Spain,England, etc.).

Hell, Louisville FC had 8200 at its game Saturday - full house for a minor league outfit. Taking my kid and some friends to the game this weekend, so it should be interesting.

-No sporting event has benefitted more from social media than World Cup soccer. It gives "Soccer Guy" a chance to spaz out for a few weeks, gives closet soccer fans out an outlet for talking the game, and gives everyone else a chance to rally around a national team. Even I got caught up in it, watched about 75 percent of that Germany match. Would've watched last night, too, but by the time I remembered it, the score was 4-1 and I figured that was the soccer equivalent of UK-UCLA from this past season. I hate soccer, but I can always get behind a national team in anything.

-"The Judge" is sitting on my DVR. Did watch the most recent "Planet of the Apes" movie over the weekend, and it was outstanding. Great effects.

-Six-year-old daughter fainted last Tuesday. After an hour in the ER, they chalked it up to some long word that starts with a V, but ruled out a seizure. No big deal....except that whatever test they did on her that day apparently revealed some kind of abnormality, so she's having an EKG right now to make sure it's nothing serious.

-Kentucky changing its fireworks laws a few years back to allow "the good stuff" has really upped the game of neighborhood fireworks displays. Went to our town's public display, and it wasn't that much better than the neighborhood shows where they'd obviously shelled out major $$$. Never had any interest in buying/using any myself, leave it to the experts. And now, I guess, the neighborhoods.

-CONDIMENT WATCH: Duke's mayonnaise is the truth.

Can we at least admit that most soccer fans don't know crap about the silly sport and it's a trendy way to socialize?

Glad it's cool and all but at the end of the day our men's teams will never be in contention to win a World Cup because our best athletes don't and will
and never play soccer. Black kids in inner cities and from rural parts of south are still going to play football and basketball and then maybe baseball.

Glad the women's team won the World Cup. They have some cuties on that team and they did something our men will never do.

Rainy 4th of July afternoon so we ended up checking out Me and Earl and the Dying Girl. I had never heard of it but it was either that or the Pixar movie and we are going to take our nieces to see that soon. Movie was surprisingly really good. The only recognizable appearances were from Nick Offerman and Coach Taylor's wife, but they had small roles.

Nah, I don't get nauseous or dizzy from blood or the other stuff. I mean I'd prefer to not see it but I'm not going to faint. MCF on the other hand... will absolutely faint when the day comes for him.

One of the best headlines I've seen written in a long time.

CJPJwMKWcAAPXrT.jpg

Nah, I don't get nauseous or dizzy from blood or the other stuff. I mean I'd prefer to not see it but I'm not going to faint. MCF on the other hand... will absolutely faint when the day comes for him.

That's what they all say [laughing]

If you starting feeling flush or a little light headed, just take seat.

The biggest advantage that the World Cup has is its timing. It takes place right in the middle of the "dog days, nothing else in sports is going on" Summer.

If it happened during football or basketball season, nobody would care.

Glad it's cool and all but at the end of the day our men's teams will never be in contention to win a World Cup because our best athletes don't and will
and never play soccer. Black kids in inner cities and from rural parts of south are still going to play football and basketball and then maybe baseball.

Very few dominant "black" players in worldwide soccer. Top 10 players currently...

Lionel Messi - Argentina
Cristiano Ronaldo - Portugal
Arjen Robben - Netherlands
Luis Suarez - Uruguay
Manuel Neuer - Germany
Neymar - Brazil
Eden Hazard - Belgium
Zlatan Ibrahimovic - Sweden (Croatian)
Phillip Lahm - Germany
Thomas Mueller - Germany

A few others - Paul Pogba (France and black), Diego Costa (Brazil), Gareth Bale (Wales), Andres Iniesta (Spain), etc.

Best "black" players are probably Paul Pogba, Raheem Sterling, Yaya Toure...France has a bunch. England has a bunch. Obviously Ivory Coast and Cameroon. But it's not what you would think.

* i love how richie uses basketball as a frame of reference. he fails to realize that the sport was basically irrelevant until about 30 years ago.

The delivery is a totally different deal than walking in on your job. I have no problem with blood either (worked at St Joes as a phlebotomist, watched dozens of surgeries, worked in a lab, etc) but after an emotional roller coaster of a night that stretched into the day, with no food or water (have someone bring you a sandwich and stay hydrated) for 24 hours, the whole emotional release mixed in with the sterile latex smell made this big boy take a seat and catch himself for about 10 seconds.

Hell it's the most amazing shit you've ever seen, being a little loopy from the experience is expected.

No doubt it'll be emotional. I just don't see myself fainting. Never even had a hint of that. I'll be fine.

Yeah, B24. All that is already planned. Telling you, WS has this planned like crazy as far as the ancilary logistics. Obviously the actual birth is going to be a new crazy experience. You think our tailgates and road trips were planned to the second. Ha. She hasn't sat down for the past 6 weeks. Up until 11:30 working out the details. Got it all written down with instructions for me. I'm basically a factory worker.

- Finally got around to watching "The Judge" and it's probably my favorite move of the last couple years. Robert Downey Jr. has become a helluvan actor and Robert Duvall is always tremendous. I'd recommend it to anyone besides BBdK who would hate everything about it.

I'm basically emotionally dead but that movie hit me in a visceral way.

Hope Anth's playlist for the delivery has been approved by WS. He definitely struggled beginning of the season last year.

Lol SAE. At least you can keep things in perspective. #Bigbluebahamas

What has me nervous is that there is NO WAY to have it all planned out. But I do have a bunch of snacks packed, so hopefully Anth doesn't faint from hunger. And I'm sure a family member will bring him some food as well. And the hippy dippy midwives will let me eat snacks too, at least until the epidural.

Y'all know how much I love to plan, so not knowing "when" this will all occur is what has me nervous. I'd like a 15 minute reminder beforehand on my iPhone that says, "Birth George". That would make me less nervous.

Reactions: cawoodsct
That's great, 73. But in our country our best athletes, generally speaking, are black. And Antoine and DeAnthony ain't kicking around a soccer ball with Paxton and Benton at a young age. They're at the park playing ball or joining some Pop Warner football team.

Reactions: Beavis606
Mike Trout, Tom Brady, Clayton Kershaw, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Bryce Harper, Michael Phelps, Jordan Spieth...

Teh blacks are coming around to soccer in the USA. Maybe not in Alabama but in general.

Also, I can't even imagine what it's like to be pregnant or have to give birth. That whole deal is bananas. No way.

The fact that Sloot hasn't made ONE non-pregnancy GYERO post in the last 6 months has me very concerned with our future online friendship.

The fact that Sloot hasn't made ONE non-pregnancy GYERO post in the last 6 months has me very concerned with our future online friendship.
I've made a few. I don't actually post much at all anymore, so by the time I read and stuff, everything I have to say has already been said.

Also, it's time for you to settle down, get married and have some kids of your own. :smiley:

Reactions: TCPUKChamps
That's great, 73. But in our country our best athletes, generally speaking, are black. And Antoine and DeAnthony ain't kicking around a soccer ball with Paxton and Benton at a young age. They're at the park playing ball or joining some Pop Warner football team.
Wouldn't be so sure about that. I think it's becoming more popular in urban areas than you realize. Obviously nothing like our main sports but it's certainly gain traction. With the demise of football lurking out there somewhere, I wouldn't be surprised to see a shift in mainstream sports at some point in our lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT