ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming in on an off day to try to catch up, just continues to pile on. #Blessed #Stressed

Facebook has ruined the way we communicate with one another. Instead of point/counterpoint everything is now a monologue with a line in the sand drawn. See also; sheep sharing completely misleading propaganda that propagates fear and ignorance. At this point between the gay marriage and confederate flag bullshit I'm content to see invites to play candy crush.

If doc boat docked a boat which dock did doc boat dock his boat in?

Huge news in the insurance world as Aetna buys Humana. While its cool to hate on Louisville from afar, we can only hope for the sake of the city and state that Aetna has plans that include Louisville. Indirectly they prop up a lot of small businesses and charity organizations from all reports so keeping a keystone like that is important.

Also, for the typical Gyero, in the high net worth insurance world (homes over 1 million) insurance carrier ACE purchased Chubb this week to go along with it's recent purchase of Fireman's Fund. Meaning daddy Greenberg at AIG and his son running ACE have damn near a monopoly on that market.

Don't see any way ESPN gives a shit enough about UK football to pre reserve a night tv spot months in advance to help accommodate our little horsey race/costume holiday.

They're working with us, believe it or not. Also heard that Tennessee, and not Auburn, was to be the Thursday night game. UT wouldn't go for it, and now the team has to stay in Berea as all the hotel rooms in town are booked that weekend.

Reactions: ukalum01
They're working with us, believe it or not. Also heard that Tennessee, and not Auburn, was to be the Thursday night game. UT wouldn't go for it, and now the team has to stay in Berea as all the hotel rooms in town are booked that weekend.

UT nixed the Thursday night game because they play UGA on 10/10 and Bama on 10/24. There wasn't a way for them to play here on a Thursday without it being on a short week off a huge rivalry game.

UK and Auburn both have off weeks before the Thursday game.

I don't know if it's the weather or what but it seems like there is a lot less "seasonal" July 4th fireworks this year.

Love the no 90 degree days. I'll even handle a little rain if it means I can walk outside and not drip with sweat by the time I get to my destination.

So my kids are all over the Percy Jackson series right now...and one of the main characters is...

ustv_true-detective-alexandra-daddario.png.jpeg

I feel ya guys. High fives all around!

Yeti is taking over my Facebook feed. So many of my rural buddies from school are sharing statuses (stati?) in hopes of winning one. You can't find them anywhere right now, yet I've never seen one advertisement for a Yeti. Not one!

I'm not sure what to compare this trend to. It seems like something the Vinny Vines crew would have to own, yet it appeals to the Dodge Diesel driving deer slayers of backwoods Kentucky as well.

Best weather ever. Seriously have loved it the last few weeks.

My Coleman cooler works fine.

Going on a pub crawl where everyone wears kitschy American gear- so original and hilarious!!!

Reactions: TCPUKChamps
It was live at noon EST on the deuce. And it was glorious. The commentary and player intros were the best they've ever been. And then the huge upset by the kid that is 5'8 and 130.

You guys are shit for entertainment on a hungover Sunday.

Making of the Mob on AMC is a very well done show if you're into that kind of stuff. Good book recs on Mob stuff?

Ben is rounding into form as he usually does getting close to AS break. .291 and should end up with 40+ stolen bags again, he'll hit .300+ if he's healthy(he hits quite a bit better after the break), hoping that will put him in line for a multi year deal. 4.1m this year sure isn't a bad gig though. If any of you baseball Dads are planning on sending your churren to his camp let me know and I will make sure he spends some extra time with them. What does a guy who is a terror defensively, can play all OF positions, and will hit .300 at lead off and steal 40 bases but has *no* power go for these days? Seems like a team would pay quite a bit to have a guy that like but I dont keep up with MLB contracts at all.

If the Reds could find a way to get Hamilton up around .280 he'd easily break Rickey Henderson's record. The guy steals a base over half the time he gets on, he really has a chance to be a *great* player. Even if he hovers around .250 with a OBP of .300+ you're still looking at 80 steals a year.

Murray supposedly turned down 7 figures for this upcoming season...no way in hell I'd be able to say no to that, although it's probably the smartest decision long term.

Love combing through the summer league box scores to see some of the random names that have fallen into obscurity...

Scotty Wilbekin
Quincy Miller(NEXT DURANT!!!1)
Jarnell Stokes
Royce White
Juwan Howard Jr(never heard this name until now)
Sundiata Gaines

Last edited:
Your boy was born about 20 years too late, Will. High average, sb and decent defense -- he would have got paid then. Now, not so much (comparatively speaking). He's pretty terrible at advanced stats.His obp is only .328, which is 86th among qualified players. Even Jay Bruce is better with a batting average 54 points lower. And he has no power (.707 ops; 109th of 164 qualified players).

Good book recs on Mob stuff?

Selwyn Raab's Five Families. A very well written, serious read, that covers the NY Mob from the time period of the AMC show, up to when Joe Massino flipped back in '04. Decent price on the Amazon...in fact all of these are really.

Mafia Prince
based on Phil Leonetti's career in the Philly mob. He was Nicky Scarfo's underboss and nephew so he was right there around the shit. He and a few others flipped and put half the damn Family in prison. In fact, a lot of the guys he put away are back out after doing a 25 or 30 year bids. The author, Scott Burnstein is a solid researcher, and covers what's left of the present day Detroit/Chicago/Philly crime Families.

Blood and Honor by George Anastasia who also covers the Philly mob for that city's paper. This one deals with Nick "The Crow" Caramandi who eventually reported directly to Scarfo, but actually flipped before Leonetti did.

Last Days of the Sicilians by Ralph Blumenthal. Probably my favorite book. Deals mainly with the Bonanno Zip faction, Sicilians, that controlled all the Family's interest in the heroin trade (mid-70's-mid 80's).

Definitely would take Alex Morgan first, then probably Hope Solo. Not hating on Sydney Leroux though.

- “Competitive” eating contests are vile. Disgusting.

- Love the ‘military person surprising their family’ videos… I’m just always surprised the military member is willing to wait until later in the day at a random baseball game to see their loved ones. Airport reunion videos FTW.

- Yearly guys get-together golf tournament in Knoxville yesterday. A good time was had by all.

- Planning last minute vacation details is at the same time exciting and nerve-racking.

- People are gonna set off fireworks on and around the 4th whether you complain on Facebook or not.

- I’ve always thought keeping a journal would be interesting/therapeutic/etc… but could never see myself devoting the time.

Wouldn't be Monday without Chad complaining about some beautiful girl's flaws.

World Cup was great, that goal from midfield was insane.

So some 22 y/o got killed this weekend trying to light a mortar shell firework off his head...I mean its sad, but that's just begging for it.

Kinda surprised really how prevalent those things were this year. Like professional grade stuff was all over my friends neighborhood (Waterford). One mishap with some of those puppies, people could get really hurt.

-Hope Solo... NO. She's TERRIBLE. [sick]

-Great weekend. Finally shut out work and relaxed. Thankful for that before G comes.

-Worked the Egg out all weekend. 3 8# pork butts on Saturday, Smoked wings yesterday.

-Snapchats from the Beans all weekend at day clubs in Vegas. :cry:

-Crazy day in the TDF yesterday. My boy Q and defending champ Nibali both got smashed by crazy crosswinds. Froome and Al had great days. Teejay as well. Sagan avg-ing 45mph to catch the breakaway after a mechanical.

-Dale Jr!!

-Rory out of THE OPEN? Hmmm... seas are parting for Spieth.

There seemed to certainly be an uptick in fireworks related darwin-type injuries and deaths this year. Can only imagine how many more wouldve happened had the weather not blanketed half the country with flooding rains.

I gave the neighbors a pass shooting off fireworks last night after the WC game. Think Kelley O'Hara jumped up the rankings for the womens team, imo.
tumblr_ltjeolLxs01r3kbo7o1_250.png

Fire selling just about everything in our house that we havent used consistently over the last couple of years. DVD's, mountain-bikes, old stereo equipment... find it all on craigslist people.

The only competitive eating contest that is televised is the hot dog one, that I'm aware of. And you don't watch it to see them gorge, you watch it for the commentary which is hilarious.

* drxman, i think you're mistaken. those werent neighborhood folks setting off fireworks saturday night -- that was the grand opening festivities of the new elder beerman a couple blocks from your house. congrats, by the way. they have great linens.

* its pretty trendy to hate on analytics (and rightfully so, when youve got idiots like that clown gm in philadelphia who charts pre-game shot selection vs expected value and what not), but there is tremendous value in looking at #s. with ben revere and billy hamilton in particular. those two are exceptionally fast base stealers, who are basically NEVER on base.

by far the most underrated aspect of rickey hendersons game was his ability to get on base. career obp = 401. revere = 291. hamilton = 290. henderson basically got on base about 35% more often than those two. over the course of a season, thats a HUGE difference. over the course of a careeer, it puts one guy in the hall of fame, and the other two into retirement at age 32.

* the womens soccer team has a lot of smoke. very impressed.

* big weekend for my company. $37 billion acquisition. not going to lose a wink of sleep over it, but im in a great position. highly flexible. i am very concerned for my friends in kentucky. this may not work out well for them. also kind of hurts from a pride standpoint. very proud to work for a company that started with 1 nursing home, and grew into a fortune 500 (top 50ish) company.

* lamarcus aldridge to the spurs is awesome. seems like the perfect compliment to their organization.

* king G will be here any day now. [cheers]

Boat people, is 9 people on a pontoon a bit much? Pretty awful that 5 drowned just trying to watch some fireworks.

Natural selection and those kinds of things for the dude who blew his own head off with the mortar and the guy who jumped in to an alligator-infested swamp and got eaten.

* drxman, i think you're mistaken. those werent neighborhood folks setting off fireworks saturday night -- that was the grand opening festivities of the new elder beerman a couple blocks from your house. congrats, by the way. they have great linens.

I was actually visiting a friend in Geese's neighborhood.

Depends on the size of the pontoon Padre, but I wouldn't think 9 people would be too many on a standard rental.

I know a guy who works in the analytic department for the Sixers. Was an assistant coach at Lindsey Wlson before he was hired there. I'm not sure he ever played on a team.

-That pontoon story is pretty awful. By all accounts it wasn't alcohol related. Kids and stuff. :cry: When I first heard it I chalked it up to some drunk idiots acting a fool.

-I think he would be Prince G. King G would technically be the OG. He's crushing it at Park Terrace assisted living with a female:male ratio of 20:1 and an endless supply of scratchoffs. TS.

-We hit up Middlefork on Friday. That little area has a ton of potential. Now you have the little bar, Ethereal, Middlefork and Crank & Boom. I think their's a noodle take out on top of C&B, but not sure. They need to do something with that parking lot. It's a war zone. Middlefork was alright, need to focus. Was really disappointed but understood that they didn't have a liquor license one we sat down. Food was pretty solid, they're trying to do a half assed american tapas "small plate" bring it when it's ready deal. Cool space though.

Hamilton's OBP is pretty embarrassing. I think people keep waiting for the guy who came up in 2013 and went nuts (for like 20 games) to reappear. Just not going to happen. He's a great baserunner that cant get on base enough.

Find it amazing how many people are on boats without life jackets... honestly I dont think ive ever worn one in my adult life unless I was skiing. Never even think about it if we are just hanging out.

You want more, PTI?

Dude used to come to our high school games. He would sit on the front row and seemingly critique each possession. He would always be dressed like a 90s alt rock band member. Long hair, patchy beard, trench coat, and knitted beanie. Oh, he's around my age.

Always by himself. Weird looking guy, but brilliant. He has degrees in psychology, and other stuff I'm not sure how to pronounce or spell. Comes from a very rich family allegedly and doesn't really care about a career. He just wants to be around basketball and now he's in the Sixers front office.

He once came to one of our practices. He critiqued the entire practice and gave us notes. We thought he was some weirdo off the streets. The head coach at the time laughed it off and never read the notes. A week later this guy writes a two page hand written letter about how hurt he is because his criticisms went unread and how we would benefit from his knowledge as an assistant coach.

So he was a laughing stock around the community, but now works for the Sixers front office.

Post-Holiday Randoms:

- They've been saying it for 35 years and it's finally true thanks to the Millennials, but soccer is here in the U.S. I don't particularly get it and it seems mostly like an excuse for a bunch of casual fans to dress up in kitschy Americana, paint their faces and jump around with 10,000 other randos, but you can't ignore the last two years of World Cup mania in the US.

- How many melodramatic pregame narrated hype montages did one game/match/whatever need? I think FOX hit us with like four last night. Found the narration from the Brit particularly confusing for a US match pregame.

- Friday night hit up a grill out for the lass's friend and her fiance and they were all lined up around the TV watching a GD US men's team friendly in the kind of way our crew would watch a big college football game. Now, while nice enough, these guys weren't my type of crew- they're all late 20s Xavier alumni which should tell you what you need to know if you know the types of kids who go to Xavier- so I guess it shouldn't have been surprising that they were into a soccer game. Always have found Xavier/University of Dayton Guy interesting. Not bad people, but a different breed than my type of dude.

- Finally got around to watching "The Judge" and it's probably my favorite move of the last couple years. Robert Downey Jr. has become a helluvan actor and Robert Duvall is always tremendous. I'd recommend it to anyone besides BBdK who would hate everything about it.

- We are now past July 4 which means we're in the dog days of summer and I get a bit bored and start counting down the days until Fall and football and cooler weather. I just need some sporting events to center my weekends around. It's almost like in the summer my leisure time has no focus.

- Good to see UKFB recruiting going so well despite our on-the-field struggles. That tells you this staff is legit.

- I'm enjoying True Detective more than most (it seems) but I just can't get behind Vince Vaughn (whom I love) in that role. Miscasting. Rachel McAdams' body is on-point, doh, and I like Riggins and Colin Farrell so far.

- Really hard to put into words how HORRIBLE "Ballers" is. It makes "Entourage" look like it was written by William Faulkner. No plot whatsoever. Not a single funny or likable character. Nothing interesting at all goes on. And as is the case with all huge bulky football type/body-builder types, The Rock looks ridiculous in a suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT