ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is gonna end up like the McDonalds coffee thing. Except this poor family didn't burn their mouth, they lost a kid.

Liebeck was taken to the hospital, where it was determined that she had suffered third-degree burns on six percent of her skin and lesser burns over sixteen percent. She remained in the hospital for eight days while she underwent skin grafting. During this period, Liebeck lost 20 pounds (9 kg, nearly 20% of her body weight), reducing her to 83 pounds (38 kg). After the hospital stay, Liebeck needed care for 3 weeks, provided by her daughter. Liebeck suffered permanent disfigurement after the incident and was partially disabled for two years.

I guess that's pretty much the same thing as burning your mouth on coffee.

Liebeck was taken to the hospital, where it was determined that she had suffered third-degree burns on six percent of her skin and lesser burns over sixteen percent. She remained in the hospital for eight days while she underwent skin grafting. During this period, Liebeck lost 20 pounds (9 kg, nearly 20% of her body weight), reducing her to 83 pounds (38 kg). After the hospital stay, Liebeck needed care for 3 weeks, provided by her daughter. Liebeck suffered permanent disfigurement after the incident and was partially disabled for two years.

I guess that's pretty much the same thing as burning your mouth on coffee.

The PR campaign mounted by McDonalds in that one was ridiculous and absurd.

Reactions: TheShowKiller
Both are fairly obvious hazards.

Did a McDonalds employee spill the coffee in her lap?

I've spilled coffee on my lap before and it didn't melt my dick off. They had been warned about keeping it up to those temps. Others had been burned.

Reactions: wcc31
I've spilled coffee on my lap before and it didn't melt my dick off. They had been warned about keeping it up to those temps. Others had been burned.

Great, so the rest of us are supposed to sacrifice quality coffee because other morons burned themselves.

Water Temperature
The brewing temperature of the water used is very important. It should be between 195 F (91 C) and 205 F (96 C). The closer to 205 F (96 C) the better. Boiling water (212 F - 100 C) should never be used, as it will burn the coffee. Water that is less than 195 F (91 C) will not extract properly. Keep in mind that if frozen beans have been ground, the aggregate will drop the temperature of the water upon contact. In this instance the temperature of the water being added to the aggregate should be right at 205 F (96 C).

It's not like "coffee is hot and might burn you" was breaking news in the 90's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stonewall12
The thing people ignore about that McDonald's case is that a lot of other people had suffered severe burns, McDonald's knew about it, and they effectively said, "Oh, well. Too bad, so sad." This wasn't an isolated incident that caught them off guard.

th

-I've never met krazykats' wife, jesus people. She does/did share his last name tho. Thanks for all the texts.

Sorry Joeyweirdo.....when GYERO just runs with it, boy do you all ever go running PTI style.

My last name did get me my first 3some on spring break in '98. Two chicks I met went to Heath HS in Paducah and "OMG what a coincidence". If you don't know it's the school that was shot up back then here in Ky.

Reactions: B.B.d.K.
Yeah, Pizza Rolls & Milk. That should do it. [eyeroll]

I don't need to "learn" anything about pizza rolls, except how to not eat all 40. Burning your mouth on the first one is part of the experience.

Reactions: B Rax
- REPORTS are kid was exhausted from meeting Mickey and had taken a nap later than usual and considering the central-to-east time change, that's why he was still up!!! STOP the parent-shaming!!!!
I'm not sure if you are joking, but this actually seems plausible with the kid still being awake at 9p.m. The whole thing is god awful.

The other party nominated Donald Trump as their presidential nominee. I'm cool with where I'm at.

The funniest thing to me about this election year is left and right wingers pretending their candidates are superior to the other. False. There's public records that prove both are equally certified pieces of shit. #murica

Reactions: wildcatadam6
I went to a Bill Burr show a few months back. An old law school friend came up for it and stayed over. After a comedy show and the non-stop flow of drinks that proceeded, we got some drunk munchies. Pizza rolls are a staple in these situations. I got the big bag (90 count), fixed em up, had like 15 or so and passed out.

The next day, I drove him to his car, and we said our hungover goodbyes. After arriving back home, I delightfully remembered the meatlovers pizza rolls from the night before. I did my best walking dead impression over to the stove top only to find an empty pan. This drunk fat ass ate at least 75 pizza rolls. Unbelievable...

*This was supposed to be a short comment of no consequence. Got a bit wordy because I'm still amazed by it.

I'm not sure if you are joking, but this actually seems plausible with the kid still being awake at 9p.m. The whole thing is god awful.

What- you don't want to be a self-righteous prick and pile on the poor parents who just watched their two year old get eaten by an alligator on a family vacation?

The funniest thing to me about this election year is left and right wingers pretending their candidates are superior to the other. False. There's public records that prove both are equally certified pieces of shit. #murica

The funniest thing to me is I'm considered an extreme lefty on this board.

Reactions: _Chase_
The fact that the Republican Party nominated Donald Goddamn Trump for the most important office in the world is an absolute joke and embarrassment and everyone who took part in it should be ashamed of themselves. He is beyond a shadow of a doubt the worst nominee for President in the history of this country. And that is saying something. Enjoy.

Yup.

What kind of prick questions parents letting a two year old swim in the dark in a GD Lagoon that reads "Danger no swimming"?

You- you're the kind of prick. Stick to obsessing about Louisville and whining about UK football, Super Dad.

• McDonald’s operations manual required the franchisee to hold its coffee at 180 to 190 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Coffee at that temperature, if spilled, causes third-degree burns in three to seven seconds.
  • The chairman of the department of mechanical engineering and biomechanical engineering at the University of Texas testified that this risk of harm is unacceptable, as did a widely recognized expert on burns, the editor-in-chief of the Journal of Burn Care and Rehabilitation, the leading scholarly publication in the specialty.
  • McDonald’s admitted it had known about the risk of serious burns from its scalding hot coffee for more than 10 years. The risk had repeatedly been brought to its attention through numerous other claims and suits.
  • An expert witness for the company testified that the number of burns was insignificant compared to the billions of cups of coffee the company served each year.
  • At least one juror later told the Wall Street Journal she thought the company wasn’t taking the injuries seriously. To the corporate restaurant giant those 700 injury cases caused by hot coffee seemed relatively rare compared to the millions of cups of coffee served. But, the juror noted, “there was a person behind every number and I don’t think the corporation was attaching enough importance to that.”
  • McDonald’s quality assurance manager testified that McDonald’s coffee, at the temperature at which it was poured into Styrofoam cups, was not fit for consumption because it would burn the mouth and throat.
  • McDonald’s admitted at trial that consumers were unaware of the extent of the risk of serious burns from spilled coffee served at McDonald’s then-required temperature.
  • McDonald’s admitted it did not warn customers of the nature and extent of this risk and could offer no explanation as to why it did not.

The Plaintiff also offered to settle the case for $20,000.00, which McDonald's refused. McDonald's highest offer was $800.

Reactions: Mossip
  • McDonald’s operations manual required the franchisee to hold its coffee at 180 to 190 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Coffee at that temperature, if spilled, causes third-degree burns in three to seven seconds.
  • The chairman of the department of mechanical engineering and biomechanical engineering at the University of Texas testified that this risk of harm is unacceptable, as did a widely recognized expert on burns, the editor-in-chief of the Journal of Burn Care and Rehabilitation, the leading scholarly publication in the specialty.
  • McDonald’s admitted it had known about the risk of serious burns from its scalding hot coffee for more than 10 years. The risk had repeatedly been brought to its attention through numerous other claims and suits.
  • An expert witness for the company testified that the number of burns was insignificant compared to the billions of cups of coffee the company served each year.
  • At least one juror later told the Wall Street Journal she thought the company wasn’t taking the injuries seriously. To the corporate restaurant giant those 700 injury cases caused by hot coffee seemed relatively rare compared to the millions of cups of coffee served. But, the juror noted, “there was a person behind every number and I don’t think the corporation was attaching enough importance to that.”
  • McDonald’s quality assurance manager testified that McDonald’s coffee, at the temperature at which it was poured into Styrofoam cups, was not fit for consumption because it would burn the mouth and throat.
  • McDonald’s admitted at trial that consumers were unaware of the extent of the risk of serious burns from spilled coffee served at McDonald’s then-required temperature.
  • McDonald’s admitted it did not warn customers of the nature and extent of this risk and could offer no explanation as to why it did not.
The Plaintiff also offered to settle the case for $20,000.00, which McDonald's refused. McDonald's highest offer was $800.

Fine, fine- just serve the damn coffee with ice cubes from now on.

Regards,

Brandon-and-Steve-beverly-hills-90210-3201048-640-480.jpg

Reactions: drxman1 and _Chase_
The fact that the Republican Party nominated Donald Goddamn Trump for the most important office in the world is an absolute joke and embarrassment and everyone who took part in it should be ashamed of themselves. He is beyond a shadow of a doubt the worst nominee for President in the history of this country. And that is saying something. Enjoy.
I just don't get why everyone wants to move to Canada. It's freaking cold up there.

Pretty sure any of us could set up nicely in Venezuela these days. Expand the GYERO Sports Bar into a GYERO banana republic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT