ADVERTISEMENT

Good article on Cal not coaching the players

I think the article makes some valid points. To me ND backing off wheeler and Cal not making an adjustment makes Cal look like an elementary level coach. Plus, ND repeatedly pulling Oscar away from basket and giving them easy inside shots is horrendous. Maybe Cal needs glasses, not sure. If I functioned this poorly in my career after 20+ years I know I would be out of a job.

If the losing continues, there will be more and more articles like this from various media outlets, including national ones. If Cal can't right the ship (I've not seen evidence he will), his seat is going to get hot...real hot.

And when that happens, his disdain for media, complaining fans, etc., will grow. Might be ugly, folks. Of course, I'm cynical by nature.

Last edited:
Good article. Pretty obvious though, if you know anything about basketball, that this is what we have been doing for a long time. Cal is too damn stubborn.

I have a lot of trouble with us relying on the 3 point shot to the exclusion of having some of our guys shooting 12’ jump shots which seem available.
I’m not a huge Brooks fan but he seems to have improved his mid-range jump shot. Hopkins has a good mid-range shot too.
Throwing the ball to Oscar is a plan worth continuing but I think we should encourage more makable shots for guys who can hit those shorter jump shots.
That would open up our 3 point shooters and allow this guys to be more effective.
We are living and dying by the 3. It’s great when we are hitting them. But we need a well rounded offense or we will keep losing.

I have a lot of trouble with us relying on the 3 point shot to the exclusion of having some of our guys shooting 12’ jump shots which seem available.
I’m not a huge Brooks fan but he seems to have improved his mid-range jump shot. Hopkins has a good mid-range shot too.
Throwing the ball to Oscar is a plan worth continuing but I think we should encourage more makable shots for guys who can hit those shorter jump shots.
That would open up our 3 point shooters and allow this guys to be more effective.
We are living and dying by the 3. It’s great when we are hitting them. But we need a well rounded offense or we will keep losing.
Brooks is shooting 23 percent from three point range. Wheeler is shooting 22 percent from 3. Oscar has not taken a 3. You are not going to stretch the floor if the other team doesn't have to guard 3 players until they get in or around the paint..We have a bunch of shooters on the bench I suppose, which doesn't do you a lot of good..

We are 280 in the country in three point attempts per game. We are not living and dying by the three. We are dying by playing an outdated style of basketball..

Brooks is shooting 23 percent from three point range. Wheeler is shooting 22 percent from 3. Oscar has not taken a 3. You are not going to stretch the floor if the other team doesn't have to guard 3 players until they get in or around the paint..We have a bunch of shooters on the bench I suppose, which doesn't do you a lot of good..

We are 280 in the country in three point attempts per game. We are not living and dying by the three. We are dying by playing an outdated style of basketball..
Valid point however we lived and died by the 3 at ND.

Valid point however we lived and died by the 3 at ND.
We actually took just below our average for the year which is 19. That's still right in the 280 out of 358 range for college basketball. It's not that we took a lot that game, just didn't hit the few that we attempted.

You are right though, if we hit a few we win that one.

Reactions: KyLegacy
If the losing continues, there will be more and more articles like this from various media outlets, including national ones. If Cal can't right the ship (I've not seen evidence he will), his seat is going to hot...real hot.

And when that happens, his disdain for media, complaining fans, etc., will grow. Might be ugly, folks. Of course, I'm cynical by nature.
Jeff Goodman and two others I don't know, hammered him too and I can't argue with any of their points.

We actually took just below our average for the year which is 19. That's still right in the 280 out of 358 range for college basketball. It's not that we took a lot that game, just didn't hit the few that we attempted.

You are right though, if we hit a few we win that one.
Should any team be taking 25-30 threes a game though?

Is that just what basketball is now?

Reactions: ciphercomplete
No defense changes--just the same attempt to play man to man against all foes--never a zone--a few token presses. No trapping out of the man to man.

offense--stale and out dated. Attempting to put square pegs into round holes. Shooters are obviously told to run to a corner and WAIT for a pass--non-shooters are told to shoot when open--and a 17foot shot is the worst in b'ball.

put it all together and a loss to a 103 ranked notre dame results.

UK basketball is in a sad state.

rr

Yeah, once again the pieces don't fit. To get by with Wheeler you would really need better shooting and driving from your PF. You just don't see good teams with only two shooting threats on the floor these days.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
😳

"As for the rest of the team, the players continue to use poor shot selection that is somewhat created by Calipari’s offensive strategy and is somewhat created by the desperation of the players being put in the position of coaching themselves."

We’re still living in the Ice Age as far as our offense goes. It won’t surprise me if the Buckeyes don’t spank us by double digits…

Reactions: blue woman
We are at 19.1 3PAs per game. Gonzaga shot 20.4 and Baylor 24.2 last year but at much higher percentages. Better flow/spacing and better shooters need to improve more than volume.

Jeff Goodman and two others I don't know, hammered him too and I can't argue with any of their points.

They talk about UK at the 19 minute mark.
Some valid points.
Don‘t even rank Cal top 5 of coaches just in the SEC as far as X’s and O’s.

They do say Sharpe is the real deal. He could step on the court tomorrow and be our best player.

Should any team be taking 25-30 threes a game though?

Is that just what basketball is now?
Out of the top 10 teams only #10 USC takes less than we do. The rest of the top 10 takes anywhere from 22-30 attempts per game. It's been proven that outside of a layup any three pointer is the next best option for getting the most points per possession.
We are at 19.1 3PAs per game. Gonzaga shot 20.4 and Baylor 24.2 last year but at much higher percentages. Better flow/spacing and better shooters need to improve more than volume.
We still need to be taking 23-25 a game. It's getting to be just like our football team when it was run heavy. Couldn't get quality wide receivers and QBs to come and play in our system. I'm sure our inability to recruit shooters sometimes comes down to an outdated offense that Cal stubbornly wants to play..

Out of the top 10 teams only #10 USC takes less than we do. The rest of the top 10 takes anywhere from 22-30 attempts per game. It's been proven that outside of a layup any three pointer is the next best option for getting the most points per possession.

So modern basketball is live or die by the three. No wonder it’s becoming less watchable at all levels.

No one wants to watch a yeet fest where teams just toss it up from beyond the arc every play do they? Is it just me that enjoys a good backdoor or even a meeting at the rim?

Here is reality imo....this team is made up of a lot of role players...outside of Oscar and maybe TyTy, not even sure about TyTy yet.
Hard to win with a team like that. Cal got to a FF with a not overly talented team in '11. He adapted to what that team could do. Shoot the ball and pick and roll offense.
But you have to pick and roll with players that can make plays. T Jones and Harrellson could do that. Lamb was a sniper. He, Miller, and Knight could deliver. Don't understand why Cal doesn't remember what he did with that team.

So modern basketball is live or die by the three. No wonder it’s becoming less watchable at all levels.
It's not live or die by the three. It's just like with two pointers, make enough you win, if not you lose.

The NBA is the most analytical game out there and they have found that outside of the layup the three pointer is most efficient shot on the floor. Cal telling kids to step in and take an 18 footer is absurd.

It's not live or die by the three. It's just like with two pointers, make enough you win, if not you lose.

The NBA is the most analytical game out there and they have found that outside of the layup the three pointer is most efficient shot on the floor. Cal telling kids to step in and take an 18 footer is absurd.
Nobody wants that either I’d say. Seems like every level of basketball is just now street ball though.

Run down. Chuck up a three.

Niw don’t get me wrong. If you do drives and kicks, it’s fun to watch. But seems like that doesn’t happen to much any more either.

I agree…..the “modern” offense I’ve seen bounced around here for so long talks only about the 3 ball. There just aren’t that many teams who can totally rely on it and be successful. Mid range is where it’s at these days because so many teams guard the 3 line and the post. If you can be a consistent 12-15 foot shooting team, everything opens up. This team has the ability to be successful using the mid-range shot.

Reactions: rivercatinfl
I agree…..the “modern” offense I’ve seen bounced around here for so long talks only about the 3 ball. There just aren’t that many teams who can totally rely on it and be successful. Mid range is where it’s at these days because so many teams guard the 3 line and the post. If you can be a consistent 12-15 foot shooting team, everything opens up. This team has the ability to be successful using the mid-range shot.
I agree with this. You have to have one guy where that’s a legitimate threat. Has to be. Otherwise. You’ll get shut down at the perimeter and in the paint.

Kinda like in football. You have to complete those mid range 5-7 yard passes to keep you honest. Or be able to run a screen here and there.

Basketabll can’t just become chuck up a three or lay it in. Have to have a viable mid range shooter.

I agree with this. You have to have one guy where that’s a legitimate threat. Has to be. Otherwise. You’ll get shut down at the perimeter and in the paint.

Kinda like in football. You have to complete those mid range 5-7 yard passes to keep you honest. Or be able to run a screen here and there.

Basketabll can’t just become chuck up a three or lay it in. Have to have a viable mid range shooter.
Agreed. Which is why many of us have complained about Cal getting all these athletes and no actual basketball players.

We still need to be taking 23-25 a game. It's getting to be just like our football team when it was run heavy. Couldn't get quality wide receivers and QBs to come and play in our system. I'm sure our inability to recruit shooters sometimes comes down to an outdated offense that Cal stubbornly wants to play..
I would agree, especially those 18 footers we take too many of.

Reactions: blue woman
I'm sure coaches would love to play against a team relying on 12-15 foot jump shots all game. The math doesn't lie and takes into account those shots. You get less points per possession than you do with three pointers with those. The NBA isn't chucking up a bunch of threes because it's the way to lose. Our best scenario is to take a few more threes and get better at making them..

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua
West Virginia clogged the lane in the 2010 Elite Eight

Indiana clogged the lane in 2016 NCAA tournament

Kansas state clogged the lane in the 2018 NCAA tournament

We should never be shocked that opposing teams are daring us to shoot and make outside shots.

I think it all goes back to the right people taking them.

TyTy, Grady, Mintz, and Allen (if he plays). Does anyone know if Sharpe is decent to solid from 3? Those are the only 3-5 people we need taking 3s.

Brooks, Hopkins, Wheeler, etc, only if last second on shot clock as they are as good as a turnover 75% of the time based on their percentages.

We need a group that can get our guys open from 3. We need a Mintz, Grady, Tyty, Oscar and (????) that can get the right people open shots. If Oscar can play on offense like he showed at ND we should be getting more open 3s as people double team him. The problem is in that scenario I think they are leaving Brooks open....Sharpe playing (if he does) adds another dynamic there and would help.

I think it all goes back to the right people taking them.

TyTy, Grady, Mintz, and Allen (if he plays). Does anyone know if Sharpe is decent to solid from 3? Those are the only 3-5 people we need taking 3s.

Brooks, Hopkins, Wheeler, etc, only if last second on shot clock as they are as good as a turnover 75% of the time based on their percentages.

We need a group that can get our guys open from 3. We need a Mintz, Grady, Tyty, Oscar and (????) that can get the right people open shots. If Oscar can play on offense like he showed at ND we should be getting more open 3s as people double team him. The problem is in that scenario I think they are leaving Brooks open....Sharpe playing (if he does) adds another dynamic there and would help.
Sharpe shot 45% from 3 last season.

• Wow
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT