ADVERTISEMENT

Article, Cal says defense isn’t that bad

I love the idea that all learning depends upon an omnipotent teacher. It sure looks like every educational moment I've ever seen.

15 years later and people still don't understand what Cal was saying about this. He was saying his team needed to work on other things in practice, so they didn't use tons of organized practice time to teach free throws. It was up to the players to work on it during their own time.
Besides, it was Chris Douglas-Roberts that missed the three free throws. He was over 70% at the line for the season. It’s not like he lacked free throw shooting skill due to lack of practice. He just didn’t make them in that situation.

Reactions: ukcatz12
This is a prime example of why he will never make another FF. He won’t attempt to fix something if he doesn’t think anything is wrong. Even if he sees something wrong he doesn’t know how to make adjustments. He’s really clueless!

Your team gave up 97 points Cal. Good grief.

Reactions: ukjenning44
15 years later and people still don't understand what Cal was saying about this. He was saying his team needed to work on other things in practice, so they didn't use tons of organized practice time to teach free throws. It was up to the players to work on it during their own time.

Yeah and now based on what we’ve seen he must be telling them to work on their defense while they are at it!

Looney Tunes Nothing To See Here GIF

Uh
This is a prime example of why he will never make another FF. He won’t attempt to fix something if he doesn’t think anything is wrong. Even if he sees something wrong he doesn’t know how to make adjustments. He’s really clueless!

Uh my 90 year old grandma who had hip surgery could beat this defense

We don’t have to have young guys Cal you could pluck 11/12 top transfers every year age 21 & up. You choose to go diaper dandy route
You could get the puck if the litter with what they can make
You can’t build complete rosters and you can’t Coach defense worth a crap

He can say we are ranked 50 and that is unacceptable. In the last ten years no team has ranked that high and won the championship. Need to be 12 or better. Cal isn’t going to be the anomaly. More likely we see another A&M game that sends us home in the sweet 16.
You think Cal is perfectly happy with the defense? Some of you folks need to take what he says publicly with a grain of salt. If anything, Cal’s used to dealing with young guys and going out and bashing them publicly may not be the best thing for this particular set of players. Just because he says something to the media doesn’t mean that’s 100% what he believes or what he tells the guys in private.

It will be on cal. We lack a mobile big to switch like cal wants. So we'll be fine if cal adjusts his ball screen defense or mixes in zone.

If he doesn't, like last game, it will just be never ending buckets and/or fouls

While this team needs to defend better, the numbers are skewed because of the offense. The opposing team will have more possessions and time of possession.
We need to get to the FT line more.

And the thing is you can have these type of efficiency numbers and STILL have a great season.

A top 10 offense to go long with a top 50 defense and you are going to win a lot of games that season.

You could even win a title with these figures if the pieces fall together.

But yeah it's all about increasing it to make the final four run all the more likely.

The defense isn't bad.
The defense isn't where it really needs to be.

Both statements are true.
Bad form of you to offer a rational take -- especially on this thread.

While this team needs to defend better, the numbers are skewed because of the offense. The opposing team will have more possessions and time of possession.
The raw point totals that the other team scored might be influenced by our fast pace. But the defensive metrics are adjusted for that. Once adjusted we're still in the 50s in defense. Not horrible but not good.

You think Cal is perfectly happy with the defense? Some of you folks need to take what he says publicly with a grain of salt. If anything, Cal’s used to dealing with young guys and going out and bashing them publicly may not be the best thing for this particular set of players. Just because he says something to the media doesn’t mean that’s 100% what he believes or what he tells the guys in private.
I don’t know that he is happy, but I am confident he doesn’t possess the ability to fix it. We will be around 50 at the end of the season. He will have a deer in the headlights look when we lose in the tourney (probably sweet 16). Then he will say blame him- not the players. Then he will disappear for 4-5 months. He may give a couple interviews to some softies that vet their questions to him in advance.

Arizona’s tempo is faster than us but their adjD is 5.

Reactions: ukjenning44
Part of the problem is it's really hard to stay in front of these fast guards on drives to the basket without bodying up to them and the way the Refs call these games your going to be on the bench in foul trouble, than you back off a little to give yourself a chance to contain the drive and boom down goes the three. I don't proclaim to know the answer to this problem is it zone, some other type man defense or a little of both. I know one thing I hate, it's to lose in March and our achilles heel is defense and the time to work on it is now.

He can say we are ranked 50 and that is unacceptable. In the last ten years no team has ranked that high and won the championship. Need to be 12 or better. Cal isn’t going to be the anomaly. More likely we see another A&M game that sends us home in the sweet 16.
You do know we are only at the halfway point of the season. Improvement will be made.

Get rid off him the spring PLEASE! another year would be torturous

Yeah, he also says he is not overpaid and there is no need to use the zone. Anyone want to buy a bottle of snake oil from Cal?

Reactions: crestcat
With the length and athleticism on this team there is no excuse not to have at least a top 20 defense.
Ding Ding....we have a winner. The size and speed on this team should equate to a much better defense than what we are seeing. Not to mention the basketball IQ which is higher I believe than other recent teams. Only thing I can figure is that we just do not work on it OR do not try to take pride in it. Whatever it is must change now or it will be another disappointing post-season.

Reactions: bbncal02
Where should you be and expect to make a run for the Championship? Top 25, Top 15?
What were the defensive numbers of the 4 final four teams from last year?

Where should you be and expect to make a run for the Championship? Top 25, Top 15?
What were the defensive numbers of the 4 final four teams from last year?

Usually each year you can pick about 6-8 teams and be reasonably confident that the title winner is coming from that grouping. The job is to be in that group.

I'm not necessarily line it lines up completely 100% with say a rating system like Kenpom which is based on efficiency margin but it would be close.

Houston, Arizona, Perdue, Auburn, UNC, Alabama, Uconn and Tenn.

That's the top 8 currently.

It wouldn't shock me if the season ended today if that's where the title came from

michael-jordan-lol.gif

And the thing is you can have these type of efficiency numbers and STILL have a great season.

A top 10 offense to go long with a top 50 defense and you are going to win a lot of games that season.

You could even win a title with these figures if the pieces fall together.

But yeah it's all about increasing it to make the final four run all the more likely.

The defense isn't bad.
The defense isn't where it really needs to be.

Both statements are true.
Don't use facts and common sense with this board... it'll really throw them off. Only opinions.. lol

He’s not defending the players. He’s using his usual smoke and mirrors snake oil excuses.
He needs to work on playing zone or other defenses with the players instead of telling them everything is ok because it’s not ok.

Zone defense is garbage in modern basketball. Even Syracuse, under their Boeheim-deciple coach, doesn't play zone anymore.

It's so easy to pick apart and offers too much space for shooters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT