ADVERTISEMENT

Article, Cal says defense isn’t that bad

ukjenning44

Junior
Nov 21, 2022
This is a prime example of why he will never make another FF. He won’t attempt to fix something if he doesn’t think anything is wrong. Even if he sees something wrong he doesn’t know how to make adjustments. He’s really clueless!

He literally says twice they need to get tougher, and there are things they need to get better at, and soon.

I didn’t take him saying we are top 50 like he was bragging about it, he was more or less saying it isn’t as bad as everyone is saying.
I just think he is defending the team a bit.

But again, he said they need to get better and will.

What else can he say?

Cal on UK defensive struggles
200w.gif

He literally says twice they need to get tougher, and there are things they need to get better at, and soon.

I didn’t take him saying we are top 50 like he was bragging about it, he was more or less saying it isn’t as bad as everyone is saying.

What else can he say?
He’s not defending the players. He’s using his usual smoke and mirrors snake oil excuses.
He needs to work on playing zone or other defenses with the players instead of telling them everything is ok because it’s not ok.

What else can he say?
You gotta understand the OP is the grand Pubah of the CHC.

This is a prime example of why he will never make another FF. He won’t attempt to fix something if he doesn’t think anything is wrong. Even if he sees something wrong he doesn’t know how to make adjustments. He’s really clueless!

Just have to asked do you wake every day looking for negative stuff to post about Cal? I believe the next positive article you post will be your first ever!

Sos
Help Me Swimming GIF by La Guarimba Film Festival

“I think our defense, we’re in the top 50 defensively, it’s not like we’re that bad,” Calipari said. “They offensive rebound on everybody.”

I mean he's not wrong technically lol
He's exactly right. It was top 50 before the A&M game and it's not bad. It's just not where it needs to be to make a Final Four.

But hey, let's not let facts get in the way of a good ole Cal bashing circle jerk.

He’s not defending the players. He’s using his usual smoke and mirrors snake oil excuses.
He needs to work on playing zone or other defenses with the players instead of telling them everything is ok because it’s not ok.
First r once be honest you will criticize whatever he says.. You just need to do

Reactions: the stat man
The 3 point defense the other day wasn’t that bad. They made a bunch of tough shots. But the straight line drives their guards were able to finish is what beat us. If Bradshaw is unable to alter or block any of those I’m not sure he needs to be on the floor. Play Ugo. Or better yet, go smaller and quicker so you can shut down some of those drives out on the floor.

Until the players start getting pissed off about getting beaten off the dribble and decide to stop that from happening, nothing will change.

Right now the individual players on the team have a HS mentality. They don’t get pissed when someone scores on them, they have the attitude that they can just outscore their opponent.

That doesn’t work at this level.

They need to take it personally when someone scores on them. They need to get pissed when someone gets an easy layup. They need to hunker down, get in a stance and outwork their opponents.

That’s the only way the defense improves.

Why doesn’t cal ever try to coach a zone with these young kids? Maybe take the pressure off them a little.
And before anyone says team would just bang three after three in, they already are so what’s the big deal to try.

Reactions: ala_kat2
We have a guy on the bench in Tyler Ulis who at 5’9” was a better defender at the highest level of college basketball than anyone we have on our current team. He was SEC defensive player of the year. Why isn’t he telling these guards they MUST get better? Why isn’t he showing them how? Is he just another Cal yes man?

Everyone wonders if Edwards will ever get it, I think when they do they are speaking of offense. His defense and rebounding are way behind his offense. His rotations and effort is terrible. Tre isn’t much better and our bigs are just soft. Not sure what can be done. Adou plays hard but he gets abused off the dribble. I’m not sure what Cal can do other than use the bench for motivation.

Last edited:
Just have to asked do you wake every day looking for negative stuff to post about Cal? I believe the next positive article you post will be your first ever!

JR i totally understand and will do my part to hold my tongue to the ones who do nothing but get on here to do nothing but bash Cal and some of the players, which gets really old
How’s that working out @the stat man.

Reactions: ukjenning44
He's exactly right. It was top 50 before the A&M game and it's not bad. It's just not where it needs to be to make a Final Four.

But hey, let's not let facts get in the way of a good ole Cal bashing circle jerk.

And the thing is you can have these type of efficiency numbers and STILL have a great season.

A top 10 offense to go long with a top 50 defense and you are going to win a lot of games that season.

You could even win a title with these figures if the pieces fall together.

But yeah it's all about increasing it to make the final four run all the more likely.

The defense isn't bad.
The defense isn't where it really needs to be.

Both statements are true.

What else can he say?
He can say we are ranked 50 and that is unacceptable. In the last ten years no team has ranked that high and won the championship. Need to be 12 or better. Cal isn’t going to be the anomaly. More likely we see another A&M game that sends us home in the sweet 16.

It's coach speak....just because he says defense isn't that bad, doesn't mean he believes it. He speaks and BBN reacts. Just like when Cal says that the NBA draft is more important than winning championships. Again, it's coach speak. Don't every believe him. Why would Cal not want to be successful? He 1000% wants to be successful. He's not stupid! Just because he says something doesn't mean he actually believes it.

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua
On March 12th, 2011 Uconn had ranks of 23rd and 27th with an overall efficiency margin of 21.50
On March 8th, 2014 they had ranks of 59th and 13th with an overall efficiency margin of 18.88i

It's January 15th, we are currently at 8th and 54th with an efficiency margin of 20.94

It's not likely to win a title from where UK is positioned but there's definitely time to improve and if they don't it's still a possiblity.

Reactions: wccat2969
When will everyone learn to take everything Cal says with a grain of salt

Remember back in 2008 when Cal kept insisting free throw shooting wasn’t an issue with his team, he didn’t need to make them practice e free throws, and they’ll hit them when they mattered?

Anyone remember how that championship game ended? I’m foggy

It's coach speak....just because he says defense isn't that bad, doesn't mean he believes it. He speaks and BBN reacts. Just like when Cal says that the NBA draft is more important than winning championships. Again, it's coach speak. Don't every believe him. Why would Cal not want to be successful? He 1000% wants to be successful. He's not stupid! Just because he says something doesn't mean he actually believes it.
No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

Remember back in 2008 when Cal kept insisting free throw shooting wasn’t an issue with his team, he didn’t need to make them practice e free throws, and they’ll hit them when they mattered?

Anyone remember how that championship game ended? I’m foggy
15 years later and people still don't understand what Cal was saying about this. He was saying his team needed to work on other things in practice, so they didn't use tons of organized practice time to teach free throws. It was up to the players to work on it during their own time.

With the length and athleticism on this team there is no excuse not to have at least a top 20 defense.
Heck. I’ll take a Top 30 defense at this point.

Cal uses this kinda of language when he knows he has a proble (Like the last couple of years with offense….”hey we’re not that bad”….all the while NBA folks and other analysts are going “yeah. You are”).

It’s surprising how raw we are on defense though. That’s usually a Cal cornerstone. It’s hard to comprehend why we’re struggling so much when we have great medial movement and speed in transition.

15 years later and people still don't understand what Cal was saying about this. He was saying his team needed to work on other things in practice, so they didn't use tons of organized practice time to teach free throws. It was up to the players to work on it during their own time.
I never understood the practicing FTs angle. It's called a FREE THROW for a reason. There should be no reason why any player can't hit 70% or better from the line. These guys have been playing all their life.

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
We have a guy on the bench in Tyler Ulis who at 5’9” was a better defender at the highest level of college basketball than anyone we have on our current team. He was SEC defensive player of the year. Why isn’t he telling these guards they MUST get better? Why isn’t he showing them how? Is he just another Cal yes man?
Because players are seldom drafted high for defense.
It's about getting players drafted, not Kentucky winning championships.
HE DOESNT CARE.

Pitino seemed to find plenty of time to coach FTs…

He probably will tell them, he’s just waiting on Cal to quit talking so he can get a word in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT