ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga is always overrated. Enough with giving them one seeds

That has nothing to do with what I asked. You stated that them never getting it done as a 1 seed should impact their future tournaments, when in fact the last time they were a 1 seed they played for it all. They have been a 1 or 2 seed 3 times now in the past 5 years and have made 2 Elite Eights and a Title Game. IMO, that means they actually do deserve consideration for a 1 seed.

Conveniently leaving off that they were a one seed in 2013 and got bounced in the second round.

If you’re “legit”, you got to beat someone better than a four seed sometime. Gonzaga’s postseason record against the top teams speaks for itself.

And their method has been exposed. Pile up wins in a garbage conference, play the weakest of the tourney til the good teams show up in the next round and boom, go home with the loss.

No more excuses. Beat someone good in the tourney and then you can say you’re legit. They don’t. What other legit team has failed to beat ones, twos, and three seeds?

Reactions: Rideordiewildcat
Few needs to start interrupting his conference schedule with power 5 teams in February. I think they get a false sense of how good they are. As did I, in my bracket. They are still a very good team.
And what power five teams are going to interrupt their schedule to play us in February? Why would they? What’s in it for them? It’s a two-way street.

The point is they have played 2 Top 30 teams in 3 and a half months and they lost the 2nd one. Of course, they have good players, but if you can never get it done or even get to the FF on a regular basis as a 1 seed is that really deserving the next year if the same scenario happens? They beat 1 good team all year before the tourney in Dook and lost to TN and UNC in their other 2 big nonconference matchups.

They have 1 FF and zero titles and have been looked at as good for a while now.
So just to be clear, you believe that seeding should be cumulative, based on previous year’s results? Because that does seem to be what you are implying.

We play Kansas most years in late January. Play a Big East team. I agree they may not.
Yes but Kentucky versus Kansas is P5 versus P5. We have tried to go and schedule major teams in January, they just will not do it. And I don’t blame them. Do you? We are stuck in a mediocre conference and there’s really nothing we can do about it. It is what it is.

That has nothing to do with what I asked. You stated that them never getting it done as a 1 seed should impact their future tournaments, when in fact the last time they were a 1 seed they played for it all. They have been a 1 or 2 seed 3 times now in the past 5 years and have made 2 Elite Eights and a Title Game. IMO, that means they actually do deserve consideration for a 1 seed.
You are using logic, common sense and reason. Knock it off

They went 1-2 in big non-conf games, didn’t play any other good teams. What makes them a one seed while Houston is a 3 and Buffalo a 6?

None of the resumes were that different.

Reactions: KingOfBBN
Agreed with the sentiment that Zags knock off one good team in non conference and then cruise to a 0-2 losses in that joke of a conference and they are constantly in line for 1-2 seeds all the time.

They either need to get out of that goofy conference and get into Pac 12 or be relegated to how we seed those American Conference teams (Houston, Cincy, Memphis, etc..)

Reactions: Samurai Cat
Agreed with the sentiment that Zags knock off one good team in non conference and then cruise to a 0-2 losses in that joke of a conference and they are constantly in line for 1-2 seeds all the time.

They either need to get out of that goofy conference and get into Pac 12 or be relegated to how we seed those American Conference teams (Houston, Cincy, Memphis, etc..)
You seed teams? Lucky

Conveniently leaving off that they were a one seed in 2013 and got bounced in the second round.

If you’re “legit”, you got to beat someone better than a four seed sometime. Gonzaga’s postseason record against the top teams speaks for itself.

And their method has been exposed. Pile up wins in a garbage conference, play the weakest of the tourney til the good teams show up in the next round and boom, go home with the loss.

No more excuses. Beat someone good in the tourney and then you can say you’re legit. They don’t. What other legit team has failed to beat ones, twos, and three seeds?
Thank you! I have fought this fight all dam year and don't care to anymore. I picked the Zags to get beat before the FF in all of my brackets including the Rafters Bracket Challenge because I knew that the Zags were overrated and would go down. I have TT in my FF in our Bracket Challenge. The Zags beat one good team this year, one! So no I didn't think they deserved a 1 seed after not even winning their own weak ass conference. Like I said though who cares. they lost and they are out of it like I expected. Just glad the cats are still going. Gotta take care of business tomorrow. Go Big Blue!

People keep mentioning that Gonzaga made the title game in 2017 and that proves their worth. But what’s not mentioned is how they got to the title game, there were upsets and they faced an 11 seed to get to the final four and a 7 seed to reach the title game.

Yet again weaker opponents paved the path, now that’s not Gonzaga’s fault but it also doesn’t prove their worth as a one seed either. So basically if they’re going to have success then it’s likely by benefit of avoiding elite teams.

People keep mentioning that Gonzaga made the title game in 2017 and that proves their worth. But what’s not mentioned is how they got to the title game, there were upsets and they faced an 11 seed to get to the final four and a 7 seed to reach the title game.

Yet again weaker opponents paved the path, now that’s not Gonzaga’s fault but it also doesn’t prove their worth as a one seed either. So basically if they’re going to have success then it’s likely by benefit of avoiding elite teams.

That's a fair point although that South Carolina team was playing really well.

They have had a 1 seed 3 times in their history. The last time they were a 1 seed prior to this year, they played in the title game. Not sure what you mean by not getting to the FF on a regular basis as a 1 seed.
They got the the title game via destroyed regions, beat an 11 seed to reach the final four and a 7 seed to make the title game. Now that’s not Gonzaga’s fault but it certainly doesn’t validate them earning a one seed because they played opponents who went above themselves to get to that point.

That's a fair point although that South Carolina team was playing really well.
True but teams like South Carolina can not sustain that level of play, hence the reason they were a seven seed. So they can go off to beat Duke but play far less impressive next week. Look how good Auburn has looked but you know as everyone does the wheels can come off their wagon and likely will before it’s over.

But isn't Duke elite in non-conference, or are you changing the narrative?
What??? I’m saying you got to beat multiple elites not 1 out of 3 if you’re in Gonzaga conference. Also need some top 30 wins. The conference duke it in had nothing to do with it.

Stop crying. If youre legit, you prove it in the tournament Zags. You didnt.
So making it to the elite eight, but not making the final four is the definition of proving ones “legitimacy”? So if you guys lose tomorrow, then you were not legit? I’m trying to understand your point.

So making it to the elite eight, but not making the final four is the definition of proving ones “legitimacy”? So if you guys lose tomorrow, then you were not legit? I’m trying to understand your point.
When you play a poor schedule that’s what happens, you don’t get to point to your regular season as proof you’re legit. That Gonzaga failed to live up to their seed there is no proof that they were legit.

Had Gonzaga played a challenging schedule then they would be considered a great team that got upset. You also claimed that Gonzaga’s conference was legit earlier this year but we all know that’s not true. That may have been another Zag poster claiming their conference was good.

When you play a poor schedule that’s what happens, you don’t get to point to your regular season as proof you’re legit. That Gonzaga failed to live up to their seed there is no proof that they were legit.

Had Gonzaga played a challenging schedule then they would be considered a great team that got upset. You also claimed that Gonzaga’s conference was legit earlier this year but we all know that’s not true.

Power 5 teams get upset all the time a single elimination basketball tournament is a crapshoot. I don’t think who you play during the season has much at all to do with it if a team hits double digit 3s you’re probably going home

Well, our standards are higher because we're Kentucky, and you're not.

Power 5 teams get upset all the time a single elimination basketball tournament is a crapshoot. I don’t think who you play during the season has much at all to do with it if a team hits double digit 3s you’re probably going home
So you don’t think what you do in the regular season proves how good you are? That’s my point that Gonzaga didn’t play a good enough schedule to verify their season and needed a good tourney run to do that. They failed to do it in the tournament too, not a lot of proof that Gonzaga is what some are claiming them to be.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul

Trying to compare a program like Kentucky who has been to seven elite 8s, beaten multiple one seeds, two seeds, and three seeds along the way isn’t at all comparable to a program who has one win over a three seed ever and no wins over ones (ever) or twos since 2000.

You gotta be bored to be over here arguing with a true blue blood right

You got a nice class coming in and petrusev is gonna be good maybe next year
Yes, the grieving phase is over. My wife and kids saw that I was heartbroken so that made me a pizza. LOL I have a severe masochistic streak that forces me to read several message boards of several teams. Yes, our incoming class next year is phenomenal, top five. Imagine how good it would be if we didn’t play in a cupcake conference.

I thought UNC was the over seeded team. They got their 1 seed because they beat Duke twice.

Should have been Michigan St. (won the Big 10 regular season and tourney) in the Midwest.

Works out for us because we would have been in the East with Duke tomorrow instead of playing Auburn.

I argued against Gonzaga getting a #1 and that's why I picked Texas Tech out of the West (finally nailed the West winner after several years of futility in that region so I'm happy with that). Losing to St. Mary's should've doomed them but the committee thought that early season Duke win was so important that it got them a top seed (which was a joke). If Tennessee had won the SEC that should've been their region. Wouldn't have had any issue giving that region to Michigan State either, although that could have sent us to play Duke in the East.

Trying to compare a program like Kentucky who has been to seven elite 8s, beaten multiple one seeds, two seeds, and three seeds along the way isn’t at all comparable to a program who has one win over a three seed ever and no wins over ones (ever) or twos since 2000.

They beat a AP #1 once and a AP #2 once in 20 years

Gonzaga vs. the AP Top 25 (since 1998–99)
Since the season of Gonzaga's 1999 NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament run to the Elite 8, Gonzaga has played a total of 93 games against teams ranked in the AP Top 25 Poll. Gonzaga has a record of 39–57 (.406) against such teams. They have beaten top-3 teams five times in all, taking down #3 teams three times (Missouri in 2003–04, and Georgia Tech and Oklahoma State in 2004–05), #2 once (North Carolina in 2006–07), and #1 once (Duke in 2018–19).

I wasn’t trying to do that at all. I was simply trying to see what his criteria was, if it was an equal standard for all teams or if it was weighted.
I’m not glad Gonzaga lost, but I’m glad your team lost.
Your post literally just made me LOL. It is so petty and trite. Me thinks you take yourself a wee bit too seriously. Good luck tomorrow but I don’t think you guys need it since Okeeke went down.

I wasn’t trying to do that at all. I was simply trying to see what his criteria was, if it was an equal standard for all teams or if it was weighted.

Your post literally just made me LOL. It is so petty and trite. Me thinks you take yourself a wee bit too seriously. Good luck tomorrow but I don’t think you guys need it since Okeeke went down.

What can I say, you’ve been a less than enjoyable guest.

Me thinks you take yourself a wee bit too seriously

Says the Zag fan posting on the Kentucky board six hours after his team lost to a Texas team.

Try this

nap_dv21095.jpg

So out of curiosity I went back and looked at Gonzaga’s elite eight of 2015 and yet again they got there via a busted region. They played an 11 seed to go to the E8 and then lost when the faced the 1 seed.

So of their threes E8’s in the last five years, two were courtesy of playing a double digit seed. The picture is getting clearer on when they will have success, play in their bad conference to get a top seed and if there’s upsets they’ll make a run.

The picture is getting clearer on when they will have success, play in their bad conference to get a top seed and if there’s upsets they’ll make a run.

The seeding problem starts with the polls. Zag's leapfrog teams that play in a tough conference because the poll voters almost always drop a team for a loss and almost never consider who they lost to and who the teams that pass them played.

After Zag's lost to UT & UNC in week 6 & 7, they dropped from 1st to 8th. From week 8 to week 19 they did not play another ranked team and climbed back to #1.

The polling punishes power conferences because of the unwritten rule that you don't drop unless you lose. So teams that beat the University of Basket Weavers on a glorified HS gym floor can pass a UK losing to UT or UNC losing to Duke in the polls.

Zag's were a good team but where would they have ranked if they had to play in the SEC, ACC or B10? I assure you they would have had more than 3 losses. With more than 3 losses, they aren't a 1 seed.

Maybe it all works out even if the poll voters are fools because the NCAAT shit's out the unworthy.

Reactions: Xception

I’m not conviently leaving off anything. Those who pay any attention to Gonzaga know that over the past few years, their influx of quality transfers, signing of 4 and 5 star guys out of high school and getting very good players from overseas has increased the talent on their roster drastically. They’re not throwing Dan Dickow and a bunch of scrubs out there anymore.

As for beating 1, 2 and 3 seeds, you do realize that this was the 1st year they have lost to a 1, 2 or 3 seed when being seeded higher than them? Here were their seeds when losing to a top 4 seeded team:

2001 - 12 seed, lost to #1 Michigan State
2003 - 9 seed, lost to #1 Arizona
2006 - 3 seed, lost to #2 UCLA (National Runner-Up)
2009 - 4 seed, lost to #1 seed UNC (National Champion)
2010 - 8 seed, lost to #1 seed Syracuse
2011 - 11 seed, lost to #3 seed BYU
2012 - 7 seed, lost to # 2 seed Ohio State
2014 - 8 seed, lost to #1 seed Arizona
2015 - 2 seed, lost to #1 seed Duke (National Champion)
2016 - 11 seed, lost to #3 seed Utah
2017 - 1 seed, lost to #1 seed UNC (National Champion)
2019 - 1 seed, lost to # 3 seed Texas Tech

So, of the 12 years they have lost to a top 4 seed, they have been the higher seed 1 time (yesterday). And we should punish them for that?

Reactions: ukalum
The seeding problem starts with the polls. Zag's leapfrog teams that play in a tough conference because the poll voters almost always drop a team for a loss and almost never consider who they lost to and who the teams that pass them played.

After Zag's lost to UT & UNC in week 6 & 7, they dropped from 1st to 8th. From week 8 to week 19 they did not play another ranked team and climbed back to #1.

The polling punishes power conferences because of the unwritten rule that you don't drop unless you lose. So teams that beat the University of Basket Weavers on a glorified HS gym floor can pass a UK losing to UT or UNC losing to Duke in the polls.

Zag's were a good team but where would they have ranked if they had to play in the SEC, ACC or B10? I assure you they would have had more than 3 losses. With more than 3 losses, they aren't a 1 seed.

Maybe it all works out even if the poll voters are fools because the NCAAT shit's out the unworthy.
With more than 3 losses, playing in the SEC, ACC or B10, they absolutely could have been a 1 seed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT