ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

Watching the Solheim Cup[banana]

Lexi just drove the green on #1, Kerr made the eagle putt

Good for Lexi Thompson. It's the first time her mother has seen her play since going through cancer treatment. She was down 3 after 10 and has holed hot from the fairway to win a hole and just drilled a long eagle to make it even.

This picture is amazing. Look at how much of a turn back Johnson gets with his shoulders. Unreal.

2_dj.jpg

This picture is amazing. Look at how much of a turn back Johnson gets with his shoulders. Unreal.

2_dj.jpg
Probably more incredible is how far John Daly turns his shoulders. Dude has been out of shape most of his life yet was just born with an incredible natural ability to make elite golf swing movements.

Last edited:
Daly recalls time he asked Tiger to join him for a beer

daly_1920_bridges05_woods.jpg

It was during the 2004 Target World Challenge and Daly had just completed the Wednesday pro-am with some friends and was in the clubhouse drinking and telling stories whenTiger Woodswalked into the room.

“Tiger’s there in his workout clothes and I said, ‘Tiger come have a beer with us, man,’” Daly recalls.

Woods declined, explaining that he was bound for the gym and one of his ubiquitous workout sessions. Daly persisted, “I go, ‘Man, you don’t need to work out. You need to drink a little bit with us.’”

Woods’ answer is the stuff of legend.

“He said, ‘If I had your talent I’d be doing the same thing you’re doing,’” Daly says. “I’m looking at him thinking 'you’re crazy, man.'”

Daly got so much publicity for his length but his hands are the stuff of legends. Crazy good touch.

Saw him on the golf channel the other night and he talked about how he would move his index and middle finger on his right hand down the club to avoid turning his hand over or getting "handsy". Said he had a huge draw and moving those fingers down the grip helped him avoid hooks. I probably didn't give a good explanation of what he did so i included a picture. Thought it was pretty interesting

ict16020_daly_pitch_hands_tip_0.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Bucket list courses that you have crossed off your list?

I always wanted to play Bethpage Black, until I was lucky enough to play it this past Tuesday. We arrived early, but honestly it was very easy to get on. The RED course was much more packed and far more difficult to get access on this day. I am currently a 15 HCP so I am not really a good golfer or in good enough shape to walk that beast like we did in the heat and humidity. By the time we made the turn the fun (nostalgia of being there) was over and the grind was on. We played it way up (white tees) and it is just unforgiving especially given my skill level, missed fairway was death given the ridiculous rough and bunkers were everywhere. Looking back the 50-100 yards to the tourney tees on most holes from where we played I could not imagine having to score from back there. It is easy to see why even pros would struggle to shoot under par.

It was a $130 kick in the balls, and I am glad to have done it. Anyone else been able to cross off any classic courses this year?

I always wanted to play Bethpage Black, until I was lucky enough to play it this past Tuesday. We arrived early, but honestly it was very easy to get on. The RED course was much more packed and far more difficult to get access on this day. I am currently a 15 HCP so I am not really a good golfer or in good enough shape to walk that beast like we did in the heat and humidity. By the time we made the turn the fun (nostalgia of being there) was over and the grind was on. We played it way up (white tees) and it is just unforgiving especially given my skill level, missed fairway was death given the ridiculous rough and bunkers were everywhere. Looking back the 50-100 yards to the tourney tees on most holes from where we played I could not imagine having to score from back there. It is easy to see why even pros would struggle to shoot under par.

It was a $130 kick in the balls, and I am glad to have done it. Anyone else been able to cross off any classic courses this year?

Got to go out and play Torrey Pines this year and wow what an experience. Was lucky enough to be the second group off one morning and it couldn't have been any better. Absolutely perfect weather and it seemed like every spot on the golf course you could turn and see the ocean and cliffs. Definitely a special feeling playing courses where the greats have played and walked. I found myself on a few holes thinking- This is where Tiger hit this shot or I can't believe Tiger walked up this same exact fairway like I'm doing now. I was also fortunate enough to play with 3 locals who were all pretty good (one who tried to make the tour and is now a pro at one of the courses out there) and they would occasionally fill me in on who hit what shot on what hole. I didn't realize that at Torrey you don't even have the option of tipping it out. They have no tees back there and the locals said if they catch you playing back there they'll come out and kick you off (idk if its true or not). The former pro said he had played the tips twice. Both the Monday after a tournament where they have a lottery for people to get to play the course in a tournament set up. Said he was unable to break 80 either time and only one person in the group did out of 4 scratch golfers (79 or 78). Shows you just how good those guys on tour are to be able to shoot the scores they do.

Definitely an unbelievable experience and so thankful I was able to do it. Something I won't forget.

Taylor Made released a new app yesterday, myRoundPro. It has GPS and score capabilities but is made for those who want to track as many stats as possible. I'm going to use it for a round this weekend and see how it works on the course.

Taylor Made released a new app yesterday, myRoundPro. It has GPS and score capabilities but is made for those who want to track as many stats as possible. I'm going to use it for a round this weekend and see how it works on the course.

Is it free or do you have to pay?

Tobacco Road

Pine Needles

Mid Pines

Pinehurst #2

Reactions: anon_aawvduncd4ay0
Killa & I played 4 Rounds (one practice) at Pine Needles in the Southern Jr Am back in the day, the week after the US Women's Open was held there.

I played w/ Bryce Molder one round. Charles Howell won w/ a 65/67/63. Was 9 under after 10 on the final round...kid was such a prodigy -- he's really done nothing compared to his talent level.

Was reading an article about it the other day, apparently there have been lots of improvements.

Reactions: _Chase_
Buddy of mine played Oakmont a few weeks ago. Said it was one of the coolest experiences of his golfing career. Just an old school club, down to the minute details in the clubhouse/locker room. Definitely on my bucket list. I read that you can play in a charity event there for $4k per foursome. That's actually probably a pretty good gig, as I'm sure the swag bag/dinner/etc. is pretty over the top. Might have to look into that someday.

Really want to head out to Oregon and play the Bandon courses. There are 3 of 4 of them now, and they are all just phenomenal.

I'm probably late to the party here, but Foreplay is a pretty damn good golf podcast by Bar Stool Sports. Sometimes it seems like the guys cuss just to cuss, which sounds a little cringy at times, but other than that it's pretty great. They'll often have a tour guy on there for a long interview, and they get much more out of those guys than any other media.

Reactions: TruBluCatFan
Killa & I played 4 Rounds (one practice) at Pine Needles in the Southern Jr Am back in the day, the week after the US Women's Open was held there.

I played w/ Bryce Molder one round. Charles Howell won w/ a 65/67/63. Was 9 under after 10 on the final round...kid was such a prodigy -- he's really done nothing compared to his talent level.

Was reading an article about it the other day, apparently there have been lots of improvements.

Love that course. And the whole feel of the place.

It's been fun watching Speith and DJ go back and forth today. Jordan was up 5 at one point. Going to a playoff now.

Been fortunate enough over the years to play some stellar courses thanks to job, friends with benefits, and travel points...

Kapalua
Wailea
Torrey
TPC Sawgrass
Ocean Hammock
Kelly Plantation
Orange Co. National
Innisbrook
TPC Sugarloaf

Reactions: anon_aawvduncd4ay0
Quick thoughts from a 15 HCP coming out of first ever real competition in a very small time Club Championship.

It is amazing the pressure or just different feel the game has when you are not playing with your normal group. From the first tee shot with 15-25 guys on the tee box where I was damn near praying to get it past the ladies tees, to the full putt out rules I didn't even settle down for a few holes. I quickly realized the much too generous 3 foot gimme putts that I receive and give in my normal game are hard is shit and take concentration to consistently hole. I saw players better than me fold like a lawn chair and had my share of WTF moments. Took an 8 on one hole and really have no idea how it happened, hit a couple bad shots, went full idiot mode and everything compounded. Managed a smooth 92 and 91, so I was at least consistent. Props to any player that wins an event against any level of real competition, it's just a different game when "something" even a shitty fifth flight win is on the line.

Been fortunate enough over the years to play some stellar courses thanks to job, friends with benefits, and travel points...

Kapalua
Wailea
Torrey
TPC Sawgrass
Ocean Hammock
Kelly Plantation
Orange Co. National
Innisbrook
TPC Sugarloaf

So which one of these did you throw your clubs off the bridge and into the drink?

Quick thoughts from a 15 HCP coming out of first ever real competition in a very small time Club Championship.

It is amazing the pressure or just different feel the game has when you are not playing with your normal group. From the first tee shot with 15-25 guys on the tee box where I was damn near praying to get it past the ladies tees, to the full putt out rules I didn't even settle down for a few holes. I quickly realized the much too generous 3 foot gimme putts that I receive and give in my normal game are hard is shit and take concentration to consistently hole. I saw players better than me fold like a lawn chair and had my share of WTF moments. Took an 8 on one hole and really have no idea how it happened, hit a couple bad shots, went full idiot mode and everything compounded. Managed a smooth 92 and 91, so I was at least consistent. Props to any player that wins an event against any level of real competition, it's just a different game when "something" even a shitty fifth flight win is on the line.
Bobby Jones had it right: "There is golf and then there is tournament golf"

And Furyk should be nowhere near the Ryder Cup team, but we see how that worked out.

10-20-4

12 total points won in 38 matches. Yeah, that's the guy I want leading our young guys. F*cking morons.

[sick]

And Furyk should be nowhere near the Ryder Cup team, but we see how that worked out.

10-20-4

12 total points won in 38 matches. Yeah, that's the guy I want leading our young guys. F*cking morons.

[sick]
Once again the pick is more "it's his turn" than anything else. The only thing that can explain this pick.

Interesting since 1999 the last 3 USA winning Ryder Cup Captains have had lower than 50% win percentage in the Ryder Cup while the majority of the losing USA captains had 50% plus winning %.

Reactions: TruBluCatFan
Has anyone ever putted w/ a Boccieri Heavy Putter?

...or have any recs on heavy (or heavy putting) weapons? My Cameron & Crown is the prettiest golf club I've ever owned, but it's time to admit it's not a fit for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT