ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

Trump to play in LIV proam with Bryson and Johnson
FYugckBXgAAL1I-

Louise?
FYwFlajUcAAT4cY

Trump hates the PGA Tour

Yep. Although the PGA of America is not the PGA Tour. Either way, they took the tournament from his course and he's butthurt about it.

The PGA of America is moving on from President Donald Trump, announcing Sunday in a statement that it will relocate the 2022 PGA Championship scheduled for the New York City suburbs at Trump National Golf Club Bedminster.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/30689392/2022-pga-championship-leaving-trump-national

Yep. Although the PGA of America is not the PGA Tour. Either way, they took the tournament from his course and he's butthurt about it.

The PGA of America is moving on from President Donald Trump, announcing Sunday in a statement that it will relocate the 2022 PGA Championship scheduled for the New York City suburbs at Trump National Golf Club Bedminster.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/30689392/2022-pga-championship-leaving-trump-national
The woke PGA is history. Monaghan should have been fired the minute he wouldn’t take Normans call. The PGA is the small dog in the room but LIV is the pit bull. The PGA represents old men who organizes golf tourney. Golfers should be able to play anywhere in the world On any tour they want.

1. The Tour is actually not that woke. I do think f'ing with Trump was a bad move on Jay's part. But overall, they're mostly conservative type folks and as far as I know from the wife, haven't pushed anything on their employees that she considers woke. And she's part of the diversity team so should would know.

2. The Tour may not be able to match the Saudis on dollars but they have way more on their side for people that can help influence. Wouldn't call them done but do think it's getting tougher for them than they originally thought.

3. Greg Norman is an old man that greatly benefited from playing on the Tour and that's the only reason you and I know his name.

4. I can't go work for another company that competes with mine and draw two paychecks. One of them would fire me. I am looking at another job that has a non-compete. I would enter an agreement knowing that if I sign a non-compete, I may not be able to quit and work for a competitor. The Tour players were told what would happen if they left for LIV. They made their decisions. No one forced them to go (I think they're happy DJ left because they had to stay on top of drug testing him all the time).

5. We're still talking mostly about 1%'ers. I'm sorry but I just can't bring myself to feign enough outrage over Brooks Koepka being able to sign a multi-million dollar deal on a competing tour and not eligible for to play in the Tour championship. His call and his decision to live with.

6. Keep in mind the Tour hasn't completely shut the door on anyone's face. Right or wrong, they strategically left an opening by indefinitely suspending. I'm sure as these two tours jockey for position, both will end up pulling some shit that contradicts a previous position. Remember, this isn't about preserving golf or growing the game - it's about wealthy people wanting to control a wealthy sport. They both want full control of golf and both would bury the other if they could and keep all the money for themselves.

1. The Tour is actually not that woke. I do think f'ing with Trump was a bad move on Jay's part. But overall, they're mostly conservative type folks and as far as I know from the wife, haven't pushed anything on their employees that she considers woke. And she's part of the diversity team so should would know.

2. The Tour may not be able to match the Saudis on dollars but they have way more on their side for people that can help influence. Wouldn't call them done but do think it's getting tougher for them than they originally thought.

3. Greg Norman is an old man that greatly benefited from playing on the Tour and that's the only reason you and I know his name.

4. I can't go work for another company that competes with mine and draw two paychecks. One of them would fire me. I am looking at another job that has a non-compete. I would enter an agreement knowing that if I sign a non-compete, I may not be able to quit and work for a competitor. The Tour players were told what would happen if they left for LIV. They made their decisions. No one forced them to go (I think they're happy DJ left because they had to stay on top of drug testing him all the time).

5. We're still talking mostly about 1%'ers. I'm sorry but I just can't bring myself to feign enough outrage over Brooks Koepka being able to sign a multi-million dollar deal on a competing tour and not eligible for to play in the Tour championship. His call and his decision to live with.

6. Keep in mind the Tour hasn't completely shut the door on anyone's face. Right or wrong, they strategically left an opening by indefinitely suspending. I'm sure as these two tours jockey for position, both will end up pulling some shit that contradicts a previous position. Remember, this isn't about preserving golf or growing the game - it's about wealthy people wanting to control a wealthy sport. They both want full control of golf and both would bury the other if they could and keep all the money for themselves.
The players work for themselves not the PGA. It’s all about money for both. The 120 souls that play on the PGA had to pay for that right just like any college golfer that wants to play. Q School cost at a minimum costs 20,000 since in reality it’s not one but three Q Schools you have to play. Then if you come up short and decide to play Korn Ferry, it’s 1000’s a week with no guarantees. The players are not exempt from paying entry fees which used to be 500.00 a tourney.

LIV gives contracts to play just like every other sport. The PGA wants to be this holier than thou Institution but in reality they are simply a golf tourney organizatio. Every tourney another 2-3 players leave and it’s just a matter of time before their product will suffer. The Open Champion will be next because he will be loyal to Norman. And as for Norman, he like most golfers sees the growth for golf is not in the USA, but is in ASIA and the Middle East. I read that 79% of all new golf courses are located in China, Thailand, and Saudi. Since it’s all about money then LIV gets it.

The players work for themselves not the PGA. It’s all about money for both. The 120 souls that play on the PGA had to pay for that right just like any college golfer that wants to play. Q School cost at a minimum costs 20,000 since in reality it’s not one but three Q Schools you have to play. Then if you come up short and decide to play Korn Ferry, it’s 1000’s a week with no guarantees. The players are not exempt from paying entry fees which used to be 500.00 a tourney.

LIV gives contracts to play just like every other sport. The PGA wants to be this holier than thou Institution but in reality they are simply a golf tourney organizatio. Every tourney another 2-3 players leave and it’s just a matter of time before their product will suffer. The Open Champion will be next because he will be loyal to Norman. And as for Norman, he like most golfers sees the growth for golf is not in the USA, but is in ASIA and the Middle East. I read that 79% of all new golf courses are located in China, Thailand, and Saudi. Since it’s all about money then LIV gets it.

Correct. So you're complaint is they have to basically intern before getting a shot in the big leagues? Again, couldn't GAF less about that struggle. Took me years to get to making a lot more money. Maybe take a peek at how LIV has treated the nobodies they got from the KF tour. They aren't doing what they're doing to help the little guy.

The Tour is a not-for-profit business. Everything left is donated to charity. Not arguing what LIV is doing couldn't be successful enough to bury the Tour but lets not pretend like they're doing this to not turn a profit. So why hold one accountable to a standard but not the other?

Also, PGA Tour is global and not sure if already or will be soon but they'll have more of the Asian tours under their umbrella.

I can see this is going to be a battle and not settled soon. But FFS lets stop looking at Norman as some savior of golf. He's doing this for himself and his legacy. He obviously gives zero f's of what helped him get him to where he can do this off of his name recognition.

I predict Jay will be fired or resign in the next year. LIV/Saudis appear to have infinite resources and will eventually get most of the PGA Tour’s best talent to take the money.

I predict Jay will be fired or resign in the next year. LIV/Saudis appear to have infinite resources and will eventually get most of the PGA Tour’s best talent to take the money.

There is one "major" decision that can put an end to all of this, and no idea why it isn't being discussed. If the majors say PGAT/DP only, then that puts an end to LIV for good, unless those players have no desire to play in majors.

The players work for themselves not the PGA.

Semantics....you want the PGAT Card, then you abide by their rules.....just like I do at a country club that takes my dues. If one of the rules is that you aren't allowed to play in other organizations tour events unless given approval, then so be it.

I think the LIV tour is a joke tour but I think only the Masters and PGA Championship are the only ones that could completely exclude LIV players. By their own definition the US Open and British Open are open qualifications and I am not sure how they could prevent the LIV golfers from going thru qualifying tournaments to make it. They don't have to honor their exemptions but your would think they could not prevent them from qualifying.

Reactions: Tskware
I think the LIV tour is a joke tour but I think only the Masters and PGA Championship are the only ones that could completely exclude LIV players. By their own definition the US Open and British Open are open qualifications and I am not sure how they could prevent the LIV golfers from going thru qualifying tournaments to make it. They don't have to honor their exemptions but your would think they could not prevent them from qualifying.

This is correct. The Masters didn't invite Norman this year. Even if you qualify, they still have to invite you.

There were apparently some modifications the qualifications that will allow them to pick and choose for the US open next year..

This is correct. The Masters didn't invite Norman this year. Even if you qualify, they still have to invite you.

There were apparently some modifications the qualifications that will allow them to pick and choose for the US open next year..
Norman was disinvited from the British Open. Norman isn’t a past Masters Champ so he wouldn’t have been give an invite.

Agree. One question I would like to hear asked of Jay is: you are spending PGA Tour money to lobby the President and Congress. What is the result you are wanting? Evidently not one tour player or Golf Channel personal is curious either.

Massive crowd at the LIV event. "Let's go Brandon" cheers ringing through the hollers.

LIV committing 100M to grow the game amongst kids.

Not sure if true, but was told the weekly winnings were deducted from the contracts, meaning that if you signed for 50 million and won 3 million this week, you don't really get the 3 million as that is deducted from the 50 million. So basically the contracts are an "advance." Again, not sure that's true but seems plausible. I think this thing is going to make it and I believe Norman has already said "no chance" they combine with or work things out with the PGA.

Henrick wins in his first event out. 4.375M. Interviewed he said "I guess we can agree that I played like a captain." lol

Let the rumors start that they scripted Henrik to win on purpose begin.

Dustin makes a downhill breaker from 12 or so feet on 18 for an extra 500Kish.

Last edited:
A couple of weeks ago, we had a friendly discussion about the Old Course and whether it is a good test for the modern pros.

Well, this week, the ladies play at Muirfield, first time ever hosting the womens' British Open. Anyone want to guess what the winning score will be? Scottish Open yesterday was -21 (a rookie from Japan shot 62 to win). As I post this, I have not checked the weather, nor do I know what length the ladies will play, but I would guess -10 would be a hell of a score at Muirfield.

I know Stenson is a name but he is also a has-been.Good for him getting his money but the win does not legitimize the competition.

2021-2022 13 PGA starts, 4 cuts made, includes majors
2020-2021 18 PGA starts, 6 cuts made, includes majors

Because they are independent contractors. No different than anyone else

Not entirely true....when you sign w/ the PGAT after getting your card, you agree to their rules and by-laws. If they don't want to play by the PGAT rules, they are free to seek life elsewhere.

Reactions: bigbluedon
Just a reminder of deferred money the PGA funds. I think they've benefited greatly for their performance.

Mickelson had $8.6 mill Fed Ex Cup Bonus
Oosthuizen 2.2 mill Fed Ex Cup Bonus
Dustin 25 million in Fed Ex Cup Bonus money, a lot paid straight out
Stenson 13.7 million

From 2016, it was assumed players received $4,000 for each of the first 15 cuts and $8,000 for each cut above 15. That seems to be a fair average for a number that has fluctuated. (The PGA Tour said it could not comment on any individual player's deferred income plan because of privacy issues and would not say which figures are too high or too low.)
The FedEx Cup bonus pool is $35 million annually. The top-10 finishers get anywhere from 90 percent to 40 percent of their money upfront and the rest deferred, the tour says. Those outside the top 10 have all their money deferred. When Woods won the first FedEx Cup, in 2007, all of his $10 million was deferred. That rule changed the next year, so when he won again in 2009, he got $9 million upfront and $1 million deferred.

Finau on a hot streak. Good to see him having some success. Too talented to not have won more plus by all accounts is a really good guy. Just wonder if LIV will poach him next to stick the dagger in the PGA some more. Speaking of LIV, do they care at all about making a profit? I can't imagine paying out these obscene contracts and purse money with no tv deal, etc. is a good financial investment. I mean, I know the Saudis have more than enough money to keep them occupied but still....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT