ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

I have volunteered at the Barbasol. Unless things have changed substantially, I can understand why they struggle to get volunteers.

I think you mentioned previously how disorganized it was the first year, and I don't doubt it. But I know lots of people that have volunteered for two or three years now, in a number of capacities, and they really like it, but getting 1200 or so people to volunteer for four or five days is a tall task. I am a prime example, I love my club and the event, but hell, I also have a full time job, I can't take off several days just to be a scorekeeper or monitor the driving range.

I have volunteered at the Barbasol. Unless things have changed substantially, I can understand why they struggle to get volunteers.

Same. There were people leaving their assigned holes to go watch other holes, work tee boxes to get close, etc.

Another Barbasol...another delay.

I said that from the very beginning, there is a chance of thunderstorms every day in July in central Ky, they will be lucky to ever get a four day tournament played here this time of year without a major delay.

OT a bit, same thing happened in 2014 at the PGA in Louisville although that was in August, it poured like crazy on Sunday, causing a 2 or 3 hour delay, which is why they did not finish after just about dark.

Reactions: KYExtemper
^^^if the forecast for tomorrow morning holds true, we're looking at a 54 hole event this year. There won't be a Monday finish w/ the British next week.

^^^if the forecast for tomorrow morning holds true, we're looking at a 54 hole event this year. There won't be a Monday finish w/ the British next week.

Absolutely, come hell or high water (which is a possibility), they will get done Sunday evening.

Basic scoring question for a casual/newer player:

Is a ball out of bounds treated the same as a ball that isn’t found? 2 stroke penalty and can move the ball to the fairway (within 2 club links of the fairway from where it was lost/went out of bounds) no closer to the hole? Also, have the option under either of taking same penalty and going back to the place where the original ball was played?

Basic scoring question for a casual/newer player:

Is a ball out of bounds treated the same as a ball that isn’t found? 2 stroke penalty and can move the ball to the fairway (within 2 club links of the fairway from where it was lost/went out of bounds) no closer to the hole? Also, have the option under either of taking same penalty and going back to the place where the original ball was played?
Dropping anywhere is not an option for either of your scenarios. If it is OB or lost it must be replayed from last position and incur a 1 stroke penalty.

Dropping anywhere is not an option for either of your scenarios. If it is OB or lost it must be replayed from last position and incur a 1 stroke penalty.
I thought they changed the rules for non tournaments or casual players or something?

Heard that was another long weather delay at the Barbasol today. Every year there's weather problems at that tournament, which was a big reason I decided not to attend this year. Had a good time last year on Thursday but had to get out of dodge by 2 p.m. to avoid a thunderstorm that rolled through.

Heard that was another long weather delay at the Barbasol today. Every year there's weather problems at that tournament, which was a big reason I decided not to attend this year. Had a good time last year on Thursday but had to get out of dodge by 2 p.m. to avoid a thunderstorm that rolled through.
Yesterday was almost a total wash out I think weather alone will kill this event if they don't start getting a break.

Looks perfect today though and I'm sure they'll get finished

Matti Schmid will be the one to beat. Did not know he was the low Am at the British Open 2 years ago and DP tour rookie of the year last year

EDIT: And just saw the weather report, perfect golf weather the next four days, just as the Barbasol wraps up. :(

Last edited:
Matti Schmid will be the one to beat. Did not know he was the low Am at the British Open 2 years ago and DP tour rookie of the year last year

He may still sneak up there but he has never won at any level. Streelman's experience/PGA tour winner will help, and Mullinax has won on the KF tour.

Also keep an eye on Matti Schmid of Germany, who was the DP Tour Rookie of the year in 2021, but played at Louisville. Should have a decent chance I would think.
Hope he got a face full of sand in his eyes if he played at UofL.

Did somebody really get an 8 on 14?
Must have been the group in front of Streelman and Mullinax the guy took forever after he hit the ball in the weeds and seemed like took him 20 minutes to play the hole

Good rounds of Lex golf this weekend, Kearney, Lex CC and Cherry Blossom. Lex CC, while I did not play from the tips, it did not seem that difficult. Do the trees com into play more pronounced from farther back?

He may still sneak up there but he has never won at any level. Streelman's experience/PGA tour winner will help, and Mullinax has won on the KF tour.
That was a good call by you. Schmid was in trouble off the tee on nearly every hole in the last round in route to a 77

By the way, had by far the best one day attendance yesterday that I have seen, probably 50% better than last year. And everyone leaving was really excited about the tournament and its finish (was a 4 way tie on the back nine at one point)

Would be interesting to see what happens if we got decent weather for a change, I honestly don't think the quality of the field makes that much of a difference, most fans there are just golf fans, all the players are pros, hell, they all look amazing to most of us. :cool:

Last edited:
DOJ now involved, investigating the PGA. Biden will probably hook his new best friend in Saudi up by punishing the PGA, right before he pathetically begs him to pump more oil.

Last edited:
Reactions: wkycatfan
I currently have a 2012 Yamaha Golf cart that I bought a couple of years ago. I am considering trading it to get a 4 seater that we can not only use for golf but when we are camping as well. Any suggestions on the best place to get a good deal on a new Yamaha or Club Car? I would be willing to go anywhere in east KY or TN if it's worth the travel.

I currently have a 2012 Yamaha Golf cart that I bought a couple of years ago. I am considering trading it to get a 4 seater that we can not only use for golf but when we are camping as well. Any suggestions on the best place to get a good deal on a new Yamaha or Club Car? I would be willing to go anywhere in east KY or TN if it's worth the travel.
Why not just buy a rear seat?

By accident, I lowered my hands on the putting green and putted lights out this weekend. Really was hitting my putts solidly.

Then this AM, went to the range and lowered my hands so that the butt end of the club pointed to my belt buckle with every club.

Eureka! I hit the ball much more solidly with nearly every club.

So . . . . I am currently about a 12, but fully expect to be a 4 or 5 HCP by this weekend, or next weekend at the latest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT