ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

I don't get it. These 11 wanted to leave the PGA Tour, now they don't? What is the real motive here?
Mickelson even said in the beginning that he was using the Saudi Tour for leverage to open up the PGA's pockets.. There's no telling where this will end.

One of the golf writers (can't remember which one) said yesterday that this court case isn't really the big one. The big one will be the one on world ranking points.

Reactions: CAT Scratch FVR
Both the PGA Tour and the players who left want to operate in the most hypocritical manner possible. There really isn't a side to "root" for. The majors being their own entities (and not being under any tour umbrella) is one of the few saving graces in all of this.
Disagree.....not sure how the PGAT is acting hypocritical. They are sticking to the rules they had set forth from day one.

And the majors are definitely under the PGAT umbrella, although not in the sense you are stating. Very doubtful any of them will be the black sheep and stray from what the PGAT does, especially given the comments by their head honchos.

Yes, the tour is also hypocritical. If players are employees then there are serious issues with the Tour’s non-profit status and the manner that money is disbursed (a sham to be talked about some other time). If players are independent contractors then there seems to be issues with the “non-profit” walking anti-trust/collusion lines.

The majors have already “strayed”.

The PGA Tour should just let these guys go, and concentrate on world ranking points. Lots of Korn Ferry guys are languishing down there and can play. Next man up.

Anyone on here played Valhalla in the past few months? I think I have an opportunity to in a couple weeks, but had someone tell recently that it's in horrible shape. I'm probably going to play either way, but just want to know what to expect going in.

^
Not recently but the first time I ever played it was 8 or 9 years ago and it was so bad the PGA closed it two weeks later, was a real disappointment.

OTOH, played twice last summer and was in great shape both times.

Regardless of the condition, it is a very difficult course, at least IMO.

Reactions: AthensCatFan
Golf gambling question:

I am up a hole in match play headed to the 18th tee, playing for $20.

Opponent presses me. If he wins, he owes nothing. But if he loses the hole, does he owe $40? If we push on 18, does he owe $40, or $20?

I always played that the presser had to win, or pays double.

What say the golf thread?

Golf gambling question:

I am up a hole in match play headed to the 18th tee, playing for $20.

Opponent presses me. If he wins, he owes nothing. But if he loses the hole, does he owe $40? If we push on 18, does he owe $40, or $20?

I always played that the presser had to win, or pays double.

What say the golf thread?
You just made another $20 bet. Tied hole
Means you win original $20. You win hole $40. He wins hole, you tie original bet and he wins $20 press. I wouldn’t let somebody press me with one hole left in hole play for any real money. You’ve outplayed them for 17 holes and are giving them a chance to negate that on one hole. If they wanna press with 4 or 5 holes left sure.

Last edited:
You just made another $20 bet. Tied hole
Means you win original $20. You win hole $40. He wins no money changes hands. I wouldn’t let somebody press me with one hole left in hole play for any real money. You’ve outplayed them for 17 holes and are giving them a chance to negate that on one hole. If they wanna press with 4 or 5 holes left sure.

How can he "press" when he's down 1 with one to go and can't win? You can't double a bet that you have no chance of winning, lol. I mean you can, but you're a complete idiot for making the last hole worth $ 40 when the best you can do is tie and get off even. Pressing there basically means the leader can win $ 40, but you might lose $ 40 instead of $ 20 with ZERO chance of winning anything.

How can he "press" when he's down 1 with one to go and can't win? You can't double a bet that you have no chance of winning, lol. I mean you can, but you're a complete idiot for making the last hole worth $ 40 when the best you can do is tie and get off even. Pressing there basically means the leader can win $ 40, but you might lose $ 40 instead of $ 20 with ZERO chance of winning anything.

Yes. I misspoke. If other guy is one hole down and wins hole then he wins press bet and ties original so he would win $20. I wasn’t thinking about the one hole down part. I assume the original bet was $20 for the 18 match play. I changed my original post.

Last edited:
Yes. I misspoke. If other guy is one hole down and wins hole then he wins press bet and ties original so he would win $20. I wasn’t thinking about the one hole down part. I assume the original bet was $20 for the 18 match play. I changed my original post.
I guess some "press" different than others. With everyone I've ever played with, you don't "press" unless you are already down a dollar amount. If you are down 1 hole with one to go, you are not down a dollar amount and can't press.

I guess some "press" different than others. With everyone I've ever played with, you don't "press" unless you are already down a dollar amount. If you are down 1 hole with one to go, you are not down a dollar amount and can't press.

Yeah. Typically when we played it was a stroke play game. And if somebody was down a number of strokes they were highly unlikely to make up then they could offer up a press. But you weren’t obligated to take it.

A couple of weeks ago, we had a friendly discussion about the Old Course and whether it is a good test for the modern pros.

Well, this week, the ladies play at Muirfield, first time ever hosting the womens' British Open. Anyone want to guess what the winning score will be? Scottish Open yesterday was -21 (a rookie from Japan shot 62 to win). As I post this, I have not checked the weather, nor do I know what length the ladies will play, but I would guess -10 would be a hell of a score at Muirfield.

Well, damn! Maybe I do know something about golf after all. :D

If you missed the womens open, that was maybe the best tournament I have watched all year, just a hell of a bunker shot on 18 on the FOURTH playoff hole to win. Glad to see them play at the historic venues.

Leishman, maybe, but Cameron Smith? Well, I guess anything is possible, but I would not be surprised to see a denial being issued shortly.

How is LIV able to just gobble all these players up? I mean, I get it.. Saudi money. But they still have to be worth these salaries right? Is this new league going to make a profit with these salaries?

Smith has essentially put up the middle finger to the PGAT by STILL playing in the FedEx Cup and then leaving. I love the kid, but this is huge black mark on his integrity, imo. **I doubt he has signed yet, or he would not be eligible to play this week per past Monahan comments, but who knows.

Smith was on a roll, and was primed to challenge for world #1, and now just pissed that away for the almighty dollar.

As some of us have said on here, it boils down to the majors, and what they ultimately decide. An anonymous spokesman from Augusta said the fastest way for them to say no to LIV would be to drag them into a court battle.

As Ive stated before, I give less of a shit about where the money is coming from but rather a turning a back on what made most of these guys what they are today, what they always aspired to be, and what others they idolized built for them. Only to shit on all of it over money of which most swim in anyway.

No one cares about profits

I would think whoever is running LIV would, right? is $100,000,000 for the recent Open Champion worth it? Sometimes these guys never make it back.

I just think of paying someone like Kevin Durant that amount more, exponentially.. Is it worth it?

That's why I'm asking. I'm in no way even close to an expert on Golf.. but I find it intriguing that some other country is able to make this "work" by just shelling them serious bucks. And if it's true that $100mil is nothing to Saudi's.. I still ask, what's the point then? Just throwing money away?

I would think whoever is running LIV would, right? is $100,000,000 for the recent Open Champion worth it? Sometimes these guys never make it back.

I just think of paying someone like Kevin Durant that amount more, exponentially.. Is it worth it?

That's why I'm asking. I'm in no way even close to an expert on Golf.. but I find it intriguing that some other country is able to make this "work" by just shelling them serious bucks. And if it's true that $100mil is nothing to Saudi's.. I still ask, what's the point then? Just throwing
The Saudis aren’t worried about the money. They solely care about the “sportswashing” they can get from LIV. They know they will never make a profit or break even

That's why I'm asking. I'm in no way even close to an expert on Golf.. but I find it intriguing that some other country is able to make this "work" by just shelling them serious bucks. And if it's true that $100mil is nothing to Saudi's.. I still ask, what's the point then? Just throwing money away?

The powers to be in the Saudi world that are backing this are only in it for power and control. Money is irrelevant. That is their mindset in virtually anything they dabble in.....they do it right in our backyard at those horse sales on Versailles Rd. and we don't blink an eye.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I don't care if guys go LIV at this point, just don't try to come back, or have it both ways.

Cam Smith already made about 10 million dollars this year plus figures to make a lot more at Fedex. My educated guess is that these LIV golfers have been given legal advice that they expect to win the anti-trust suit and will be able to play both tours after the litigation is over.

Of course even if that's right it could be a number of years away.

So Cam Smith, Cam Young, Talor Gooch. Things are starting to get more interesting.
The revised OWGR points is a disaster for all but the PGA. The DP World might as well be the Korn Ferry.

The Cam Smith one hurts. He's a fun guy to watch and love his game. Be interesting to see what the PGA comes up with for the Players next year provided things stay as they are for honoring last year's winner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT