ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

Ouch. First she blows the tourney and then the LPGA fines her for slow play. I’m all for speeding up play but damn. Seems a little harsh given how it ended.

Plus she blew off the media. Just another ugly day for her. She's fragile and I worry about her.

It’s not nearly harsh enough.

Under current rules it takes a minor miracle to even be put on the clock. They played a nearly 6 hour round yesterday, got put on the clock early today then got put on the clock again when they got nearly 2 holes behind on 16.

Playing at an appropriate pace is a skill. If they can’t develop that skill there should be punishment.

Reactions: cole854
It’s not nearly harsh enough.

Under current rules it takes a minor miracle to even be put on the clock. They played a nearly 6 hour round yesterday, got put on the clock early today then got put on the clock again when they got nearly 2 holes behind on 16.

Playing at an appropriate pace is a skill. If they can’t develop that skill there should be punishment.

It is bad enough when you are in the last group, LPGA has TV contracts and advertisers, and presumably their live events are slotted for a particular time window, costs TV a bunch of money to run over an hour because some golfer thinks their every shot is a pivotal point in history.

But . . . what if you are in the 3rd to last group? Your slow play is irritating as hell and upsets the rhythm of the golfers behind you, i.e., can affect the outcome of the event.

In short, they need to fine the slow pokes and make them play.

Schauffele
Poston
Theegala
Thorbornsen
Hadley

Who gets excited about that Leaderbord? Yikes.

It came down to the last hole, last few shots....great final round for the fans. Your lack of depth doesn't allow you to recognize anything above a putt-putt course.

Ouch. First she blows the tourney and then the LPGA fines her for slow play. I’m all for speeding up play but damn. Seems a little harsh given how it ended.

But . . . if you are going to fine someone, she made $718K yesterday, a $2000 fine is about like fining someone 50 cents for speeding.

It came down to the last hole, last few shots....great final round for the fans. Your lack of depth doesn't allow you to recognize anything above a putt-putt course.

I just watched the 18th, was Theegala's caddie all but begging him just to blast out and try to get up and down from the fairway? Would have only left him about 80 yards or so, and a par would have gotten him in the playoff, just a really bad rookie mistake there. (Hope he plays in the Barbasol though)

Reactions: TruBluCatFan
I just watched the 18th, was Theegala's caddie all but begging him just to blast out and try to get up and down from the fairway? Would have only left him about 80 yards or so, and a par would have gotten him in the playoff, just a really bad rookie mistake there. (Hope he plays in the Barbasol though)
I have searched to see what the conversation was and can't locate anything. Ultimately, it is the player's responsibility, but he was obviously befuddled about the entire scenario and needed to be reassured about the shot he was going to try.....and the potential results either way. Bad all the way around.

I have searched to see what the conversation was and can't locate anything. Ultimately, it is the player's responsibility, but he was obviously befuddled about the entire scenario and needed to be reassured about the shot he was going to try.....and the potential results either way. Bad all the way around.

The microphone and TV was right there, but to be fair I could not hear exactly what was being said, but it sure seemed to me the caddy was trying really hard to get him to play the safe easy shot. Faldo was really critical of the caddy, but tbh, sounded to me like he did everything he could do - at the end of the day, you are right, it is the player's decision.

The microphone and TV was right there, but to be fair I could not hear exactly what was being said, but it sure seemed to me the caddy was trying really hard to get him to play the safe easy shot. Faldo was really critical of the caddy, but tbh, sounded to me like he did everything he could do - at the end of the day, you are right, it is the player's decision.
Caddy's are there to help, carry the bag, give advice when asked, etc. Ultimately the player makes the choices.

Caddy's are there to help, carry the bag, give advice when asked, etc. Ultimately the player makes the choices.

Depending on the player/caddy relationship, there are times the caddy just needs to put his foot down, especially if the player is just F'd up in the head about the shot.

• Love
Reactions: TruBluCatFan
What in God’s name did they do to Congressional? If trees were people it would be genocide. Did they hire Paul Bunyan or what…unrecognizable.

She needs to take off that glove and try another way. Those missed putts weren't even close.
Looks like she has the yips. Should try a different putter and grip (take the glove of as well). Too good of a ball striker with distance to let short putts derail her career.

Looks like she has the yips. Should try a different putter and grip (take the glove of as well). Too good of a ball striker with distance to let short putts derail her career.

It happens, happened to Ernie Els, who 6 putted the first green at Augusta National one year.

She rolls the ball pretty well from longer distances it seems. Purely a confidence thing IMO. She has to believe she's going to make those short one, rather than fear she's going to miss.

She rolls the ball pretty well from longer distances it seems. Purely a confidence thing IMO. She has to believe she's going to make those short one, rather than fear she's going to miss.
I think you are on to something. You have to have a good attitude about 6 footers. If you are confident you should make most of those, you probably will. If you do not, then you probably wont.

But hell, that one putt was about a 3 footer. Wow.

Reactions: catlanta33
I think you are on to something. You have to have a good attitude about 6 footers. If you are confident you should make most of those, you probably will. If you do not, then you probably wont.

But hell, that one putt was about a 3 footer. Wow.
Yep, I go into those shorter putts hoping I make it instead of expecting to and many times I miss. Putting really is a mindset skill. Develop the feel but also learn how to read the greens properly and having the confidence to make them. I go into putts hoping to come out in 2. Great putters want to make everyone of them. Lexi clearly has a ton of talent but she is like so many golfers who have a weakness in their game and unfortunately, it is the most important piece to the puzzle for winning at the highest level.

Reactions: cawoodsct
Tried watching a few minutes of LIV and it’s no good, I’d rather watch no names try to earn their way up than washed up guys.

Are we talking about the Fred Couples that bolted for another woman when his wife got cancer? That Fred Couples?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT