ADVERTISEMENT

GOLF thread

PGA tour has 23 sponsors doing more than 40 Billion of business with Saudi Arabia. So the morality argument don’t hunt. 🦌

It will be interesting if LIV gets OWGR points and how it is structured. With few highly ranked players, and some on the downside of their career, gotta imagine it will be similar to Asian tour points. Or, if enough Euros defect, maybe that level.

Played Pendleton Hills in Pendleton County this weekend. Surprisingly fast greens, some target golf, some blind holes, some big elevation, fairway kind of spongy. Curious if it holds water well. Overall, average.

Brooks Koepka removes PGA tour from Social Media Bio. LOL!

Also, Nick Faldo is retiring from commentating.

It will be interesting if LIV gets OWGR points and how it is structured. With few highly ranked players, and some on the downside of their career, gotta imagine it will be similar to Asian tour points. Or, if enough Euros defect, maybe that level.
I’d imagine they’ll end up getting OWGR points, because they’ll pay who needs to be paid to make sure it happens.

Played Pendleton Hills in Pendleton County this weekend. Surprisingly fast greens, some target golf, some blind holes, some big elevation, fairway kind of spongy. Curious if it holds water well. Overall, average.
This is key IMO. Eventually these guys will have to start qualifying for Majors because they lack the OWGR points, unless they have a lifetime exemption (Masters for example).

Brooks Koepka removes PGA tour from Social Media Bio. LOL!

Also, Nick Faldo is retiring from commentating.
Shocker…. Obvious the guy is not real motivated to play golf as much as he should and needs a major pay day to keep up his new wife.

Morikawa is the shocker. The PGA is going to have to get the Masters and US Open to not allow LIV players or it will see more and more players defecting. And I don’t see how the US Open could not allow LIV players since it is an qualifying event. The PGA has money but nothing compared to the Saudi Fund.

Reactions: UKWoodford
Shocker…. Obvious the guy is not real motivated to play golf as much as he should and needs a major pay day to keep up his new wife.
I wouldn't be very motivated, either, if I was forced to work my entire working life for one employer, receive ZERO in annual salary and have to travel all over the place.

Not one person on earth would be motivated to work and travel yet not be guaranteed a red cent...... yet quite a few hypocrites are skewering them, Brandal Chamblee being the worst. PGA makes the NCAA look like a gem of an organization.

I wouldn't be very motivated, either, if I was forced to work my entire working life for one employer, receive ZERO in annual salary and have to travel all over the place.

Not one person on earth would be motivated to work and travel yet not be guaranteed a red cent...... yet quite a few hypocrites are skewering them, Brandal Chamblee being the worst. PGA makes the NCAA look like a gem of an organization.
So the answer is to cast your lot with the Saudis?

So the answer is to cast your lot with the Saudis?

The PGA tour has 23 sponsors that spend more than 40 Billion with Saudi Arabia. The moral argument is laughable, and I think those facts surfacing are why more are defecting.

Name one player who was forced to work hard for their PGA tour card.

Your comment: Not one person on earth would be motivated to work and travel yet not be guaranteed a red cent

Guess what, genius....this is what 100% of the PGA tour players do when they want to join the tour.

Guess what part 2....if you fail at a salaried position, then you will eventually be without a job.

You really don't understand any of this, do you?

The PGA tour has 23 sponsors that spend more than 40 Billion with Saudi Arabia. The moral argument is laughable, and I think those facts surfacing are why more are defecting.

So....companies can spend money however they want. The Saudi money issue is not at the top of the list w/ the PGA.....you missed that as well.

Do you go to Keeneland? Follow horse racing? If yes to either question, then your post is meaningless and hypocritical.

Name one player who was forced to work hard for their PGA tour card.

Your comment: Not one person on earth would be motivated to work and travel yet not be guaranteed a red cent

Guess what, genius....this is what 100% of the PGA tour players do when they want to join the tour.

Guess what part 2....if you fail at a salaried position, then you will eventually be without a job.

You really don't understand any of this, do you?
I understand all of it but you getting smarmy and name calling only shows that YOU are the desperate one here The FACTS that they aren't receiving a salary can't be refuted no matter what type of word salad you throw out. I'm laughing at you. Feel free to get it out of your system and name call some more. I'm above that.. I'll laugh at your more.

The players defecting understand one thing very well: Nobody cares about you but you and your family so don't worry about what they say about you......and don't just stay on the PGA so some fat a$$ can sit on his couch with his hand down his pants and see all the best players herded into one place. lol

LMAO. Fun to watch. So sorry for the selfish A-holes that want them all herded into one field for their own viewing pleasure.

I understand all of it but you getting smarmy and name calling only shows that YOU are the desperate one here The FACTS that they aren't receiving a salary can't be refuted no matter what type of word salad you throw out. I'm laughing at you. Feel free to get it out of your system and name call some more. I'm above that.. I'll laugh at your more.

Well, many would argue they do get a salary from sponsors. And play well....get more sponsors and more money.

The players defecting understand one thing very well: Nobody cares about you but you and your family so don't worry about what they say about you......and don't just stay on the PGA so some fat a$$ can sit on his couch with his hand down his pants and see all the best players herded into one place. lol

LMAO. Fun to watch. So sorry for the selfish A-holes that want them all herded into one field for their own viewing pleasure.

Aren't they free to play on DP World whenever they want? The difference is that the LIV has political undertones, and don't really care about the players either.

Wont ever watch a second of it. Guys turning their backs on the pga tour and all the past greats who built it. Have another league, have competition, build another tour/league but not like this with all that money. No respect for them or it.

Wont ever watch a second of it. Guys turning their backs on the pga tour and all the past greats who built it. Have another league, have competition, build another tour/league but not like this with all that money. No respect for them or it.
I'd rather watch the Korn Ferry Tour, Champions Tour, or DP World in the mornings, and its not close. Makes me very sad. These guys are being used. I guess they'll have large bank accounts though.

Aren't they free to play on DP World whenever they want? The difference is that the LIV has political undertones, and don't really care about the players either.

Does the World tour offer a salary or a signing bonus that will set you up for life? Either of the two?

Saudi's don't care about the players. They are being used as pawns to open doors for the Saudi's. But independent contractors will almost ALWAYS go where the money is. I get that it's disappointing to some, but I guess they'll have to get a Kleenex and get over it as that's life. And to think our government isn't disgusting and corrupt is laughable, especially under the current disgrace of an administration.

Reactions: WilmoreCat
Does the World tour offer a salary or a signing bonus that will set you up for life? Either of the two?

Saudi's don't care about the players. They are being used as pawns to open doors for the Saudi's. But independent contractors will almost ALWAYS go where the money is. I get that it's disappointing to some, but I guess they'll have to get a Kleenex and get over it as that's life. And to think our government isn't disgusting and corrupt is laughable, especially under the current disgrace of an administration.
Won't argue about the government. But I thought we were talking about golf.

Reactions: bigbluedon
Won't argue about the government. But I thought we were talking about golf.

You tossed in the word politics. Long live LIV.

If people expect independent contractors to give a crap about your government when your government doesn't give a crap about you, you're in for disappointment.

Take care. I have no issue with LIV and would be dumb to argue about it with people that do. I'll sit back and enjoy the show. Just shows how many PGA golfers hate their employer.

You tossed in the word politics. Long live LIV.

If people expect independent contractors to give a crap about your government when your government doesn't give a crap about you, you're in for disappointment.

Take care. I have no issue with LIV and would be dumb to argue about it with people that do. I'll sit back and enjoy the show. Just shows how many PGA golfers hate their employer.
To my knowledge, the PGA Tour isn't about sports washing, or making political statements. Supports tons of charities as well. Not much to hate IMO.

Had no idea until today that Faldo's current and fourth wife was an ex-stripper with 6 ex-husbands and a drug conviction.

LOL! Wild times.

To my knowledge, the PGA Tour isn't about sports washing, or making political statements. Supports tons of charities as well. Not much to hate IMO.

And how are you going to stop the alleged 23 sponsors, e.g., Royal Bank of Canada, from "doing business in Saudi Arabia", and why would you? That is a LOT different from being paid directly by the Saudi government for PR purposes. Norman's retort doesn't hold any water for me.

Not being paid for showing up to compete is a big issue. There is talk of PGA instituting a stipend for each person who plays in a tourney.
The journeyman benefits from the pension, deferred comp on cuts made and Fed EX Cup money.
For the top players getting millions, this outweighs what they'll get in future.
We'll see how much players care if they get frozen out of majors.

You nailed it on the head. The PGA is in trouble.

Think about it, guys can play 3 rounds of golf per event, less events per year, and make a lot more money. Just a matter of time. LIV has a strong value proposition to sell to their golfers.

Reactions: UKWoodford

Think about it, guys can play 3 rounds of golf per event, less events per year, and make a lot more money. Just a matter of time. LIV has a strong value proposition to sell to their golfers.

It's obvious. Some just don't want it to happen as it ruins their weekend TV schedule.

It waters down the product. It will now have more recognizable names and, possibly, talent than Euro tour. It will have similar star power to PGA, in terms of name recognition but less talent. When no one is strong, they all are weak and you can't discern who the best is at any given time. Will the interest wane overall when you don't know who is the best?

If money is all you are interested in, but lots of golfers (vast majority actually) will want to win the PGA, the Opens, the Masters, the TPC etc., i.e., the tournaments with many many years of history behind them.

And it is possible that even the LIV money will dry up after a handful of stars sign, unless you think the Saudis will sign up all the Korn Ferry wanna bes just to have a full field.

I thought that was true for a time, but when you see a name like Morikawa leave, you know the PGA is in BIG trouble. If enough leave as is happening, other big names will leave because they won't want to play on a tour with whiney chumps like Thomas, Spieth, etc.
Morikawa says he isn't leaving. See above.

Reactions: cole854
^^^Brett Setzer is a numbnut.....his better half is smoking, however.

Brett Setzer has made more money than everyone on this thread put together (fact), and in doing so has made a lot of money for a lot of his friends and investors along the way (another fact). But I don't have an opinion on Billy Jo Setzer, that generally is in the eye of the beholder.

Colin Morikawa shoots down the rumors. Big win for the PGA.

Funny how they all the sudden found money for bigger purses today. I guess Mickelson wasn't exactly wrong when he said how greedy the PGA was.

Reactions: Catfan in Tn.
Brett Setzer has made more money than everyone on this thread put together (fact), and in doing so has made a lot of money for a lot of his friends and investors along the way (another fact). But I don't have an opinion on Billy Jo Setzer, that generally is in the eye of the beholder.

His wealth is irrelevant to what I said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT