ADVERTISEMENT

Front row perspective from Jacksonville

Perspective from my living room:

Abilene Christian was terrible and probably not a tourney caliber team (except for their automatic bid).

No other observations from that game matter.

You are amazingly bi-polar. Earlier this week you argued that we couldn't win it WITH him and now you're arguing that we can win it without him.

I was trying to make the point that we need more than PJ and Herro to win the tournament. People tend to forget how much talent this team has besides PJ, you just can not replace his experience..

I was trying to make the point that we need more than PJ and Herro to win the tournament. People tend to forget how much talent this team has besides PJ, you just can not replace his experience..

You said this:

"We definitely don't have a chance without Washington, Reid Travis is good and all, but him and Washington has to be on the floor together.."

Now you are claiming that we can win it all without Washington. Make up your mind already!

He is tbe best player on the team bar none... you can't down play that! Somebody will need to step up time.

I don't know about the Percs during a game but I suspect that is what they will do for him next weekend when he does play. I just don't see him playing on Saturday but simply if you can't find a way to beat a team who you have 6x the amount of NBA talent over then you don't deserve to advance in the dance. Doesn't mean we win by much but I have faith we can win.

He should be able to play fine on 10-15 mgs at his size

Perspective from my living room:

Abilene Christian was terrible and probably not a tourney caliber team (except for their automatic bid).

No other observations from that game matter.
Blunt but probably true.

Reactions: know1
OP living the dream. Can I ask if you are retired or do you take PTO each year for the tourney?

I dont believe any sane fan believes PJ is done. He's resting the foot this weekend because we have the horses to get it done and afford him the time to be 100%, which is what we need, for the last four, not the first two. In Cal we trust.

I dont believe any sane fan believes PJ is done. He's resting the foot this weekend because we have the horses to get it done and afford him the time to be 100%, which is what we need, for the last four, not the first two. In Cal we trust.
This is the NCAAT. He IS done if we don’t advance. This isn’t the regular season.

Reactions: wkycatfan
CJ has article interviewing Scott Padgett where he says thinks Wofford is very good and Kentucky should be concerned. He's played them twice this season. If PJ is able to play tommorrow (even less than 100%) and we're holding him back for next weekend, that's a dangerous game IMO. What happened to survive and advance?

If PJ can/could play this weekend then he should. The first game might not have mattered, but Wofford is a darn good team that very well could beat us and PJ would provide a major mismatch that they couldn't stop. It would be a major roll of the dice for UK to be resting PJ on the presumption that we can/should win.

He isn't playing because he cannot. Whether that changes next weekend is yet to be seen. I don't think that UK is playing any game or trying to hide anything. I think they do not know and they are hoping to have him as soon as possible.

If PJ can/could play this weekend then he should. The first game might not have mattered, but Wofford is a darn good team that very well could beat us and PJ would provide a major mismatch that they couldn't stop. It would be a major roll of the dice for UK to be resting PJ on the presumption that we can/should win.

He isn't playing because he cannot. Whether that changes next weekend is yet to be seen. I don't think that UK is playing any game or trying to hide anything. I think they do not know and they are hoping to have him as soon as possible.
We're winning tomorrow, sans PJ. Get on board.

Reactions: Colonial Farm 80
Lol, yeah I think that thing between Calipari and Keldon is something that Cal does to motivate all of his teams when they aren't trying as hard as they should. I remember him doing that to the entire 2015 team when LSU almost beat us and pumped his fists and cheered whenever LSU scored.

OP living the dream. Can I ask if you are retired or do you take PTO each year for the tourney?

PTO! Our group started the tradition in Memphis in 1995. We are spread out across the country and it's our annual excuse to get together and follow the Cats in March. Some of the best memories of my life no doubt!

Awesome stuff man.

Wofford has me concerned a little. This made me feel better because I was thinking the same things. We are just too athletic and looonnnng for them.

Same here, bud. I am/was a little concerned about this game tomorrow too..but we are too athletic, long, AND fast for them. That's what makes me feel better..but by God, we better drive them off the 3 point line because holy shit Wofford can shoot and a couple of them don't need much daylight at all. Still though, UK should win.

Hey guys, don’t usually post much but had the opportunity to sit behind UK bench for the game last night so wanted to share some thoughts from inside the arena:

-Crowd was heavily on favor of the Cats, would say about 65% blue. Felt very much like a late November, early December game in Rupp. From the onset, there was no threat of defeat so crowd was very subdued and just watched the game. Really only time folks got loud was when Johnny David was fouled in last few seconds and it wasn’t called. Was encouraged however with all the blue, as I’m sure the noise and energy will ratchet up on Saturday.

-PJ just didn’t look like a guy who didn’t intend to play again. Was only a few feet from him and he was super engaged in the game. Spent most of his time encouraging and coaching up EJ and Nick. Was all smiles, and very locked into the team. Who knows what’s going to happen Saturday but after seeing his demeanor, plus remembering how he rallied the team post-UT loss in Nashville, I’m going to hold out hope he will give it a go Saturday. But if he doesn’t...

-Wofford is a good matchup for us. Stayed for the first half of their game and I like this matchup. Don’t get me wrong, they are a great team. At this point of the tournament you’re going to play a top 25 caliber team and Wofford is deserving of that. But man, their offensive philosophy could play right into our hands. Two types of teams have hurt us this year; ultra-athletic bigs that negate Reid due to their length (LSU) or super quick and athletic guards who get around their man kick to the open 3 point shooter (UT-Bone). Post November- we have actually had great success against teams who are so one dimensional on offense towards the 3-ball (Auburn, Louisville). I have no doubt that Cal will devise a game plan to suffocate their shooters.

-Tyler and Keldon are soooo smooth. THIS was the lottery pick Keldon we all expected. Hit open shots and his drives to the basket were so efficient and in control. ACU was really overmatched but I’d be hard pressed to name a better scoring duo on the wing in the country. They are much stronger physically than I had thought. Going to be really hard for Wofford (or anyone for that matter) to contain their drives.

-Reid Travis is a freaking MAN. Seeing him that close, it’s jarring how big that dude is. He seemed to relish being the number 1 option in the post with PJ out. He played a very specific role on offense for us this year, but let’s not forget he was the primary scorer for four years at Stanford. If PJ doesn’t play on Saturday, I feel very comfortable with running offense through Reid, especially against a frontcourt he matches up well with. He was all business last night. Seems like a man on mission.

-Quickley’s mind is still racing. He moves and drives without purpose on so many occasions and you can just tell he is thinking too much. Game just hasn’t slowed down for him yet. Honestly, I just don’t see him as a PG. In a weird way, his body type and build reminds me of Tony Delk. Either way, I think if Quickley is going to have a big impact at UK it’s going to be as a SG.

-Ashton will make a couple “where were you going” moments each game, but he probably doesn’t get enough credit for how he facilitates our offense. Losing him would be a bigger loss than anyone on the team IMO. He’s the only one on the team that can do what he does for us. Wofford guards won’t be able to take him off the dribble so this could be one of those games where his defensive prowess is highlighted.

-EJ and Nick are SOOOO long and big but they just aren’t as skilled or physically mature (i.e. coordinated) as their peers. Will be curious to see how much Nick will play on Saturday. Based on how Wofford plays, could see EJ spelling Reid and then going small most of the game. Just seems like a game Nick wouldn’t flourish in.

-Keldon and Cal had a really funny/cool moment in the second half last night. Cal was riding Keldon hard for his man scoring a few buckets in a row at the start of the half. Cal was sarcastically smiling and clapping (almost mocking) KJ whenever his man scored. Than the next few trips down, KJ would score and look right at Cal and start jawing, almost as if Cal was a fan in the stands talking smack to him lol. It was all very playful, but was nice to see Cal challenging KJ on his defense even with the game in hand.

-Jacksonville as a city is admittedly not a wonderful layout to host these events based on how spread-out the city is, but the sports complex itself was absolutely terrific. They basically shut down the street adjacent to the arena and it’s like one big party. 72 degree weather, bars and drink stands everywhere, NO OPEN CONTAINER LAWS, bathrooms, TVs to watch games…overall a very good setup. As someone who travels to most NCAA UK games, it was a breath of fresh air. Also sell beer in the arena, not sure I can recall many arenas who do that.

-Will be back behind the bench on Saturday. The guys and coaches seemed so locked in right now. I predict our length and athleticism will wear Wofford down in second half and we’ll pull away in the last 12 minutes. Kentucky 74 Wofford 61, Reid Travis MVP. GBB.

-The scooter in all its glory…
IMG_2574_zpsnfiwhafh.jpg.html
I’ll add another nice post. Obviously you gave it some time and thought. I saw Reid play here in a game at CU, and he is a large man isn’t he? And whoa do we need him tomorrow.

I don't know about the Percs during a game but I suspect that is what they will do for him next weekend when he does play. I just don't see him playing on Saturday but simply if you can't find a way to beat a team who you have 6x the amount of NBA talent over then you don't deserve to advance in the dance. Doesn't mean we win by much but I have faith we can win.
No, the shots are for P.J. and the percs are for Cal.

Shit, 2 10mg percs, and my 51 year old ass would play like Jordan. When they wore off i would be in trouble, but until then,,,,:flushed:

THIS is why BBN and our fans are the best in the country. We get quality writeups by our knowledgeable BBN fans, get a good feel for how things are going, and it helps the entire fanbase soak it in and absorb the fun.

Great post, OP! Bring it on in the next game and help them to advance!

Go Big Blue!

Hey guys, don’t usually post much but had the opportunity to sit behind UK bench for the game last night so wanted to share some thoughts from inside the arena:

-Crowd was heavily on favor of the Cats, would say about 65% blue. Felt very much like a late November, early December game in Rupp. From the onset, there was no threat of defeat so crowd was very subdued and just watched the game. Really only time folks got loud was when Johnny David was fouled in last few seconds and it wasn’t called. Was encouraged however with all the blue, as I’m sure the noise and energy will ratchet up on Saturday.

-PJ just didn’t look like a guy who didn’t intend to play again. Was only a few feet from him and he was super engaged in the game. Spent most of his time encouraging and coaching up EJ and Nick. Was all smiles, and very locked into the team. Who knows what’s going to happen Saturday but after seeing his demeanor, plus remembering how he rallied the team post-UT loss in Nashville, I’m going to hold out hope he will give it a go Saturday. But if he doesn’t...

-Wofford is a good matchup for us. Stayed for the first half of their game and I like this matchup. Don’t get me wrong, they are a great team. At this point of the tournament you’re going to play a top 25 caliber team and Wofford is deserving of that. But man, their offensive philosophy could play right into our hands. Two types of teams have hurt us this year; ultra-athletic bigs that negate Reid due to their length (LSU) or super quick and athletic guards who get around their man kick to the open 3 point shooter (UT-Bone). Post November- we have actually had great success against teams who are so one dimensional on offense towards the 3-ball (Auburn, Louisville). I have no doubt that Cal will devise a game plan to suffocate their shooters.

-Tyler and Keldon are soooo smooth. THIS was the lottery pick Keldon we all expected. Hit open shots and his drives to the basket were so efficient and in control. ACU was really overmatched but I’d be hard pressed to name a better scoring duo on the wing in the country. They are much stronger physically than I had thought. Going to be really hard for Wofford (or anyone for that matter) to contain their drives.

-Reid Travis is a freaking MAN. Seeing him that close, it’s jarring how big that dude is. He seemed to relish being the number 1 option in the post with PJ out. He played a very specific role on offense for us this year, but let’s not forget he was the primary scorer for four years at Stanford. If PJ doesn’t play on Saturday, I feel very comfortable with running offense through Reid, especially against a frontcourt he matches up well with. He was all business last night. Seems like a man on mission.

-Quickley’s mind is still racing. He moves and drives without purpose on so many occasions and you can just tell he is thinking too much. Game just hasn’t slowed down for him yet. Honestly, I just don’t see him as a PG. In a weird way, his body type and build reminds me of Tony Delk. Either way, I think if Quickley is going to have a big impact at UK it’s going to be as a SG.

-Ashton will make a couple “where were you going” moments each game, but he probably doesn’t get enough credit for how he facilitates our offense. Losing him would be a bigger loss than anyone on the team IMO. He’s the only one on the team that can do what he does for us. Wofford guards won’t be able to take him off the dribble so this could be one of those games where his defensive prowess is highlighted.

-EJ and Nick are SOOOO long and big but they just aren’t as skilled or physically mature (i.e. coordinated) as their peers. Will be curious to see how much Nick will play on Saturday. Based on how Wofford plays, could see EJ spelling Reid and then going small most of the game. Just seems like a game Nick wouldn’t flourish in.

-Keldon and Cal had a really funny/cool moment in the second half last night. Cal was riding Keldon hard for his man scoring a few buckets in a row at the start of the half. Cal was sarcastically smiling and clapping (almost mocking) KJ whenever his man scored. Than the next few trips down, KJ would score and look right at Cal and start jawing, almost as if Cal was a fan in the stands talking smack to him lol. It was all very playful, but was nice to see Cal challenging KJ on his defense even with the game in hand.

-Jacksonville as a city is admittedly not a wonderful layout to host these events based on how spread-out the city is, but the sports complex itself was absolutely terrific. They basically shut down the street adjacent to the arena and it’s like one big party. 72 degree weather, bars and drink stands everywhere, NO OPEN CONTAINER LAWS, bathrooms, TVs to watch games…overall a very good setup. As someone who travels to most NCAA UK games, it was a breath of fresh air. Also sell beer in the arena, not sure I can recall many arenas who do that.

-Will be back behind the bench on Saturday. The guys and coaches seemed so locked in right now. I predict our length and athleticism will wear Wofford down in second half and we’ll pull away in the last 12 minutes. Kentucky 74 Wofford 61, Reid Travis MVP. GBB.

Refreshing, Post of the week!!! This is what it's about!!! Fantastic post with solid basketball knowledge from the host city!!! Cats are fun to follow in person during NCAA, my first was St Louis in 1999 (Miami oh, Mich St) and I was blown away by the Ky fans and atmosphere!!!! Please keep posting!!!

I was sitting slightly to your right around mid court. I had a different take on P.J. I thought he was relaxed and looked like a man that knew he was going to play again and soon.
Team looked good. Energy was good. Crowd was good. MD fans will definitely cheer against us, LSU will probably cheer for us since we wouldn’t play until the end.
I was sitting slightly to your right around mid court. I had a different take on P.J. I thought he was relaxed and looked like a man that knew he was going to play again and soon.
Team looked good. Energy was good. Crowd was good. MD fans will definitely cheer against us, LSU will probably cheer for us since we wouldn’t play until the end.

I believe you would sitting to his left, if you were at midcourt and as he was right behind the bench in sec 113. I am there on row Q, about 17 or so rows back...behind the bench but not close. We could hear Cal on many occasions.

We will be there for about half of the LSU game, after touching base at the U.K. Pep rally, at which the band and cheer leaders are scheduled to visit, according to the Alumni page.

Reactions: Blueaz

Awesome write up. Love it. I completely love the breakdown. For us to hang #9. Quickley needs to accept he is just a sg. And trail up with hagans. And if its good shot. Just take it. #9 will hang. Finally! Quickley is holding hagans back. I see it everytime they on court. Go duo threat. Hang that dang banner already. Defensives get caught up in preferual vision alot. O its quickley he gonna take the jumper. But it really was hagans slashing to cup. Boom to late. Vice versa.

Quick bro. Sometimes u got to shoot over the defense. It actually is a good thing. Allows pg to get back or follow your shot. Quick if your wide open. Just follow your shot. If confidence is down .

Robert Morris is the only mid major we’ve lost to during Cal’s tenure.

He might be the best coach in the country at exploiting physical mismatches.

I think Reid and Keldon could have monster games. Possibly Hagans too. Those are 3 guys that wofford just doesn’t match up with physically.

Edit: I just went through Calipari’s tournament history. He’s NEVER lost an NCAA tournament game to a mid major. Not at Kentucky, not at Memphis, not even at Umass. His NCAA tourney losses:

1992 Kentucky S16
1993 Virginia 2nd rd
1994 Maryland 2nd rd
1995 Ok State E8
1996 Kentucky F4
2003 Arizona State 1st Rd(only 1st round loss ever)
2004 OK State 2nd round
2006 UCLA E8
2007 Ohio State E8
2008 Kansas Title game
2009 Missouri S16
2010 WVU E8
2011 UConn F4
2012 :sunglasses:
2014 UConn title game
2015 Wisconsin F4
2016 IU 2nd rd
2017 UNC E8
2018 K State S16

So this is his 20th NCAA tournament.

He’s now 19-1 in the first round. That’s absurd.(dagumm Roy has never lost in the 1st round btw. Only coach with a better first round record. I imagine it’s easier to prepare for tourney games when you don’t have to worry about those pesky classes)
14-4 in 2nd round games
11-3 S16
6-5 E8
3-3 F4
1-2 title games

I got bored

Last edited:
CJ has article interviewing Scott Padgett where he says thinks Wofford is very good and Kentucky should be concerned. He's played them twice this season. If PJ is able to play tommorrow (even less than 100%) and we're holding him back for next weekend, that's a dangerous game IMO. What happened to survive and advance?
PJ is not being held back. He has a sprained foot in a cast. He says it hurts too much to play. If he could play, he would. Nobody gets hurt more than PJ if he doesn't play, because this is his audition in front of NBA scouts. The last thing we want to do is play an injured player on a bad foot against an experienced team that shoots well.

I believe you would sitting to his left, if you were at midcourt and as he was right behind the bench in sec 113. I am there on row Q, about 17 or so rows back...behind the bench but not close. We could hear Cal on many occasions.

We will be there for about half of the LSU game, after touching base at the U.K. Pep rally, at which the band and cheer leaders are scheduled to visit, according to the Alumni page.

Yes, I was thinking for the flood persepctive, but as he sits you are root. Great game to be at. Lots of stress, but great outcome and hopefully now we can get PJ and make some noice in KC. my seats are right behind Cal as he explores the outer edge of the coaches box so I can hear him really well. I will be there in KC me a note and we can hook up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT