ADVERTISEMENT

Front row perspective from Jacksonville

Feb 13, 2007
Hey guys, don’t usually post much but had the opportunity to sit behind UK bench for the game last night so wanted to share some thoughts from inside the arena:

-Crowd was heavily on favor of the Cats, would say about 65% blue. Felt very much like a late November, early December game in Rupp. From the onset, there was no threat of defeat so crowd was very subdued and just watched the game. Really only time folks got loud was when Johnny David was fouled in last few seconds and it wasn’t called. Was encouraged however with all the blue, as I’m sure the noise and energy will ratchet up on Saturday.

-PJ just didn’t look like a guy who didn’t intend to play again. Was only a few feet from him and he was super engaged in the game. Spent most of his time encouraging and coaching up EJ and Nick. Was all smiles, and very locked into the team. Who knows what’s going to happen Saturday but after seeing his demeanor, plus remembering how he rallied the team post-UT loss in Nashville, I’m going to hold out hope he will give it a go Saturday. But if he doesn’t...

-Wofford is a good matchup for us. Stayed for the first half of their game and I like this matchup. Don’t get me wrong, they are a great team. At this point of the tournament you’re going to play a top 25 caliber team and Wofford is deserving of that. But man, their offensive philosophy could play right into our hands. Two types of teams have hurt us this year; ultra-athletic bigs that negate Reid due to their length (LSU) or super quick and athletic guards who get around their man kick to the open 3 point shooter (UT-Bone). Post November- we have actually had great success against teams who are so one dimensional on offense towards the 3-ball (Auburn, Louisville). I have no doubt that Cal will devise a game plan to suffocate their shooters.

-Tyler and Keldon are soooo smooth. THIS was the lottery pick Keldon we all expected. Hit open shots and his drives to the basket were so efficient and in control. ACU was really overmatched but I’d be hard pressed to name a better scoring duo on the wing in the country. They are much stronger physically than I had thought. Going to be really hard for Wofford (or anyone for that matter) to contain their drives.

-Reid Travis is a freaking MAN. Seeing him that close, it’s jarring how big that dude is. He seemed to relish being the number 1 option in the post with PJ out. He played a very specific role on offense for us this year, but let’s not forget he was the primary scorer for four years at Stanford. If PJ doesn’t play on Saturday, I feel very comfortable with running offense through Reid, especially against a frontcourt he matches up well with. He was all business last night. Seems like a man on mission.

-Quickley’s mind is still racing. He moves and drives without purpose on so many occasions and you can just tell he is thinking too much. Game just hasn’t slowed down for him yet. Honestly, I just don’t see him as a PG. In a weird way, his body type and build reminds me of Tony Delk. Either way, I think if Quickley is going to have a big impact at UK it’s going to be as a SG.

-Ashton will make a couple “where were you going” moments each game, but he probably doesn’t get enough credit for how he facilitates our offense. Losing him would be a bigger loss than anyone on the team IMO. He’s the only one on the team that can do what he does for us. Wofford guards won’t be able to take him off the dribble so this could be one of those games where his defensive prowess is highlighted.

-EJ and Nick are SOOOO long and big but they just aren’t as skilled or physically mature (i.e. coordinated) as their peers. Will be curious to see how much Nick will play on Saturday. Based on how Wofford plays, could see EJ spelling Reid and then going small most of the game. Just seems like a game Nick wouldn’t flourish in.

-Keldon and Cal had a really funny/cool moment in the second half last night. Cal was riding Keldon hard for his man scoring a few buckets in a row at the start of the half. Cal was sarcastically smiling and clapping (almost mocking) KJ whenever his man scored. Than the next few trips down, KJ would score and look right at Cal and start jawing, almost as if Cal was a fan in the stands talking smack to him lol. It was all very playful, but was nice to see Cal challenging KJ on his defense even with the game in hand.

-Jacksonville as a city is admittedly not a wonderful layout to host these events based on how spread-out the city is, but the sports complex itself was absolutely terrific. They basically shut down the street adjacent to the arena and it’s like one big party. 72 degree weather, bars and drink stands everywhere, NO OPEN CONTAINER LAWS, bathrooms, TVs to watch games…overall a very good setup. As someone who travels to most NCAA UK games, it was a breath of fresh air. Also sell beer in the arena, not sure I can recall many arenas who do that.

-Will be back behind the bench on Saturday. The guys and coaches seemed so locked in right now. I predict our length and athleticism will wear Wofford down in second half and we’ll pull away in the last 12 minutes. Kentucky 74 Wofford 61, Reid Travis MVP. GBB.

-The scooter in all its glory…
IMG_2574_zpsnfiwhafh.jpg.html

PJ just didn’t look like a guy who didn’t intend to play again. Was only a few feet from him and he was super engaged in the game. Spent most of his time encouraging and coaching up EJ and Nick. Was all smiles, and very locked into the team.
Good. Looked like that on tv.

Nice write up. The most glaring negative I had just ahead of our sloppy passing was KJ letting his guy score over the top of him. He really has to up his 3pt defense. Nick appeared to start out scared but late in the 2nd his teammates built him up and truly encouraged him. You gotta like that kind of camaraderie. Glad you could be present.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Kentucky 74 Wofford 61, Reid Travis MVP. GBB.

Great perspective, thanks for sharing. If we can hold them to 61 I will be really impressed. I think they have been held to 61 and under just twice this year, once to Kansas (47 points) and once to Furman (59 points). It would be really interesting to watch that Furman game and see how Furman kept them under 60. I guess it is certainly possible that we hold them to that. Would love it if we do.

Hey guys, don’t usually post much but had the opportunity to sit behind UK bench for the game last night so wanted to share some thoughts from inside the arena:

-Crowd was heavily on favor of the Cats, would say about 65% blue. Felt very much like a late November, early December game in Rupp. From the onset, there was no threat of defeat so crowd was very subdued and just watched the game. Really only time folks got loud was when Johnny David was fouled in last few seconds and it wasn’t called. Was encouraged however with all the blue, as I’m sure the noise and energy will ratchet up on Saturday.

-PJ just didn’t look like a guy who didn’t intend to play again. Was only a few feet from him and he was super engaged in the game. Spent most of his time encouraging and coaching up EJ and Nick. Was all smiles, and very locked into the team. Who knows what’s going to happen Saturday but after seeing his demeanor, plus remembering how he rallied the team post-UT loss in Nashville, I’m going to hold out hope he will give it a go Saturday. But if he doesn’t...

-Wofford is a good matchup for us. Stayed for the first half of their game and I like this matchup. Don’t get me wrong, they are a great team. At this point of the tournament you’re going to play a top 25 caliber team and Wofford is deserving of that. But man, their offensive philosophy could play right into our hands. Two types of teams have hurt us this year; ultra-athletic bigs that negate Reid due to their length (LSU) or super quick and athletic guards who get around their man kick to the open 3 point shooter (UT-Bone). Post November- we have actually had great success against teams who are so one dimensional on offense towards the 3-ball (Auburn, Louisville). I have no doubt that Cal will devise a game plan to suffocate their shooters.

-Tyler and Keldon are soooo smooth. THIS was the lottery pick Keldon we all expected. Hit open shots and his drives to the basket were so efficient and in control. ACU was really overmatched but I’d be hard pressed to name a better scoring duo on the wing in the country. They are much stronger physically than I had thought. Going to be really hard for Wofford (or anyone for that matter) to contain their drives.

-Reid Travis is a freaking MAN. Seeing him that close, it’s jarring how big that dude is. He seemed to relish being the number 1 option in the post with PJ out. He played a very specific role on offense for us this year, but let’s not forget he was the primary scorer for four years at Stanford. If PJ doesn’t play on Saturday, I feel very comfortable with running offense through Reid, especially against a frontcourt he matches up well with. He was all business last night. Seems like a man on mission.

-Quickley’s mind is still racing. He moves and drives without purpose on so many occasions and you can just tell he is thinking too much. Game just hasn’t slowed down for him yet. Honestly, I just don’t see him as a PG. In a weird way, his body type and build reminds me of Tony Delk. Either way, I think if Quickley is going to have a big impact at UK it’s going to be as a SG.

-Ashton will make a couple “where were you going” moments each game, but he probably doesn’t get enough credit for how he facilitates our offense. Losing him would be a bigger loss than anyone on the team IMO. He’s the only one on the team that can do what he does for us. Wofford guards won’t be able to take him off the dribble so this could be one of those games where his defensive prowess is highlighted.

-EJ and Nick are SOOOO long and big but they just aren’t as skilled or physically mature (i.e. coordinated) as their peers. Will be curious to see how much Nick will play on Saturday. Based on how Wofford plays, could see EJ spelling Reid and then going small most of the game. Just seems like a game Nick wouldn’t flourish in.

-Keldon and Cal had a really funny/cool moment in the second half last night. Cal was riding Keldon hard for his man scoring a few buckets in a row at the start of the half. Cal was sarcastically smiling and clapping (almost mocking) KJ whenever his man scored. Than the next few trips down, KJ would score and look right at Cal and start jawing, almost as if Cal was a fan in the stands talking smack to him lol. It was all very playful, but was nice to see Cal challenging KJ on his defense even with the game in hand.

-Jacksonville as a city is admittedly not a wonderful layout to host these events based on how spread-out the city is, but the sports complex itself was absolutely terrific. They basically shut down the street adjacent to the arena and it’s like one big party. 72 degree weather, bars and drink stands everywhere, NO OPEN CONTAINER LAWS, bathrooms, TVs to watch games…overall a very good setup. As someone who travels to most NCAA UK games, it was a breath of fresh air. Also sell beer in the arena, not sure I can recall many arenas who do that.

-Will be back behind the bench on Saturday. The guys and coaches seemed so locked in right now. I predict our length and athleticism will wear Wofford down in second half and we’ll pull away in the last 12 minutes. Kentucky 74 Wofford 61, Reid Travis MVP. GBB.

Outstanding post. Thanks for this.

Wofford is a good matchup for us. Stayed for the first half of their game and I like this matchup. Don’t get me wrong, they are a great team. At this point of the tournament you’re going to play a top 25 caliber team and Wofford is deserving of that. But man, their offensive philosophy could play right into our hands. Two types of teams have hurt us this year; ultra-athletic bigs that negate Reid due to their length (LSU) or super quick and athletic guards who get around their man kick to the open 3 point shooter (UT-Bone). Post November- we have actually had great success against teams who are so one dimensional on offense towards the 3-ball (Auburn, Louisville). I have no doubt that Cal will devise a game plan to suffocate their shooters.

You nailed it right here . UK has trouble with teams who have athletic bigs and quick guards . Wofford while being a top 25 ( and much better then Seton Hall) isn't bad match up as they have neither . I think we can guard them for the most part but I sorta doubt they can guard us.

Kentucky can still win this tournament without Washington rather fans believe it or not. Will not be easy by any means, but Kentucky is still better than most teams on the perimeter and not many teams is rolling a big like Nick Richards or EJ Montgomery off of the bench and starting an experienced fifth year senior, that is good as Travis.. I think Kentucky will be fine in the scheme of things, just keep taking it one game at a time..

Awesome stuff man.

Wofford has me concerned a little. This made me feel better because I was thinking the same things. We are just too athletic and looonnnng for them.

Reactions: Colonial Farm 80
Wofford is a good matchup for us. Stayed for the first half of their game and I like this matchup. Don’t get me wrong, they are a great team. At this point of the tournament you’re going to play a top 25 caliber team and Wofford is deserving of that. But man, their offensive philosophy could play right into our hands. Two types of teams have hurt us this year; ultra-athletic bigs that negate Reid due to their length (LSU) or super quick and athletic guards who get around their man kick to the open 3 point shooter (UT-Bone). Post November- we have actually had great success against teams who are so one dimensional on offense towards the 3-ball (Auburn, Louisville). I have no doubt that Cal will devise a game plan to suffocate their shooters.

You nailed it right here . UK has trouble with teams who have athletic bigs and quick guards . Wofford while being a top 25 ( and much better then Seton Hall) isn't bad match up as they have neither . I think we can guard them for the most part but I sorta doubt they can guard us.

Really no teams in the bracket that fits the mold, still think it is gonna be Kentucky-North Carolina 3.0 in the Elite Eight for the Cal era..

Kentucky can still win this tournament without Washington rather fans believe it or not. Will not be easy by any means, but Kentucky is still better than most teams on the perimeter and not many teams is rolling a big like Nick Richards or EJ Montgomery off of the bench and starting an experienced fifth year senior, that is good as Travis.. I think Kentucky will be fine in the scheme of things, just keep taking it one game at a time..
We ain't winning the tournament without him. But we don't have to. Just get thru this weekend and he will play. Pain in the foot after 13 days compared to 6 days with a sprain ( which I have had twice in my life ) is a huge difference . You could tell just watching him on the bench jump up and down it is simply a pain thing and once it subsides he will be fine . We can beat Wofford due to having 6x the NBA talent without PJ and maybe beat Houston or Iowa st without him but we aint beating UNC without him.

Great post. Wish we had more like this.

Question - where did you guys eat? Any places where UK fans gathered?

The official UK pep rally was at a place called Manifest Distillery, about two blocks from the arena. It was cool, but didn't have a lot of seating or TVs to watch the other games. The other two spots where folks congregated were Intuition Ale Works and Jacksonville Sports Pub, both within a block of arena. Bar food, nothing special but lots of good brews, sunshine and UK fans.

Reactions: LowCountryCat
We ain't winning the tournament without him. But we don't have to. Just get thru this weekend and he will play. Pain in the foot after 13 days compared to 6 days with a sprain ( which I have had twice in my life ) is a huge difference . You could tell just watching him on the bench jump up and down it is simply a pain thing and once it subsides he will be fine . We can beat Wofford due to having 6x the NBA talent without PJ and maybe beat Houston or Iowa st without him but we aint beating UNC without him.

Gotta believe they can man, everyone said the 98 team had no chance because of Shepherd's ankle..

I also attended our game in Jacksonville last night, and will drive back up for the Wofford game tomorrow. I don’t live very far from Jacksonville.

I felt like we got great efforts last night from Reid Travis and Keldon Johnson. These guys are relentless.

Also, EJ Montgomery played hard but took some poor shots too early in the clock. Baker gave us some solid minutes off the bench.

The rest of our team played down to the level of the competition. This is to be expected from young players, but Saturday will be different.

Wofford is for real. They have multiple dangerous shooters. Magee gets all the praise from the press, but the other guard Nathan Hoover has length and drains threes. Both will have to be defended well, but we cannot overlook their center Cam Jackson who more than holds his own on the boards and can score on the inside.

Seton Hall beat us in December. Wofford dominated Seton Hall yesterday. Wofford hit 46% from three. It will take a big effort for us to beat Wofford without Washington, but we can do it if we can stop Magee and Hoover from killing us with threes. Our guards need to play a lot better tomorrow than they played yesterday. That is the #1 key.

Shoot some cortisone in it and take two percocet before the game and at halftime.

Thanks very much for the unique perspective. And hope you enjoyed those prime seats.

Shoot some cortisone in it and take two percocet before the game and at halftime.
I don't know about the Percs during a game but I suspect that is what they will do for him next weekend when he does play. I just don't see him playing on Saturday but simply if you can't find a way to beat a team who you have 6x the amount of NBA talent over then you don't deserve to advance in the dance. Doesn't mean we win by much but I have faith we can win.

I was sitting slightly to your right around mid court. I had a different take on P.J. I thought he was relaxed and looked like a man that knew he was going to play again and soon.
Team looked good. Energy was good. Crowd was good. MD fans will definitely cheer against us, LSU will probably cheer for us since we wouldn’t play until the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: runt#69
I was sitting slightly to your right around mid court. I had a different take on P.J. I thought he was relaxed and looked like a man that knew he was going to play again and soon.
Team looked good. Energy was good. Crowds was good. MD fans will definitely cheer against us, LSU will probably cheer for us since we wouldn’t play until the end.

You cheer for Terps, we will cheer for Kentucky...

Reactions: Colonial Farm 80

Now that is as good as it gets when it comes to posting info... A BIG THANKS

Great post, thanks! Hope you have a great time there but it sounds like it would be hard not to with such awesome seats.

Keep us updated!

Also, I agree on Ashton. We can mainly fill in for everyone else, but Ashton as well as Herro are two that we just cannot replace. Crazy to think how different our team became when he took the reins. He may get ahead of himself sometimes, but he plays hard and has all the talent in the world. We need him to have control of our offense to for us to be at our best.

Thought your take on IQ was spot on as well. He just doesn’t seem comfortable at point at all. Not much of a driver or distributor. He can be a good spot up shooter but he has to learn how to get open. He will have some big games for us in the future once he starts playing to his strengths, but he has a ways to go. Glad to have him on our squad but it seems he just hasn’t had everything click just yet. Will be fun to see it happen and I expect it sooner rather than later. Is a smart player and it usually doesn’t take long for players like IQ to find a role to flourish in.

Reactions: bfawns

You are amazingly bi-polar. Earlier this week you argued that we couldn't win it WITH him and now you're arguing that we can win it without him.

Reactions: Rembrandt90
Great post OP.
Also, I agree that we are not going to Minneapolis without PJ playing. The most frustrating thing to me is the lack of development/killer instinct my EJ and Nick. Playing much lower competition, they should have tried to dunk the ball every time. EJ got yanked because Hagans gave him a perfect alley-oop opportunity, and he came down with it only to have a jump ball with that 5' 7" guard.

Thanks for your post. I think EJ may play a little more than first thought, simply because his length could really bother their outside shooters. First couple of defensive possessions will tell whether he can stay with them, or not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT