ADVERTISEMENT

Florida’s Castleton

To be fair they could’ve called like 10 fouls on Oscar. I think Castleton yelled for a foul about 20 times. Dude balled out though and stole the NPOY’s lunch money. Credit where credit is due.
Yelling for a foul and actually getting fouled are 2 different things. The fact that Castleton had 3 fouls and 1 of those being intentional at the end is laughable.

Castleton always plays great against us. Coach knew what was going to happen with OT not being able to guard him the minute he stepped on the court. Yet, no adjustments made, whether it being giving our 6-11 a chance to slow him down or better yet, how about doubling on him every time he catches the ball near the basket? The one guy to have a game plan ready for. But not smart enough to figure it out.

Castleton always plays great against us. Coach knew what was going to happen with OT not being able to guard him the minute he stepped on the court. Yet, no adjustments made, whether it being giving our 6-11 a chance to slow him down or better yet, how about doubling on him every time he catches the ball near the basket? The one guy to have a game plan ready for. But not smart enough to figure it out.

We played them twice last year. How’d Oscar do then?

Early in the game last night we did double on castleton and for the briefest of moments I gave cal credit for actually game planning for a change. For some strange reason we went completely away from that though allowing castleton to score at will. I’m sure cal had his reasoning and I’m also positive his reasoning would make little to no sense.

Reactions: uk78
Besides the walks, he has been grabbing Oscar all game with no calls at all. Yet, Oscar breathes on Castleton and they blow the whistle.

I believe it was Oscar's 4th foul that was truly a joke..

Castleton is behind him on the block, Oscar isn't even facing him, Castleton makes a move for a layup, continues to go behind him, shoots (forget if it goes in) and its a foul. I don't think Oscar even made a defensive move and it really looked like Castleton just tried to make small contact on his back to draw the foul.

Felt like a call the officials would make no matter what. It was in their mind to give Florida a chance, whether Oscar touched the guy or not.

Reactions: gharding07
The more I think about it, most coaches would have put Ware on him for a couple of minutes to bang him around and see if that bothered him .... kinda surprised Cal didn't, since he plays Ware against teams like Gonzaga, Sparty, Kansas ....

Reactions: struggler
They did try to double. Castleton tries to spin and we pinned him multiple tries forcing him to get rid of the ball. Castleton was able to shoot over Oscar when getting the ball in the low paint area. He just had the physical attributes and experience necessary to beat Oscar

Early in the game last night we did double on castleton and for the briefest of moments I gave cal credit for actually game planning for a change. For some strange reason we went completely away from that though allowing castleton to score at will. I’m sure cal had his reasoning and I’m also positive his reasoning would make little to no sense.
Of course everyone forgets the 12 second non 3 second call where Oscar stayed in the lane. Castleton was great and I equally thought Cal had a good defensive plan to shut him down. You can debate why we went away from doing it. But the last several minutes of the game it was clear we couldn't stop Castleton and yet our defensive strategy allowed him isolation after isolation vs the dbl team that had worked early on to shut him down. I simply don't get Cal anymore (as in other discussions regarding Reeves).

Castleton walked nearly every time, yes
“Someone” should’ve recognized that’s how it was (not) being called and adjusted accordingly
Castleton is not really that great a player.. but to give him credit he did take advantage and did what he had to do

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT