ADVERTISEMENT

Finals - Cowtown Cat vs. drcats2013

Who would win head to head

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DraftCat

Senior
Nov 5, 2011
Welcome to the All-Time College Basketball Playoffs for the last 20 years. (2001-2021) *As long as they played in 1 game that year they are eligible*

The objective was to build a team of 10 players that would win head to head vs your opponent such as March Madness.

Bracket

Finals Matchup

@Cowtown Cat - Zion Williamson, Shabazz Napier, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Kawhi Leonard, Bam Adebayo, Doron Lamb, Mike Dunleavy, Marvin Bagley, DeAaron Fox, Devin Booker

vs.

@drcats2013 - Dwayne Wade, Derrick Rose, Joakim Noah, Tayshaun Prince, Julius Randle, Kyle Korver, Drew Gooden, Deron Williams, Willie Cauley Stein, PJ Tucker

Starters will be:

Fox
Napier
MKG
Zion
Bam

Will use my bench quite a bit in this one, depending on matchups, I would imagine. Also, I’ll be mixing in some zone, forcing his team to prove they can make shots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I love that Fox/Napier backcourt. Put Dunleavy at the three and he compliments them perfectly.

On the other end, I like the idea of Prince at the 4 and Randle at the 5 with those guards dr has. Go super small and get out in transition. Plus, I think a senior Tayshaun Prince actually makes it hard for a freshman Zion.

Last edited:
I love that Fox/Napier backcourt. Put Dunleavy at the three and he compliments them perfectly.

I like the idea of Prince at the 4 and Randle at the 5 with those guys. Go super small and get out in transition. Plus, I think a senior Tayshaun Prince actually makes it hard for a freshman Zion.
Yeah, I wanted Prince. However, it would’ve been more “pandering”. 🤣

I do have two great perimeter defenders in Kawhi and MKG to keep those guards out of the lane. Also, Bagley can match Noah’s motor in the paint IMO.

I do have two great perimeter defenders in Kawhi and MKG to keep those guards out of the lane. Also, Bagley can match Noah’s motor in the paint IMO.
If you go Napier/Lamb, you could struggle against a Rose/Williams backcourt. I'd put Fox/Napier together and negate Rose in transition with Fox while also making Williams/Wade chase Napier off screens.

I actually think Dunleavy matches up well with Marquette version of Wade. He's 3-4 inches taller and loves to get into the lane. The college version of Dunleavy drove the lane more than people seem to remember. He's probably your most underrated weapon.

If you utilize MKG and Leonard together, does the game become a grinder and if so, can you turn this thing into a halfcourt game?

Depending on who you use, you could have a game in the high 60s/low 70s or a game in the 80s.

Your roster actually lends itself to two styles of play more than @drcats2013 .

You probably want no part of Booker in this game. If he couldn't handle Wisconsin's guards, there's no way he's keeping up with Rose, Williams, and Wade.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
If you go Napier/Lamb, you could struggle against a Rose/Williams backcourt. I'd put Fox/Napier together and negate Rose in transition with Fox while also making Williams/Wade chase Napier off screens.

I actually think Dunleavy matches up well with Marquette version of Wade. He's 3-4 inches taller and loves to get into the lane. The college version of Dunleavy drove the lane more than people seem to remember. He's probably your most underrated weapon.

If you utilize MKG and Leonard together, does the game become a grinder and if so, can you turn this thing into a halfcourt game?

Depending on who you use, you could have a game in the high 60s/low 70s or a game in the 80s.

Your roster actually lends itself to two styles of play more than @drcats2013 .

Your probably want no part of Booker in this game. If he couldn't handle Wisconsin's guards, there's no way he's keeping up with Rose, Williams, and Wade.
Yes. That’s why I would use my bench quite a bit. Situational substitutions.

Another thing about @Cowtown Cat and his roster - they have some grown men for the college level: Zion, MKG, Leonard, Bam, and Bagley is a lot of physicality for Randle, Noah, WCS, and Gooden to overcome. Randle and maybe Noah are the only men in that bunch for @drcats2013 . I could see Cowtown's kids beating dr's guys on the glass. Gooden is no good in this game and does WCS show up on the biggest stage, because he never really did so at UK when it mattered most.

Another thing about @Cowtown Cat and his roster - they have some grown men for the college level: Zion, MKG, Leonard, Bam, and Bagley is a lot of physicality for Randle, Noah, WCS, and Gooden to overcome. Randle is the only man in that bunch for @drcats2013 . I could see Cowtown's kids destroying dr's guys on the glass.
That’s what I said last round. My team is an excellent rebounding team. They all have great motors.

This is tough.

On the surface Dr seems to have it. But when I look deeper it’s harder to figure it out. Dr’s team definitely lacks when I look at WCS. I’be just never been infatuated with him, and his offense is really bad.

If one of you had Chris Lofton it would tilt this for me.

Let’s hear it. I want the pitch.

That’s what I said last round. My team is an excellent rebounding team. They all have great motors.
The thing that concerns me about dr having both WCS and Noah on the same roster is that while they both have great motors, they're both severely limited offensively. If you go with Bagley at the 5, and Zion at the 4, for example, that's a lot for those guys to defend. Bam, meanwhile, is a better two-way player than both WCS and Noah. You have the better frontcourt because you have guys who can score, rebound, and adequately defend.

That said, his backcourt has you beat by a country mile. He's going to want to speed up the game, and if you get into a transition game with those guards, you're losing by 6-8 points. You need to go with your most physical lineup. This is a game for Fox. Lamb might not play much in this game due to the fact that there's no way he's slowing down Wade and Williams.

After looking a second time, I’ve got to go Cow. The reason is because his team just has some it factor players, solid role guys, Ice water guys, and Dr having Stein, Gooden, and Tucker just doesn’t scream at me.

Good team Dr, I just think it comes up a tad short vs. Cow

This is tough.

On the surface Dr seems to have it. But when I look deeper it’s harder to figure it out. Dr’s team definitely lacks when I look at WCS. I’be just never been infatuated with him, and his offense is really bad.

If one of you had Chris Lofton it would tilt this for me.

Let’s hear it. I want the pitch.
I’ve been pitching since the thread was posted. 😆

Reactions: Gromcat
Dr's Deron Williams pick was genius. How the heck did he slide to that round? He was incredible at Illinois. If Cowtown swapped Lamb with Williams, this would be a no brainer for me and I'd hand the trophy to Cowtown.

The thing that concerns me about dr having both WCS and Noah on the same roster is that while they both have great motors, they're both severely limited offensively. If you go with Bagley at the 5, and Zion at the 4, for example, that's a lot for those guys to defend. Bam, meanwhile, is a better two-way player than both WCS and Noah. You have the better frontcourt because you have guys who can score, rebound, and adequately defend.

That said, his backcourt has you beat by a country mile. He's going to want to speed up the game, and if you get into a transition game with those guards, you're losing by 6-8 points. You need to go with your most physical lineup. This is a game for Fox. Lamb might not play much in this game due to the fact that there's no way he's slowing down Wade and Williams.
I edited my starters. I guess that’s allowed. Haven’t seen @drcats2013 post his yet. Starters are:

Fox
Napier
MKG
Zion
Bam

Will still use my bench quite a bit.

Dr's Deron Williams pick was genius. How the heck did he slide to that round? He was incredible at Illinois. If Cowtown swapped Lamb with Williams, this would be a no brainer for me and I'd hand the trophy to Cowtown.
I was going to pick him and dr got him right before I picked.

I edited my starters. I guess that’s allowed. Haven’t seen @drcats2013 post his yet. Starters are:

Fox
Napier
MKG
Zion
Bam

Will still use my bench quite a bit.
That's a gritty group. I like Dunleavy as your 6th man and then Bagley and Leonard just heaping depth at dr's kids.

The problem with dr's group is that although his guards are elite in transition, they're also a bit redundant with Rose/Wade. Both of those guys were streaky shooters in college and both preferred to slash.

1. You stop dr by stopping his transition game.
2. How do you do this? You feast on the glass and keep him off the defensive glass or you convert in the halfcourt. I like how efficient Bam/Bagley/Leonard/Dunleavy/Naper/Fox are. I think you guys could negate him by simply converting in the half court and keeping Rose and Wade out of transition.

I think you just have more dimensions than his guys.

I'm going with @Cowtown Cat .

That's a gritty group. I like Dunleavy as your 6th man and then Bagley and Leonard just heaping depth at dr's kids.

The problem with dr's group is that although his guards are elite in transition, they're also a bit redundant with Rose/Wade. Both of those guys were streaky shooters in college and both preferred to slash.

1. You stop dr by stopping his transition game.
2. How do you do this? You feast on the glass and keep him off the defensive glass or you convert in the halfcourt. I like how efficient Bam/Bagley/Leonard/Dunleavy/Naper/Fox are. I think you guys could negate him by simply converting in the half court and keeping Rose and Wade out of transition.

I think you just have more dimensions than his guys.

I'm going with @Cowtown Cat .
That’s exactly what I have in mind. In this game, Booker and Lamb would be last off the bench. If I need offense/outside shooting to space the floor.

If it becomes a track meet, Fox, MKG and Zion will be a terror in the open floor.
I don't think you want that though, although you do have guys like Leonard, Fox, and MKG that would make it hard for even elite guards like Rose to push the pace.

You want this game in the low 70s/ high 60s. If Dr ends up running and gunning, you're not winning this thing. Run your stuff through Zion, Leonard, Bam, and Bagley and get Randle in foul trouble. Once he's sitting with 2 fouls in the first half, your guys can feast because dr won't have a remaining scoring option on the low block and your wings can keep Wade and Williams from doing what they do best. Fox negates Rose.

I don't think you want that though, although you do have guys like Leonard, Fox, and MKG that would make it hard for even elite guards like Rose to push the pace.

You want this game in the low 70s/ high 60s. If Dr ends up running and gunning, you're not winning this thing. Run your stuff through Zion, Leonard, Bam, and Bagley and get Randle in foul trouble. Once he's sitting with 2 fouls in the first half, your guys can feast because dr won't have a remaining scoring option on the low block and your wings can keep Wade and Williams from doing what they do best. Fox negates Rose.
That was the exact reason I took Fox. I needed some speed in my backcourt and Wall and others were already taken. Also, I can’t help but remember him setting the all time NCAA tournament freshman scoring record of 39 points against UCLA. He’s a big game player.

I wonder if anyone took the following guys:

TJ Ford
Juan Dixon
David West - lockdown defender
Ryan Gomes
Rudy Gay

I wonder if anyone took the following guys:

TJ Ford
Juan Dixon
David West - lockdown defender
Ryan Gomes
Rudy Gay

Made me think, which I know this thread isn’t for this, but I don’t think I saw Morrison either. No denying he was a player in college.

Another name I would have considered for a role player was CDR. Although I hate Memphis, he’s easily my favorite Memphis player of all time. I grew up in the area so I guess it’s natural.

The guy was high IQ, ice cold, a team guy, never caused a problem, and gritty.

Another Memphis kid that never gets mentioned is Rodney Carney. Straight baller. Both players would have fit in well at UK in any era.

@drcats2013 has the best backcourt I’ve seen in this game. D-Wade, Rose and Deron Williams were all absolute badasses in college.

And, as we’ve seen, guards drive the boat in the NCAA tournament.

Reactions: drcats2013
@drcats2013 has the best backcourt I’ve seen in this game. D-Wade, Rose and Deron Williams were all absolute badasses in college.

And, as we’ve seen, guards drive the boat in the NCAA tournament.
Fox/Napier were pretty good at their best in college. Naper shots 41% from three his senior year, and about 45% on his two point field goals. He averaged 18/game as a senior and won a national title.

Put him and Fox together, and that's a formidable backcourt. It's not as good as dr's (especially if dr goes small with Wade at the 3), but it can hold it's own against Rose/Williams. I like that Cowtown's group can play multiple styles and run through guards or interior players.

I still see your point, however. I had a hard time with this choice and it could have gone either way.

A question I should have asked earlier in this tournament.
If a player played multiple years, do you base it on their best year or their average overall time in college?

There are some guys that developed into good college players after a few years but weren’t instant game changers.

Guys like Napier and Noah weren’t much force as freshman but became really great contributors to good teams later in their college years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT