ADVERTISEMENT

Edwards and Bradshaw

Edwards and Bradshaw should be reduced to the Vaudeville warm up sideshow Couch Cal ordered up for Shady Shape. By Couch Cal's own words, it's not fair to play them, since they're obviously not ready for the big stage and all...wouldn't be fair to embarrass them.

PiyY6F4.png

Reactions: ck-2
Edwards isn't an elite athlete and has zero right hand. I know some guys favor their dominant hand but no one at this level literally can't use the other to even dribble.

If he fixes that maybe he can recover. Still I don't see him ever living up to the billing because he is t an elite athlete and has virtually zero basketball savvy

Reactions: K_TIME and crestcat
I hate to give up on kids, but it is getting to the time of the season when you can’t afford to play guys just hoping they will turn on.
I think you’re right regarding Edward’s. I think Bradshaw is hitting the freshman wall. But he has done some good things this year. He needs a reset.

Edwards isn't an elite athlete and has zero right hand. I know some guys favor their dominant hand but no one at this level literally can't use the other to even dribble.

If he fixes that maybe he can recover. Still I don't see him ever living up to the billing because he is t an elite athlete and has virtually zero basketball savvy
The only thing Edward’s needs to fix is what’s happening between his ears. I’m sure he’s got talent and ability. But for a kid like him this is likely the first time in his life he has struggled playing ball. These blue chip kids have dominated their entire lives. He’s in uncharted territory. It can’t be easy. But the team can’t wait around for him to find confidence. He’s had chances to find it already

I get it but I don’t care about the NBA I’m talking about for this team .

Also keeping him at PG hasn’t done anything but dropped his NBA stock anyway so why keep forcing it .
I don’t care about the NBA either, haven’t watched a game in years, Cal’s the one that cares about the NBA. If DJ doesn’t make it as a pg he doesn’t make it.

I don’t care about the NBA either, haven’t watched a game in years, Cal’s the one that cares about the NBA. If DJ doesn’t make it as a pg he doesn’t make it.
I love the NBA but I don’t think he absolutely has to play PG to make it .I do get what you and others are saying but the NBA is positionless at this point . There are a few small backcourts. DJ focusing on going right more and improving his shot would be easier than him learning to play PG. It’s tough as a scorer when you have to play point and focus on putting guys in the best position to score

I love the NBA but I don’t think he absolutely has to play PG to make it .I do get what you and others are saying but the NBA is positionless at this point . There are a few small backcourts. DJ focusing on going right more and improving his shot would be easier than him learning to play PG. It’s tough as a scorer when you have to play point and focus on putting guys in the best position to score
I want Cal to play any of the guys how it will best help UK win games, but I have seen Cal try to drive round pegs into square holes.

For everyone with opinions on playing time and grudges about what Calipari is doing, I recommend a simple -- though time consuming -- tonic. Coach somewhere. Junior League soccer. Pee Wee football. Anything. Just so that you have the responsibility for allotting playing time.

I was the least likely person to coach any sport. Stephen Hawking at least had the buzzy voice synthesizer that people would stop and listen to. I had around 14 kids to fit into 11 spaces. And 28 parents to please.

You'd learn several things. The first and most obvious is that 8 year old boys can be funny, maddening, stupid, and great to be around. Second, you'd learn to have no opinions about what another coach does in allocating playing time.

For everyone with opinions on playing time and grudges about what Calipari is doing, I recommend a simple -- though time consuming -- tonic. Coach somewhere. Junior League soccer. Pee Wee football. Anything. Just so that you have the responsibility for allotting playing time.

I was the least likely person to coach any sport. Stephen Hawking at least had the buzzy voice synthesizer that people would stop and listen to. I had around 14 kids to fit into 11 spaces. And 28 parents to please.

You'd learn several things. The first and most obvious is that 8 year old boys can be funny, maddening, stupid, and great to be around. Second, you'd learn to have no opinions about what another coach does in allocating playing time.
You weren’t being paid 9 million to win ball games.

Reactions: Cats192
If he’s not ready for the college game then he never will be this year. He has been practicing with college players for 3 months now. How is he not ready anyway? He looked ready against Georgia. How is he not ready but Bradshaw is? Really confused by your take here. Do you think last nights 3 minutes of PT helped prepare him more?
Practice ready isn't necessarily game ready. I don't know how else to say it. We're in the thick of SEC play against the strongest SEC MBB slate in years. Would've been great if Z could've gotten his feet wet against early season cupcakes, but he didn't, so he's just now getting game minutes for the first time in months against guys who've played in almost 20 games.

His first game success against Georgia was likely because he was an unknown to the Dawgs. They shut him down later in the same game. So yeah, there's a good chance he's not ready this year despite the fact that he's got great skills.

I know edwards is not performing up to standards and Bradshaw is kinda lost at times.

Our coach has got to figure out a strategy to play to our strengths and forget about weaknesses.

Remember all the put backs and dunks Marcus Lee had? That guy had the right attitude.

Neither is Calipari. He's paid that to teach basketball to students at the University of Kentucky.

That's just incorrect. I've gone from Camp Fire Cal to Camp Cal righted the ship.

But, this is major college sports. You are paid to win games. Coaches get fired all the time for subpar results. No one ever keeps their job because "Well, they're doing such a great job of teaching basketball to these students."

In regards to your post about keeping the parents happy--this is major college sports. Every other school has kids that don't get to play. Life's tough. Hell, high school teams don't play every player just to appease the parents.

Edwards needs garbage minutes only! He just can’t do anything.

Bradshaw should be behind Ugo and Z. Loafs and gets pushed around too easy
Nobody takes into consideration the promises that CCC has made to the families and teams of these players. If he doesn't follow up and fulfill those promises of starting and amount of minutes, word would get out and recruiting elite athletes' would become very difficult. Without the very elite athletes, his coaching prowess would show and nobody would come here.

Nobody takes into consideration the promises that CCC has made to the families and teams of these players. If he doesn't follow up and fulfill those promises of starting and amount of minutes, word would get out and recruiting elite athletes' would become very difficult. Without the very elite athletes, his coaching prowess would show and nobody would come here.
I hate when the facts get in the way of the narratives.

Justin Edwards was #3 and has given us nothing. I wonder what promise he's keeping to him? Edwards came off the bench. He played 9 minutes. But yeah, Cal is keeping a promise to him.

Bradshaw was #4. He isn't giving us a ton. Cal commented he's probably going to start Ugo and bring Bradshaw off the bench. Bradshaw got a whole 12 minutes in the last game.

But don't take that into consideration. Cal obviously only cares about keeping promises.

The only thing Edward’s needs to fix is what’s happening between his ears. I’m sure he’s got talent and ability. But for a kid like him this is likely the first time in his life he has struggled playing ball. These blue chip kids have dominated their entire lives. He’s in uncharted territory. It can’t be easy. But the team can’t wait around for him to find confidence. He’s had chances to find it already

Without elite athleticism, he isn't going anywhere unless he gets his right hand at least serviceable

What the heck are you talking about?

1. College cosches are paid enormously and part of it is to play the best to win for the program that pays those salaries

2. A rec league is one thing…..Uk basketball should not care a lick of making kids or their families happy

I understand Cal playing those guys in November through January.

Come Thursday, it’s February. Time to sit them and play your best 7-8 guys.

The exception would be Ivisic. Need to get him some reps to see what we have there.

But Edwards has had more than his fair share of opportunities to show what he has. Bradshaw has had his shot as well.

Time to play to win. The time to experiment has passed.

Combined for 0 points. That’s seems almost mathematically impossible.
Edwards has great size for a 3 (small forward) he's got a beautiful shot. Just one problem. They don't go in. UK even runs plays for him to get open shots but they don't go in. In the pre season there were those & I'm not talking about UK fans that were saying that Edwards might be the #1 overall pick in the 2024 NBA draft. If he could just come close to playing like the #1 pick, what a difference it would make.

Reactions: westerncat
I hate when the facts get in the way of the narratives.

Justin Edwards was #3 and has given us nothing. I wonder what promise he's keeping to him? Edwards came off the bench. He played 9 minutes. But yeah, Cal is keeping a promise to him.

Bradshaw was #4. He isn't giving us a ton. Cal commented he's probably going to start Ugo and bring Bradshaw off the bench. Bradshaw got a whole 12 minutes in the last game.

But don't take that into consideration. Cal obviously only cares about keeping promises.
Good lord dude. We are 19 games in to a 31 game season. Edwards has been really bad for awhile now yet despite having minutes cut he is still playing. Bradshaw has not made an impact really at all since his first few games and is getting pushed around fairly easily on the court. There are no facts that has gotten in the way of any agenda. The only facts are that here are two players that are getting undeserved playing time. Edwards doesn’t deserve a minute of meaningful PT and Bradshaw certainly doesn’t deserve 20 minutes/game which is what he has averaged over his 12 games.

They had 4 rebounds combined.

Bradshaw is so slow and weak below the waist. Not sure what he is good at other than being tall.

Poor Edwards. I feel sorry for the kid. He just isnt a high level D 1 basketball player.
Watching Bradshaw sprinting up the court in an earlier game reminded me of an old school big somewhat. Just expected more athleticism from him. Just looked slower and stiffer in the hips than I expected.

Good lord dude. We are 19 games in to a 31 game season. Edwards has been really bad for awhile now yet despite having minutes cut he is still playing. Bradshaw has not made an impact really at all since his first few games and is getting pushed around fairly easily on the court. There are no facts that has gotten in the way of any agenda. The only facts are that here are two players that are getting undeserved playing time. Edwards doesn’t deserve a minute of meaningful PT and Bradshaw certainly doesn’t deserve 20 minutes/game which is what he has averaged over his 12 games.
Your original point was that Cal has to keep his promises and therefore has to give the kids minutes. When confronted with the fact that he's slashing their minutes you're saying you can't believe he's giving them any.

But, he promised them a certain number of minutes right? And that they would start, right? So now Edwards is on the bench. Edwards got 9 whole minutes. Do you think that is what Cal promised? "Come to Kentucky, and you'll never go below 9 minutes." He told Bradhshaw, "I might bench you if someone else is better. But you'll never go below 12 minutes."

I can't believe these kids commit for such lousy promises.

Last edited:
Your original point was that Cal has to keep his promises and therefore has to give the kids minutes. When confronted with the fact that he's slashing their minutes you're saying you can't believe he's giving them any.

But, he promised them a certain number of minutes right? And that they would start, right? So now Edwards is on the bench. Edwards got 9 whole minutes. Do you think that is what Cal promised? "Come to Kentucky, and you'll never go below 9 minutes." He told Bradhshaw, "I might bench you if someone else is better. But you'll never go below 12 minutes."

I can't believe these kids commit for such lousy promises.
His promise, assuming he made one, has been kept and then some. You think any other players who have performed like Edwards in the least, would have gotten anywhere near the PT he has gotten with the same production, or lack there of. I mean Bradshaw at least you could argue was worth giving some minutes too and see how he progressed but it was apparent early on that he would not stand up to the physicality of CBB with his current frame. There is no one in Edwards corner that could look at cal with a straight face and say he didn’t give Edwards his shot. Same for Bradshaw, yet he will continue getting more minutes than he deserves, at the expense of the development of Z who could take us to the next level that neither Ugo nor Bradshaw can.

His promise, assuming he made one, has been kept and then some. You think any other players who have performed like Edwards in the least, would have gotten anywhere near the PT he has gotten with the same production, or lack there of. I mean Bradshaw at least you could argue was worth giving some minutes too and see how he progressed but it was apparent early on that he would not stand up to the physicality of CBB with his current frame. There is no one in Edwards corner that could look at cal with a straight face and say he didn’t give Edwards his shot. Same for Bradshaw, yet he will continue getting more minutes than he deserves, at the expense of the development of Z who could take us to the next level that neither Ugo nor Bradshaw can.
So you think Cal promised him minutes. Benched him. Cut his minutes to 9. And then Cal upheld his promise because the kid shouldn't get any minutes.

If that's all it takes to get kids here, we should promise them all minutes.

So you think Cal promised him minutes. Benched him. Cut his minutes to 9. And then Cal upheld his promise because the kid shouldn't get any minutes.

If that's all it takes to get kids here, we should promise them all minutes.
If you promise a kid minutes, you aren’t promising them 40 minutes a game or even 30 minutes a game. What you are promising them is they will get every chance in the world to develop their games. Some players will not get that same chance, burks for example. Edwards, believe it or not, is 5th on the team in minutes played this year with 415. Did you know he has played more minutes than Dillingham? The promise is they will get more than a fair chance not that they can suck all year and still get to play as many minutes as they like. As I stated earlier, which should have been pretty damn easy to comprehend, cal has fulfilled any promise he made or potentially made when it comes to Edwards. At this stage all bets are off.

Editing to add that Wagner (despite missing a game) has played more minutes than Reed despite Reed leading him in every single statistical category. Points (218 to 216), assist ( 77-67), rebounds (77-34), and steals (47-19).

Last edited:
And that's why this team won't win anything that matters. Had to have the majority of the freshmen do well.
We need Edwards and Bradshaw to play well if they’re on the floor 25 minutes every game. If they’re just getting spot duty it’s not so important. I still think we have plenty to win without them.

If Z dropped as much weight as Cal said, then he's got to get back in shape and attuned to college speed. His first night was a flash in the pan. Was easy to see that his productivity dropped once Georgia began keying in on him.

Z is good – he can be really good. However, throwing him to the wolves in an away game wouldn't be a great situation. Yes, he's been conditioning. Yes, he's been practicing. Unfortunately, it's been stated that Z didn't get certain practice reps because he wasn't going to be contributing minutes.

He's used to Euro Ball, not NCAAMBB. He's making mistakes/committing fouls that American players don't usually make, which I suspect contributed to Cal not trusting him in a tight away game against a raucous crowd. Z also has a nasty habit of looking to/pleading with the ref when he doesn't get a call. That makes him a liability in a fast-paced SEC game and also liable to earn a technical. He's got to get game minutes, but not at the cost of a W.

Z will come into his own with time. I agree he's better than Bradshaw right now, who for whatever reason can't seem to understand that you can't go over the back of an opposing player for a rebound – but I digress....
Funny how Edwards gets tons of run despite being totally ineffective and Z doesn't get to sniff the floor. Hopkins 2.0.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT