ADVERTISEMENT

How did we win the game with nothing from our big men?

We got MAJOR, MAJOR contributions from Ugo and Thiero on the defensive end. MAJOR.

Those 2 dudes set the tone early in this game for our toughness.

Then the shotmaking put it away.
This. OP🤦‍♀️

Ugo may have 'only' had 4 blocks but the altered shots and those not even taken because of him make a big difference. Great team performance and a huge win for the cats.

Onyenso 0 points (0-0 from the field), Mitchell 0 points (0-2 from the field), Bradshaw 0 points (0-1 from the field), and Big Z 0 points (0-0 from the field). I watched a lot of basketball over my lifetime, but never have I seen a team win without any inside game whatever. Thiero had 0 points (0-2 from the field) at forward. I can't remember a game where guards scored every point.
They did what they had too, didn’t take a lot of shots, rebounded and blocked shots. It was a good game for not scoring for them.

Reactions: crestcat
Best perimeter in the country just needs the frontcourt to be tough and competent.

Onyenso 0 points (0-0 from the field), Mitchell 0 points (0-2 from the field), Bradshaw 0 points (0-1 from the field), and Big Z 0 points (0-0 from the field). I watched a lot of basketball over my lifetime, but never have I seen a team win without any inside game whatever. Thiero had 0 points (0-2 from the field) at forward. I can't remember a game where guards scored every point.
I can't say we got nothing from the big men, O was pretty tough in the lane playing defense.

Ugo/Thiero combined for 12 rebs and 6 blocks so they showed up. One of the few games all year that we won the boards. And Edwards had 16/6/3.
Z/Bradshaw/Mitchell only played 17 minutes combined.
I thought Cal actually did a good job overall in this one with playing the guys that were producing and adapting to the situation.
Thankfully Cal couldn’t play DJ much because of his foul trouble.

Bradshaw probably needs to keep the warm-ups on for the postseason unless Ugo/Z are in foul trouble. His horrific decision to take that baseline jumper is what parked him on the bench for the rest of the game and I'm glad Cal did it. He knows Bradshaw isn't helping this team.

In no world other than in a UK jersey should Aaron Bradshaw even consider the NBA right now.

Ugo was a HUGE reason UK won.

Z never got much of a chance, as others have pointed out, due to a couple of minutes at a time. He still sets moving screens every time and that sh*t has to stop. Refs are onto him, clearly, because it's getting called a lot.

First. Most important. Kentucky is basically 100% healthy. Tre still dealing with what Im guessing is shoulder fatigue and Thiero with a finger but overall nothing that is significant enough to make them miss time. Tre gets 3-4 more days of treatment and building strength back in that shoulder.

Second. Kentucky across the board is playing much better team defense because they are finally playing together for an extended period of time. Now, depending on the game, Kentucky has the ability to play different bigs according to how they fit. They don't have to be scorers, albeit that makes the offense more potent, but they just have to defend, rebound, and not make significant mistakes. Our guards are one of the best 4-piece ensemble in college basketball which needs know explaining.

Third. The emergence of Justin Edwards. He was supposed to be a switch blade knife kind of player and he's starting to see that. Rebounding, defending, scoring, all improved. There aren't many teams who have a forward/guard like him. His playing well draws more attention away from everyone else.

Stay healthy and determined and this team can win it all.

Reactions: kywildcats8
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT