ADVERTISEMENT

Edwards and Bradshaw

Bradshaw struggling with size and physicality of SEC basketball was easy to predict, but Edwards being a negative is maybe the most surprised I've been with a recruit in a while. In HS he just seemed to positively impact the game in so many ways. It's clear the athleticism is somewhat of an issue but confidence and comfort seem to be the biggest problems for him. Mental at this point.
I think he was easy to scout at the college level and he hasn’t been able to adjust or add anything new. He has a limited set of tools that were probably fairly effective in high school, but every college has a guy who can lock them down. He’s also pretty dead legged. Last year Ugona looked this confused and equally like he was moving in jello so maybe Edwards could improve in year two too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
He's stronger than Bradshaw and the only way you get used to these games is by playing in them. I agree, he may not have helped a bunch tonight. I'm speaking more in the grand scheme of things. If Z isn't playing a larger role, this teams ceiling is lower.
Oh, I definitely agree that he needs more of Bradshaw's AND Edwards minutes. Those 2 didn't score today and played way more than Big Z. Z can play the 3/4/5.

I wouldn’t say Bradshaw is “useless”. He’s VERY inconsistent and very raw, but he did play a massive part in 2 of our biggest wins (UNC and Florida). Not sure if he’ll ever play like a top 3 recruit consistently but I feel confident he will play a big role in at least a few more big wins

But Z is behind Bradshaw? This team will never reach their full potential because of cal. I won’t be surprised if we have seen the last of Z.
People seem to believe that there static values for talent. Z needs game experience to contribute regularly. Unfortunately half the season went by before he was cleared. There's no magic to mumble to give him experience.

Bradshaw and Ugo combined for 37 minutes and 7 rebounds and 6 points. Z played 2 minutes with 2 rebounds.
I'm not sure the minutes and production are adding up...

At this rate, they're playing their way to G-League oblivion.

He dominated HS but he isn’t a true PG like Wall is and he isn’t athletic . Also doesn’t help this is his first time playing PG in years . Idk why Cal is forcing that on the team .
I'm aware. I'm simply referring to the amount of hype and attention he got dating back to when he was in middle school and as a freshman, specifically. He was the next "cover boy, sure fire star."

We don’t beat UNC without Bradshaw. I think the potential is there as a stretch player but he struggles under the basket. Could be a good player next year is he puts on some muscle.

People seem to believe that there static values for talent. Z needs game experience to contribute regularly. Unfortunately half the season went by before he was cleared. There's no magic to mumble to give him experience.
Then why play him at all? You don’t let a player make their debut and have the coming out party Z had only to be put back on the bench. It’s nonsensical!!!! You really think Bradshaw is bringing more to the table than Z is? X is better both offensively and defensively yet Bradshaw is playing and Z is not.

Then why play him at all? You don’t let a player make their debut and have the coming out party Z had only to be put back on the bench. It’s nonsensical!!!! You really think Bradshaw is bringing more to the table than Z is? X is better both offensively and defensively yet Bradshaw is playing and Z is not.
And if Z is so far behind (?) Bradshaw and UGO like Cal supposedly said, then why does Cal insert Z in the first 5-minutes or so of the last 3-games before Arkansas??

Was Cal hoping Z stayed in Croatia over the holiday to eleviate the rotation conundrum???
Did Cal throw Z into the Georgia/ S.Carolina games early expecting (?) him to struggle???

As bad as most of the UK players played today (about the ugliest UK win I've ever seen), I think Z could have seen the floor more than 2-minutes.

But Z is behind Bradshaw? This team will never reach their full potential because of cal. I won’t be surprised if we have seen the last of Z.
If Z dropped as much weight as Cal said, then he's got to get back in shape and attuned to college speed. His first night was a flash in the pan. Was easy to see that his productivity dropped once Georgia began keying in on him.

Z is good – he can be really good. However, throwing him to the wolves in an away game wouldn't be a great situation. Yes, he's been conditioning. Yes, he's been practicing. Unfortunately, it's been stated that Z didn't get certain practice reps because he wasn't going to be contributing minutes.

He's used to Euro Ball, not NCAAMBB. He's making mistakes/committing fouls that American players don't usually make, which I suspect contributed to Cal not trusting him in a tight away game against a raucous crowd. Z also has a nasty habit of looking to/pleading with the ref when he doesn't get a call. That makes him a liability in a fast-paced SEC game and also liable to earn a technical. He's got to get game minutes, but not at the cost of a W.

Z will come into his own with time. I agree he's better than Bradshaw right now, who for whatever reason can't seem to understand that you can't go over the back of an opposing player for a rebound – but I digress....

Reactions: catben
This is what I don’t get. Why does Cal feel like Ivisic can’t play?

Ivisic needs to get more minutes. He has more potential than Bradshaw, IMHO.
My honest guess is Big Z's nonchalant-ness. There was a rebound that bounced on the floor and he stared at it for a half second before grabbing it. I agree I think we need to see more of Big Z. But I don't see a ton of fire from him. Think Cal is looking for toughness out of his bigs, especially in these past two games. Ugo was that guy tonight.

If Z dropped as much weight as Cal said, then he's got to get back in shape and attuned to college speed. His first night was a flash in the pan. Was easy to see that his productivity dropped once Georgia began keying in on him.

Z is good – he can be really good. However, throwing him to the wolves in an away game wouldn't be a great situation. Yes, he's been conditioning. Yes, he's been practicing. Unfortunately, it's been stated that Z didn't get certain practice reps because he wasn't going to be contributing minutes.

He's used to Euro Ball, not NCAAMBB. He's making mistakes/committing fouls that American players don't usually make, which I suspect contributed to Cal not trusting him in a tight away game against a raucous crowd. Z also has a nasty habit of looking to/pleading with the ref when he doesn't get a call. That makes him a liability in a fast-paced SEC game and also liable to earn a technical. He's got to get game minutes, but not at the cost of a W.

Z will come into his own with time. I agree he's better than Bradshaw right now, who for whatever reason can't seem to understand that you can't go over the back of an opposing player for a rebound – but I digress....
That’s a lot of typing when, as you say, Z is already better than bradshaw but the last two games bradhsaw has played 34 minutes to z’s 13 minutes. Z is not going to adjust to the college game sitting on the bench.

Bradshaw was pretty raw at Camden . I’m not all that shocked that he’s struggled to adjust .

I didn’t see Edwards playing like this though
Bradshaw does not come close to playing like a 7 footer. Makes no impact on either end of the floor.

Needs to only play sparing minutes. Ugo and Big Z shoukd get the majority of minutes.

Really nothing else left to say about Edwards.

Fine by me. They are proving why they shouldn't be getting minutes.

The flipside to this is that Cal us probably hurting his 1AD image.. but honestly, I think that's a good thing.

That’s a lot of typing when, as you say, Z is already better than bradshaw but the last two games bradhsaw has played 34 minutes to z’s 13 minutes. Z is not going to adjust to the college game sitting on the bench.
He's not going to adjust the college game in a good way when he's not ready for college games. It's a fine line of playing him when we can and benching him when the games are too much. Z not being used to the college game makes him more of a liability than Bradshaw right now regardless of whether his skillset and strength are better than Bradshaw's.

If Bradshaw was 6’8” or shorter he would be hanging out at Camden Community college studying Business or Communications. Some guys play basketball because they are tall.
Yeap. Sometimes you just look at a player and the first thing that comes to mind is they're just going through the motions because it's their only option in life.

He's not going to adjust the college game in a good way when he's not ready for college games. It's a fine line of playing him when we can and benching him when the games are too much. Z not being used to the college game makes him more of a liability than Bradshaw right now regardless of whether his skillset and strength are better than Bradshaw's.
If he’s not ready for the college game then he never will be this year. He has been practicing with college players for 3 months now. How is he not ready anyway? He looked ready against Georgia. How is he not ready but Bradshaw is? Really confused by your take here. Do you think last nights 3 minutes of PT helped prepare him more?

That travel by Edwards on what should have been a fast break bucket pretty much summed up what Edwards has been this year. A real head scratcher.
This! I just shook my head! Cannot believe people thought he was the next MKG! Lmao doubt we ever have another MKG. People seem to forget how good he was in college. Absolute man child! I think Richmond is much more close to that type of player than Edwards. JE is soft af.

I’ll lump DJ in there sorta, but none of Edwards, Bradshaw, or DJ, have any business going pro (NBA). All 3 however are the type that should return and build a title contender with, and improve the weaknesses in their games.

Edwards-4 year player. The scouts who missed so badly on him, shouldn’t scout again.

Bradshaw- NBA height, great motor, great attitude and teammate, but needs a second year at the college level, minimum. Just picture him going against the likes of Embiid or Jokic. Yikes!

Wagner- Will need to learn to play point guard to have any chance in the NBA, which is what Cal is currently doing at the team’s expense. Will need to develop a better mid range and 3 point game, because that telegraphed drive to his left scoop shot is just going to get some poor fan injured in the 3rd row at his games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT