ADVERTISEMENT

It's obvious that the lineup should be: Mitchell, Thiero, Reeves, Dillingham, Sheppard.

Agree 💯

That's a ten million dollar answer. Problem is we have a 9 million dollar coach.
Mitchell and Thiero are both competent rebounders and defenders. Reeves is decent defending the wing. Sheppard still struggles defensively, but he makes up for it offensively.

Play your best offensive five for 30 to 33 minutes. Wagner can be brought in for defensive help once you secure a cushion lead. If Edwards is off in the least as far as effort defensively, you sit him.

Shorten the rotation to 7 if needed.

And the bench should be Ivisic & Burks and the other guard who is left out, and maybe some Edwards. Ugo and Bradshaw just don’t offer much of anything at all

Reactions: G-PIP and TM2013
G Sheppard(30)/Wagner(10)
G Dillingham(30)/Wagner(10)
G Reeves(30)/Edwards(10)
F Thiero(30)/Mitchell(10)
F Mitchell(20)/Ivisic(10)/Onyenso(10)
That rotation makes sense, but we all know Cal is afraid that he stops playing the two Klutch superstars - Edwards and Bradshaw - Rich Paul will stop funneling him 5 star recruits.

Reactions: TM2013
No more starting Edwards, Wagner, or Bradshaw.

Wagner and Z as first off the bench. Edwards and Onyenso for extra depth. No more Bradshaw unless there is foul trouble.
giphy.gif

lol. Here is what the rotation should be:

Wagner
Shep
Reeves
Thiero
Mitchell

Bench
Dilly
Edwards
Burks

Oneyso gets minutes depending on matchup.

Dilly and Shep in together is gawd awful defensively.

Z and Bradshaw should not get any minutes. Z is flat garbage defensively and brings nothing offensively except hitting a wide open shot that takes a long time to get off. Ditto for Bradshaw.

Reactions: L B
We are like 1-5 with Sheppard starting. I think that experiment has run its course.
You, anytime you post a disagreeable comment from grammies basement while playing "King of the Castle" with grammy's computer...

Ct7R.gif

Wagner and Z as first off the bench. Edwards and Onyenso for extra depth. No more Bradshaw unless there is foul trouble.
Not starting or playing DJ and Edwards major minutes will not happen, Cal makes his drug deals with these so called super 5 stars.

It's not disagreeable. It's a simple fact. Every game Reed has started we lost except Vandy. That might be indicative of an issue with him starting.

He should still play, but he may be better as a 2. Hell, maybe you start him with Wagner, but Wagner needs to start and play a lot of pg. He has issues as well, but he can at least beat almost anyone off the dribble to get towards the rim, and he is also the only guard that plays anything resembling on ball defense.

Sadly, my "grammies" have both passed. What I wouldn't give for some of that good cooking, thought!
Cal rarely plays Sheppard, Dillingham, and Reeves together. They didn't even play five total minutes together in the last game.

This team you speak of possesses zero ability to defend

This! Only chance is play the best shooters 35 minutes and try to outscore everyone.
All of them suck defensively and can't rebound doesn't matter about height.
I see a lot of people trashing Mitchell. He was bad last few games but he was playing injured. He isn't great but he was solid before the injury. It opens up the lane with him at the 5.
Doesn't matter though we all know Cal is going to play the 7 footers.
Team hasn't been the same since they came back.

They are the worst backcourt defensive lineup. There is a reason he doesn't and shouldn't, unless it's purely an offensive thing, like a late game situation. Reeves has always been a piss poor defender, and Rob doesn't seem overly interested in playing it, Reed tries but lacks speed and strength and resorts to trying to anticipate passes, which gets him beat a lot.

If Wagner isn't in, you're usually going to have to play Edwards, Thiero or Burks at the 3 to at least have a chance on defense. None of the three are great defenders, but they are better than the other 3 guards.
You don't trade subpar defensive skills for elite offensive skills when elite offensive skills are the only chance you have at winning. UK should embrace what they are, and excel at that. The mixing and matching stuff only leads to more losses.

Your way is precisely the way Cal has been doing it, and it's directly led to losing three straight home games.

Reeves, Sheppard, and Dillingham played 93 seconds together against Gonzaga. Out of 2400 seconds they played 93 seconds.

Reeves and Sheppard...... 19 minutes of 40 in the 1st half against Gonzaga. Cal is absolutely correct when he says he lost UK the game in the 1st half.

If this were a legal situation he'd be charged with criminal negligence.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
This team you speak of possesses zero ability to defend
Wagner is the only one out of Edwards, Bradshaw and Wagner that defends anyway. What exactly do you miss by bringing Wagner off the bench? A few better defensive possessions at one position? All that for a bipolar offensive starting five? No thanks.

Wagner would still be part of the rotation, but we would actually have the roster that fits our style the best to start the game, instead of the contorted mess that Cal keeps spewing out as a rotation.

Mitchell can’t guard most of the people on this board.
Maybe, but Ugo, Bradshaw snd Z have all shown that they can’t guard anybody either. At least Mitchell has some moves in the post and can hit the three ball ( although not as much lately, maybe back issues).

It's not disagreeable. It's a simple fact. Every game Reed has started we lost except Vandy. That might be indicative of an issue with him starting.

He should still play, but he may be better as a 2. Hell, maybe you start him with Wagner, but Wagner needs to start and play a lot of pg. He has issues as well, but he can at least beat almost anyone off the dribble to get towards the rim, and he is also the only guard that plays anything resembling on ball defense.

Sadly, my "grammies" have both passed. What I wouldn't give for some of that good cooking, thought!
You must be watching a different Wagner than me.
Wagner is not a PG. He didn't even play pg in high school. He does play slightly better defense than Reed and Dillingham. I don't think the games we have lost with Reed starting at pg are the problem because Reed is clearly a better basketball player than Wagner. The problem is this team couldn't guard a lamppost.

Last edited:
It might be but it's not. Reed kept UK in the game in the 2nd half vs Gongaza and none of the losses were because of his poor play, but rather the poor play of others.

Reactions: Big Foot 275
And the bench should be Ivisic & Burks and the other guard who is left out, and maybe some Edwards. Ugo and Bradshaw just don’t offer much of anything at all
Going further with your point, I actually don't think Edwards should get any minutes except purely out of necessity. I appreciate that he does rebound some, but he's just a hurt most anytime he's in the game and there's always a better guy on the bench that should be getting his time. I think Thiero does almost everything better than Edwards and has more potential/higher upside to boot. I even like what Burks brings better than Edwards.

Edwards shoots FTs well, rebounds ok, can hit a pull-up 12'-footer pretty well, and has long arms. That's about it at this point in his career. He's not a great athlete (for example, he must have one of the lowest verticals on the team), is a horrible 3pt. shooter, and hasn't shown much of a motor or basketball IQ. He looks like a guy who might become a good player as a Jr. due to developing an all-around type of game without any one thing really standing out.

Going further with your point, I actually don't think Edwards should get any minutes except purely out of necessity. I appreciate that he does rebound some, but he's just a hurt most anytime he's in the game and there's always a better guy on the bench that should be getting his time. I think Thiero does almost everything better than Edwards and has more potential/higher upside to boot. I even like what Burks brings better than Edwards.

Edwards shoots FTs well, rebounds ok, can hit a pull-up 12'-footer pretty well, and has long arms. That's about it at this point in his career. He's not a great athlete (for example, he must have one of the lowest verticals on the team), is a horrible 3pt. shooter, and hasn't shown much of a motor or basketball IQ. He looks like a guy who might become a good player as a Jr. due to developing an all-around type of game without any one thing really standing out.
Edwards has been playing okay as of late, he shouldn’t be starting but he has been decent these past 2 games

Reactions: Tida Nysage

Not bad at all. DJ could still start if healthy but I cannot really disagree with anything said here.

What is our strength? Obviously it’s the offense. What’s our Achilles Heel? Again, obviously defense & rebounding.

We should (imo) play to our strengths by going small & run the opposition into the ground. Kill them with showing an offensive juggernaut & dare the opponent to play fast in order to try to keep up.

Bench the 7 footers & use them sparingly to rest Tre, Adu & Edwards. The big guys just slow us down & makes the defense even worse. We’re behind the eight ball anyway so why make things easier for the opposition?

In certain matchups I would agree. Atleast with Burks I know he will play hard, and Ivisic is to skilled offensively to sit out completely
Ivisic would be a lot better if cal would let him be a spot up shooter from 3pt line. He is a excellent 3pt shooter and has a high release so it would take eight foot player to keep him from getting his shot off

Wagner
Shep
Reeves
Thiero
Mitchell

Bench
Dilly
Edwards
Burks

Z and Bradshaw should not get any minutes. Z is flat garbage defensively and brings nothing offensively except hitting a wide open shot that takes a long time to get off. Ditto for Bradshaw.
You have 11 posts. Something tells me you are glued to Wagner’s nuts. Hate to tell you, he’s the 4th best guard on the team.

Reactions: Big Foot 275

Wagner
Shep
Reeves
Thiero
Mitchell

Bench
Dilly
Edwards
Burks

Z and Bradshaw should not get any minutes. Z is flat garbage defensively and brings nothing offensively except hitting a wide open shot that takes a long time to get off.

Is it?

Mitchell put together arguably the worst b2b performances I've ever seen from a scholarship player here in the UF/Tennesee games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT