ADVERTISEMENT

Duke -20.5

Mike-D

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 14, 2001
WADD
Isn’t this their first true road game? Their best players are all Freshman. When I saw the line, I figured they were at home. No. They are good, but that is so overhyped. Even if they somehow manage to cover.

Sorry for another Duke thread. I hate ‘em. But when I see something that ridiculous, I can’t help myself.

What will make you even angrier is the Zion Top 10 dunks of the season before the game that they showed.

[sick]

Yeah, just thought that was a very high spread for a team full of Freshman on the road for the first time.
Wake Forest is the worst team in the ACC this season. They were 7-6 coming into the game so that’s probably why the point spread was so high for the game even with them being the home team.

Reactions: Cindog28
I was pounding duke to cover early this season but then the Gonzaga game screwed me im still pretty surprised the lost to them. Don’t think they’ll lose more than a game or two the rest of the way if any

Reactions: HonkeyT
Wake Forest is the worst team in the ACC this season. They were 7-6 coming into the game so that’s probably why the point spread was so high for the game even with them being the home team.

I understand this take. My thought process was this: Duke is the story this year. Pack the house, and beat them. Home game effect. Don’t know if it was packed. Just saw the line, and it just felt odd. I swear, when I saw the line, I thought Duke home game. Would have bet my life on it. They covered, so I’m dumb. Either way, sticking to my story.

I was pounding duke to cover early this season but then the Gonzaga game screwed me im still pretty surprised the lost to them. Don’t think they’ll lose more than a game or two the rest of the way if any
They’ll lose at least 3 the rest of the way. They’re not this all time great team they’re made out to be. I see losses at North Carolina and Virginia at the minimum, and Florida St. and Virginia Tech will be no walk in the park either.

They’ll lose at least 3 the rest of the way. They’re not this all time great team they’re made out to be. I see losses at North Carolina and Virginia at the minimum, and Florida St. and Virginia Tech will be no walk in the park either.

They aren’t at all. But they keep destroying teams. I’m usually good at picking out teams with major deficiencies, but they seem to counter it. Just at a loss.

They aren’t at all. But they keep destroying teams. I’m usually good at picking out teams with major deficiencies, but they seem to counter it. Just at a loss.
Duke doesn't have any major deficiencies this year. Their 3p shooting and free throw shooting may cost them a game or two, though.

They don’t have a bench. They have 3 future NBA All-Stars.
True, don't have a deep bench, but K only plays about 7 guys anyway. If you look at the top couple of guys off the bench - Jack White and Bolden/Javin - not only do they have better advanced stats than anyone on UK's bench, their stats are better than all of UK's starters as well.

If Duke loses Tre, they're screwed, so you're right that the bench could be a huge deficiency. But right now it's not.

When I saw the line, I figured they were at home. No. They are good, but that is so overhyped. Even if they somehow manage to cover.
Mike I don't know if you are a daily player, but the best lines tonight was Tennessee and Dook. My buddies and I pounded them both.

I am a Wake Forest fan, and they really are horrible this year.

Bunch of us still waiting on that quote from Carter's mom that it was all about his draft stock.

But because I know you had some struggles this afternoon with links, I'll help you out.

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/...e-race-between-udub-dook-and-uk.284610/page-2

No the link you requested was related to the carters actually liking Duke and attending CTC this year. You have that.
Not even someone like Kylia Carter would be so obtuse as to come out and say “this is about self promotion.” You’d have to be even more obtuse to expect her to.

Too high of a spread to bet despite Wake Forests low caliber. However, if duke played at even 50 percent the last ten minutes of that game, hey win by 35 plus. Zion was getting silly as was RJ and Cam was in the locker room. They play with an incredible energy throughout and heir defense is a bit huts. They blocked 22 percent of Wake Forests shots in the first half. I’m not sure I’ve ever heard that done in D1

As mentioned, shooting and front court depth are real weaknesses that will cost them. If Tennessee doesn’t pull their usual tournament choke job, I think they’re the worst type of matchup for Duke with their strong frontcourt along with deep bench.

Reactions: Mike-D
Mike I don't know if you are a daily player, but the best lines tonight was Tennessee and Dook. My buddies and I pounded them both.

I am a Wake Forest fan, and they really are horrible this year.

Haven’t watched them all year. Anytime I see a team full of Freshman at -20.5 on their first game on the road, which is never, I get confused.

Not a bad take. Lose one of your top 3, you ain’t winning a title.

I hope you aren’t counting Reddish as one of the top 3.

And what national title team would have won if they lost one of their top three? I can’t think of a Duke title team that would have. 91 or 92 losing Laettner or Hurley or Hill... 01 losing Battier or Williams or Boozer... 10 losing Singler or Scheyer or Smith... 15 losing Okafor or Jones or Winslow... I don’t think any win without those three guys.

Reactions: Duke Blu
I hope you aren’t counting Reddish as one of the top 3.

And what national title team would have won if they lost one of their top three? I can’t think of a Duke title team that would have. 91 or 92 losing Laettner or Hurley or Hill... 01 losing Battier or Williams or Boozer... 10 losing Singler or Scheyer or Smith... 15 losing Okafor or Jones or Winslow... I don’t think any win without those three guys.

Duke has the 2 best players in college basketball. They can’t lose either of them. You can’t sit here and tell me otherwise. Yes, we can say that about any team. But when you have the 2 best dudes, and another top 5 pick, you can’t lose one of them. People can give me bench metrics, and whatever else. Idgaf.

No the link you requested was related to the carters actually liking Duke and attending CTC this year. You have that.
Not even someone like Kylia Carter would be so obtuse as to come out and say “this is about self promotion.” You’d have to be even more obtuse to expect her to.

No lol, I knew that already. We've discussed it here numerous times. That's why I bolded a SPECIFIC line you mentioned.

Is there part of this that's about her son's draft stock? Sure. But that's not all of it. And it's not the important part. Again, we know two things: 1. Coach K wasn't upfront with her and she and her son were upset about the situation amd 2. They weren't happy with Wendell's time and usage.

I mean, if I'm Stewart, why he's even THINKING about going to Duke is beyond me.

As mentioned, shooting and front court depth are real weaknesses that will cost them. If Tennessee doesn’t pull their usual tournament choke job, I think they’re the worst type of matchup for Duke with their strong frontcourt along with deep bench.

We have a strong frontcourt and deep bench, too.

The difference is that Tennessee has the athleticism to match Duke. Not many teams do. Duke is more talented, but that can be negated by Tennessee's experience and the way they can get red hot from 3.

I agree, I think think that is one of the more intriguing potential matchups to watch in the tournament.

Aside from KU, the top few teams (Duke, Michigan, UT) are literally blasting teams they're supposed to be blasting, thus taking care of any over confidence future opponents might hope to have.

Kentucky and other 10-25 ranked teams, however, have had struggles beating teams handily that they should be beating handily, and I think this is why each team next on their schedules come in so confident - we are allowing it by not playing with 100% effort and to our potential and blasting the teams ahead of other teams.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
One of the main things that Duke does better than the Cats, is they don't let their foot off the gas. So when they go up by 10, they continue to play fast to get up by 20. The cats seem to get up by 10, change their MO into slowdown ball and let the game get close again, which drives me crazy.

Duke has the 2 best players in college basketball. They can’t lose either of them. You can’t sit here and tell me otherwise. Yes, we can say that about any team. But when you have the 2 best dudes, and another top 5 pick, you can’t lose one of them. People can give me bench metrics, and whatever else. Idgaf.

Uh, I don't understand what you mean.

Someone said "If Duke loses one of their top three guys, they won't win a title." I'm just saying well, yes, that's obvious; there isn't a team that's won a title in basketball that would have won if it lost one of its top three guys. So saying "Duke won't win if they lose one of their top three guys" is sort of... well, obvious... and it applies to every team in the country.

I mean, if I'm Stewart, why he's even THINKING about going to Duke is beyond me.

See, this seems hyperbolic, again.

Maybe he would be THINKING about going to Duke because, after visiting Duke and connecting with the Duke coaching staff and exploring Duke, he has found that Duke has amazing facilities, maybe the best coach in history, a capable coaching staff, experience with preparing guys for the league, amazing exposure, will contend for a title, and great players. And they might even have a big guy that he would feel comfortable playing alongside. Duke literally just had a successful team with two really good big guys who played together.

I get you, as fan, "hate Duke." But to actually say that you have no idea how a recruit could even be THINKING about going to Duke is juvenile.

And I don't understand how anyone at this point could consider Reddish a top 3 or top 5 pick. His struggles haven't been given the attention they deserve... a lot of people are still coasting by on the pre-season storyline of "Top 3 players in high school on one team!" and haven't caught up to the fact that Reddish is really playing poorly... its sort of like how people stuck with the "Zion is 285!" story even a month after Duke said that he was down to 270.

Reactions: Duke Blu
I have said it in the past and will say it again. This Duke team is very good and scary. Their defense is among the best in the nation. Teams may keep it close for 20 minutes but it is just a matter of time before they rip off a 12 to 2 run and put their opponents in this shell shock mentality.

Even in the gonzaga game, the Zags out played Duke for 28minutes. The last 12 were dominated by Zion and RJ so much so that it ereased a 15 point deficit and gave Duke a chance to win late.

It will take a team with hot shooting and the mental toughness to not get rattled when Duke goes on these runs to beat them. I really like Virgina and Virgina tech against this Duke team. Tech is one of the best shooting teams in the country and we all know Virgina going to pack the paint and slow the game down.

Everyone else on their schedule, including UNCHEAT, bet the line for Duke to cover the rest of the way.

Uh, I don't understand what you mean.

Someone said "If Duke loses one of their top three guys, they won't win a title." I'm just saying well, yes, that's obvious; there isn't a team that's won a title in basketball that would have won if it lost one of its top three guys. So saying "Duke won't win if they lose one of their top three guys" is sort of... well, obvious... and it applies to every team in the country.

See, this seems hyperbolic, again.

Maybe he would be THINKING about going to Duke because, after visiting Duke and connecting with the Duke coaching staff and exploring Duke, he has found that Duke has amazing facilities, maybe the best coach in history, a capable coaching staff, experience with preparing guys for the league, amazing exposure, will contend for a title, and great players. And they might even have a big guy that he would feel comfortable playing alongside. Duke literally just had a successful team with two really good big guys who played together.

I get you, as fan, "hate Duke." But to actually say that you have no idea how a recruit could even be THINKING about going to Duke is juvenile.

And I don't understand how anyone at this point could consider Reddish a top 3 or top 5 pick. His struggles haven't been given the attention they deserve... a lot of people are still coasting by on the pre-season storyline of "Top 3 players in high school on one team!" and haven't caught up to the fact that Reddish is really playing poorly... its sort of like how people stuck with the "Zion is 285!" story even a month after Duke said that he was down to 270.

I don't mean Duke specifically.. I mean Duke's situation. Take the name out of it. I don't know why a top Center would go to a school that already has it's top Center (with Bolden in the mix), when that school JUST had an incident with playing time/minutes between it's two bigs.

I'm not making this specifically about Duke. If the above was Kentucky, I'd be almost as perplexed. Kentucky DOES play deeper lineups, but I'd still be a little shocked.

Reactions: TheDude1
I don't mean Duke specifically.. I mean Duke's situation. Take the name out of it. I don't know why a top Center would go to a school that already has it's top Center (with Bolden in the mix), when that school JUST had an incident with playing time/minutes between it's two bigs.

I'm not making this specifically about Duke. If the above was Kentucky, I'd be almost as perplexed. Kentucky DOES play deeper lineups, but I'd still be a little shocked.

I’ve brought this up before but do you think Julius Randle coming out of high school at 6’9” and 250 had a vastly different skill set than Stewart or Carey? Randle has turned into a tremendous player but at that point in his career what differentiated him as a PF compared to Stewart and Carey?

No need to make it complicated. Just maybe, a kid REALLY wants to go to a certain school over all the other schools. Even if it means less touches. You only get to do this once. I could understand if going to that school meant you may not play much initially but even in those situations, a kid may still chose to go to that school.

Stewart may really really love Duke. He may really really love K. He may be confident to know that he is going to go to the NBA regardless and that scouts are smart enough to know that due to him playing alongside another center, that he wasn’t able to showcase his skill set as much as possible, but because he’s clearly talented, it doesn’t matter.

Having the chance to play for K is a very big deal.

I’ve brought this up before but do you think Julius Randle coming out of high school at 6’9” and 250 had a vastly different skill set than Stewart or Carey? Randle has turned into a tremendous player but at that point in his career what differentiated him as a PF compared to Stewart and Carey?

Randle was 225 coming out of HS.

Edit: But anoter place has 240lb and another 250lb.. any Kentucky fans confirm this?

Edit2: Randle is 250lb NOW. I don't think he gained zero weight from age 18 to 23. I have a feeling some recruiting sites might be automatically pulling basic stats like that after the fact.

EIther way.. a few distinctions: Kentucky didn't have a TRULY elite center coming in (Dakari wasn't that guy, at least not to Carey's level). And had Dakari not struggled, I'm not sure Randle would have gotten that much burn. Meanwhile WCS was still a little raw, so he didn't get full PT at the 4 either.

Kentucky sort of lucked out with all those front court guys..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT