ADVERTISEMENT

Corey Evans says Isaiah Stewart is a three-horse race between UDub, Dook and UK

That's the problem though, one WAS disgruntled. The family wasn't happy. Duke fans will spin it shortly, but there's no hiding it. Carter wasn't happy with his situation at Duke. And his talent was wasted, in part. Two centers pose a "diminishing returns" problem.

Also, Bagley was much more of a slashing/transition PF. Him and a traditional center can coexist a bit better than two big bodies.

I’m just saying that it isn’t hard for Duke to spin to a recruit that it can work. Basically, it did work last year. Both guys played, and they were both top 7 picks. Team just missed the Final Four.

If anything, Bagley was drafted higher than he should have been after Duke hid him in that zone.

I get what everyone is saying. I just think the idea that 2 bigs absolutely can’t work in the modern game is a bit exaggerated.

Every big is trying to figure out how to stretch the floor and coexist with other bigs. I’m sure that’s what these guys have in mind too, and what K is pitching. Same thing Cal was pitching to Reid Travis last summer.

Reactions: Mr_GG and JFCats22
That's the problem though, one WAS disgruntled. The family wasn't happy. Duke fans will spin it shortly, but there's no hiding it. Carter wasn't happy with his situation at Duke. And his talent was wasted, in part.

Both of these points are wrong.
Yes, Carter’s mom, in an attempt to elevate her sons draft stock made comments that her son had to sacrifice part of his game for the team and that he had more to offer. They also attended countdown to craziness this year, sat with the Carey’s, hyped duke up the whole time. Must have worked because Carey committed.
To your second point, yes it can limit a player but it can also allow that player to play just to their strengths which can hide their weaknesses. You think Carter would’ve looked good guarding wings in space? Nah, he was allowed to hang in the paint and time up blocks BECAUSE he had a bagley willing and able to play away. It cuts both ways.

Both of these points are wrong.
Yes, Carter’s mom, in an attempt to elevate her sons draft stock made comments that her son had to sacrifice part of his game for the team and that he had more to offer. They also attended countdown to craziness this year, sat with the Carey’s, hyped duke up the whole time. Must have worked because Carey committed.
To your second point, yes it can limit a player but it can also allow that player to play just to their strengths which can hide their weaknesses. You think Carter would’ve looked good guarding wings in space? Nah, he was allowed to hang in the paint and time up blocks BECAUSE he had a bagley willing and able to play away. It cuts both ways.

Link, please

Carter and Bagley aren't the same positions. You just spelled out your own dilemma.. Bagley can defend wing positions, He's 6'11 but only 230lbs. Carey is same height but 280. Stewart, closer to Bagley's weight is also 2 inches shorter.

Neither of them are guarding wings.

Link, please

Carter and Bagley aren't the same positions. You just spelled out your own dilemma.. Bagley can defend wing positions, He's 6'11 but only 230lbs. Carey is same height but 280. Stewart, closer to Bagley's weight is also 2 inches shorter.

Neither of them are guarding wings.

Asking for a link is beyond lazy. I’ll do it for you this time because it takes 4 secs but heres the link for future reference:
Google.com

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article214064734.html

Thank for the heights and weights but if you watch the kids play it’s obvious that duke is selling Carey on the bagley role and Stewart on the Carter role.

Let's put it another way, just from a sizing perspective, if we placed all four guys on a spectrum from PF to C, it would look like this (HS weight):

1. Bagley - 6'11, 240lb
2. Carter - 6'10, 250lb
3. Stewart - 6'9, 245lb
4. Carey - 6"10, 275lb

I'd argue that not only is Bagley a PF.. but that even Carter is more of a PF/C combo than either Stewart and Carey is (Him and Stewart are quite close, admittedly).

And to @Aike 's point. Sure this can work. Stewart can play out a bit with those numbers, But it's not the same as a Bagley/Carter tandem. Stewart and Carey are much more limited in what they can do as a PF.

Asking for a link is beyond lazy. I’ll do it for you this time because it takes 4 secs but heres the link for future reference:
Google.com

Thank for the heights and weights but if you watch the kids play it’s obvious that duke is selling Carey on the bagley role and Stewart on the Carter role.

No, that's now how this works lol. You want to sell some funky info, you link it. Now I can't watch the video ATM, but nowhere do your links (one is Reddit and it's broken anyways lmfao) state that she's mad over her son's draft stock, which i Bolded for a reason.

I get that she reneged on her comments. Damage control. What's said is said. She was mad because Coach K was being shady and not upfront. Nothing I've seen mentions draft stock.

LOL @ Carey doing what Bagley does when he's nearly 50lbs heavier. I figured you were a Duke fan, but Duke fans can't be this dumb about their team right?

Stewart shoots better and is smaller, he'd play the PF/C. Carey is stuck at center at that size. You're welcome.

Reactions: BassProCat
I thought Michigan State was one of the favorites.

Is it possible Corey meant Duke, Michigan St, or Washington instead of UK?

If Michigan state is out that leads me to believe it's a Duke and UK's is kept in the mix for a spit in the face purpose

Reactions: Dward13
Let's put it another way, just from a sizing perspective, if we placed all four guys on a spectrum from PF to C, it would look like this (HS weight):

1. Bagley - 6'11, 240lb
2. Carter - 6'10, 250lb
3. Stewart - 6'9, 245lb
4. Carey - 6"10, 275lb

I'd argue that not only is Bagley a PF.. but that even Carter is more of a PF/C combo than either Stewart and Carey is (Him and Stewart are quite close, admittedly).

And to @Aike 's point. Sure this can work. Stewart can play out a bit with those numbers, But it's not the same as a Bagley/Carter tandem. Stewart and Carey are much more limited in what they can do as a PF.

Yeah, I’m just being a contrarian, really. Mostly because I don’t want to talk myself into the idea that Stewart won’t go there because it won’t work.

I don’t know where he’s going to go, but I have no doubt that Duke can spin enough positives to get him there, if that’s where he wants to be.

Seems pretty clear it’s Duke. There was talk about Carey and Stewart wanting to play together and Duke was always the most likely option.

I thought it was just the opposite that Stewart did not want to play with Carey & would have to be sold on it. Carey was fine it.

Is it possible Corey meant Duke, Michigan St, or Washington instead of UK?

If Michigan state is out that leads me to believe it's a Duke and UK's is kept in the mix for a spit in the face purpose

Some noise recently about him and McDaniels going to Washington together.

Damn I feel good now as I thought he was going to MSU as he ain't going to Duke . I think missing on Wiseman helped us here as Stewart is not going to play with another big time big like Wiseman or Carey . Playing with Mcdaniels is different as Mcdaniels is more of a 3 then a 5 .

I thought it was just the opposite that Stewart did not want to play with Carey & would have to be sold on it. Carey was fine it.
Yes that is what the rumors are . It is Stewart who doesn't prefer to be around other elite bigs IMO ( or it might be his people who don't want him to be ) Carey I think would prefer to play with other great players like most kids as he knows it is a better chance of winning .

Everybody acts like Duke using two bigs last year didn’t work, but they went zone, played pretty good defense, and were an overtime away from the Final Four.

Now, one of the bigs seems to have been disgruntled, and they cut the legs out from under their fast paced point guard, but I doubt K cares much about any of that.

Where have you been the Carters were pissed and believed that Coach K lied to them. Carter committed & was told he was the featured big. The mom said that Bagley was never mentioned during the recruitment of Carter. So when he committed it was a shock to the system for the Carters but the coaching staff tried to reassure them. They were not pleased with how Carter was used throughout the season.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Yeah, I’m just being a contrarian, really. Mostly because I don’t want to talk myself into the idea that Stewart won’t go there because it won’t work.

I don’t know where he’s going to go, but I have no doubt that Duke can spin enough positives to get him there, if that’s where he wants to be.

For reals. Any other school and there's a 0.0% chance he goes to play with Carey.. but with what Duke has done the last few years, they'd somehow put the top 5 centers on their team with no problem.

I will admit to being wrong on Zion and RJ and Cam, never thought those 3 could work. Still, I think center positions are different. and I don't think Carey/Stewart is NEARLY as versatile as Bagley/Carter. Not to mention, not as good of a recruiting class to go along with them, no Allen for leadership.

Not worried if they land Stewart. Now, if they can get a PG to reclass, different story.

Reactions: Aike
For reals. Any other school and there's a 0.0% chance he goes to play with Carey.. but with what Duke has done the last few years, they'd somehow put the top 5 centers on their team with no problem.

I will admit to being wrong on Zion and RJ and Cam, never thought those 3 could work. Still, I think center positions are different. and I don't think Carey/Stewart is NEARLY as versatile as Bagley/Carter. Not to mention, not as good of a recruiting class to go along with them, no Allen for leadership.

Not worried if they land Stewart. Now, if they can get a PG to reclass, different story.

I agree, but give me Jack White for leadership over Allen any day.

Reactions: TheDude1
Some noise recently about him and McDaniels going to Washington together.

Can't see a guy from Rochester NY go Westcoast. Lesser conference, competition and exposure. Not to mention a 6-hour flight.. indiana prep school or not.

How many top10 players gone West Coast from East Coast? Can't be many.

Where have you been the Carters were pissed and believed that Coach K lied to them. Carter committed & was told he was the featured big. The mom said that Bagley was never mentioned during the recruitment of Carter. So when he committed it was a shock to the system for the Carters but the coaching staff tried to reassure them. They were not pleased with how Carter was used throughout the season.

And none of this will matter. Just like it doesnt matter that coach K yelled at Semi Ojeyele’s mother in an attempt to intimidate her, or lied to Derrick Thornton and his uncle, or that jahlil Okafor has been a complete bust in the league.

Skal certainly seems to have hurt us as he’s the last top 5 player and top ranked center we’ve landed despite every other such recruit ending up wildly successful. But for some reason Duke can do no wrong.

And it’s not solely media worship. Because this stuff has all actually made it to print. I wonder what it could be...

Can't see a guy from Rochester NY go Westcoast. Lesser conference, competition and exposure. Not to mention a 6-hour flight.. indiana prep school or not.

How many top10 players gone West Coast from East Coast? Can't be many.

Not many. Fultz did, Josh Green will.

It may just be noise but he does have Washington on his final list with no real reason to have them if he’s not seriously considering them.

And none of this will matter. Just like it doesnt matter that coach K yelled at Semi Ojeyele’s mother in an attempt to intimidate her, or lied to Derrick Thornton and his uncle, or that jahlil Okafor has been a complete bust in the league.

Skal certainly seems to have hurt us as he’s the last top 5 player and top ranked center we’ve landed despite every other such recruit ending up wildly successful. But for some reason Duke can do no wrong.

And it’s not solely media worship. Because this stuff has all actually made it to print. I wonder what it could be...

Nike, Team USA

Not many. Fultz did, Josh Green will.

It may just be noise but he does have Washington on his final list with no real reason to have them if he’s not seriously considering them.

He’s close with the head coach at Washington. Who was an assistant at Syracuse.

Google.com

Then they must have paid Mama Carter some hush money. She was not pretending to try to help his draft stock..lol. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life. It was real and I'm assuming she shut up because someone brought up "set for life".

If he (Stewart) wants to be the next Jahil Okafor, Mason Plumlee or Marshall Plumlee he needs to go to Duke. If he wants to be the next DeMarcus Cousins, Anthony Davis or Karl-Anthony Towns, he will come here. I can't imagine a nothing basketball program like Washington. With a no name coach being over 2,000 miles from Stewart's hometown being a serious contender for Stewart. Common sense says Stewart will be a UK Wildcat. But as we all know when it comes to 17 & 18 year old kids. Common sense doesn't always enter into it.

I would love to have Stewart, he's one of my favorite players in the class, but I don't think a "true" post player is an absolute necessity if we can land another versatile wing like Edwards or Keion Brooks or a face up four like Matt Hurt or Jaden McDaniels. If either two of those 4 happen, one of those 4 + Stewart happens, or one of those 4 and Dontaie Allen is able to play right away, we are in a great spot next season. Anything else is gravy....provided of course we don't have a mass exodus, and you never know.

Richards and Montgomery can split time at the 5 next season, both will be improved (big men, in most cases, take significantly longer to develop than guards and wings), and we can play a 4-out scheme like Calipari teams of old. Looks like that is what Cal is looking to do, but who knows.

Listen, I'm generally going to stay out of this...

But your last lines there... could it be that they meet K, a guy who is making the case to be the greatest basketball coach in history, and they actually think "Man, this guy is awesome, I want him to be my coach..."? I feel like we look for other reasons (they got promises, they got paid, etc etc) but often seem to skip what is likely the most important reason: they have a connection to the coach that they don't have with other coaches.

Listen, I'm generally going to stay out of this...

But your last lines there... could it be that they meet K, a guy who is making the case to be the greatest basketball coach in history, and they actually think "Man, this guy is awesome, I want him to be my coach..."? I feel like we look for other reasons (they got promises, they got paid, etc etc) but often seem to skip what is likely the most important reason: they have a connection to the coach that they don't have with other coaches.
You should do what you generally do...

Reactions: RipThru
Some believe he has already made his decision and has informed the team already. Its more of a matter of when and how he wants to announce it. Look for a possible video announcement in the coming weeks imo.

What do you mean by where have I been? I said one of their bigs apparently was disgruntled. He still got drafted 7th. And his mom is a nutcase. She’s like the female LaVar Ball.

Reactions: Cindog28

Incentives money jewelry houses. Jobs for parents money for aau teams. Duke is dirty we know it dukes fans know it but until the ncaa punishes real acts and stops punishing HS girls the top guys will go where they get paid.

I don't see that any duke u message boarder's linking or replying to your link. I didn't read it either but I do remember reading it. I wonder why....

I linked some links the other day in this topic. Of course she was pissed I imagine parents of college athletes get pissed a lot. Doesn’t mean they hate Duke or coach K now.

I’m sure Quades parents weren’t thrilled about Cal convincing him to come back with what happened this year.

Both Wendell and his mom still post about and have shown love for Duke since this.

Some believe he has already made his decision and has informed the team already. Its more of a matter of when and how he wants to announce it. Look for a possible video announcement in the coming weeks imo.
Which team has been informed?

I linked some links the other day in this topic. Of course she was pissed I imagine parents of college athletes get pissed a lot. Doesn’t mean they hate Duke or coach K now.

I’m sure Quades parents weren’t thrilled about Cal convincing him to come back with what happened this year.

Both Wendell and his mom still post about and have shown love for Duke since this.

I'm not sure her words matter in recruitment. If other disgruntled players in the past didn't sway recruiting, this probably won't either. But it does tell us a few things: 1. Coach K isn't exactly upfront in his pitch and 2. the family wasn't happy with playing time/touches for Stewart.

Might not matter, Stewart could very well end up at Duke. But it sounds like Coach K isn't going to starting running a two-big system, nor is he going run them in a platoon setup, where each is getting 30mpg. His offense pays little attention to bigs and relies on a short bench. One of Stewart/Carey won't be fully utilized... and neither can *truly* step out into a PF role on both sides of the ball.

We’re gonna be a lot of fun to watch with maxey herro Whitney McDaniels and EJ...anything beyond that returning or we get for this class is gravy although personally I don’t see how anyone but keldon could leave

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT