ADVERTISEMENT

Duke’s Jalen Johnson Quits Team

The media will spin this as something glorious that K did to ensure the health and well being of this young Dukie Superstar.

For sure.

"Coach K making the right decision because it's what's in the best interest for Johnson and his family. He's got 1st round money guaranteed in 5 months, so he had to protect his draft stock. Coach K is and always has been a players first type of coach."

I’m glad that we haven’t had any guys opt out yet (Terrence Clarke conspiracies notwithstanding). I wonder if this is a sign of things to come for the rest of their season as he was unquestionably their most talented player and a likely lottery pick, plus K’s back is due for a flare up any time now.

OAD baby. This what OAD gets you.

Do what? Why do we rationalize a guy quitting for these reasons? I mean I can't stand Duke but these kids acting like college basketball is a glorified scrimmage/AAU circuit is ridiculous.

I truly hope these issue wake up college officials to change our game's landscape and work to get to a baseball model to let kids go pro w/o college or if you do come, you have to play for college and enough of this nonsense.

There isn't much that can be done. Want to blame someone, blame the Player's Union first.. for wanting to protect veterans in the league, stopping the influx of HS players taking up salary.. and next the NBA owners.. who like the 1AD system as is, as they get just enough glimpse at a player's potential.

I don't think even the smartest posters here (not me, for sure) have an answer to this. Teams are just going to have to find those 3 or 4 year players who aren't good enough for the NBA.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Do what? Why do we rationalize a guy quitting for these reasons? I mean I can't stand Duke but these kids acting like college basketball is a glorified scrimmage/AAU circuit is ridiculous.

I truly hope these issue wake up college officials to change our game's landscape and work to get to a baseball model to let kids go pro w/o college or if you do come, you have to play for college and enough of this nonsense.
I mean he could've just pretended to have a fake injury and idt anyone would've cared. Kids a locked and loaded top 10 pick. Better than some who may or may not be having a mysterious injury and projected as the mid to late 2nd rd.

FWIW I wouldn't care if UK opted out for the rest of the season. Its called cutting your losses Jalen Johnson has weighed his risk reward for playing for duke and I feel he made the correct choice.

Is he quitting on his team? Yes
Is he making the best possible decision for himself? Also Yes.
Both can be true.

RJ Barrett. Another insane talent that coach k was unable to teach team principles to and will be a failure in the nba.

But please, top 5 parents, take that little bit of cash, that temporary house, or that assurance from Nike. You’ll be fine while you’re at Duke. When you leave however, you’re f’d

Jalen Johnson, you’re up.
But Harry Giles owed it to Duke to play on two bad knees in college.

Coach k is a liar and a phony. I can’t believe parents would still send their kids to play there. It’s unbelievvable. Thanks Nike.

Jalen Johnson, good luck. If you don’t perform to expectations, and God forbid have an injury, you’re f’d.

Duke, Risk everything, even if it means your career.
Coach K, a program coach, a coach who’s always been hostile to the OAD’s, lands another last Thursday in the name of Jalen Johnson. We caught up with Jalen Johnson to ask him what sold him on the Satans.

“I loved Duke since I first heard of Corey Maggetti hiding under his bed when he wanted to leave early in fear of telling coach K. I also read Elton Brand’s comments about how leaving early was seen as blasphemous by Duke and coach K. Those are great stories.

Then last year he had the top prospects in the class. All 3. When they almost made a final four I was blown away. Then watching ESPN and Duke sort of blame it on Reddish, that was what I’m looking for. The way they tried to get him to turn down a top 7 pick really sold me, ya know, it just shows in these last 25 years nothing has really changed. It’s a huge plus for OAD’s like me.”

I mean he could've just pretended to have a fake injury and idt anyone would've cared. Kids a locked and loaded top 10 pick. Better than some who may or may not be having a mysterious injury and projected as the mid to late 2nd rd.

FWIW I wouldn't care if UK opted out for the rest of the season. Its called cutting your losses Jalen Johnson has weighed his risk reward for playing for duke and I feel he made the correct choice.

Is he quitting on his team? Yes
Is he making the best possible decision for himself? Also Yes.
Both can be true.
I’m going to say no to the second question. How is it the best decision for him? It makes him a quitter and really fuels questions about his character.

Reactions: blubo and Cawood86
True. But superstar NBA players often quit on their teams (James Harden the most recent example), and we're now seeing it in the NFL with Deshaun Watson. Guess what I'm saying is I'm not a fan of quitting, but if these young college guys see these star pro athletes do it, they think they can do it as well.

Brett Favre is that you?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT