ADVERTISEMENT

Duke’s Jalen Johnson Quits Team

They suck and the kid has decided that the reward for playing isn't worth the risk. So what!!! How has his decision hurt you? You might think that these kids only purpose in life is to entertain you, but I guess these kids are teaching you and others who think like you the basic economics of protecting the golden goose. You are just upset because you don't possess their leverage. For you, it is a game; for them, it is their financial lives.
It hurts college basketball by normalizing quitting

Reactions: KFuqua
I don't really get the protecting his draft stock angle for the reason he quit. If he kept playing, even in limited minutes he was still on track to be a lottery pick, most mock drafts had him in the top 10 a few days ago. After this, I highly doubt he goes lottery as he will have to explain why he and his camp couldn't get along with IMG and Duke, 2 of the top programs in each sport.

But Duke isn't out of position to win a title. They aren't going to be seeded very high but they are not like UK which has to win conference tourney. But with all teams that get to play conference tournaments....there is no excuse for anyone to be quitting. Dude is an entitled kid....and his stats this year indicate he's not all that amazing basketball player. So we'll see how life treats him but looks entirely a "me" orientated person and not sure how fans would like him on their favorite teams.

Let's face facts. All these players who have a good shot at making the NBA, are a "ME" orientated basketball player. This is just a fact of life, even though we don't want to admit it. When you go for a job, if there are only so many going to be hired, you become a "Me" orientated person.
My friend, Kenny Davis, who played for Georgetown, and then in the Olympics, told me, "Regardless of what people think, only so many are going to get on the team, so you better take care of yourself." I know that sounds selfish, but that's life. No, you probably thinks that's wrong, and I'm a lot of things you don't like, but I'm just being honest. Life isn't always fair, but you play the hand your dealt. I always laugh when people say, "It's just a friendly card game." It is friendly, but I'm in there to win, not lose, just as the other players are.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Then don't go to college. Wait for predraft workouts, go Gleague or over seas professional teams. If you go to college, finish the season.

Ok. Lol!

We know the players union is the one set the rules (OAD), but fk the OAD coaches. If they want to take chances on these kids, then they get what they pay for.... Treat em like GLeague players and they should act like GL players.

Yes, they should lose their scholarship. If I were a OAD coach/program I would make them sign a contract that they finish their classes and the season, or pay back their scholarship costs. No one's kidding themselves anymore that this isnt a business.

Coaches sold out to the money. Why shouldn't the players? They stopped recruiting student athletes and went after lottery picks. Not gonna feel sorry for them, and the programs that let it go that way without putting their feet down have a share in the humble pie

Reactions: westerncat
I don't really get the protecting his draft stock angle for the reason he quit. If he kept playing, even in limited minutes he was still on track to be a lottery pick, most mock drafts had him in the top 10 a few days ago. After this, I highly doubt he goes lottery as he will have to explain why he and his camp couldn't get along with IMG and Duke, 2 of the top programs in each sport.

Lol. No. IT'S A BUSINESS! This level doesn't mean that much for the best prospects.

If the kid is good enough, he'll go where he should go. Just like Anthony Davis. No question he'd still have gone number 1 even if he sat out the tourney.

Parents (for whatever reason) used to talk about NOT quitting. If you start something, then you see it through (sports, in school,,... whatever...).

Not sure where that came from.... but i heard it a lot.... And I for sure know that it isn't spoken that much anymore...
I remember quitting wrestling because I hurt a guy pretty bad in practice. I felt guilty as hell

Reactions: Girthang
Lol. No. IT'S A BUSINESS! This level doesn't mean that much for the best prospects.

If the kid is good enough, he'll go where he should go. Just like Anthony Davis. No question he'd still have gone number 1 even if he sat out the tourney.
Well usually NBA executives and scouts aren't too fond of prospects who quit/got kicked off of 2 teams before.

I remember quitting wrestling because I hurt a guy pretty bad in practice. I felt guilty as hell

I hear ya. Loved the sport but I quit wrestling because the older guys on the team were assholes and not worth fighting for or with at the time. Spent 3 days in real fights with punks that were scared to fight me one on one, and when I beat up two at once the coach punished ME.

You can't judge situations unless you've been there and in the shoes of the person. The fact is that some people on teams are either ringers, just placeholders, meat, or necessary to field a whole team. If people don't grasp the concept, that's their problem.

There are lots of reasons why he would want to sit. Not a whole lot of reasons to keep playing. If the kid wants to sit, nothing I say is gonna change it anyway.

What's really going to chap some asses is when we have a Cal led team that has a real title shot and some great player sits. It's just a matter of time.

Well usually NBA executives and scouts aren't too fond of prospects who quit/got kicked off of 2 teams before.

No doubt they don't like it. Never said they were jonesing for players that got kicked off teams.

Has nothing to do with his cost/benefit on the dollar scale in the NBA. They'll take whomever has got the stuff ON THE COURT.

As far as I'm concerned, Lebron quit 2 teams to go where the roster was stacked. I'd bet you didn't think teams would refuse to sign him if he wanted to play for them...

Terrence Clarke conspiracies? he obviously has quit on his team...nobody has ever missed 12 games and counting with a sprained ankle
Well the frustrating part is that we were never told if it was a sprained ankle. We don’t know what it is. I’ll agree with you that it’s odd, but he still has a great attitude on the bench and is always cheering on the guys. Doesn’t seem like something a quitter would do. I think he was either misdiagnosed or aggravated something when he stayed back to work out with Justus.

Reactions: Girthang
Frankly, all the pandering to these Whiney little jack weeds makes me sick!

Pandering to coaches AND players, fk.. even announcers... sick of all of it.

Seen it coming with Pitino and all of his lying BS, but at least he didn't refuse to give scholarships to bonafide student-athletes, or whine, when he was here.

And when regular people quit....
1. The job you were at usually stops paying you immediately.
2. Your resume usually shows if you can't hold a job but for a short span....usually follows you and people are hesitant to trust you in next job
3. Don't usually get a former employer paying lip service like we support his/her decision, etc...nonsense.

So if we regular people aren't shielded from consequences of quitting....why should we shield dudes like Terrance Clarke, Jalen Johnson, etc..? We are shooting for equality are we not?
You throw Clarkes name in there. Is there some official word you have received that says he is opting out instead of injured. Has he been seen practicing and preparing for the draft in the practice facility. I am going with what the medical staff gave us until there is proof. Seriously, what do you have as facts?

No doubt they don't like it. Never said they were jonesing for players that got kicked off teams.

Has nothing to do with his cost/benefit on the dollar scale in the NBA. They'll take whomever has got the stuff ON THE COURT.

As far as I'm concerned, Lebron quit 2 teams to go where the roster was stacked. I'd bet you didn't think teams would refuse to sign him if he wanted to play for them...
You have more leeway when you are considered a top 3 player to ever play the game. Johnson quit at IMG and Duke mid-season, that is surely going to knock him down a few draft spots and he would have been better off just riding it out.

I hear ya. Loved the sport but I quit wrestling because the older guys on the team were assholes and not worth fighting for or with at the time. Spent 3 days in real fights with punks that were scared to fight me one on one, and when I beat up two at once the coach punished ME.

You can't judge situations unless you've been there and in the shoes of the person. The fact is that some people on teams are either ringers, just placeholders, meat, or necessary to field a whole team. If people don't grasp the concept, that's their problem.

There are lots of reasons why he would want to sit. Not a whole lot of reasons to keep playing. If the kid wants to sit, nothing I say is gonna change it anyway.

What's really going to chap some asses is when we have a Cal led team that has a real title shot and some great player sits. It's just a matter of time.
Spent 3 whole days in real fights??!? Was this like Fight Club LOL 😂

Ok. Lol!

We know the players union is the one set the rules (OAD), but fk the OAD coaches. If they want to take chances on these kids, then they get what they pay for.... Treat em like GLeague players and they should act like GL players.

Yes, they should lose their scholarship. If I were a OAD coach/program I would make them sign a contract that they finish their classes and the season, or pay back their scholarship costs. No one's kidding themselves anymore that this isnt a business.

Coaches sold out to the money. Why shouldn't the players? They stopped recruiting student athletes and went after lottery picks. Not gonna feel sorry for them, and the programs that let it go that way without putting their feet down have a share in the humble pie
Because, for the time being anyway, NCAA doesn’t pay and one should honor their commitments to their team. There are players on Duke who will never play pro ball and they quit on those guys. If you’re not interested in completing the season then just don’t come.

They are using the university for exposure at that point, and while the NCAA is profiting off of them, they are choosing to enter into that environment voluntarily.

If you want to protest college players not getting paid then do so and stick to your guns by not attending and utilizing other means to advance your career.

Feel bad for him. He wanted to go to kentucky but his family/handlers wanted duke....how many times must this sad state of affairs go on? Handlers and parents need to gfto and let their kids make their own decision.

Huh?
Miami before lebron-47-35 first round loss to the celtics 1-4.
Cleveland before Lebron’s second stint-33-49 and missed the playoffs
Lakers before lebron-35-47

I'm surprised it hasn't happened more with normally good teams that have crapped the bed this year.

Yeah That’s what all players should do if their season isn’t going like they planned. It has become the new norm. Things don’t go like you want them just quit. And them go onto the next team and quit when it’s not going your way. We all want to look across college basketball and see what’s wrong with it. Crap like this.

Not saying you’re condoning it. It seems to be the norm now. Frustrating from someone who was taught to work for everything you get and don’t run when things get a little tough

Feel bad for him. He wanted to go to kentucky but his family/handlers wanted duke....how many times must this sad state of affairs go on? Handlers and parents need to gfto and let their kids make their own decision.
When did he want to go to UK? I know it was his "dream school" but we all know how much weight that holds in recruiting.

You throw Clarkes name in there. Is there some official word you have received that says he is opting out instead of injured. Has he been seen practicing and preparing for the draft in the practice facility. I am going with what the medical staff gave us until there is proof. Seriously, what do you have as facts?
As said earlier....missing from mid December to March for a sprained ankle....you can call it what you want.. Opting out in my book

As said earlier....missing from mid December to March for a sprained ankle....you can call it what you want.. Opting out in my book
I could say that too if I could see an advantage. His position in the draft is now late second round or undrafted. He needs the playing time to raise his stock. I thought he was our best player and now, he cant or wont play. Not being disagreeable, I just cant make sense of it unless it is injury related.

You have more leeway when you are considered a top 3 player to ever play the game. Johnson quit at IMG and Duke mid-season, that is surely going to knock him down a few draft spots and he would have been better off just riding it out.

Doubt it

Huh?
Miami before lebron-47-35 first round loss to the celtics 1-4.
Cleveland before Lebron’s second stint-33-49 and missed the playoffs
Lakers before lebron-35-47

It was a package deal 2x when he left teams. I didn't say those teams played well before he got there. I said he went for stacked rosters. Teams made deals to do so in order to land him.

Spent 3 whole days in real fights??!? Was this like Fight Club LOL 😂

Lol.. It was "weed" club. I didn't smoke and the jrs and srs on the team did. They didn't like that I and others wouldn't, so they tried everything as a group of 5 to get me to quit. After the 2nd day of it, 2 kids didn't want to take any more chances. 3rd day- 3 of em made some mistakes and 2 got the sht beat out of em for it. The other ran.

• Wow
Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
stacked rosters? LOL

Having trouble with longevity tonight? Try to read to the end of a post

Who went to Miami with Lebron?

Who was there and who were they working on acquiring when he went elsewhere?

Let your fingers do the walkin

Just asked the guy I talk to he said a guy who spoke to Jalen’s dad told him Jalen wanted UK.
Interesting, could be true but I don't buy it. Doesn't really make sense for a camp to vastly steer a kid in a direction when you are comparing the 2 top schools in Duke and UK. And Jalen is the type of guy that ultimately makes his own decision, he wasn't and will never be steered by handlers like some other guys.

Interesting, could be true but I don't buy it. Doesn't really make sense for a camp to vastly steer a kid in a direction when you are comparing the 2 top schools in Duke and UK. And Jalen is the type of guy that ultimately makes his own decision, he wasn't and will never be steered by handlers like some other guys.
Unless he was paid or offered a house (Zion)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT