ADVERTISEMENT

Dallin Hall Opinion

Jun 10, 2015
I just watched the entire BYU win over Kansas, and a few things stood out about Dallin Hall.

He's a tough kid with great size and court vision, an extremely good handle on the ball, and an excellent first step.

Although he's a subpar free-throw shooter, he knocked down a couple of clutch ones toward the end of the game.

He has ice water in his veins, hitting several huge shots down the stretch to seal the win.

He was saddled with foul trouble for most of the game.

He's an aggressive and gritty defender, which seems to have led to his foul trouble in this game, although to be fair, the entire game was chippy.

The good:

• Steps up in big games, having a season-high 18 points in a win against then 17th-ranked San Diego State in November and matched that against Kansas in late February.
  • Has great court vision.
  • Possesses high-end handles and a quick first step.
  • Is a decent 3-point shooter, 36.7% for the season.
  • Maintains over a 2:1 assist-to-turnover ratio.
  • Has 2 years of eligibility remaining.
The bad:

• Shot 63.2% from the line last season.
Overall, he would be a great addition to next season's roster. It wouldn't surprise me if Reed left and Fland decommits, leading to Hall potentially becoming our starting PG next season. Of course, I hope Reed returns, and I also hope Fland stays committed.

It also goes without saying that if we somehow land two out of the three, we would be in great shape at the position.

Last edited:
I just watched the entire BYU win over Kansas, and a few things stood out about Dallin Hall.

He's a tough kid with great size and court vision, an extremely good handle on the ball, and an excellent first step.

Although he's a subpar free-throw shooter, he knocked down a couple of clutch ones toward the end of the game.

He has ice water in his veins, hitting several huge shots down the stretch to seal the win.

He's an aggressive and gritty defender, which seems to have led to his foul trouble in this game, although to be fair, the entire game was chippy.

The good:

• Steps up in big games, having a season-high 18 points in a win against then 17th-ranked San Diego State in November and matched that against Kansas in late February.
The bad:

Overall, he would be a great addition to next season's roster. It wouldn't surprise me if Reed left and Fland decommits, leading to Hall potentially becoming our starting PG next season. Of course, I hope Reed returns, and I also hope Fland stays committed.

It also goes without saying that if we somehow land two out of the three, we would be in great shape at the position.
An experienced talented tough point guard is a no brainer. We need to get out of this mode that we need 10 4 and five stars to off set terrible coaching. We want experienced/older guys that can play. This transition can get us track immediately for that. Taking the BYU guys that want to be here and has already played in the new system makes this rebuild a lot shorter. Having already played together for a season or two is a pretty big deal.

The good:

The bad:

Thank you

• Love
Reactions: Adolph B. Calipari
I like him. Not afraid to stop and pop four feet behind the three-point line.

I just had a guy DM me( don’t know why) and he said Kentucky will probably look at stojakovic in the portal

The good:

The bad:

How does a guard from BYU shoot 63% from the line?

Reactions: IbnSaran
It was some bullcrap like it always is at Kansas. Both of their starting guards had 4 and had to sit for a chunk of the second half. Definitely some questionable foul calls. Hunter Dickinson got freethrows anytime someone breathed on him. I think the refs went to the monitor like 3 times also.

He came in late and was able to not get the fifth long enough to put Kansas away. Kind of reminds me of an Anthony Epps and Travis Ford mix. One good thing about him and possibly other BYU players is maturity. I believe Hall still has 2 more years and is probably 22 years old. This is the kind of player that Cal complained about his young players having to deal with.

Reactions: Adolph B. Calipari
Stojackic, Cade Tyson, Blackmon, and Jordan pope are the four I like the most. I don’t know any bigs that would fit what pope wants to do yet
Robbie Avila, Amari Williams and Danny Wolf would be perfect guys for the 5 spot in Pope's offense. All are big, physical guys but are mobile enough and shoot the 3 well enough to get the job done on the perimeter when the opportunity presents itself. For this offense to be at its best, you need guys at all 5 positions who can pass and shoot from deep.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Robbie Avila, Amari Williams and Danny Wolf would be perfect guys for the 5 spot in Pope's offense. All are big, physical guys but are mobile enough and shoot the 3 well enough to get the job done on the perimeter when the opportunity presents itself. For this offense to be at its best, you need guys at all 5 positions who can pass and shoot from deep.
I'm not sold on Avila being able to guard sec players. He could give some valuable mins but he can't be your first option

Reactions: M4CAT
I'm not sold on Avila being able to guard sec players. He could give some valuable mins but he can't be your first option
I haven't seen much of their games but seems to me that a 6'10 guy playing in the MVC should have more than 6.6 rebounds, 0.6 blocks per game especially with the physicality in the SEC. After watching last year's team get lit up on defense and the bigs not able to stop guards either. Williams and Igor Milicic Jr. would be a better fit. Going to need some defense and athleticism to be prioritized. As we saw last year, can't outscore everyone and expect to win games.

It was some bullcrap like it always is at Kansas. Both of their starting guards had 4 and had to sit for a chunk of the second half. Definitely some questionable foul calls. Hunter Dickinson got freethrows anytime someone breathed on him. I think the refs went to the monitor like 3 times also.

He came in late and was able to not get the fifth long enough to put Kansas away. Kind of reminds me of an Anthony Epps and Travis Ford mix. One good thing about him and possibly other BYU players is maturity. I believe Hall still has 2 more years and is probably 22 years old. This is the kind of player that Cal complained about his young players having to deal with.
Kansas definitely seemed to be getting the benefit of the whistle in this game. It was kind of funny to watch it help BYU in a way, as Dickinson went 6-15 from the line, lol.

Dickinson also appeared a bit impulsive, which almost cost them. However, he was bailed out by the double technical, but not when he committed a boneheaded foul down the stretch with only 8 seconds left on the shot clock.

Last edited:
Reactions: KyCatFan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT