ADVERTISEMENT

Does Cal win another title?

No he will not. Not unless he changes how he pushes guys to the NBA and that's not happening. It'll either take a terrible year where a handful of guys that were supposed to be OAD just can't leave and he adds a great class with a once in a generation player like Davis. Chances of all that happening is very slim.

It took a NBA lockout threat pushing a top class of guys back here and getting our best player in history and also the #2 pick of the draft just to get the one he has. It justs isn't happening. Our teams under Cal will always find a way to lose late in the tournament.

Once again, you and the other whiners, who only come out after losses, cannot name one player Cal "pushed" out that wasn't a lottery pick.

But keep touting the false narrative.

No you are judging by championships because if you were judging by wins and losses what Cal has done for our program would give you a perpetual woody. Assuming you have a d$&k which is questionable. Most wind and NCAA wins since he's been here I believe so stop lying.

Yeah. Kinda like Bill Self does at Kansas, right? Win a bunch of games during the year and lose in the tournament. What's that get ya? Is the ultimate goal not a national title?

This team deserves better..not sure he will win anymore. He needs a mix of upper-class men to balance the 1 and done guys.

The 38-1 team deserved better as well.

I think he wins another one. I think we will be in contention every year, and a year unfolds where we have a roster with combination of stud frosh and experienced guys. But getting this close and not closing the deal is a tough way to go.

It's going to be hard to win the title period but it is really hard when you have to do it all in 1 year with freshman. It seems this team is always 1 player away. 2012 and 2015 were the two seasons we had experience guys coming back that really mattered while adding stud freshman. Davis in 2012 plus others and KAT in 2015 plus others.

It's just really hard to win a title. Need a little luck on the way.

Yeah. Kinda like Bill Self does at Kansas, right? Win a bunch of games during the year and lose in the tournament. What's that get ya? Is the ultimate goal not a national title?

You really going to compare Self's early outs to Cal?

Do you really not know Cals' S16 and EE record compared to Self?

Reactions: JC CATS
Look at the four teams playing next weekend. Are they loaded with one and dones?

Cal will win the title of most first rounders in the draft. That's the one that matters to him. Players first remember?
Yeah Cal doesn't try to win titles... Are you really that ignorant of what he is doing? You do realize UK could have won today. He coached his azz off, I know you would have Fox, Monk and bam come back

IU fan here.

Yes.

Cal will win another title.

The freaking dude ALWAYS has you in the hunt and nearly ALWAYS goes deep into the NCAA tourney.
Thank you! I believe we would like Tubby, Billy G or Tom Crean so we can get some 4 year players in here

Daniel Orton.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. You obviously do not live in Lexington.

Orton didn't even tell Cal. He had to find out by someone else.

How about answering like this: "Daniel Orton?"

Then we know it is a guess of which you have no clue and that's ok.

Agreed championships are hard to win we did not win any in the 1960's with the best player in Ky history . I want to thank all of the Ky team and contingent for a fun season .

Once again, you and the other whiners, who only come out after losses, cannot name one player Cal "pushed" out that wasn't a lottery pick.

Even if he doesn't make them leave he sure as hell isnt trying to get them to return. I'm absolutely sick of watching 18 year olds get rich off our backs and we get shit in return.

Only at UK does the entire team think about leaving every year. UNC, Duke, KU and so on usually keep lotto picks for more than a year and up to 3-4 years in some cases while it's never even a question about our guys and we even lose guys who aren't even sure 1st rounders. It's absolutely bullshit.

Reactions: brianpoe
Because his teams have been so consistently good, it's becoming clear just how hard it is to win a title. Maybe I thought it would be easier with the talent he brings in. But man Cal's tenure so far has been full of unbelievable wins and some absolutely heartbreaking losss.

Does he win another one?

Good question. I've been wondering that since the NIT year. I'm really not sure. I think Cal's recipe for success is having some GOOD upperclassmen mixed in with one and done's. Darius Miller type seniors, not Willis or Hawkins type seniors.

Willis and Hawkins carried this team to the Elite 8, which is great. However, they're not on Darius Miller's level.

We will play fun basketball and win a lot of games. Win a championship as much as I pray for one I dont see it. Always too young. We will always have the #1 Recruiting titles. Most pro players. Look at Booker explodes just after he leaves us, or Skal. Anyway we always will know them then!

2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2017 suggests no.

Not sure any team in the last 7 years has had more opportunities to win a title and come up short.

Could literally argue that UK should have 2-3 more
You been waiting too. I thought this teams ceiling was sweet 16! He did this with a freshmen team against an expierenced team and should have won

Haven't read all of the responses in the thread.

Here is the most amazing stat in the Cal area. He has coached 20 players that earned 1st or 2nd team all SEC. only once has 1 of those players returned the following year...Terrence Jones. We need someone like Terrence Jones to come back and help lead us to a title.

Even if he doesn't make them leave he sure as hell isnt trying to get them to return. I'm absolutely sick of watching 18 year olds get rich off our backs and we get shit in return.

Only at UK does the entire team think about leaving every year. UNC, Duke, KU and so on usually keep lotto picks for more than a year and up to 3-4 years in some cases while it's never even a question about our guys and we even lose guys who aren't even sure 1st rounders. It's absolutely bullshit.

I agree with this. I do think we are too excited about getting them to leave so the new batch can come in. It might not be a bad thing at all for ALL of these kids to come back for another year.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
Cal will win another title. Faster, if he jumps on CBS/ESPN nutz. I am sickened, when politics places a program at a distinct disadvantage to start game, our Men played a great game. Maye hit that shot, a killing shot... Congrats..Nuff said

Haven't read all of the responses in the thread.

Here is the most amazing stat in the Cal area. He has coached 20 players that earned 1st or 2nd team all SEC. only once has 1 of those players returned the following year...Terrence Jones. We need someone like Terrence Jones to come back and help lead us to a title.

Good point

To some people here winning the title is not that important. Seriously.

I dont disagree with the premise of this, he definitely lets them make their own decisions. I know he has told a handful it might not be in their best interest but definitely did not press them to stay.

Probably the right thing to do, but I would press them hard if they were not guaranteed top 20 picks myself.

Yes, he is going to have UK in the conversation every year (I still think the '13 team could have made a nice run if NN doesnt get hurt)...thats all you can ask. We lost a 50/50 game in the Elite 8 with a brutal path just to get there. IT sucks, but what can you do?

Its hard to do. Only one team gets to do it every season.

I would like to have a favorable draw once, though.

Look at the four teams playing next weekend. Are they loaded with one and dones?

Cal will win the title of most first rounders in the draft. That's the one that matters to him. Players first remember?
Such an embarrassing argument. Do you not even consider the statistical issues with what you're saying?

This is only a relevant point if even close to half the teams are trying to win with multiple one and dones. The sample size is tiny. Kentucky has had more success than any school since 2010. The only school that's even close is Duke, and, wouldn't ya know it, they're the only other school out of 350 in D1 that has rosters that start multiple OADs most years.

The stats actually bear out the opposite of your argument if you aren't a gigantic idiot.

Good question. I've been wondering that since the NIT year. I'm really not sure. I think Cal's recipe for success is having some GOOD upperclassmen mixed in with one and done's. Darius Miller type seniors, not Willis or Hawkins type seniors.

Willis and Hawkins carried this team to the Elite 8, which is great. However, they're not on Darius Miller's level.

People always say this.

No one ever answers the following question:

Which top recruit do you say no to in order to sign a less talented, less athletic one that may stay longer?

So basically we need the NBA to threaten another lockout and then find a player as good or better than Davis to add to the team? Shouldn't be too hard.

Face it, we lucked out in 2012. Everything aligned perfectly for that team.

Man, you really do hate Calipari, don't you?

Wait a minute, is your name Kenny?

Such an embarrassing argument. Do you not even consider the statistical issues with what you're saying?

This is only a relevant point if even close to half the teams are trying to win with multiple one and dones. The sample size is tiny. Kentucky has had more success than any school since 2010. The only school that's even close is Duke, and, wouldn't ya know it, they're the only other school out of 350 in D1 that has rosters that start multiple OADs most years.

The stats actually bear out the opposite of your argument if you aren't a gigantic idiot.

The guy hasn't made a logical post in this entire thread.

Reactions: Jkwo
Probably not. Look at Kentucky's bracket this year. Look at how today's game was officiated. The NCAA won't let it happen.

This is probably true unfortunately. Brackets have never been inCals favor. The whistle is often unfair and not enough players with moxy returning.

People always say this.

No one ever answers the following question:

Which top recruit do you say no to in order to sign a less talented, less athletic one that may stay longer?

I agree and that's the hard part. I'm sure that with a combination of our freshman this year and incoming freshman, there would be some that we could live without.

That's why Cal is the highest paid coach in college athletics.

This is absurd. We get shit in return? How about being in the hunt every single year? Being the most watched team in the country? 30 win seasons? Those kids don't come here and we're back where we were in the 2000's with lots of seniors that can't win.

I'm as disappointed as anybody when we don't win it, but there's a dozen of factors that go into it, only about half of which happen on the court. Go look at the videos of Fox and Bam after the game and tell me that the kids only care about getting rich off our backs.

To some people here winning the title is not that important. Seriously.
I dont disagree with the premise of this, he definitely lets them make their own decisions. I know he has told a handful it might not be in their best interest but definitely did not press them to stay.

Probably the right thing to do, but I would press them hard if they were not guaranteed top 20 picks myself.

He can't press them hard. He has to clear them out for the next class who are going to be his starters and get most of the PT

Welcome back, Zay. It's just so shocking to me that he picks this exact time to start posting again - to lead his legion of idiots who legitimately argue that a guy who has the second most championships, most wins, most final fours, and by far the most E8s (6/8) of any coach in the country while at UK is underachieving.

And it has nothing to do with winning the title being unimportant.

It has everything to do with the reality of the history of the program.

If what Cal is doing isn't good enough, then there have only been like 3 coaching runs in history that have been good enough. And that's a recipe to be perpetually miserable - who does that sound like around here?

They just have some bitter weird fetish with Cal. They would either prefer to go to the F4 every 5 years with Izzo or at least they make it sound like they would.

I have no notion of how to connect with that mentality.

I'm getting in on this late Brian, sorry, but I have to comment. I do not believe Cal will win another title and I'm not whining. Cals theory doesn't work. Relying on inexperience, man did it show today, will cost us at the end of every season. I've held this position for a while and I've stated it numerous times.

Next year we will have no upperclassmen. None. We will have a fantastic group of freshmen who will wilt at the end of the season, yet again. Hump will be a fool not to transfer and I'm sure he will.

So long as you like the "almost" years, Cals experiment is great. I prefer a little more considering the incredible talent that has passed through.

Cal had a really bad day today. For 8M I expect a bit more than that too.

We went 14 years because of Tubby and Billy Clyde. When we are putting 3-4 first rounds picks into the NBA every year we should be finishing the job at this point of the year and not losing to Wisconsin, UCONN and UNC this game.
Um, you think some of those guys are drafted on potential and get much better after they leave here. we get them when they are 18 years old, what kind of season do we have if we have a Jr Booker this year?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT